Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I think you should get all your family financial information together then call the Dave Ramsey radio
    show. Dave has to be one of the smartest financial guy you will ever listen to. He always tells
    it like it is on his show and will not steer you wrong. I would trust his advice all the way. What do you have
    to lose.......

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    he fell to the power of the pussy?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    he fell to the power of the pussy?
    The pussy agreed to a compromise, imho.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    There's a reason why God gave you a man's sexual organ and nonetheless a woman's body size, what you said is basically a 's logic imho. There're millions of es out there whom you can stick your 2-incher in, but one doesn't have a second mom or dad so just like my sook said it is an easy choice. His parents were wrong to buy an estate that was beyond their ability to afford, or it meant that they had too much optimism and too little vision into the future. Taking a big loan is never a smart choice even though you earn decent money currently, because you never know when the next crisis is going to hit the fragile economy. But a man doesn't have the luxury to free himself from such quagmire as a does imho.

A has every right to choose the way of life which she thinks is the best for her own well being, and the guy who she thinks she can have the most happiness living with, but someone who has a between his legs should never think that way imho. Sexual pleasure should never be placed above a man's responsibility tbh. For 9, it's a choice between living a happy life and being a good person. A is a and no one is gonna force a to sacrifice anything of her own for the interest of other people, but a man shouldn't be the same imho.
    This is insane and makes perfect sense at the same time.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

I understand that it sucks man - but what's the long term solution? you move in, pay the mortgage for a bit - then what? your mom still only works part time
    and your dad is still unemployed.

The only way you should offer any kind of financial assistance is if they're willing to sit down with you and go over EVERYTHING. Then you come up with ways to support/help them.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Just talked to my family a few hours ago and we have all agreed on downsizing the house. I don't want my Dad to work anymore..I really don't. My Mum is more than qualified to get 70k a year easily. She plans to quit her current job right now and find something more stable.

The real heroes are my GF and my 18 year old bro. GF didn't like the idea of me moving back so our compromise was me paying only utility bills and Internet bills until my family gets situated. I can't say I wasn't pissed at her for not being supportive, but @DPG2190 allowed me to understand her situation.. Basically, I'm going to be able to help out my parents financially without moving back.

My 18 year old younger bro is working full time and going to school..He's staying with my parents but instead of saving the money he makes like he usually does, he's going to be helping my parents every month. I realize he probably only makes about 1800 a month, but it's a huge help.

All of a sudden everything is green.

Thanks to everyone that gave their honest opinions and legit advice.
    Make sure your mom doesn't quit until she has a new job lined up.

And honestly, your dad should be finding a way to make any kind of income.....it sounds like your parents basically have no retirement savings.

What happens 10 years from now? are you gonna sacrifice your own future and take care of them for the next 10-20 years?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Make sure your mom doesn't quit until she has a new job lined up.

And honestly, your dad should be finding a way to make any kind of income.....it sounds like your parents basically have no retirement savings.

What happens 10 years from now? are you gonna sacrifice your own future and take care of them for the next 10-20 years?
    yes, my mum won't quit till she gets a new job.

My dad is physically incapable of working bro.

But you're right my parents have very little retirement savings...Hopefully i figure out a way in the few years to make great money or else my parents are going down the road of 1000 dollars every month of government retirement income...Won't be enough.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    $2900 per month is ridiculous on their and your brother's income...downsize immediately...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just to clarify, 2900 was cheap a few years ago...but some bad investment and ruined family income.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    $2900/month! Do your parents live in NYC?
    That is a huge mortgage payment for Texas, and I would imagine, Canada as well.

Nothing says you can't approach your parents and just give them whatever you can afford.

It would be a generally bad idea to move back in with your parents, especially with a GF in tow. Wife and I lived with her parents after we were married for a brief spell. Not pretty.

Your parents aren't *that* old, but if they don't want the help, there isn't really much you can do. If they don't want you to help with the mortgage, you can simply pick up their utilities, or some groceries now and then.

Don't be fixated on teh mortgage. Any money you give them for any purpose will help. Negotiate to see what they want.

My parents are almost in the same boat. Still can't get my dad to tell me if he is willing to accept help. Pride can be a hard thing to set aside.

Good luck.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

But you're right my parents have very little retirement savings...Hopefully i figure out a way in the few years to make great money or else my parents are going down the road of 1000 dollars every month of government retirement income...Won't be enough.
    Most people in the US are in the same boat. ALmost no one has saved enough for retirement.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think you should get all your family financial information together then call the Dave Ramsey radio
    show. Dave has to be one of the smartest financial guy you will ever listen to. He always tells
    it like it is on his show and will not steer you wrong. I would trust his advice all the way. What do you have
    to lose.......
    +1.

As an accountant and finance professional, who has done a lot of homework for his own finances/retirement, I have yet to hear any bad advice when I tune in to Dave. He is a guru to whom I would extend a lot of trust.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    +1.

As an accountant and finance professional, who has done a lot of homework for his own finances/retirement, I have yet to hear any bad advice when I tune in to Dave. He is a guru to whom I would extend a lot of trust.
    He is decent if you're basically clueless and can't control spending - so works for the average american family.

Some of his advice is plain stupid - like never using a credit card, for example.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Can he use the internet? he can probably find some work from home job - probably won't be much, but still better than 0.

It's not all bad - while they don't have retirement savings, it does sound like you and your brother at least care - in some cultures, it's basically expected

for the kids to take care of the parents in their old age.

I mean, I'm a jew, I wouldn't give my parents jack even if they were out on the street, but good on you if you want to put them before yourself.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    He is decent if you're basically clueless and can't control spending - so works for the average american family.

Some of his advice is plain stupid - like never using a credit card, for example.
    if he said that about credit cards, I concur.

Even if you have for a credit score, if you're good with on time payments, it's ridiculously easy to get cards with 0% interest rates for 6 months to a year.

Once the introductory rate expires, you cut up the card (but don't cancel).

if you're responsible, it's always good to have a credit card with a few thou on it ready for emergency.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I think Dave's no credit card thing is for people who are NOT responsible, IMO. At least that's my take from what he's said.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    if he said that about credit cards, I concur.

Even if you have for a credit score, if you're good with on time payments, it's ridiculously easy to get cards with 0% interest rates for 6 months to a year.

Once the introductory rate expires, you cut up the card (but don't cancel).

if you're responsible, it's always good to have a credit card with a few thou on it ready for emergency.
    Absolutely - credit cards are basically free money, assuming you're not incompetent.

That being said, his target demographic is christian lower to middle income families, so his advice works for them.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I think Dave's no credit card thing is for people who are NOT responsible, IMO. At least that's my take from what he's said.
    Nah, he is pretty adamant about no credit cars, ever.

Again, I think his advice is sensible for his target demographic - he focuses on not spending on you can't afford, not sending your kids to 40k a year colleges, sensible, used cars, etc.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I listen to Dave and he is not against credit cards. He has recommend that you get a low limit credit card to help establish your
    credit. People who have maxed out their credit cards and are broke are the ones he tells to cut up the card and to pay it off.
    I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards. Most callers to his show have money problems that he helps
    them on what to do. He is not for middle class whites as it has been suggested. I have heard Dave help anyone of any
    ethnicitywho want help on what to do. Dave is into tough love for everyone. he has helped people a few years out of
    high school who have find that their first job wont pay for a new car and a $250 a month cell phone bill. Dave has
    helped the family of a parent who has died on what to do. Dave has books on how to live on a budget. All you have
    to do is call his show and ask him for help on what to do. Free advice is the right price.....
    I am posting the link to his web page ,and at the bottom of the page are some links for story's and money management tools.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Duke Blue Devils

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Quite a few people, if not an outright majority shouldn't use credit cards. Again, not bad advice, on the whole.

Financial education in this country is sorely lacking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I listen to Dave and he is not against credit cards. He has recommend that you get a low limit credit card to help establish your
    credit. People who have maxed out their credit cards and are broke are the ones he tells to cut up the card and to pay it off.
    I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards. Most callers to his show have money problems that he helps
    them on what to do. He is not for middle class whites as it has been suggested. I have heard Dave help anyone of any
    ethnicitywho want help on what to do. Dave is into tough love for everyone. he has helped people a few years out of
    high school who have find that their first job wont pay for a new car and a $250 a month cell phone bill. Dave has
    helped the family of a parent who has died on what to do. Dave has books on how to live on a budget. All you have
    to do is call his show and ask him for help on what to do. Free advice is the right price.....
    I am posting the link to his web page ,and at the bottom of the page are some links for story's and money management tools.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/
    Again, +1.

I kinda thought that the "never use credit cards" was not quite right to what I have heard him say.

In certain situations they are quite beneficial, such as sudden emergencies (major car repairs) that are very useful cash flow management tools.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Can he use the internet? he can probably find some work from home job - probably won't be much, but still better than 0.

It's not all bad - while they don't have retirement savings, it does sound like you and your brother at least care - in some cultures, it's basically expected

for the kids to take care of the parents in their old age.

I mean, I'm a jew, I wouldn't give my parents jack even if they were out on the street, but good on you if you want to put them before yourself.
    Also my thoughts. Working from home at a computer is an option for some.

One assumes though, that a guy in his 60s is vaguely computer literate. Tenuous, in my experience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People who have maxed out their credit cards and are broke are the ones he tells to cut up the card and to pay it off.
    I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards.
    This could be a whole nother thread/subject.
    Before one pays off the ccards, one needs to make damn sure of who exactly they are paying and how much.
    Tons of third party vulture companies buy the credit card debt from the skanks, i mean banks for pennies on the dollar.
    Also, often times if not always the third party vultures have NO authority to take the bad info off the credit record.
    I know an absolute know it all in the credit repair industry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Lol your prents are "too old" to work in their 50's and 60's? Wtf? Lazy asses it sounds like, gotta have their kids help them make ends meet

Thread Information