My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/amir_johnson/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Johnson

48MOH:

http://www.48minutesof .com/2009/...t-scuttlebutt/

Chad Ford reports that the Pistons are open to moving their 15th pick and Amir Johnson. That’s an option the Spurs should consider, especially since Detroit’s primary interest is clearing cap. Just two summers ago, the Spurs offered Johnson a contract, so we know they would have some interest. And he’s a fit on a few important levels. He’d provide an infusion of youth and a legit shot blocking presence alongside Tim Duncan. Moreover, his contract expires after next season. So, if he flops, the Spurs are off the hook. Low-risk, high reward. The Pistons draft 15th, and at that spot the Spurs would have their pick of whatever small forward suited their fancy, whether Omri Casspi or otherwise. If Ford is correct–that Dumars is primarily interested in creating cap space in advance of free agency–then the Spurs are a good conversation partner for the Pistons. And, if I’m Pop and Buford, I would think about sweetening the deal by taking back Kwame Brown’s contract. Brown is almost certain to take his player option for next season, and that’s 4 million Dumars could use off the books. I know, I know. Kwame Brown? But he’s not as bad as you think, and his contract expires after next season. It’s not a big deal. I like that this scenario addresses roster needs without doing violence to the 2010 cap strategy.
    Last edited by Bruno; 01-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather see Spurs giving a chance to Mahinmi than getting Amir Johnson. Johnson had his chance with Detroit and he failed. No to a trade for Amir Johnson.

Now if it's a trade for the 15th pick, I rather see Spurs taking Kwame Brown (if he picks his option before the draft) than Johnson. And I'm sure you can do better than Casspi with a 15th pick. Using a that high pick on him would be quite a waste.
    Last edited by Bruno; 05-22-2009 at 03:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather see Spurs giving a chance to Mahinmi than getting Amir Johnson. Johnson had his chance with Detroit and he failed. No to a trade for Amir Johnson.

Now if it's a trade for the 15th pick, I rather see Spurs taking Kwame Brown (if he picks his option before the draft) than Johnson. And I'm sure you can do better than Casspi with a 15th pick. Using a that high pick on him would be quite a waste.
    At 15, they'd probably be looking at someone like Earl Clark or Austin Daye. the depth at that spot, as Ford notes, is at PG though - not exactly a position of weakness for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they are shopping it
    amir makes 3.6 million
    oberto for him and the 15 pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they are shopping it
    amir makes 3.6 million
    oberto for him and the 15 pick
    This seems like a ridiculously good deal for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, even if Amir amounts to nothing, it's worth it just for the 15. It's a great for whoever gets it. I suspect Dumars knows he's selling cheap, but it's a win for him too. He clears cap, doesn't take a rookie contract, and can make a run at Boozer or Bosh or whomever he wants.

FWIW: I'm not convinced the juror has a verdict on Amir Johnson. He's so young that the he could turn the corner. If not, then the Spurs lose nothing for letting him ride the bench for a year. Low risk/high reward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, even if Amir amounts to nothing, it's worth it just for the 15. It's a great for whoever gets it. I suspect Dumars knows he's selling cheap, but it's a win for him too. He clears cap, doesn't take a rookie contract, and can make a run at Boozer or Bosh or whomever he wants.

FWIW: I'm not convinced the juror has a verdict on Amir Johnson. He's so young that the he could turn the corner. If not, then the Spurs lose nothing for letting him ride the bench for a year. Low risk/high reward.
    do you agree with Bruno that it would be better to get Kwame Brown instead if Detroit just wants cap space?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is interesting Bruno, but it is not like Amir has not shown flashes. It would be good to have both Amir and Ian as a back up plan. I would not mind either Amir or Kwame.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you agree with Bruno that it would be better to get Kwame Brown instead if Detroit just wants cap space?
    Tough decision. Either way the Spurs win. Right now, I think Brown is the better player. But my book is not shut on Johnson.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump from a long time ago.

Over the last 4 years, Amir has really developed, and his adjusted +/- Numbers are pretty stellar. (See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing and http://talkingpracticeblog.com/)

With us having cap space, we could try to convince the Raptors to deal with us based around taking on Amir's contract and the #40 for our 1st and Bonner/S&T Neal(If they're interested in shooting). He has issues with foul trouble, but that's not a big deal if he's in a 4 big rotation.(Assuming Tiago is kept). Trading for a player like this would also mean we can use the MLE(though what the best option is depends on How much Manu and Tiago sign for, if we have 12m left over(Highly unlikely) It's probably better to go after Millsap/West/Free Agent X)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump from a long time ago.

Over the last 4 years, Amir has really developed, and his adjusted +/- Numbers are pretty stellar. (See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing and http://talkingpracticeblog.com/)

With us having cap space, we could try to convince the Raptors to deal with us based around taking on Amir's contract and the #40 for our 1st and Bonner/S&T Neal(If they're interested in shooting). He has issues with foul trouble, but that's not a big deal if he's in a 4 big rotation.(Assuming Tiago is kept). Trading for a player like this would also mean we can use the MLE(though what the best option is depends on How much Manu and Tiago sign for, if we have 12m left over(Highly unlikely) It's probably better to go after Millsap/West/Free Agent X)
    Raps wont do that and they cant S&T Neal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raps wont do that
    Yeah, probably, but

and they cant S&T Neal
    What? They can't do it during draft night, but as far as I know, the Spurs would be able to do that in July. You may mean that the Raptors can't do that, but that's not true, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? They can't do it during draft night, but as far as I know, the Spurs would be able to do that in July. You may mean that the Raptors can't do that, but that's not true, either.
    I dont think he gets S&T at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont think he gets S&T at all.
    Sure, but that's not the same thing as saying that they can't do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but that's not the same thing as saying that they can't do it.
    Can be.

Thread Information