Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    makes patfo look really ing bad for the lack of return on the kawhi trade. That type of return could’ve propelled the Spurs well into future success. Looking at all the young talent the pelicans have acquired is pretty impressive. It doesn’t guarantee success but you would have to think the franchise is on an upward approach. Meanwhile I can see the Spurs current roster getting worse in a mere year or two.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    you must not read downstairs, more than half the spurfan on the board thinks the Laker youngins aren't worth their weight in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile I can see the Spurs current roster getting worse in a mere year or two.
    The Spurs have a top five young roster in the league . . .

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD wanted to go to the Lakers and has committed to staying long-term. Kawhi did not give Toronto that commitment. That's the key difference. Btw, the Lakers still won this trade. Whichever team gets the best player almost always wins the trade, IMO.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too soon. You need to start a Scola thread.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD wanted to go to the Lakers and has committed to staying long-term. Kawhi did not give Toronto that commitment. That's the key difference. Btw, the Lakers still won this trade. Whichever team gets the best player almost always wins the trade, IMO.
    right, this isn't football... 5 starters vs. 25 starters; 13 active players vs. 46 active players; and 15 man roster vs. 53 man roster. The lower the number, the bigger the importance of top-heavy star power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you must not read downstairs, more than half the spurfan on the board thinks the Laker youngins aren't worth their weight in
    Let's put it this way: The young players on the Lakers now are worth more than the ones that were on the team last year.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count

mavericks, sixers, kings, suns, pelicans, grizzlies, celtics, hawks, nuggets, clippers all have a better collection of under 24 players, and minnesota utah have at least 1 player under 24 better than any on spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats a blind homer take tbh. Derrick white is nice and maybe Murray lives up to some of the hype he gets around here but the spurs lack a superstar prospect. He’ll they don’t even have a perennial all star talent level young player in those two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And kl would have done the same, and we could have received decent compensation like Avery Bradley, Tobias Harris and the 13th or 14th pick which was rumored to be the offer froim the clippers, but patfo wanted to him over and send him to canada where he would wither away, but that didn't happen and they look totally incompetent for getting a head case, a lumbering center whose style of play is going away, and the second worst pick in the first round. People need to stop making excuses for pop, he needs to go run julian castros "presidential run" instead of running the Spurs into the ground. It's like he gave up after 2014. Retire already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't compare because we know Lakers offers were low. Uncle leaked he would sign with Lakers. Lakers were happy to wait out. When AD happened, Lakers were desperate. All of a sudden it leaked Leonard wasn't keen on coming.

If AD and Leonard timeline switch, Spurs get the same deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And kl would have done the same, and we could have received decent compensation like Avery Bradley, Tobias Harris and the 13th or 14th pick which was rumored to be the offer froim the clippers, but patfo wanted to him over and send him to canada where he would wither away, but that didn't happen and they look totally incompetent for getting a head case, a lumbering center whose style of play is going away, and the second worst pick in the first round. People need to stop making excuses for pop, he needs to go run julian castros "presidential run" instead of running the Spurs into the ground. It's like he gave up after 2014. Retire already.
    I don't know how that deal is better. Paying Harris 30mil is going to destroy the team he signs for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe the situations are comparable. As I recall, the Kwitter's camp leaked he would only re-sign with the Lakers, whereas all AD's camp said was that they will consider all possibilities as an FA next year. One of them poisoned the well, and thus forced his return value way down: Every team, including the Lakers tried to low-ball us...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    makes patfo look really ing bad for the lack of return on the kawhi trade. That type of return could’ve propelled the Spurs well into future success. Looking at all the young talent the pelicans have acquired is pretty impressive. It doesn’t guarantee success but you would have to think the franchise is on an upward approach. Meanwhile I can see the Spurs current roster getting worse in a mere year or two.

Yeah - you tell em OP!

Why can't the Spurs win championships like the Hornets????

oh wait!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA and Boston wanted AD more than Kawhi. If LA wanted Kawhi, they would’ve made that offer over what Toronto offered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how that deal is better. Paying Harris 30mil is going to destroy the team he signs for.
    Then we let him walk and get cap space if he wasn't a fit, or s&t him and roll the dice again..people will try to spin it how they want, dd and the 29 pick for the best player in the game was a horrendous return.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA and Boston wanted AD more than Kawhi. If LA wanted Kawhi, they would’ve made that offer over what Toronto offered.
    The LA I am referring to is the clippers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't compare because we know Lakers offers were low. Uncle leaked he would sign with Lakers. Lakers were happy to wait out. When AD happened, Lakers were desperate. All of a sudden it leaked Leonard wasn't keen on coming.

If AD and Leonard timeline switch, Spurs get the same deal.
    This is the correct take,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have zero faith in this front office when it comes to the draft. If we had the number 1 pick they wouldn’t pick Zion. If they traded Kawhi to the clippers and had those 2 1st round picks I’m confident they’d screw it up. So you’d basically be trading Kawhi for Harris. If they through in Trez in addition to Harris that would be better but I don’t remember that being a part of the offer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The LA I am referring to is the clippers.
    I didn't read your post, I was referring to the thread le. Maybe SA should have taken the Clipper deal, but maybe the salary they would add via those players was something they didn't want. Avery Bradley is overrated and not that good and Tobias Harris was an expiring contract. The other two draft picks were mid round picks. They did well for the Clippers, but those are always question marks. I think you could talk yourself into Poetl and DeRozen and a first being better than the Clipper offer. I don't know how the salary lines up.

But I think the Kawhi deal is not comparable to the AD deal. AD didn't sit out a year with a mystery injury that some said was permanent. And I think Boston feared he couldn't convince Kawhi to stay. And Lakers wanted AD more and were probably saving their assets for him. I mean, Lebron, the unofficial GM was probably working with AD to get him to demand a trade this year knowing the timing would require NO to trade. I'm sure that was the LA plan when they signed LeBron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people starting multiple threads comparing these situations? Was AD also coming off a season where he played only 9 games, refused to sit behind the bench and support his teammates, and hid in the basement in NY to avoid talking to anyone? Teams weren't offering much for Kawhi -- it was too risky. Did Toronto's risk pay off? Sure. But no one knew was going on with Kawhi physically, mentally, or emotionally. And his group had made it known that they only wanted LA long-term. Stop acting like this is even slightly comparable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they were supposed to get a huge haul how exactly? Number 2 laid down, faked an injury and was hiding in NY. Not exactly high trade value..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You cant be serious???

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't equate the 2. First off, Kawhi had only played in 9 games and teams had some concern about his health and the cir stances surrounding the Lakers situation was completely different. After missing the playoffs, they had to get another star on board, which is why Griff was able to extract so much. Lastly, who cares. Move on and be excited about up and coming team. I think we will be in contention next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people starting multiple threads comparing these situations? Was AD also coming off a season where he played only 9 games, refused to sit behind the bench and support his teammates, and hid in the basement in NY to avoid talking to anyone? Teams weren't offering much for Kawhi -- it was too risky. Did Toronto's risk pay off? Sure. But no one knew was going on with Kawhi physically, mentally, or emotionally. And his group had made it known that they only wanted LA long-term. Stop acting like this is even slightly comparable.
    I am sure some people were questioning how badly he wanted to play anymore? Too young to retire, he was going to play, but was something mentally wrong to the point that he was never going to recover that drive to be a top 5 player? That last season with the Spurs was the wackiest I ever saw in 25 years watching the NBA.. I still never heard of anyone missing a whole season when the doctors tell you like 5 times over "You are healthy"

Thread Information