Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is still playing some of the best basketball of his career, is in great shape and brings everything you’d want in a vet. He’s going to garner annual MLE offers from contenders for the next few years at least. We probably won’t sniff the playoffs over that time frame.
    You might be right. But the NBA landscape changes quickly these days. Teams like the lakers who were dominant 2 years ago suddenly suck. And teams like Chicago that were at the bottom of the standings 2 years ago are suddenly battling for the top seed in the East. There’s just no way of knowing what the NBA will look like in 5 years, let alone 2 or 3. Time will tell.

Would love to see Patty back in SA at some point though. Only seems fitting.
    Last edited by BatManu20; 01-22-2022 at 08:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi will never have his jersey retired here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is like top ten in multiple categories of franchise rankings and was only here for parts of 6 seasons. That should be recognized, combined with his off court work which was substantial.

You absolutely put him in the rafters, imo. Like someone else said, we don't have 17 championships and obviously haven't been as selective with our rafter retirements...Good news is it also doesn't actually retire a different number.

Also he's a native Texan and probable HOF if he rings. Being a 20K point scorer makes him one of only 48 players in NBA history. And he likely finishes above both Gervin and Robinson on the scoring list, inside the top 40 all-time He ought to be an absolute lock for a jersey retirement based on who is already up there, tbh.

And shame on those saying no given what he meant to theSpurs after neph did everything possible to this franchise.
    Last edited by offset formation; 01-22-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA is like top ten in multiple categories of franchise rankings and was only here for parts of 6 seasons. That should be recognized, combined with his off court work which was substantial.

You absolutely put him in the rafters, imo. Like someone else said, we don't have 17 championships and obviously haven't been as selective with our rafter retirements...Good news is it also doesn't actually retire a different number.

Also he's a native Texan and probable HOF if he rings. Being a 20K point scorer makes him one of only 48 players in NBA history. And he likely finishes above both Gervin and Robinson on the scoring list, inside the top 40 all-time He ought to be an absolute lock for a jersey retirement based on who is already up there, tbh.

And shame on those saying no given what he meant to theSpurs after neph did everything possible to this franchise.

Agreed that Aldridge’s jersey should be retired. Most people seem to think Patty is a no. The real question appears to be Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed that Aldridge’s jersey should be retired. Most people seem to think Patty is a no. The real question appears to be Leonard.
    Leonard is an absolute no. There is no way this would be considered by PATFO. I’m confident in that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say no. I know AJ is up there, but AJ led us to our first le. There's a big difference I think. Patty was a special player and I loved him as a Spur (even when half you s hated him) but nah. That being said, I won't be angry if they do.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard is an absolute no. There is no way this would be considered by PATFO. I’m confident in that.
    If the Clippers never materialize then his only shot at getting his jersey retired is from a single year in Toronto. I feel like the Raptors would do it but they might be sour about him leaving as well or think he should’ve stayed longer to earn that honor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs gonna absolutely retire Patty Mill‘s number. And they can retire Drew Eubanks too while they are at it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they got averys number up there who didnt do much compared to patty

patty wouldve had 2 rings if it werent for some cuck jealousy on the team getting outplayed by scrubs for fmvp throwing the series

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should Patty have his number retired? No.

Will the Spurs retire his jersey? Probably.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Q&A: How Patty Mills made 'very difficult' decision to leave San Antonio

What was your mindset last summer when you were headed into free agency knowing you could be leaving San Antonio?

I like to say that it was extraordinary cir stances knowing that free agency was going to fall at the same time as the Olympic games. Although you knew that going out, there was really no perfect way that you could prepare for something like that. I did what I thought I had to do from doing my own research and trying to have as much information as I could because I knew that going into these training camps my head was gonna be down and I guess in the trenches as we were trying to achieve our first Olympic medal. So, knowing that free agency was gonna hit right in the middle of it, it was definitely extraordinary cir stances. I look back at it and I guess in a perfect world I would’ve had all the conversations necessary that I would have liked to have before making my decision. But in reality, it just wasn’t [possible]. The decision was made after the quarterfinal game against Argentina going into the semifinal against the US. So, I think extraordinary cir stances definitely sum up my free agency.

Was it difficult to leave?

Oh yeah. I think that’s what made it even more heightened emotions I guess over the extraordinary cir stances because I made a career-changing decision that was very difficult and very hard. I think why it was hard was because I was leaving a place, and more importantly, people, that have helped me grow up in a way. There were many emotions that made it difficult to leave, but [also] knowing at the same time this was the right decision for myself, for my wife, and my family.

Coach Pop is the type of guy that always seems to say exactly what you need to hear to make you feel better about making a tough decision like that. How did your conversations go with him during that time?

[Laughs]. Well, I talk about all the conversations [I needed to have]. In an ideal world, going through a free agency, I would have had all of the conversations that I would’ve [wanted] to have. But he was the first person that I obviously needed to tell before anyone else. In an ideal world, I would’ve loved to have conversations with Timmy and Manu — although I had conversations with him leading up — and other people within the organization, people that had an impact over my time there in San Antonio. But I remember coming back from the Argentinian quarterfinal game to the Olympic village in Tokyo. We’d just finished the quarterfinal. Big win.

It was pretty late at night, right?

It’s probably about 1 a.m. by the time I have dinner at the Olympic village, and here I am about to come meet the fork in the road on making this decision. So, it was very late at night. By the time I made my decision, it was past 3 a.m. I think it was almost 4 a.m. So, it was obviously too late to be able to make a phone call and say, ‘This is my decision. This is what I want to do.’ So, before getting out there, the U.S. time zone was about to wake up. So, the news was gonna come out. But I just sent him a text and let him know about what I was feeling and how I thought it was strange timing and very hard timing. But I just wanted to let him know what I wanted to do, assuming that I wasn’t going to (be able to catch up with him in the next day or so in person).

To my surprise, he responded within, I think it was like three minutes or something that I got a text back. It was one of those things where you send the text, have mixed feelings about sending the text in the first place, then, you put your phone on the bedside table. All of the sudden, before you can fall asleep, the phone vibrates and you’ve got a text back from him. So, I think finally we got to catch up. We played them in the semifinal game, and we got to catch up after the game, and then again after the medal games. I guess it was him having the words to describe this is what I remember him saying, and how it feels. But [he told me] that he loves me and he understands.

How did that feel?

I think that was the biggest type of thing for me to be able to, I guess, close the chapter with confidence, knowing that I have him [in my corner]. Obviously, all the love is still there, and he understands. We became close over that time [in San Antonio]. Hearing that from him [made the decision feel better]. It’s one of the hardest things about the NBA. When you grow to become close to people, it makes it hard to leave.

After reading this it sounds like the Spurs had communicated in advance they wanted Patty back. I’m sure he could have gotten a pretty lucrative 1yr deal from us 1yr 18mm or maybe something like 2yr 30mm given our cap space. Also confirms certain lines of communication probably still go through Pop and not Brian Wright lol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In other Aussie news, I had no idea this happened to Baynes. Scary.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ory-nba-center

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus? Hard pass. What are they going to do, sew his name onto Bowen’s jersey?

Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No to Patty, no to LMA .. no no no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about a section in the rafters dedicated to Pops Pets?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could name one of the snack bars after Patty, but that’s it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring injury, it’s looking like Patty’s gonna get himself another ring this year.

BKN is the team to beat imo. They look damn good and they don’t even have Simmons yet. Once he replaces Bruce Brown in the lineup, it’s a wrap. Nobody can match their offensive firepower when they’re healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA too. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get a ring tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring injury, it’s looking like Patty’s gonna get himself another ring this year.

BKN is the team to beat imo. They look damn good and they don’t even have Simmons yet.
    They are still 8th in the East...they are far from being the favorites.

I know they are dealing with injuries and what not, but it would be a "lightning in a bottle" run for them assuming KD stays healthy, Ben Simmons actually remembers how to play basketball, and even then...Kyrie is still limited to road games until the mandate changes.

When they are all together and playing well...yes, they are the team to beat. But that seems to be the story for Brooklyn the past few years....lots of talent on paper, but the games are played for a reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are still 8th in the East...they are far from being the favorites.

I know they are dealing with injuries and what not, but it would be a "lightning in a bottle" run for them assuming KD stays healthy, Ben Simmons actually remembers how to play basketball, and even then...Kyrie is still limited to road games until the mandate changes.

When they are all together and playing well...yes, they are the team to beat. But that seems to be the story for Brooklyn the past few years....lots of talent on paper, but the games are played for a reason.
    Yea this is under the assumption that the mandate will be lifted as announced of course. But Ben Simmons is just a bonus at this point, not a necessity. Anything he gives them is gravy. Getting rid of a career loser in Harden has made them better already imo. Addition by subtraction.

They added underrated but pivotal role players like Seth Curry and Goran Dragic, and to a lesser extent Andre Drummond. Offensively no one is on their level right now with KD and Kyrie playing the way they are and surrounded by so many knockdown shooters.

Remember, KD was a big toe away from dragging this Nets team to the Finals virtually by himself last season. And that was with their second leading scorer in Joe Harris completely disappearing in the ECF. KD is that good by himself when he’s healthy. This is also me taking into account that both the Warriors and Suns have looked rather unimpressive as of late. The Celtics are probably the best defensive team in the NBA, but offensively they can’t compete with this nets team if they are healthy imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milwaukee are the reigning champs so by definition they’re the team to beat. It’s theirs to lose. But I’m taking a healthy BKN team over them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea this is under the assumption that the mandate will be lifted as announced of course. But Ben Simmons is just a bonus at this point, not a necessity. Anything he gives them is gravy. Getting rid of a career loser in Harden has made them better already imo. Addition by subtraction.

They added underrated but pivotal role players like Seth Curry and Goran Dragic, and to a lesser extent Andre Drummond. Offensively no one is on their level right now with KD and Kyrie playing the way they are and surrounded by so many knockdown shooters.

Remember, KD was a big toe away from dragging this Nets team to the Finals virtually by himself last season. And that was with their second leading scorer in Joe Harris completely disappearing in the ECF. KD is that good by himself when he’s healthy. This is also me taking into account that both the Warriors and Suns have looked rather unimpressive as of late. The Celtics are probably the best defensive team in the NBA, but offensively they can’t compete with this nets team if they are healthy imo.
    Wrong. The actualized version of the Nets is obviously dangerous because of the superstar/star power and firepower in general, but they're too small guard/middling big heavy, light on wings and lacking two-way players in general.

Simmons is absolutely a necessity otherwise they'd need to rely heavily on Brown/Johnson, neither of whom can shoot and the former who is undersized, to guard top opposition wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Clippers never materialize then his only shot at getting his jersey retired is from a single year in Toronto. I feel like the Raptors would do it but they might be sour about him leaving as well or think he should’ve stayed longer to earn that honor.
    Who does Toronto fan deem more worthy to get their Jersey retired? Demar or Kawhi?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BKN is the team to beat imo. They look damn good and they don’t even have Simmons yet. Once he replaces Bruce Brown in the lineup, it’s a wrap. Nobody can match their offensive firepower when they’re healthy.

Nets definitely got better after trading away Bin Harden, but I still don't see them as the favorites tbh. IMO its:

1. Suns
    2. Dubs (if Klay/Donkey aren't done)
    3. Bucks
    4. Nets
    5. Heat

With the Grizz and Celtics having an outside shot.

Thread Information