Page 33 of 164 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, that's stupid.

He reminds me of Emoni Bates, who was supposed to be this incredible top pick from his class. Instead he went to Memphis and looks entirely average or below. Imagine if Emoni Bates decided to "work out on his own"; he'd be in the top six or seven picks right now. It's ing ridiculous.
    I don't see the comparison between the two at all, tbh. Sharpe may well bust but he has all the physical tools and basketball skills to be a star. Bates doesn't, he's slow, a terrible athlete, negative wingspan, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being recruited to Memphis isn’t the same as being recruited to UK. That being said, I wonder if Cal told him he would be red shirted? If so, it was a bad choice for Shaedon. He’ll be 19 at the draft with no college or gleague experience.
    He enrolled early for the 22-23 season. The plan was simply to get there and start training and preparing at a college level for the 23 year. That's still the plan according to mom.

Training at UK versus training at a high school, seems obvious which is better for him. Lots of kids are starting to early enroll at universities they committ to, to get thay extra training in. Normal for recruits but the thing about his being draft eligible is just being blown up by media pundits tbh. NBA would still have to approve it as well.

He was, for all intents and purposes, supposed to be a freshman next basketball season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He enrolled early for the 22-23 season. The plan was simply to get there and start training and preparing at a college level for the 23 year. That's still the plan according to mom.

Training at UK versus training at a high school, seems obvious which is better for him. Lots of kids are starting to early enroll at universities they committ to, to get thay extra training in. Normal for recruits but the thing about his being draft eligible is just being blown up by media pundits tbh. NBA would still have to approve it as well.

He was, for all intents and purposes, supposed to be a freshman next basketball season.
    Starting your freshman year at 19 isn’t ideal. Oh, and how could the NBA not approve a kid who will be 19 on draft night, and has spent a year in college, even if he didnt play ball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Shaedon Sharpe situation is a polarising one.

Chad Ford and Rafael Barlow discussed him on a recent podcast. Link down the bottom for those interested.

Long story short - Chad Ford is high on him based on the intel he is hearing from teams in the know. They think he would be the number #3 guy next year behind Wembanyama and Scoot Henderson. Chad’s argument came down to these guys see countless prospects in workouts/scrimmages/pre-game routine and are still genuinely wowed by what he can do.

Rafael was reticent for citing some of the reasons you’d expect, lack of game tape, the fact a lot of top prospects going into the season from HS, have underwhelmed ie. Caleb Houston, Patrick Baldwin JR., Jaden Hardy who too were thought to be lottery picks.

It’ll sure to be an interesting discussion leading into the draft.

FWIW, Chad had the Spurs taking Kendall Brown or Jalen Duran at 7 or 8. Well worth a listen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting your freshman year at 19 isn’t ideal. Oh, and how could the NBA not approve a kid who will be 19 on draft night, and has spent a year in college, even if he didnt play ball?
    It's normal to graduate at 18 and be 19 for freshman year. When you hear about kids being 18 -19 coming to the league, there's a reason their age is mentioned. It's much more rare. He hasn't been in college a year. He joined this semester through early enrollment. He qualified to graduate early and move on. This is becoming the norm for athletes coming out of HS. They take that early enrollment and train with the team while waiting for their first full year. It's better than wasting a semester at HS where they can't work out with staff nearly the same with UIL stipulations.

And the NBA HAS to approve his eligibility. It's a special rule for early enrollment athletes. He hasn't had a full year of college yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's normal to graduate at 18 and be 19 for freshman year. When you hear about kids being 18 -19 coming to the league, there's a reason their age is mentioned. It's much more rare. He hasn't been in college a year. He joined this semester through early enrollment. He qualified to graduate early and move on. This is becoming the norm for athletes coming out of HS. They take that early enrollment and train with the team while waiting for their first full year. It's better than wasting a semester at HS where they can't work out with staff nearly the same with UIL stipulations.

And the NBA HAS to approve his eligibility. It's a special rule for early enrollment athletes. He hasn't had a full year of college yet.
    If you graduate HS at 18, most of the time you enter your freshman year at 18. If he stays, he will BEGIN his freshman year at 19, and be 20 by the 2023 draft. That’s not ideal for a 1 and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the comparison between the two at all, tbh. Sharpe may well bust but he has all the physical tools and basketball skills to be a star. Bates doesn't, he's slow, a terrible athlete, negative wingspan, etc.
    Lol, okay, genius, go ahead and pick a guy who you don't even know can play college basketball. That's brilliant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Shaedon Sharpe situation is a polarising one.

Chad Ford and Rafael Barlow discussed him on a recent podcast. Link down the bottom for those interested.

Long story short - Chad Ford is high on him based on the intel he is hearing from teams in the know. They think he would be the number #3 guy next year behind Wembanyama and Scoot Henderson. Chad’s argument came down to these guys see countless prospects in workouts/scrimmages/pre-game routine and are still genuinely wowed by what he can do.

Rafael was reticent for citing some of the reasons you’d expect, lack of game tape, the fact a lot of top prospects going into the season from HS, have underwhelmed ie. Caleb Houston, Patrick Baldwin JR., Jaden Hardy who too were thought to be lottery picks.

It’ll sure to be an interesting discussion leading into the draft.

FWIW, Chad had the Spurs taking Kendall Brown or Jalen Duran at 7 or 8. Well worth a listen.

It seems completely incompetent to judge a player solely by individual or even group workouts. The point of college, which is admittedly corrupt and less than ideal, is that you not only get to see players in a team environment against appropriate compe ion, you get (hopefully) strong coaching in aspects that need to be improved. One of the biggest problems of the one-and-done era, which has impacted the NBA for years now, is that players still don't really know how to be coached or improve. They just... play. This has hurt the guys coming out of Duke once Ratface switched to leaning on these players. It hurts a lot of Kentucky players. Sure, there are exceptions, but after a burst of exceptional play, they often stall out.

So not only do a lot of fans get caught up in ESPN-level hype on atheleticism, rumor, and clips on Youtube, so do some teams. When we don't even know what these guys -- the Emoni Bates types -- can actually do, you know, playing actual basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems completely incompetent to judge a player solely by individual or even group workouts. The point of college, which is admittedly corrupt and less than ideal, is that you not only get to see players in a team environment against appropriate compe ion, you get (hopefully) strong coaching in aspects that need to be improved. One of the biggest problems of the one-and-done era, which has impacted the NBA for years now, is that players still don't really know how to be coached or improve. They just... play. This has hurt the guys coming out of Duke once Ratface switched to leaning on these players. It hurts a lot of Kentucky players. Sure, there are exceptions, but after a burst of exceptional play, they often stall out.

So not only do a lot of fans get caught up in ESPN-level hype on atheleticism, rumor, and clips on Youtube, so do some teams. When we don't even know what these guys -- the Emoni Bates types -- can actually do, you know, playing actual basketball.
    I understand the arguments you’re putting forward but this is why you put faith in the collective rather than the individual.

Have a look at the Anfernee Simons situation in Portland. Drafted in 2018, straight from H.S and is only just bearing fruit.
    That was a loaded class too but on a redraft, he’s probably going top ten.

We almost did a very similar thing last year drafting Primo considering how little he played and what his role was at Alabama.

I honestly know next to nothing about Shaedon the person but understand BG_Spurs_Fan intrigue based on seemingly the calibre of talent we may select from.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bates problem is that he’s NOT supremely athletic. Being so doesn’t guarantee anything, but it should allow you to survive at the next level and develop if you’re motivated. Not being so, you need a top level gift like shooting or court vision and distribution. Bates probably relied on size in HS. Even Kyle Anderson, gifted with great court vision, struggled mightily his freshman year. Bates may just need another year at Memphis.
    Last edited by exstatic; 02-24-2022 at 02:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may very well be the Spurs pick…If you’re keeping all three firsts and going for upside (and a swing for the fences mentality with that lotto pick), John Butler may be the guy.

- Spurs were considering drafting Jaden McDaniels in 2020
    - They obviously liked Kai Jones if trade reports were to be believed at the deadline and initial pre-draft scouting process

FSU guys can play.
    Great rundown in this article…

https://heatcheckcbb.com/shaws-sleep...th-nba-upside/

“The future is exceptionally bright for him,” Hamilton said. “His skill set is great. He is still adjusting, but he has a great at ude, and he wants to be good. Learning a different system, he has to bring the ball up the floor, make decisions on the fly with what we need to get into. He has made significant progress so far and continues to get better.”…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bates problem is that he’s NOT supremely athletic. Being so doesn’t guarantee anything, but it should allow you to survive at the next level and develop if you’re motivated. Not being so, you need a top level gift like shooting or court vision and distribution. Bates probably relied on size in HS. Even Kyle Anderson, gifted with great court vision, struggled mightily his freshman year. Bates may just need another year at Memphis.
    Who gives a about athleticism when you can't play? I feel like you're dodging the point. Like Barkley said, deer can run and jump, but can they play basketball? So the what if Sharpe can race the floor and dunk once in a while? That's not basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that is why I am really shy of drafting anyone who can’t shoot or has terrible handles at this point of development if they don’t have these skills need to pass on them. I not risk averse there are a couple players that fit this but they would be on my second round list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For those who don't know much about him. Shaedon was the #1 prospect for a reason. He went to Kentucky, not some small school on hype. He has a weird situation but the kid definitely would have been one of the top prospects in college if he played. He has that star attribute about him.

Elite athleticism, attacks with an at ude. Kind of reminds me of Demar attacking, he just knows how to beat people to the rim. Yes, it was high school compe ion. He was a high school kid as well.

Has a pretty shot that seems effortless at times. Defensive potential is there. Effort shines at times. He was clearly above his compe ion so it's hard to see how much he really has shown for good or bad.

Definitely intriguing. Wouldn't be mad at all with him. Had potential to be a high draft pick on HS tape alone.

Forget the idea that this is a high school tape. The things he is doing have nothing to do with who's across from him.

He moves like he's got another gear, very athletic but very efficient. Looks like he's a shooter, too.

Doesn't drive to the basket enough, what's with that? And what the is going on with him and Kentucky. But high-end potential.

Quite possibly a guy to consider after the big three.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malaki Branham is someone who I could see shoot up into the 20s and be a good choice for one of the trade picks. He's a three-level scorer with good size (6'5") and wingspan (6'11"). He had a great game against Indiana 3 nights ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_yxSFs5BCs
    Last edited by Truckules; 02-24-2022 at 08:18 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Forget the idea that this is a high school tape. The things he is doing have nothing to do with who's across from him.

He moves like he's got another gear, very athletic but very efficient. Looks like he's a shooter, too.

Doesn't drive to the basket enough, what's with that? And what the is going on with him and Kentucky. But high-end potential.

Calipari said Sharpe lacked conditioning to jump into college ball without the same prep time as the other players. I don't know if that's the real reason or not - maybe he was hoping to keep him around for next year.

Teams go after young players for the same reason Hollywood chases high-budget films - it's a swing for the fence mentality. If a player is going to be a first option, he usually shows it in late high school or his first year of college. Nobody wants to draft a "solid" guy in the lottery - especially the early lottery.

Sharpe is more than an athlete. He knows how to play. But pull up some video of him shooting 3's, and he gets about 2 rotations on the way to the hole. He reminds me of Trevor Ariza. He's got great hand-eye to make as many as he does, but he'd have to improve that stroke to be a real three level scorer in the modern NBA. It's not out of the question, with his natural talent.

But since the only thing we have is high school video, go back and look at LeBron's HS film, and the incredible passing game he already had. I haven't seen any flashes of that in Sharpe's game yet. Like I said, he reminds me of Trevor Ariza in high school. A shorter Trevor Ariza. To me, that's a thin swing for the fence. If the Spurs wind up drafting around 10 (and I still think they will), that might be enough since even if he's not a franchise, he'll still be a good player to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He said he molds his game after Beal and Booker. He looks to shake them and get his shot off. That's his preference. Has 3 pt range and is a good shooter.
    Definitely has that star aspect to him. If he does come out next year, we may never get close to him. This year might be the only year we could if he came out early but a lot has to happen for that situation. Him and mom are still saying he's staying.

He just graduated a semester early from high school and did early enrollment so he could train at UK instead of his high school and learn the program. He practices with the team now so he's getting way better experience there than he would playing pickup games locally. He's facing off with some of the best prospects on a regular basis, and from reports, people are impressed with what they've seen. If he wants to try to go No.1-3, he might stay. If he's good with going in the lottery, I think his potential alone get him drafted without a college year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malaki Branham is someone who I could see shoot up into the 20s and be a good choice for one of the trade picks. He's a three-level scorer with good size (6'5") and wingspan (6'11"). He had a great game against Indiana 3 nights ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_yxSFs5BCs
    Looks good got that Beal no neck frame, a little light for his playstyle at 180 if he's anywhere close to 200 I think he is guaranteed top 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that turnaround J is a thing of beauty. He uses it to win this game. EJ with our later frps would be great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s crazy how this kid will just get better. I think Chet and Ivey will be top 1 and 2. Both are exciting players and can’t go wrong either way.

Tank for Chet!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s crazy how this kid will just get better. I think Chet and Ivey will be top 1 and 2. Both are exciting players and can’t go wrong either way.

Tank for Chet!
    I had Jabari as my #1 early in the season but now that I've had a chance to watch games and look closer thats changed for me. Chet is my clear #1 choice (even though there is risk from a physical standpoint). Ivey I've got at 2 or 3 along with Jabar and ive got Banchero at 4...

If we don't a lucky bounce the guys I like in the top 10 that could be available at our spot are Keegan, Griffin, and then Ochai, Sharpe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that turnaround J is a thing of beauty. He uses it to win this game. EJ with our later frps would be great
    I love this guy's game....I'd definitely want him with a mid 1st pick if we don't get a 4 with our top pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Liddel is a baller, my concerns with him were about the size and the pairing with Johnson. Still have some questions about him and KJ in a starting 5 but imo with his strenght he can compensates the lack of height.

What do you think about the lack of size ? I like the fact that he's a very good shotblocker this year and that he grabs 2.4 ORB of his 7.5 total ( not that great number with his 32 mpg tough).
    Last edited by duncan2150; 02-25-2022 at 12:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wonder when people will realize just driving to the hoop isn't basketball.

Thread Information