Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is accurate, that's pretty crazy. And to be fair, Lonnie Walker's max vertical was impressive, but a 49" measurement is as far above Lonnie's number (40") as Lonnie's was above guys like Udoka Azubuike or Omer Yurtseven (31.5"), centers not known for being especially great leapers.

Scouts and GMs will obviously have their work cut out for them evaluating a kid who is still a mystery, but I imagine Sharpe & his agent were pretty thrilled with this result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word is he'll be posting video soon of him killing a bear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without BBIQ, he's just another Lonnie. He needs to have the BRAINS to pick up the offensive and defensive rotations. He needs to know clock management. There is lots more than jumping. As Barkley has stated many times, "A deer can run and jump, but it can't play basketball". Can he do the COMPLICATED stuff that is needed at the NBA level? Without playing college ball, it's all a guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the Hype Crew. Russ, we need your thoughts good sir.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without BBIQ, he's just another Lonnie. He needs to have the BRAINS to pick up the offensive and defensive rotations. He needs to know clock management. There is lots more than jumping. As Barkley has stated many times, "A deer can run and jump, but it can't play basketball". Can he do the COMPLICATED stuff that is needed at the NBA level? Without playing college ball, it's all a guess.

To be fair, even with college ball it can be a guess. Lonnie played college ball. So did Hasheem Thabeet and Anthony Bennett. Primo didn't get drafted based entirely on his college record-- the Spurs liked how he performed at combine scrimmages, just as they'd also liked Samanic's performances in the same setting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why, but this story came to mind when I saw the 49" vertical video:
    Loose Balls: Easy Money, Hard Fouls, Cheap Laughs, and True Love in the NBA - Jayson Williams

Before signing me up, the Sixers' top guys met with me in a Midtown hotel in New York City. They heard I was fat, out of shape. They were worried about the broken foot, too. It was Harold Katz, then the owner, and Gene Shue, then the general manager. They wanted me to run up and down the hotel ballroom. They thought I might be damaged goods. I told 'em I understood their concerns, but I had a better idea. Instead of running up and down in a damn ballroom, why didn't I run up and down on a basketball court for them? I said, "We can go to a park by my house." They thought it was a great idea and we agreed to go on down there.

Harold and Gene didn't know it, but the park we were going to was down on the Lower East Side, right next to the school I went to, P.S. 137. And before we drove down there, I called the principal, and I told him what's happening.

So when we got to the park, he's let the whole school out early, and there's nine hundred kids in the park, surrounding the court, hanging on the chain-link fence, screaming and yelling and cheering, "Williams! Williams! Williams! Williams!."

And I'm running and dunking and jumping, up and down and up and down. I'm flying! It's like one of those bad made-for-TV movies. I mean, I'm two feet above the rim, scraping my elbows on metal. And the kids are screaming and Harold and Gene are happy about the whole thing. They're talking to each other.

"Holy smokes!" they're saying. "We got a steal with this guy!"

Harold and Gene spent the next two years watching me miss layups, stumble around, saying, "What the heck happened at that park? Was that an optical illusion or what?"

They told Charles Barkley they were confused, because they'd seen me playing about two feet above the rim.

Charlie says, "You seen who? Doing what? When?"

What Harold and Gene and Charlie didn't know is that the basket at that park is only nine feet high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you shall get them, good sir, if and when they adhere to an appropriate instant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha twitter analysts are hilarious. Defensive versatility in a one on one setting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha twitter analysts are hilarious. Defensive versatility in a one on one setting?
    My favourite part in the video is the guy in the white T-Shirt setting the screens. He’s unfortunately ineligible this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My favourite part in the video is the guy in the white T-Shirt setting the screens. He’s unfortunately ineligible this draft.
    haha looks like DJ Khalid.

He does look much more fluid than anyone on our current roster i’ll give him that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's Canadian -- how manty Canadians have been the kind of problem children that would evoke such concerns and comparisons. (Although I suppose there's always a first.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Bennet was a bust but never a problem child.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good thinking to bring in Bryn Forbes to defend him.

No, he's got a solid frame and he can score at all three levels - at least in a practice setting. He's not one of those guys who have raw athleticism but no basketball skills. He looks pretty smooth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess they forgot to add all the misess. Anyway, That vid has little to no interest as far as judging the kid... All I see is a some (rather slow) youngster dunking and shooting one and one on undersized even younger nobodies who don't even try to defend during some staged practice...

You can almost hear the agent screaming at the other kids, "slower and don't jump!!" Put me some stiff and real men out there and see how the kid can dunk and shoot and them... Shooting mechanics not that great btw, no lift in his legs, ball to low (will get blocked in the NBA)...

When they tried out TP back in the days in SA, they send some mammoth at him who was rocking and throwing Tony all over the place.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Barkley has stated many times, "A deer can run and jump, but it can't play basketball". Can he do the COMPLICATED stuff that is needed at the NBA level? Without playing college ball, it's all a guess.
    Word is he'll be posting video soon of him killing a bear.

A deer can kill a bear, but can it... well that fizzled out pretty quickly.

You can't tell much from highlight videos of a game, much less a gym session. But he's above the rim with total ease, he's got a stepback move that doesn't look awkward, he knocked some down from distance, and he doesn't look like he has to think when he puts the ball on the floor. A lot of first round prospects are deficient in at least one of those categories.

I'm sure there will be a lot of NBA scouts looking at him in person, but from the look of that video it's pretty clear that they have good reason for making the trip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm neither for nor against Sharpe at this point because I think that analysis can only be done by someone with insider access to pre-draft workouts and combine scrimmages, which I don't have. But man, the number of people with irrational exuberance for Primo and bottomless conspiratorial skepticism for Sharpe is pretty interesting. Sharpe was rated a 5 star prospect by 247 Sports and the #3 high school player in the nation. The year before, Primo was a 5 star prospect ranked 21st. But somehow, swinging for the fences with Primo is a genius move, while swinging for the fences with Sharpe is reckless and dumb?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did that hoop look like it was 10' high? Looked like it was lower.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm neither for nor against Sharpe at this point because I think that analysis can only be done by someone with insider access to pre-draft workouts and combine scrimmages, which I don't have. But man, the number of people with irrational exuberance for Primo and bottomless conspiratorial skepticism for Sharpe is pretty interesting. Sharpe was rated a 5 star prospect by 247 Sports and the #3 high school player in the nation. The year before, Primo was a 5 star prospect ranked 21st. But somehow, swinging for the fences with Primo is a genius move, while swinging for the fences with Sharpe is reckless and dumb?
    The beta followers in here are just following timvp's lead on Sharpe. Had timvp said he liked Sharpe and he should be the Spurs target the responses would be very different in here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the same way. I’m not blown away by Sharpe’s tape. I listened to a Jake Rosen interview, (from The Stepien), on a podcast about a month ago where he talked exclusively about Sharpe for about an hour.
    He brought up an interesting point about his athleticism and vertical akin to a little James Wiseman where he has to load up a little to get to those Springs.
    The guys also talked about how all the space he creates is either laterally or backwards, he’s not necessarily beating defenders in straight line attacks. I would think for an Athletic Two-Guard, who has aspirations of being a primary, that it may be something to monitor going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft him if he’s there!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sharpe is already better than Primo. Primo lacks top end athleticism, has problems creating shots and finishing at the rim, also lacks explosiveness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sharpe will be gone by the time we’re on the clock so this is all moot anyways tbh.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sharpe will be gone by the time we’re on the clock so this is all moot anyways tbh.
    Not if the Spurs get into the top four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information