My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pouring AGAIN.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like another one, Jerry, is coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're gonna flood like a mfker.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're gonna flood like a mfker.
    By the way, TE, sorry if I bashed you in earlier threads. We just have a difference in opinion is all and I reacted defensively when it appeared you guys were ganging up on me, I thought you were a another troll like them.
    I still maintain that the whole team screwed the pooch regardless of how bad Manu or Pop or any other Spur was.
    No offense was meant.

We need that rain here in S.A., we're getting some, but not near enough.
    Last edited by xmas1997; 09-18-2013 at 05:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, TE, sorry if I bashed you in earlier threads. We just have a difference in opinion is all and I reacted defensively when it appeared you guys were ganging up on me, I thought you were a another troll like them.
    I still maintain that the whole team screwed the pooch regardless of how bad Manu or Pop or any other Spur was.
    No offense was meant.

We need that rain here in S.A., we're getting some, but not near enough.
    We good then homie, I don't take sides with anybody. I'm a lone soldier.

Maybe we can all get together and drunken ourselves to Kumbaya.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We good then homie, I don't take sides with anybody. I'm a lone soldier.

Maybe we can all get together and drunken ourselves to Kumbaya.

Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey Skull-1, has your place gotten flooded yet?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey Skull-1, has your place gotten flooded yet?

I don't think so. Not up to the door or anything like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so. Not up to the door or anything like that.
    Oh okay. There's parts of burg that I drive through that are inundated. It sure was dry weeks ago...now it feels like a totally different area. It hasn't looked this green in a long long while.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh okay. There's parts of burg that I drive through that are inundated. It sure was dry weeks ago...now it feels like a totally different area. It hasn't looked this green in a long long while.
    The wind has been drying all my plants out. When I was a kid it rained all the time. Wtf?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The wind has been drying all my plants out. When I was a kid it rained all the time. Wtf?
    Nah I'm talking a few years. This place has been in a serious drought the last few years. I can't remember the last time it rained this much. Maybe when Dolly came by...

This rain is good for my trees tbh. My Peach and Avocado tree needed this.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah I'm talking a few years. This place has been in a serious drought the last few years. I can't remember the last time it rained this much. Maybe when Dolly came by...

This rain is good for my trees tbh. My Peach and Avocado tree needed this.

It has been dry for a decade really. Maybe more... My tangerines will be happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, so I've now booked my car rental, and I thought I'd bump the thread for some advice on driving in the Texas triangle. I'm staying/driving in all the downtown areas of Dallas, San Antonio and Houston... I know I'll be driving on the "wrong-side" of the road, and I've done this before in Canada and Hawaii, but nothing on the scale of these cities.

I've read that Dallas drivers are quite aggressive, and that Houston roads can be very difficult to navigate.

So, any driving advice would be welcome. Directions? Common "out of towner" mistakes? Cautions? Areas to avoid?

Thanks again in advance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, so I've now booked my car rental, and I thought I'd bump the thread for some advice on driving in the Texas triangle. I'm staying/driving in all the downtown areas of Dallas, San Antonio and Houston... I know I'll be driving on the "wrong-side" of the road, and I've done this before in Canada and Hawaii, but nothing on the scale of these cities.

I've read that Dallas drivers are quite aggressive, and that Houston roads can be very difficult to navigate.

So, any driving advice would be welcome. Directions? Common "out of towner" mistakes? Cautions? Areas to avoid?

Thanks again in advance.
    I assume you are doing these games:

4/10 @ Dallas-Thurs
    4/11 Phoenix -Fri
    4/14 @ Houston -Mon
    4/16 Lakers -Wed

I assume you will fly into Dallas and spend the night after the game there. Driving to SA is just a matter of taking highway 35 (IH-35) south for about 4 hours. The trick will be getting through Austin, which is a parking lot on IH-35, especially on a Friday. I'd recommend taking the toll road (I think it is Toll Road 130, which you catch around Georgetown) to bypass the congestion and meet up with IH-35 south of Austin. SA has traffic issues, but not like the ones Austin has with IH-35.

Getting to the Houston game will be easy, take IH-10 east for about 3 hours. Getting back from Houston is just taking IH-10 west.

Each city is almost like its own state. Each has its own culture and flavor. In San Antonio, enjoy the Tex-Mex as much as possible, just try not to eat it downtown in the tourist areas (drinking margaritas is good everywhere however). Rosario's is near downtown and pretty good, so that would minimize driving. Los Barrios is another well known restaurant and both restaurants are excellent for visitors. San Antonio is 65% Hispanic, 25% white and the rest mostly Black and Asian.

Houston is a mix of Texas BBQ and Louisiana Cajun. Be sure to get some gumbo and jambalaya when over there. Houston is the most culturally diverse city in Texas with a mix of about 40% hispanic, 25% black, 25% white and the rest mostly asian. Seafood is also popular and if you get the chance, eat in one of the "Boat" restaurants like Captain Tom's, which has seafood and gumbo.

Dallas itself has about the same cultural mix as Houston, but it is surrounded by other cities that are much less diverse. Houston is far more spread out. I can't recommend much as far as what to eat since I haven't spent any real time in Dallas.

Between the Phoenix game and the Houston game you will have some time to kill. That Saturday or Sunday would be perfect for driving up to Austin, the capital of Texas. Like the other cities it too is quite distinct in its culture. Austin is Tex-Mex that has been "California-ized". Healthy Tex-Mex, if that is possible. They mix up crazy concoctions that are incredibly good. Austin is about 70 min drive going North from SA. You'll want to try Guerro's, which isn't far from downtown and where you'll have most of the sites to see (The Capital Building, The Univ of Texas, 6th Street). If you're in Austin, you gotta have a Margarita at the Hula Hut on Lake Austin.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth of recommendations. Have fun!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people in San Antonio say IH-10 instead of just I-10 like most of the other country?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people in San Antonio say IH-10 instead of just I-10 like most of the other country?
    That's just the local dialect. In California, they say "The 10".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. The in-between each of the cities seems pretty straight forward, I've checked that out. But a play around on Google street view etc, and it's getting on and off these freeways that is going to freak me out. I'm sure I'll survive, but if your a local and you see and big white guy in a little rental car swerving across multiple lanes to make a turn... be kind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of good advice from bluebellmaniac. I agree that visiting Austin would be fun. If you go to Guerro's make sure to go hear some music at the Continental Club across the street. It's a legendary spot. They are both on South Congress Ave. If you go north you'll run into the State Capital building. I also think the margaritas at Guerro's are some of the best. Rosario's and Mi Tieras in SA, with the former having the best food and the latter the atmosphere, are good spots close to downtown. Have a great time!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume you are doing these games:

4/10 @ Dallas-Thurs
    4/11 Phoenix -Fri
    4/14 @ Houston -Mon
    4/16 Lakers -Wed

I assume you will fly into Dallas and spend the night after the game there. Driving to SA is just a matter of taking highway 35 (IH-35) south for about 4 hours. The trick will be getting through Austin, which is a parking lot on IH-35, especially on a Friday. I'd recommend taking the toll road (I think it is Toll Road 130, which you catch around Georgetown) to bypass the congestion and meet up with IH-35 south of Austin. SA has traffic issues, but not like the ones Austin has with IH-35.

Getting to the Houston game will be easy, take IH-10 east for about 3 hours. Getting back from Houston is just taking IH-10 west.

Each city is almost like its own state. Each has its own culture and flavor. In San Antonio, enjoy the Tex-Mex as much as possible, just try not to eat it downtown in the tourist areas (drinking margaritas is good everywhere however). Rosario's is near downtown and pretty good, so that would minimize driving. Los Barrios is another well known restaurant and both restaurants are excellent for visitors. San Antonio is 65% Hispanic, 25% white and the rest mostly Black and Asian.

Houston is a mix of Texas BBQ and Louisiana Cajun. Be sure to get some gumbo and jambalaya when over there. Houston is the most culturally diverse city in Texas with a mix of about 40% hispanic, 25% black, 25% white and the rest mostly asian. Seafood is also popular and if you get the chance, eat in one of the "Boat" restaurants like Captain Tom's, which has seafood and gumbo.

Dallas itself has about the same cultural mix as Houston, but it is surrounded by other cities that are much less diverse. Houston is far more spread out. I can't recommend much as far as what to eat since I haven't spent any real time in Dallas.

Between the Phoenix game and the Houston game you will have some time to kill. That Saturday or Sunday would be perfect for driving up to Austin, the capital of Texas. Like the other cities it too is quite distinct in its culture. Austin is Tex-Mex that has been "California-ized". Healthy Tex-Mex, if that is possible. They mix up crazy concoctions that are incredibly good. Austin is about 70 min drive going North from SA. You'll want to try Guerro's, which isn't far from downtown and where you'll have most of the sites to see (The Capital Building, The Univ of Texas, 6th Street). If you're in Austin, you gotta have a Margarita at the Hula Hut on Lake Austin.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth of recommendations. Have fun!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm missing that Laker game, I have to fly home to Australia and play the role of Easter Bunny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 Weeks to go!

I'll be wearing a T-shirt with "Aussie Spur 14" on the back if you see me at the game, come say o.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in Dallas!

Got myself new baseline ticket for tomorrow EE. So 5th row from the court. Spurs bench end.

Tips for the day in Dallas tomorrow?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to TX!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey how r the people there, texans and aussies very much the same

Thread Information