Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jim is a total loser, and the fact he passed on the best coach of the game to not even choosing a coach as the season approaches speaks volumes. He's on his way out.
    Tim is the reigning champ. You don't have to like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    guys that are signing a contract that will contain their primes (ages 26-31) will basically sign for the max or very close to it. LeBron taking less to go the Miami was a bit of a shock on that regard, but look what it led to: 4 seasons, 4 NBA finals. Past their prime players typically take less to allow for the team to acquire more complementary pieces. As your star fades, he will need more help to win. Duncan isn't in the same stratosphere today as he was from 2001-2005. He's still worth more than 10 mil on the court, but thats what he took, and look at the results. He signed a 3 year deal, of which 2 years have passed, and we've made the Finals in each of those 2 years. Dirk is a player worth literally everything to the Mavs franchise, and when in a similar spot to Kobe last season, about to sign a deal, he took 3/25 instead of 2/48.5... and thats with Kobe coming off an achilles and not having played, while Dirk is relatively healthy.

Superstars in their prime can and generally will take the max and still have success... but when you pass your prime, the question becomes if you prioritize money to winning. Kobe played his hand, so did Duncan, and the results speak for themselves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Spurs fans act like Kobe was basically a lucky McGrady
    Wrong, T-Mac was actually a first option in his prime.... Kirby's more like an overglorified Stackhouse or pre-Dallas Monta Ellis

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Op with a misleading le. Nowhere did Jeremy demand anything. Get some glasses op

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    "I wish my role could become bigger and more important, and I also wish I could get more playing time next year," said the 25-year-old point guard.

Hardly a demand lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who told him that ? Certainly not a head coach, then who ?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I wasnt mad that Kobe got paid. He's earned it. I wanted to see him play first. As far as I'm concerned... players always think they can still do it... and some can, but he's had two of the worst injuries that a player can have, and he's past his prime. My gripe is the FO and the league and the fans expecting the stars to take pay cuts to overpay role players. I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one. Spurs are on the right track with this whole salary cap thing, but Jim deserves more... even if the owner has to dig in his pocket to make it happen.
    Agree 100% especially with duncan deserving more money than Utah's golden boy ...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "I wish my role could become bigger and more important, and I also wish I could get more playing time next year," said the 25-year-old point guard.

Hardly a demand lol
    This tbh

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    "I wish my role could become bigger and more important, and I also wish I could get more playing time next year," said the 25-year-old point guard. Hardly a demand lol
    Exactly...Saying that he is on board & would like a significant role is not a demand...Lakers were lucky to get Lin...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly...Saying that he is on board & would like a significant role is not a demand...Lakers were lucky to get Lin...
    Not lucky. Rockets are known to bend over.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wrong, T-Mac was actually a first option in his prime.... Kirby's more like an overglorified Stackhouse or pre-Dallas Monta Ellis
    Right, thats why Tmac couldnt pass the first round even with a prime Yao on his roster

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Right, thats why Tmac couldnt pass the first round even with a prime Yao on his roster
    And Kirby missed the playoffs in his prime without Shaq on the roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats the best thing I've seen today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasnt mad that Kobe got paid. He's earned it. I wanted to see him play first. As far as I'm concerned... players always think they can still do it... and some can, but he's had two of the worst injuries that a player can have, and he's past his prime. My gripe is the FO and the league and the fans expecting the stars to take pay cuts to overpay role players. I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one. Spurs are on the right track with this whole salary cap thing, but Jim deserves more... even if the owner has to dig in his pocket to make it happen.
    Agree 100% especially with duncan deserving more money than Utah's golden boy ...
    One thing of note is that Duncan signed his contract a few years back, after the 11-12 season. He had his worst season in his career in 10-11, and had a minor rebound in 11-12. No doubt it was a discount considering people were expecting Duncan to make the money based on what he did for the Spurs during his prime, but based on what he was expecting to do from 2012 onwards, it really wasn't a ridiculous contract. He got paid about $10M per, when he was probably worth that much in the open market.

Now of course, after signing the contract, he was rejuvenated and started balling again after that, but based on his age and production, he would have been a $12M to $15M player.

Haywood, on the other hand, is young, and is projected to do better in the future (I personally doubt it, but at least it could be explained that way). Duncan was 35 when he signed the current contract, his production was expected to drop, actually fall off a cliff, nobody saw the last two years coming.

As for Kobe's contract, he already got handsomely compensated for his actual production the last few years, and after a few significant injuries, his production is expected to drop off significantly. There is just no way to explain a $48.5/2 year contract for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Deserve" doesn't enter the picture on a league with a strict salary cap and a very, very steep luxury tax penalty for going over.

It's not a matter of right or wrong. Ideally, you would have a MLB-like system, and Lebron would be getting $50+ millions/year, and everybody else would be getting paid what they 'deserve'.

But that's not the current CBA. And so you have to make deals based on reality, not what's 'right or wrong'.

And players past their prime that want to win, have come to the realization that under this reality, they're going to have to take a paycut if they want to have the talent around them to win.

Some other players decided to get paid instead, and that's a fair choice. But under this reality it means very little room to put the pieces around him to win.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    "Deserve" doesn't enter the picture on a league with a strict salary cap and a very, very steep luxury tax penalty for going over.

It's not a matter of right or wrong. Ideally, you would have a MLB-like system, and Lebron would be getting $50+ millions/year, and everybody else would be getting paid what they 'deserve'.

But that's not the current CBA. And so you have to make deals based on reality, not what's 'right or wrong'.

And players past their prime that want to win, have come to the realization that under this reality, they're going to have to take a paycut if they want to have the talent around them to win.

Some other players decided to get paid instead, and that's a fair choice. But under this reality it means very little room to put the pieces around him to win.
    ^ The Agent with the CBA goods....

I'll remind you of this post when Client gets a fat new contract in a couple years

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And Kirby missed the playoffs in his prime without Shaq on the roster
    Ok we established Kobe could only win with a great big man but your argument is invalid. Kobe+Yao would have easily passed the first round, cmon even you know that. T-Mac was a failure as a player which is sad because he was physically just as good as Kobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ The Agent with the CBA goods....

I'll remind you of this post when Client gets a fat new contract in a couple years
    El Cliente is already extremely underpaid due to the same constrains. He already chopped off his salary in half last season, and at $7m/season, he's a bargain for being top 3 SG in the West, tbh...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Op with a misleading le. Nowhere did Jeremy demand anything. Get some glasses op
    Read the first sentence of the article dip

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lakers gonna max lin next offseason

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Lakaluva thinks Lin is actually a good pickup. You poor gookface bas .

My Team
    Orlando Magic
    Post Count
    If this is the case, the Lakers are screwed. Let the Spurs reign...unless Dallas has something to say about this?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information