Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, there are 14 guaranteed contract, which is why we're considering that last spot as the "15th man". But depending on who gets that spot, their actual place in the rotation could be very different.

No. He takes up a roster spot no matter what. As much as people constantly about him, he's a Spurs for the next year (and probably two, three and four). Nothing in camp or no assignment to Austin will affect his roster spot.
    Thanks Chinook! I thought that was right and obviously his playing time will depend on his development. Several people have spoken about him as if he is on our D-team in Austin. Though he and others might spend plenty of time there, he's a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bye bye Bonner

My money is on Garino with Forbes as the dark horse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC has no business on this team. Forbes and the Argie should both make the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there can be any lower than player fanning for Jimmer last season
    Yeah, that Jimmer thread was ridiculous.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Simmons to Brooklyn or Philly to free up a spot then take Garino and either Forbes or Robinson... depending if they think LVC can give us what Robinson would on the board and defensively at the 4 spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Simmons to Brooklyn or Philly to free up a spot then take Garino and either Forbes or Robinson... depending if they think LVC can give us what Robinson would on the board and defensively at the 4 spot.
    Trading Simmons by himself probably would not net us anything in return. It really would have the sole effect of clearing a roster spot. If we were to move him, I'd like to see us package him with another asset and actually get something in return. I think Simmons has some value, but as much as I have cheered for him, I think he is probably doomed on the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Simmons by himself probably would not net us anything in return. It really would have the sole effect of clearing a roster spot. If we were to move him, I'd like to see us package him with another asset and actually get something in return. I think Simmons has some value, but as much as I have cheered for him, I think he is probably doomed on the Spurs.
    The roster spot is all I'm looking for...if we can get a 2nd rd pick in the future that would be great but, I'd be happy with a roster spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The roster spot is all I'm looking for...if we can get a 2nd rd pick in the future that would be great but, I'd be happy with a roster spot.
    Im okay with that assuming thomas robinson or an option better than jonathon simmons fills the void. If its just to free up a spot then i would be against it. Simmons is on a cheap contract and might prove to be somewhat useful, so why discard him to just do it if a better oprion isnt already lined up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im okay with that assuming thomas robinson or an option better than jonathon simmons fills the void. If its just to free up a spot then i would be against it. Simmons is on a cheap contract and might prove to be somewhat useful, so why discard him to just do it if a better oprion isnt already lined up.
    Simmons is indeed on a cheap contract and the Spurs need a backup SG with some experience with 39 year old Manu in the team likely to get rest (and the occasional nag) through the season. I kind of agree with sasaint though that he doesn't seem right now like a piece to keep for the future. Dijon has made him redundant in a way and Simmons will be a RFA this summer 7 years Dijon's senior, who can only be re-signed with cap space.

Several guys are up for being reupped with capspace: Gasol (PO) and Dedmon (assuming he pans out) and any FA Spurs want to go after over the next summer. Mills is also up for his own contract (though he can be resigned with Bird rights)

Spurs might face a situation similar to Boban, where some team just overprices him. It's hard to say. I guess at least sasaint is talking about the scenario where just like CoJo and Boban, the team chooses to go a different direction and lets them go without showing any asset for them.

But Spurs don't treat guys like straight up assets and they only move them if it's a clear advantageous and needed trade (like Hill) or at the player's request (like Nando).

I can understand someone suggesting a trade for a small asset instead, but if you have to package him with somone, who? There are no guys the Spurs can spare right now. He's likely headed for RFA this next summer for the open market and might be gone altogether.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like Garino, based on not a whole lot.
    One factor against him is the Spurs have usually carried 3 PGs. Right now only Tony and Mills.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like Garino, based on not a whole lot.
    One factor against him is the Spurs have usually carried 3 PGs. Right now only Tony and Mills.
    You do know We just drafted one right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do know We just drafted one right?
    Murray?
    At this point in time, I'm not sold on him as a 1.
    I think he is going to be really good (eventually ), but I think he's more a combo guard. I could be wrong.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is indeed on a cheap contract and the Spurs need a backup SG with some experience with 39 year old Manu in the team likely to get rest (and the occasional nag) through the season. I kind of agree with sasaint though that he doesn't seem right now like a piece to keep for the future. Dijon has made him redundant in a way and Simmons will be a RFA this summer 7 years Dijon's senior, who can only be re-signed with cap space.

Several guys are up for being reupped with capspace: Gasol (PO) and Dedmon (assuming he pans out) and any FA Spurs want to go after over the next summer. Mills is also up for his own contract (though he can be resigned with Bird rights)

Spurs might face a situation similar to Boban, where some team just overprices him. It's hard to say. I guess at least sasaint is talking about the scenario where just like CoJo and Boban, the team chooses to go a different direction and lets them go without showing any asset for them.

But Spurs don't treat guys like straight up assets and they only move them if it's a clear advantageous and needed trade (like Hill) or at the player's request (like Nando).

I can understand someone suggesting a trade for a small asset instead, but if you have to package him with somone, who? There are no guys the Spurs can spare right now. He's likely headed for RFA this next summer for the open market and might be gone altogether.
    Depending on the player we would receive, I would be willing to consider packaging Simmons with any of several players. (I recognize what you are saying about PATFO's traditionally not viewing players as "assets" like other teams, and I also acknowledge that I would be willing to part with players that PATFO would not.)

But if another team were pretty interested in Simmons, then maybe we could satisfy both mo7888 and me. Perhaps we could ship out Simmons for the right to swap draft positions with a trade partner. I didn't say I necessarily wanted a player in return - just an asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs can use EB rights to match any offer to Simmons. They don't need cap space beyond his hold next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can use EB rights to match any offer to Simmons. They don't need cap space beyond his hold next summer.
    Can you explain that and I am sorry to ask but cap issues confuse me. I thought he could get Arenas contracts this summer. I doubt it, but you never know, it's crazy some of the wings that have gotten way overpaid recently after just one good season which I expect him to have within context.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you explain that and I am sorry to ask but cap issues confuse me. I thought he could get Arenas contracts this summer. I doubt it, but you never know, it's crazy some of the wings that have gotten way overpaid recently after just one good season which I expect him to have within context.
    He is an Arenas RFA. But the Spurs have his Early Bird rights due to him having been with the team for two seasons. So they get what is essentially a free MLE to retain him. They'll be the same position with Bertans, and whoever (if anyone) hangs on out of Arcidiacono, Forbes and Garino.

Boban only had one year of service, so the Spurs only had his non-Bird rights, which only gives a small increase in salary from the previous season to re-sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is an Arenas RFA. But the Spurs have his Early Bird rights due to him having been with the team for two seasons. So they get what is essentially a free MLE to retain him. They'll be the same position with Bertans, and whoever (if anyone) hangs on out of Arcidiacono, Forbes and Garino.

Boban only had one year of service, so the Spurs only had his non-Bird rights, which only gives a small increase in salary from the previous season to re-sign him.
    Thanks that clarifies the issue. It will be interesting to see how the Simms story goes with the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any update on Thomas Robinson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any update on Thomas Robinson?
    Want to know too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Robinson over the french guy, as 15th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Robinson over the french guy, as 15th

What French guy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What French guy?

-----------------------------------

Livio Jean Charles?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What French guy?
    Chill got. He didn't mean porker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -----------------------------------

Livio Jean Charles?
    I believe since LJC was a 1st round draft pick his contact is guaranteed. The Spurs would need to trade him. Chinook was explaining this and I thought I understood him to be signed.

Thread Information