Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/dejounte-m...antonio-spurs/

Don't worry, that uneasy sensation you feel is just your favorite team stepping off of the mediocrity treadmill. Better days ahead, my friends.

The way I look at it: The chances of the Spurs winning a championship in the next decade increased dramatically after the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The wrist slitting that happened in here yesterday was quite amusing to witness Wouldn't be surprised if some committed hara-kiri over the fact the Spurs won't be in the play in tourney next year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pretty agreed on everything, i think they could negociate better to have an Okongwu. That's the part of the deal i don't like. Imo they did not maximize Dejounte's peak.

I think those 2025, 2027 picks could be interesting tough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/dejounte-m...antonio-spurs/

Don't worry, that uneasy sensation you feel is just your favorite team stepping off of the mediocrity treadmill. Better days ahead, my friends.

The way I look at it: The chances of the Spurs winning a championship in the next decade increased dramatically after the trade.

I disagree with your conclusions here. We remain on the path to mediocrity as our prideful nature will have us winning 5-10 games each year, in perpetuity so as to just miss out on a top 5 pick.

With 20-25mm to burn in free agency let’s see what PATFO communicates in the way they approach it. I suspect they add some win now vets to remain marginally compe ive, once again failing to choose a path.

Also mention if the Galo situation? He was obviously guaranteed. We are probably about to eat 15mm in dead cap in a buyout. That Charlotte pick is really just compensation for taking him on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the right move.
    Far from painless- but the right move. If he stayed and improved his value wouldn't be any higher because he would have only 1 year left on his contract.
    Remember Nephew's value despite being a far superior player was $#&* because he had one year (yes I know he also stated he wasn't going anywhere else but Cali so not completely analogous)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with your conclusions here. We remain on the path to mediocrity as our prideful nature will have us winning 5-10 games each year, in perpetuity so as to just miss out on a top 5 pick.

With 20-25mm to burn in free agency let’s see what PATFO communicates in the way they approach it. I suspect they add some win now vets to remain marginally compe ive, once again failing to choose a path.

Also mention if the Galo situation? He was obviously guaranteed. We are probably about to eat 15mm in dead cap in a buyout. That Charlotte pick is really just compensation for taking him on.
    yes that Gallo contract could be really bad. If the Spurs guaranteed him and don't find a way to trade him for some assets, it will make the deal worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes that Gallo contract could be really bad. If the Spurs guaranteed him and don't find a way to trade him for some assets, it will make the deal worse.
    Why? It ends after next season. The free agents available this year is absolutely piss poor and the Spurs are looking to spend next year. If anything, his is the perfect contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? It ends after next season. The free agents available this year is absolutely piss poor and the Spurs are looking to spend next year. If anything, his is the perfect contract.
    It’s great that he is expiring but it’s a poor use of cap space. The plus is if we keep him around Pop will probably play him a fair amount so he could be helpful with the tank. The new Beli.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s mandatory to spend 90% of the salary cap amount on player salaries. That’s a requirement for an NBA franchise, under the collective bargaining agreement with the players union. That can mean having some bad contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    P.S. to the above, the current “floor” for player salary total is about 111m.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s mandatory to spend 90% of the salary cap amount on player salaries. That’s a requirement for an NBA franchise, under the collective bargaining agreement with the players union. That can mean having some bad contracts.
    Spurs would rather waste 15-20mm a year in bad contracts than pay their homegrown star because out of principle, here in San Antonio we take discounts.

Pop should take a discount this season and lead by example. 5mm instead of 12mm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll also add that Gallo is far from the worst player the Spurs could have gotten. He is at least tall, listed at 6’10”, and he can play PF.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are in full rebuild so taking +5 millions in this deal, in our cap space when we could use it on projet or taking bad contract for draft capital is not good imo. But if you trade Gallo for a first at some point it's totally ok.

Yes but like i said, you can take bad contracts but you need something to be attached with. Here the Hawks are paying for DJ not for us taking that big Gallo's contract even for one year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are in full rebuild so taking +5 millions in this deal, in our cap space when we could use it on projet or taking bad contract for draft capital is not good imo. But if you trade Gallo for a first at some point it's totally ok.

Yes but like i said, you can take bad contracts but you need something to be attached with. Here the Hawks are paying for DJ not for us taking that big Gallo's contract even for one year.
    Gallo is still serviceable but let’s not kid ourselves he is about to turn 34 and his age has shown these last few years. He will not garner an FRP.

He is a likely buyout target and I’m sure that was discussed as this was going down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only if the Spurs tank tbh. If they somehow make it to be the 9th seed again then this trade is worthless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet people on the trade.

Wristcutters mostly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the strategy, love the trade and everyone here will love it too when that draft capital pays off. Till then I guess they'll just have to whine and cry. Same thing happened when we traded Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said close to the same thing as yesterday and was called a homer. HAHAH. We just improved our chances of getting back on the track we deserve. What's not to like?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm always on team tank especially when we're fighting for a play-in spot instead of a high lottery pick so I welcome being off the treadmill of mediocrity.

Super excited to suck next year and seeing the rooks and the other young guys grow and see what they can do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only if the Spurs tank tbh. If they somehow make it to be the 9th seed again then this trade is worthless
    Yeah this is a simple way to sum up my frustration and depleting blind faith.

I'm always on team tank especially when we're fighting for a play-in spot instead of a high lottery pick so I welcome being off the treadmill of mediocrity.

Super excited to suck next year and seeing the rooks and the other young guys grow and see what they can do.
    I need to see further commitment to the tank though. I’m still not sold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a CIA Pop type thought. What if Victor W. Says he will only play for the Spurs and the Spurs have the first pick? This extra draft capital can be used to facilitate a trade with whoever has the first pick. Stranger things have happened and with him playing on TPs team, he can easily threaten to stay in France.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a CIA Pop type thought. What if Victor W. Says he will only play for the Spurs and the Spurs have the first pick? This extra draft capital can be used to facilitate a trade with whoever has the first pick. Stranger things have happened and with him playing on TPs team, he can easily threaten to stay in France.
    he's leaving ASVEL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Wi00pndhorst piece yesterday said Dejounte turned down an extension and also said he wouldn't sign one next year. Now whether this is true or not, I would think the Spurs did offer him an extension. To not offer would have been a horrible business decision. I think the Spurs quickly and clearly saw he planned to become a free agent in 2024 seeking a max with the high potential of leaving. Speaking of being a free agent in two years, Atlanta will also face this dilemma. If Klutch and the Lakers come calling, who's to say Dejounte doesn't bolt? If the DejounTrae experiment doesn't work out and Dejounte leaves in two years, just how bad will that Atlanta team be from 2025 -2027? This trade is going to take a long time to play out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *Windhorst (couldn't edit)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Wi00pndhorst piece yesterday said Dejounte turned down an extension and also said he wouldn't sign one next year. Now whether this is true or not, I would think the Spurs did offer him an extension. To not offer would have been a horrible business decision. I think the Spurs quickly and clearly saw he planned to become a free agent in 2024 seeking a max with the high potential of leaving. Speaking of being a free agent in two years, Atlanta will also face this dilemma. If Klutch and the Lakers come calling, who's to say Dejounte doesn't bolt? If the DejounTrae experiment doesn't work out and Dejounte leaves in two years, just how bad will that Atlanta team be from 2025 -2027? This trade is going to take a long time to play out.

How many times does it need to be posted that the amount he was eligible for extension was only 70mm iver 3 yrs. FAR BELOW HIS MARKET VALUE. Why would he sign that? It’s insulting Spurs would try and get him at that rate.

Thread Information