Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Wembanyama is going to turn the whole franchise around in his rookie season. Still might have a losing season of two if getting him. He's not Tim Duncan where he's going to come in and lead 30+ win season turnaround. I could be wrong. Hope we get him, though, and find out.
    I'm not saying we're competing for an le in Wembanyama's rookie season, but I would disagree and say that a Spurs team with him could gain 25-30 wins in his rookie year. That frame of his creates such difficult mismatch issues for other teams -- even just in terms of passing angles. That, and the issues he'll create on defense, will make teammates much better right away. And I think as bad as this coming year is gonna be, we're gonna see Devin become a beast. Will be interesting to see how much Keldon evolves, and I think at least one of this year's rookies will become a standout. Put those developments with a key free agent signing alongside a Wembanyama (remember Spurs signing Terry mings to go alongside DRob in his rookie year?), and I do think the Spurs would have a winning record in a Wembanyama rookie year.

The other reason is because the clock will be ticking. I don't think the franchise has a choice but to load up to win if they snag Wembanyama. We're small market so we're gonna need to immediately prove to him that he can win here before his rookie contract runs out and he can be wooed away.

But that said -- this is all just hopes and dreams. A lot of losing needs to happen to even have a chance to find out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying we're competing for an le in Wembanyama's rookie season, but I would disagree and say that a Spurs team with him could gain 25-30 wins in his rookie year. That frame of his creates such difficult mismatch issues for other teams -- even just in terms of passing angles. That, and the issues he'll create on defense, will make teammates much better right away. And I think as bad as this coming year is gonna be, we're gonna see Devin become a beast. Will be interesting to see how much Keldon evolves, and I think at least one of this year's rookies will become a standout. Put those developments with a key free agent signing alongside a Wembanyama (remember Spurs signing Terry mings to go alongside DRob in his rookie year?), and I do think the Spurs would have a winning record in a Wembanyama rookie year.

The other reason is because the clock will be ticking. I don't think the franchise has a choice but to load up to win if they snag Wembanyama. We're small market so we're gonna need to immediately prove to him that he can win here before his rookie contract runs out and he can be wooed away.

But that said -- this is all just hopes and dreams. A lot of losing needs to happen to even have a chance to find out.
    Heaven help the poor kid if we are lucky enough to get him and folks have these kind of immediate expectations of him. Duncan and Robinson were full four year college players with time to develop physically, mentally ,and basketball skillwise. He would be another 19 year old kid that will need time to mature and develop. Slow down a little.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heaven help the poor kid if we are lucky enough to get him and folks have these kind of immediate expectations of him. Duncan and Robinson were full four year college players with time to develop physically, mentally ,and basketball skillwise. He would be another 19 year old kid that will need time to mature and develop. Slow down a little.
    And they stepped onto ready-made teams.
    Wemby would not be doing the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah Wembanyama will need 2-3 years just like the Greek Freak. He's only 19 and played like 20 min per game for ASVEL last season. The kid will need to put on some muscle and have to get used to the NBA, but if the Spurs get him they basically have a core with young players filling every position and can just let them play til they get good enough to get back to the playoffs. I'd say a 2026 playoff appearance should be the goal for this franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah Wembanyama will need 2-3 years just like the Greek Freak. He's only 19 and played like 20 min per game for ASVEL last season. The kid will need to put on some muscle and have to get used to the NBA, but if the Spurs get him they basically have a core with young players filling every position and can just let them play til they get good enough to get back to the playoffs. I'd say a 2026 playoff appearance should be the goal for this franchise.
    Weэll follow his performance for the Thunder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim did, David did not. David was drafted in 1987, and the team was in the lottery for the next two years before he completed his Navy service.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim did, David did not. David was drafted in 1987, and the team was in the lottery for the next two years before he completed his Navy service.
    But DRob came into a team with new additions in Sean Elliott, Terry mings and Mad Max/Rod Strickland and Willie Anderson (year before). He came into a pretty good roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What KingKev said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But DRob came into a team with new additions in Sean Elliott, Terry mings and Mad Max/Rod Strickland and Willie Anderson (year before). He came into a pretty good roster.
    At the time, wasn't it the biggest turnaround in record from one season to the next? If it wasn't it was close.

But yeah, Sean Elliott and a second year rod and Willie equally deserve credit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It turned out OK, but Tim came to a roster that had been to the WCFs a couple of years earlier. The 89-90 roster was kind of an unknown, and it’s outcome was probably 80% due to an athletic freak from the USNA, and not pre-existing construction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this mean Weiskamf is toast?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It turned out OK, but Tim came to a roster that had been to the WCFs a couple of years earlier. The 89-90 roster was kind of an unknown, and it’s outcome was probably 80% due to an athletic freak from the USNA, and not pre-existing construction.
    DRob was also a 24 years old rookie, full NBA body who can go against NBA compe ion from day 1. Unlike our draftees of 19.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely means he'll be on the main roster like he was towards the end of last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Durant was an inefficient chucker his first year with one year of college under his belt. Didn't hardly improve Seattle at all.

Luka doncic - a ing stud from day 1 with an NBA body. No 20 to 30 game swing

There's a learning curve. Especially for a 7'3 skeleton.

Could he tack on 10-20 wins with the help of an improved squad who averages less than 24 years with ample room for improvement ? Absolutely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a QO in the table. Doubt anyone else is going to offer him more so he’ll be at training camp.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl Spur
    #30 has shown some promise; would like to see him in austin

It’s a gift…… primo says hi!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Durant was an inefficient chucker his first year with one year of college under his belt. Didn't hardly improve Seattle at all.

Luka doncic - a ing stud from day 1 with an NBA body. No 20 to 30 game swing

There's a learning curve. Especially for a 7'3 skeleton.

Could he tack on 10-20 wins with the help of an improved squad who averages less than 24 years with ample room for improvement ? Absolutely.
    Yeah I have a feeling that OK is going to take it slow with Chet because one he is so skinny and two it just takes longer for bigs bodies to be ready for NBA grind. They not going to put to much pressure on a a tall player bones and ligaments by giving him to much work at least for probably first year and maybe second year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the time, wasn't it the biggest turnaround in record from one season to the next? If it wasn't it was close.

But yeah, Sean Elliott and a second year rod and Willie equally deserve credit.
    https://youtu.be/hnzzi0QDK-w

Point Gods drops next weekend on Showtime… all about NYC PGs

I’m looking forward to this; def will be some Strick footage.

Thread Information