Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an amazing run. Seems like yesterday that I was celebrating the Spurs picking the speedy point guard from France who I thought could be a good change of pace backup point guard for a few years before hopefully one day being starting material. Little did we know that he'd be thrown into the fire a couple weeks into his rookie season and play better than anyone thought possible. Handling nightly Pop tirades before he could legally drink, dominating playoff games against HOF PGs from his very first year, leading transitions from the Four-Down Era to the Penetrate And Kick Era to the Beautiful Game Era, playing with an unbreakable confidence in himself and an unbreakable trust in Pop's directions, and the list goes on.

If David Robinson was the foundation of the championship era, Tim Duncan was the backbone and Manu Ginobili was the heart, Tony Parker was the engine that made it go.

Thank you.
    tp was the engine

1.21 JIGGAWATTS! Lebowski Brickowski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What an amazing run. Seems like yesterday that I was celebrating the Spurs picking the speedy point guard from France who I thought could be a good change of pace backup point guard for a few years before hopefully one day being starting material. Little did we know that he'd be thrown into the fire a couple weeks into his rookie season and play better than anyone thought possible. Handling nightly Pop tirades before he could legally drink, dominating playoff games against HOF PGs from his very first year, leading transitions from the Four-Down Era to the Penetrate And Kick Era to the Beautiful Game Era, playing with an unbreakable confidence in himself and an unbreakable trust in Pop's directions, and the list goes on.

If David Robinson was the foundation of the championship era, Tim Duncan was the backbone and Manu Ginobili was the heart, Tony Parker was the engine that made it go.

Thank you.
    Yeah and not only that... Tony was the head of the snake. He had the ball in his hands in almost every clutch moment for 3+ years, was a legitimate mvp candidate twice, was a deadly finisher of games, and ran probably more miles than any Spur ever. Tony will never get his due from ST for some stupid reason but he was easily the 2nd greatest player of the Big 3 era and the 3rd greatest Spur of all time and it's not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a matter of time before he’s banging Jordan’s smokeshow wife tbh.

Goat vs the Goat penetrator...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A sad day that makes me think of just yesterday signing up for the Spurs forum right after the draft, and the big talk was “the Spurs might sign Chris Webber and tell David robinson to take a hike”

The turned down trade for Gary Payton, the mythical “Artest and Mercer for Parker” trade

Thanks for everything Tony. Without you, there would still only be one banner in the rafters

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, TP. It was a uva great ride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thank you.
    "Paris Basket Racing" was legit, after all.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree completely. Tony (along with Manu and Dirk) were some of my fav players to talk to. Tony was always super friendly to us off the court too. Tony and my husband lived in the same condo building early in Tony's career (when LJ and I were engaged ). That was when I first moved to SA. So we ran into him a lot. At the building, at restaurants, etc. He was always cool.

I became friendly with his dad, and his dad ended up deciding to play on LJs rec basketball team one summer. It's hilarious that his dad has Tony's same moves on the court.

Anyway, I know it's a SpursTalk tradition to trash Tony, but he's a good guy...and he's a Spurs legend. I know he wanted more playing time, and now he'll get it. But it's sad that he's not retiring a Spur.
    I wonder if that's because it was early in his career? I have always heard people on Jordan for being an asshole, but his first 3-4 years he was always friendly and would always sign autographs for me before games when Chicago came to town. Though in the 80s the only stars I can remember who were pricks about autographs were Kareem and Bird.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thank you.
    I still remember the hot rumor before the 2001 draft was how the Spurs badly wanted Parker, so knowing nothing about him I was still on the edge of my seat watching the draft and hoping like no one would snatch him before the Spurs picked. Then when he got drafted and walked up on stage all I could think was the Spurs were so desperate to draft this little er? He looked like someone's little brother, like he didn't even fit into the draft cap Stern handed him. But then reading about his performance in the summer league all of us at the previous site were so hyped the Spurs had stolen an allstar. Especially once Seattle offered Gary Payton to the Spurs in exchange for what was it, Parker, Malik Rose, and AD after two or three games in the summer league? LOL at how much that pissed Casper off the whole summer that the Spurs shot down a trade for Gary Payton.

By far my favorite highlights of his career were watching him eviscerate Nash repeatedly in the playoff matchups against Phoenix. God Suns fans must have hated him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting Tony and Timmy and Manu and David best draft nights ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a TP hater and that quote never really bothered me, mainly because I think most of us were frustrated by Kawhi’s disappearing act by that point.

Like others have said I have mixed feelings about TP leaving. I wanted him gone for years but he was criminally underrated at times. Thanks TP for the run and I’m sure he’ll get a great sendoff when he retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Spurs Legend. I won't lie, I teared up a bit when I read the news. He declined/fell off a clip the last couple of seasons, but that doesn't dimmish what he has done for the Franchise throughout his carreer. He should have been a Spur for life, but glad he got a good contract before he retires. His jersey should go to the rafters the first game he comes back to SA.

Thanks TP! Go and stick it in MJ's wife for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna miss him. One of my favorites. He did what was asked of him and more (distribute, score). Some idiots don't understand that. Hated seeing him decline but happy for him. I'll be at the Hornets game when he visits. Merci TP. And of course - Jason Kidd who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That never gets old!

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Pretty sure this was brought up but he probably signed with Hornets because Nicolas Batum is on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know this. Thanks for this input.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure this was brought up but he probably signed with Hornets because Nicolas Batum is on the roster.
    Playing time
    Bigger role
    Mj
    And him yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A sad day that makes me think of just yesterday signing up for the Spurs forum right after the draft, and the big talk was “the Spurs might sign Chris Webber and tell David robinson to take a hike”

The turned down trade for Gary Payton, the mythical “Artest and Mercer for Parker” trade

Thanks for everything Tony. Without you, there would still only be one banner in the rafters
    Crazy lunatic .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really thought Tony would retire a Spur, and I would have liked that. It is kind of a pity that he will spend his final NBA days elsewhere. But I sure didn't want him back next season. Thanks, Tony, and goodbye.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God bless the great William Anthony Parker. He had some selfishness in him and he screwed a good guy over, but this Kawhitter stuff has really made me appreciate what a loyal soldier he was for us. HOTS will be missed.
    HOTS... No more will it be said in game threads...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were interested in bringing Parker back in a mentorship role. They offered him a one-year deal, but no assurances of steady playing time.

IOW, GTFO... good move, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Stahp!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were interested in bringing Parker back in a mentorship role. They offered him a one-year deal, but no assurances of steady playing time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy with another great assist tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “We stayed there for like an hour talking about everything,” Murray said. “He told me how he was going to teach me no matter what and give me advice no matter what.”

Tp class

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Uh oh Charlotte women need to pepper their angus, tbh.

Parker insists he is not leaving town forever. His wife and two kids will continue to live in San Antonio as he works in Charlotte.

Thread Information