Birthday: 09/07/1987
    College: Xavier

DraftExpress
    nbadraft

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mountianballer pointed out in the General Draft thread...this guy had pretty impressive numbers in his Pre Draft Measurements...over 7'2 inches of wingspan with almost 9 feet of standing reach. He was one of the strongest players on the bench and his agility drills were as good and in some cases better than a lot of the small forward prospects. He is currently projected to go at 42, but if he falls then it is a no-brainer that we take him with our 51st pick. I'm actually a little tempted to roll the dice on him at 37.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4213690

Brown opts to remain in NBA draft

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

CHICAGO -- Xavier junior Derrick Brown is staying in the NBA draft, a fact new coach Chris Mack has known for a few weeks.

With Mack watching from the stands, Brown told ESPN.com after Thursday's first session at the NBA draft combine in Chicago, "I'm not going back to school."

Brown said he graduated and the coaching move of Sean Miller to Arizona and the elevation of Mack from assistant to head coach had little effect on his decision.

"I feel I was going to do this regardless," said Brown. "Coach Miller is my guy."

Brown said his versatility as a 6-foot-8 forward is something "NBA teams need."

"This is something we've know for three or four weeks," said Mack of Brown's decision. "I've been in his corner and want to support him."

Mack said people forget he redshirted his freshman season so next year would be his fifth at Xavier.

"He's got all the tools to be a successful NBA player," Mack said. "He's oozing with potential. He's got it in him to be very productive for years to come."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his measurements are almost freakish, but id only take him if green and Casspi are gone. I think Dante Cunningham would also be a better pick then him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mountianballer pointed out in the General Draft thread...this guy had pretty impressive numbers in his Pre Draft Measurements...over 7'2 inches of wingspan with almost 9 feet of standing reach. He was one of the strongest players on the bench and his agility drills were as good and in some cases better than a lot of the small forward prospects. He is currently projected to go at 42, but if he falls then it is a no-brainer that we take him with our 51st pick. I'm actually a little tempted to roll the dice on him at 37.
    Looking at him statistically, this wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs stood pat. He made strides with his perimeter shot last year, and has standout defensive potential. Combine that with his measurements, and there's some Bowenesque role player potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his measurements are almost freakish, but id only take him if green and Casspi are gone. I think Dante Cunningham would also be a better pick then him.
    They are a lot alike, but Brown has better potential to guard multiple positions and he already has a 3pt shot(43%). Being a Bruce replacement in our system is predicated on those two things, and Brown looks more ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at him statistically, this wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs stood pat. He made strides with his perimeter shot last year, and has standout defensive potential. Combine that with his measurements, and there's some Bowenesque role player potential.
    I know. I'm starting to salivate a little bit as I have been poking around online for the past couple of hours learning more about him.

Sold...take him at 37.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess im already swayed by his 3pt shooting i didn't really see that before. I read he was a lottery pick at the beginning of the college season so he probably has the most potential of anyone the spurs can get except maybe claver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    almost exactly the same, gist only did 5 reps whats up with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    almost exactly the same, gist only did 5 reps whats up with that.
    I think Gist is a quite a bit leaner than Brown. Brown could wind up being a better version of Gist because his strength...which he will need against the bigger SF's in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though the spurs don't have a first round pick at least for now, I'm getting really anxious for the 37th pick they could go so many ways.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I didn't know much about him but I like what I'm reading. Thanks for all the updates.

He sounds like a solid pick if some of the other guys are already off the board.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another point to like about Brown is his efficiency. even if it dropped this year (down from a fantastic 1.66 PPS), he still scores at a pretty high rate (1.42 PPS) and that's something Spurs look at intensively, especially when scouting potential role players. and he was best in this department in the 2007-08 season, when he played in a very balanced Xavier attack and took only 7 shots a game. with the Spurs he also wouldn't get many looks per game.

but it has been mentioned, is there a big difference to James Gist?
    (Brown might be the smarter and more team oriented player though, what of course would give him a big edge with the Spurs)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if available at 25-28 the spurs need to make a play for this kid more so than casspi..He is stronger, better athlete, and much further along in his game than casspi..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Posey Derrick Brown

Height 6-8 6-8

Weight 215.0 227.0

Offensive Rating 113.6 119.3

3pt FG Pct. 36.6 43.3

True Shooting Pct. 61.4 59.8 (Free-throw% Posey's only edge)

Reb Per Game 8.944 6.057

Off Reb Pct 9.7 9.8

Def Reb Pct 18.8 13.3

A/T Ratio 0.7 1.1

Steals Per Game 2.833 0.714

Blocks Per Game 0.944 0.875
    For a complete comparison of their numbers at Xavier in their Jr. year:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/com...p1=james-posey
    Last edited by Blackjack; 06-10-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    limited offense, mediocre ball handling, can shoot the 3, and plays defense? seems like a perfect fit for the spurs. hopefully he is at least a taller and faster udoka.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hopefully he is at least a taller and faster udoka.
    Here's why I looked at a comparison of Brown and Posey:

(Pre-Draft Measurements)

Derrick Brown

Height w/o Shoes
    6' 7.5"

Height w/shoes
    6' 8.5"

Weight

Wingspan
    7' 2.5"

Standing Reach
    8' 11.5"

James Posey

Height w/o Shoes
    6' 6.5"

Weight

Wingspan
    7' 0"

Brown definitely has the size the Spurs are looking for at the wing, the question is: Can he legitimately play a Bowen-type defensive role at the next level?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to see where he goes. In browsing through mocks across the interwebs this morning I have found there are a lot of different opinions regarding Brown. Some now have him sneaking into the first round(as high as 26) and others still have him as a mid second rounder. I think it goes without saying that the Spurs are not going to see Casspi at 37. In the pool of player that could fall to us there at SF, I definitely see Brown as the best available.
    Brown definitely has the size the Spurs are looking for at the wing, the question is: Can he legitimately play a Bowen-type defensive role at the next level?
    It is going to be hard to replace the type of defense Bowen brought...and IMHO there is no player in this draft that will be available to us that can do that. That said, Brown has a lot of tools/upside and is easily an intriguing enough prospect to take at 37 to see if he is something close to Bowen at the next level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is going to be hard to replace the type of defense Bowen brought...and IMHO there is no player in this draft that will be available to us that can do that. That said, Brown has a lot of tools/upside and is easily an intriguing enough prospect to take at 37 to see if he is something close to Bowen at the next level.
    No doubt. You're not going to find someone to come in and do what Bruce has done over the years right off the bat, but anyone who can deliver the size and athleticism to approximate what Bruce has done, would be a much needed upgrade.

I'm really kind of in the dark when it comes to evaluating Brown. I didn't get a chance to really see him play, so as much as his measurements and write-ups impress/intrigue me, I'm not really able to come to a conclusion.

I do know this. If he could do anything similar to Batum defensively in his first year, this guy's almost a no-brainer.

The only defensive-size the Spurs have on the perimeter, at this point, is Bruce, and judging by this year? I don't think Pop is going to feel all that comfortable playing him extended minutes during the regular-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tes/index.html

One week and a day until the draft, and Austin Daye of Gonzaga and Derrick Brown of Xavier are good bets for sleeper picks, possibly -- and in Brown's case likely -- destined for the second half of the first round but intriguing enough prospects who could have productive careers.

Brown (13.7 points, 6.1 rebounds last season) is 6-8˝ in shoes, great size for a small forward, has long arms to help with defense and rebounding, great leaping ability and a first step to be feared. In a sign of a player expanding his game rather than strictly relying on athleticism, he jumped from taking only 40 three-pointers the previous two seasons and making 15 (37.5 percent) to going 39-of-90 (43.3 percent) in 2008-09. NBA teams love to see a guy trending up like that.
    Damn, It looks like the Spurs might have to get into the first round for a crack at Brown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CJ grad Brown’s NBA stock soars with every workout

By Sean McClelland
    Staff writer

9:36 PM Friday, June 19, 2009

Derrick Brown (Chaminade Julienne), a 6-foot-8 junior forward from Xavier, is projected as a late first-round pick in the Thursday, June 25, NBA draft, but his stock could be rising as he auditions for NBA teams.

He’s been called everything from a sleeper prospect to the most underrated player available.

In Portland this week Brown worked out with other highly rated players such as North Carolina forward Tyler Hansbrough and UCLA guard Darren Collison. The Trail Blazers hold the No. 24 pick.

After the workout, Blazers General Manager Kevin Pritchard told reporters, “He can shoot it. He spreads the floor. ... He creates mismatches because of his size.”

An NBAdraft.net mock draft has Brown heading to Portland. And don’t worry about him when it comes to that first-round cash. Chances are he’ll know what to do with it after graduating last month with a degree in entrepreneurial studies and marketing.

Brown will try to become the latest in a long line of Xavier forwards — Tyrone Hill, Brian Grant, David West, James Posey, etc. — to make an NBA impact. At minimum, he is assured of becoming the second Miami Valley high school player in three years to be drafted, following Daequan Cook (Dunbar), who left Ohio State after one season in 2007 and now plays for the Miami Heat.

Brown sold himself like this in an interview with NBAdraft.net: “My ceiling is high, but I’m not a project, so I can help a team right away next year. You know, I can shoot it, I’m athletic, but I also use my brain out there.”

Intriguing to scouts is that Brown, at his size, shot 43 percent from 3-point range last season. Then there’s his 7-foot, 2˝-inch wingspan and standing reach of 8 feet, 11˝ inches. For a perimeter player, both measurements are off the charts.

Also working in Brown’s favor, this is considered the weakest draft in decades.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ut-170780.html

I think I've gone from leaning towards Brown, to salivating at the prospect of him being a Spur.

I mean, that part I highlighted, is that not exactly what the Spurs are looking for?
    Last edited by Blackjack; 06-20-2009 at 01:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, he seems more and more like a good fit, but I still think he'd be somewhat of a project, but he could prove me wrong. If the Spurs don't get what they want and he is still there, I say they should take him.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    The more I read about him the more I like. He's already passed other guys I was hoping the Spurs would draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, he seems more and more like a good fit, but I still think he'd be somewhat of a project, but he could prove me wrong. If the Spurs don't get what they want and he is still there, I say they should take him.

Outside of maybe the first 5 picks, everyone in the draft is a project. This isn't 1985 where the first 15 picks all start, and 5 of them will be All Stars. The first round is now about the caliber of the second round 10 years ago.

Thread Information