Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When asked about Carroll's first game of extended minutes, Pop had this to say:

"I thought he was wonderful. I thought he played pretty well at both ends. He doesn't know what we're doing all the time offensively, which is totally understandable. But he's putting out the effort and he played aggressively so that was good."

prayingdog.jpg @ Pop actually playing him going forward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "He doesn't know what we're doing all the time offensively"
    Thankfully he doesn't seem to know whatever the they're doing defensively either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk if anyone paid attention but I dont think anyone scored on Carroll this game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how can he know what we are doing if he doesnt play??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow it only took 7 losses in a row and a Derrick White injury for Carroll to crack the rotation. Maybe another 7 in a row for Walker and then another 7 in a row to make a trade. By the time the Spurs are 5-24 the line ups might be right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was running Trey Lyles out there game 1...but Carroll is new and has no idea of the offense. Situation is going bad to worse. Pop will get more grumpy if we keep losing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When asked about Carroll's first game of extended minutes, Pop had this to say:

"I thought he was wonderful. I thought he played pretty well at both ends. He doesn't know what we're doing all the time offensively, which is totally understandable. But he's putting out the effort and he played aggressively so that was good."

prayingdog.jpg @ Pop actually playing him going forward

Looks like Pop finally figured out Carroll needs to be part of the main rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White was out last game and Murray's out tonight. He won't see any meaningful minutes after this if Pop has his way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was running Trey Lyles out there game 1...but Carroll is new and has no idea of the offense. Situation is going bad to worse. Pop will get more grumpy if we keep losing.
    Actually he has seemed quite civil during the last two post-game pressers. I haven't seen many other than those two...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't know what we're doing all the time offensively
    Who does?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow it only took 7 losses in a row and a Derrick White injury for Carroll to crack the rotation. Maybe another 7 in a row for Walker and then another 7 in a row to make a trade. By the time the Spurs are 5-24 the line ups might be right
    I keep thinking maybe there was a decent team to be had out of the messed up roster Pop built. But he has steam-rolled too many egos and ruffled too many feathers for the squad to recover. I keep thinking that a SL of DWhite, Dumbmar, DeMarre, Lyles and LMA might have developed into a fairly solid unit. But I think Pop has messed with Derrick's head too much and maybe DeMarre's, too. With a bench core of Murray, Mills, Gay and Poodle, Pop could have started Marco, phasing him out and Lonnie/Keldon into the rotation. Forbes could be a deep bench designated desperation gunner, and Metu could fill in for Gay/Poodle when they were struck by injury or ineffectiveness. But I think Pop got the team off on the wrong foot, and I don't think he will make these changes. I think Mugen is probably right: at this juncture Pop has lost many, if not most, of the players. And I don't see him reeling them back in. , tonight in his post-game comments he practically admitted it, saying that it was great to have Timmy on staff, because when Tim Duncan asks you to do something it has a lot more impact than when Popovich does - and that's cool. That's almost a direct quote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apalisoc_9

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, wtf? How can Caroll be that much slower in learning the system?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How complicated is the damn system that a guy who’s been playing basketball his entire life, and has been in the NBA for 10 years, can’t grab minutes on the floor.

Pop needs to seriously get over himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How complicated is the damn system that a guy who’s been playing basketball his entire life, and has been in the NBA for 10 years, can’t grab minutes on the floor.

The ownership group needs to get over Pop. Pop isn’t likely to get over himself in this lifetime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep thinking maybe there was a decent team to be had out of the messed up roster Pop built. But he has steam-rolled too many egos and ruffled too many feathers for the squad to recover. I keep thinking that a SL of DWhite, Dumbmar, DeMarre, Lyles and LMA might have developed into a fairly solid unit. But I think Pop has messed with Derrick's head too much and maybe DeMarre's, too. With a bench core of Murray, Mills, Gay and Poodle, Pop could have started Marco, phasing him out and Lonnie/Keldon into the rotation. Forbes could be a deep bench designated desperation gunner, and Metu could fill in for Gay/Poodle when they were struck by injury or ineffectiveness.
    I'm with you on that and I think most of us thought the same thing. It's pretty clear you have to start White/DeRozan/Carroll/Aldridge and probably go bigger and add one of Gay/Lyles or you can start Poeltl and then go small from the 6 min mark to the end of each half. That's what Pop did yesterday. Then with Murray and Walker off the bench the Spurs can run with Poeltl, Patty and one of the forwards. That team would probably make the playoffs.

It's just mind boggling why Popovich doesn't see it and keeps playing Forbes and Belinelli. There's no way Forbes will become a 3rd stringer this season, when he's the main reason why this team can't defend

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

carroll has struggled with the offense and defense not just in games but practice. He’s been with the team working out since august.

lyles has picked up the defense and offense faster. That’s why Carroll has been slow to get minutes.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

so pop is at fault for Carroll failing to pick up the offense and defense since august? That’s a new one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop wants to see if he can salvage the season with what he has, he needs to:

Start: White, Forbes, DeRozan, Carroll and Aldridge

and play a 4 man rotation off the bench with: Murray, Mills, Gay and Poeltl.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop wants to see if he can salvage the season with what he has, he needs to:

Start: White, Forbes, DeRozan, Carroll and Aldridge

and play a 4 man rotation off the bench with: Murray, Mills, Gay and Poeltl.
    I would go with Gay instead of Forbes in the SL, and Lyles/Lonnie instead of Gay off the bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would go with Gay instead of Forbes in the SL, and Lyles/Lonnie instead of Gay off the bench
    I don't know if Gay would survive an entire season as a starter, tbh. But yeah, he's definitely a top 5 player on the roster. He should be a regular closer for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if Gay would survive an entire season as a starter, tbh. But yeah, he's definitely a top 5 player on the roster. He should be a regular closer for sure.
    I'm just so tired of Forbes D, I need defense in the starting lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just so tired of Forbes D, I need defense in the starting lineup.
    If defense is your main concern, then starting Murray and White together is the way to go.

Thread Information