Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    I'm gonna be out there in a few weeks. Anything worth doing while I'm there? I've heard the party scene is pretty legit. Any extremely Mormon areas I should stay away from? Don't know very much about the city tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    son I lived north of SLC for 1 1/2 years while in the chair force. I didn't go down there much as it's half mormonville and half pauperville; everything you needed was outside of the base so there was no need to travel down and see that ing temple. the skiing in the mountains is awesome though, park city has a bunch of rich, divorced s too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    You can count the number of Black people you see during your stay (excluding professional athletes).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    yes, that's true. I remember there being a snoop dog concert in town; of the coworkers that went, they said it was the whitest crowd ever

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    son I lived north of SLC for 1 1/2 years while in the chair force. I didn't go down there much as it's half mormonville and half pauperville; everything you needed was outside of the base so there was no need to travel down and see that ing temple. the skiing in the mountains is awesome though, park city has a bunch of rich, divorced s too.
    Really? I've heard the city isn't too bad when it comes to Mormons as that's more the areas outside of SLC. I'm only gonna be there for like 2 days and suck at skiing too, so what else

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    Really? I've heard the city isn't too bad when it comes to Mormons as that's more the areas outside of SLC. I'm only gonna be there for like 2 days and suck at skiing too, so what else
    It's not; the poor areas are just like any other city. The temple is downtown, which is where I went most, so that's probably why I saw so many gots getting married every saturday.

I haven't lived there in like 6 years so I don't really remember from my limited SLC trips. You could always check out the ty, smelly salt lake..it seriously smells so bad. I dunno. Disgusting salt lake, unhealthy obsession with genealogy, the temple...I dunno what to tell you. Maybe someone who lives there can be more helpful. The scenery is alright if you're outdoorsy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Well I was really interested in this job now I'm not so sure if I have to live in SLC

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    it's livable, it's got all the things a big city has. it's just ing utah.

oh yeah, the beer. the beer there is limited to 3.2% cuz of some gay law; anything over that is illegal (except on military bases). so if you're a big beer drinker, that might be weird.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    SLC is a great place to be if you're young, educated, relatively wealthy for several reasons:

1. University of Utah is not BYU - It is legit as far as its scene. Yeah, it's white, but the times I visited friends now in PhD programs, it's seemed like any other college town, including Tucson, minus some of the temperature bliss one gets at Arizona.
    2. Maybe not for you, but there's some quality happenings for the educated ilk. More arts/liberal arts, but some pretty cool scenes.
    3. Property is relatively inexpensive. I'm a believer in Travel magazine's "Best places to live if under 30" and SLC was in the top-5 for recreation, scene, jobs, and cheap housing (had Austin #1).

It's a quality town to spend 2/3 years in to get experience, buy low on some property and build equity. And, who knows, you may enjoy deflowering them rebellious Mormon girls. Some of the most restricted can be the most adventurous once they get to college. Hahaha... Plus it's still Pac-12 country, so you'd get Pac-12 network for games.

I will not say SLC is liberal, but there are clear cut and definitely large factions of free thinkers who are pretty cool to hang with.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    All that said, I'll be damned if I can't remember a single specific place we visited. Wish I could remember. It's been a few years.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    All that said, I'll be damned if I can't remember a single specific place we visited. Wish I could remember. It's been a few years.

that's the same thing with me. I can't remember any place I visited except for a car dealership where I helped a friend buy a car.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats

that's the same thing with me. I can't remember any place I visited except for a car dealership where I helped a friend buy a car.
    I think maybe my experience is tainted because I was with awesome free-thinker people going to awesome free-thinker places.

Maybe it's not a "great" place.

I remember leaving thinking I could live there. And I'm pretty picky. I refused to even apply for jobs in Phoenix because I want nothing to do with the city. I remember thinking it had a distinctly college town feel in the areas I visited, which is very important for me.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    it's livable, it's got all the things a big city has. it's just ing utah.

oh yeah, the beer. the beer there is limited to 3.2% cuz of some gay law; anything over that is illegal (except on military bases). so if you're a big beer drinker, that might be weird.
    I think it's changed a bit in the last few years. I know you can homebrew now and just from googling you can buy higher than 3.2% but only at places licensed to sell liquor. I'm a big fan of Epic out of SLC.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    I think maybe my experience is tainted because I was with awesome free-thinker people going to awesome free-thinker places.

Maybe it's not a "great" place.

I remember leaving thinking I could live there. And I'm pretty picky. I refused to even apply for jobs in Phoenix because I want nothing to do with the city. I remember thinking it had a distinctly college town feel in the areas I visited, which is very important for me.
    I could live north of the city in places like Ogden or Layton or places of the sort. There are some decent people around there from what I remember; it's just the majority of them reproduce like rabbits. It's best feature is definitely the mountains, I lived really close to the mountains and had a great view of them from my dorm. I liked the weather too as I love cold weather.

I think it's changed a bit in the last few years. I know you can homebrew now and just from googling you can buy higher than 3.2% but only at places licensed to sell liquor. I'm a big fan of Epic out of SLC.
    Oh; yeah it might changed have as it's been a while. When I lived there, I remember guys taking beer off base and trying to impress the girls with the higher alcohol content it never worked.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    SLC is a great place to be if you're young, educated, relatively wealthy for several reasons:
    Lets just say if I get this job, money won't be an issue at all. Only issue is I'll be working 100 hours a week most of the year.

Whottt are the coeds like? Are University of Utah s anything like UofA s at all? If so then Salt Lake would be good enough as a place to live after school

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Whats the name of that ranch in Utah where demons meet aliens ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Lets just say if I get this job, money won't be an issue at all. Only issue is I'll be working 100 hours a week most of the year.

Whottt are the coeds like? Are University of Utah s anything like UofA s at all? If so then Salt Lake would be good enough as a place to live after school
    Looks wise, not on par in he quan y of quality as Arizona, but there's plenty enough quality, and for most of them, there's a reason they are at Utah, meaning it's not BYU, which tells you something about their mores. Bar scene seemed pretty standard when I visited. If money is not a problem and you get one of them adventurous former-religious types, SLC is a great place to be for a shorter-term stay. Plenty of Mormons, for sure, but I met some "Mormons" that I was shocked to discover still clung to the le.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Sounds good tbh I'd only be there for 3-5 years then I'd transfer to the east coast/go back to school for an MBA.

I'm gonna be up against a bunch of Ivy leaguers/USC/Stanford/etc. when I interview so the chances of me getting it are slim, I figure I should have fun the weekend I'm being flown out to a new city I know nothing about. If by some miracle I hit my interviews out of the park and get it then I'm taking the job without 2nd thought. Still in awe I got picked for this interview.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Good luck; Salt Lake City is beautiful and there is tons of great outdoors stuff to do in Utah.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Utah Utes
    We don't want you here. Stay away.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Utah Utes
    Seriously though...SLC itself gets a bad rap. You have Utah, which is extremely moral oriented and pretty much a family based boring life, and then you have Salt Lake City which is more liberal and definitely a state within a state. This is why a lot of U of U girls let go when they get here. They've been exposed to a certain moral standard for most their lives and when they hit the U, they let loose. The diversity within SLC surprises a lot of people when they visit, but once you get out of SLC is when white country kicks in.

Not a ton of things to do, but you'll have no problem finding something to keep your weekends busy. Probably not gonna be too impressed if you're just here for a couple days though. Whatever you do, stay away from the lake. That damn thing reeks of stink and is just a big lake. I'd suggest taking a day and driving up through Park City and checking out that area.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I'm gonna be out there in a few weeks. Anything worth doing while I'm there? I've heard the party scene is pretty legit. Any extremely Mormon areas I should stay away from? Don't know very much about the city tbh.
    In SLC proper?

Good restaurants (google any for location): Red Iguana- Mexican, Market Street Broiler- good/pricey seafood, Cafe Niche or Pago- spendy artisan food that's great, Caputos- sammiches, La Cai- so-so asian, Mazza- mediterranean, Este or The Pie- pizza, Ginza- sushi, Sages- veg, Bayleaf- if you're hammered downtown at 2 AM... and then chains (Cheesecake Factory, Benihana, Chiipotle, all that type of .)

Bars: Beerhive, Bar X, Gracies, Green Pig, Urban Lounge, Cheers to You, Bourbon House, Twilight Lounge (ghetto & hipster as ), and Dixies. All those are downtown plus more- everything downtown is close enough that you can bar hop pretty easily. Downtown will be busy over the weekend, otherwise it's a crapshoot if any one bar pops off. Sugarhouse Pub and the surrounding area (south) is somewhat cool/laid back if you wanna get a few blocks away from downtown. (There's real beer in all the bars and liquor stores btw. Only grocery/convenience stores limit to 3.2%). There's also 3.2% beer in bars- just ask the bartenders what's what or stick to Torpedoes. A lot of good, high % microbrews worth trying.

If you're bored during the day and have transportation and time, your best bet is to go up to Park City. Your day up there would be spent walking through art galleries, clothiers, bars and restaurants- all world class/resort townish type places. PC Mountain Resort has zipline/alpine slide (a big slide with carts), stuff like that. Fun place to party- it's a rich town so act/prepare to be treated accordingly.

Check out concerts with Google. Chances are you'll find something worth seeing. Go see a Jazz game maybe.

The UofU is a commuter campus and the surrounding area is pretty meh. The campus itself is cool though. U girls will be downtown at night (nearby), There isn't much of a nightlife in direct proximity to the campus unless it's house parties.

There's not a whole lot going on during the day. A new mall just opened downtown (City Creek), it's pretty nice.

Everything is mormon and pretty lame and cookie cutter except in SLC proper and PC. It's evident where the city is. There's downtown and the U on the north side of the city, everything in-between those, and a handful of blocks extending southward into the suburbs. Don't go anywhere else unless it's the mountains. Hope you have a decent time.
    Last edited by balli; 11-08-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you like the outdoors. Utah is a great place to live. SLC is central to some great canyons and ski resorts. During spring and summer the mountain biking, rock climbing and hiking are fantastic. The mountains are beautiful so its always a pretty nice scene.

If you are looking to party SLC has its locations but it will not be in your top 10 cities. I also took a job with a firm in SLC but I have three small kids and a stay at home wife. For family, SLC and Utah are probably a top 10 location if you ask me. I just like SATX better.

Temple Square is worth visiting if you have never been. Mormons are nice people although they can be overzealous in their missionary work. Just tell them that you are not interested and they will usually leave you alone.

FYI, after the winter games they made a lot of improvements to the downtown area and old train station which has some great restaurants and bars. It would be worth visiting.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    FYI, alot of people like Cafe Rio when they go to Utah. Personally I am not a fan but I am definitely in the minority when it comes to that place.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only been there once in January last year. I spent half the time in Park City which is nice. But I stayed in SLC near downtown. It seemed to have everything but was low key. I only remember eating at a place called Himilayan Kitchen, which is good. Also that there was a big ass catholic church down the street from the Church of JC of L-D S.

Coincidentally, the Spurs were playing the Jazz while I was there so I went to the game, of course. It was kind of a geeky crowd. Wore some Spurs gear. They hate Manu and booed him but Manu and Tony ed on the Jazz.

Thread Information