Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say yes. Be interesting to see their draft board though. Ziaire Williams is the one I suspect may have been in play.
    I agree. I actually thought about that too actually. If both Primo and Ziaire had both been on the board, would we have gone with Ziaire?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I actually thought about that too actually. If both Primo and Ziaire had both been on the board, would we have gone with Ziaire?

Nobody knows

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wieskamp looks like a long-term bench piece to me. Lights out shooter, long and athletic. Given his length his defense should improve somewhat. He need to add muscle so he doesn’t get bullied in the post and the coaching staff definitely needs to help him with his footwork on D, but there’s potential there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Spurs would’ve picked this guy over Butler.

Same way I wonder if they would’ve picked Primo over Bouknight.
    They would have picked Primo over Bouknight, yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

some really impressive blocks here. How did we get this guy at 41?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs got lucky. I hope he replaces Patty soon. Like, today.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

awful on defense, however he understands it and has said will do whatever the team says on how to improve. At the very least they’ve got their own Duncan Robinson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've seen him late 1st in a few draftboards but his defense has been extremely bad. I think a spurs system helps hide that especially if he buys into using his athleticism on that end. Cant stress enough that the dude moves around like J.J. Re off ball on offense and I love that at SF size. Could be a great tool in the offense down the road.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    awful on defense, however he understands it and has said will do whatever the team says on how to improve. At the very least they’ve got their own Duncan Robinson
    Currently, he's a 6'7" version of Bryn Forbes. Except with wingspan and athleticism. That's a good 2nd round pick. If they can coach his D up, that's a starter level guy...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Currently, he's a 6'7" version of Bryn Forbes. Except with wingspan and athleticism. That's a good 2nd round pick. If they can coach his D up, that's a starter level guy...
    So Kevin Huerter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if a bad defender gets the occassional block or steal he's already better than Bryn Forbes, cause Forbes can't do none of that. Not to mention rebound the basketball. I can see Weiskamp improve on that end quite a bit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who have watched him, or seen film, why is Wieskamp a bad defender? Specifics, please?

Not quick enough, gets beaten off the dribble? Lack of anticipation? Can’t handle screens? Not physical enough, ala Bertans? Gets caught out of position? Inattentive, ball watches? Or what?

He sure doesn’t look easy to shoot over, so I can’t believe it’s that. Anyway, specifics?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not realize just how athletic he is. At the 2021 NBA Combine, Wieskamp placed in the top 6 out of all participants in lane agility, the three-quarter sprint, and maximum vertical jump. In fact, his maximum vertical jump (42 inches) beat Lonnie Walker's maximum vertical measurement at the 2018 combine (40 inches). Pretty impressive to beat Lonnie's vertical.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may turn out to be a great draft .....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may turn out to be a great draft .....
    I'm coming to the same conclusion (although I wasn't thinking of either of these guys on draft night).

Pretty sure everyone was in the same boat immediately after the draft -- the Spurs didn't take anyone I really wanted (at the time) and didn't take anyone I really didn't want.

I doubt anyone can honestly disagree with that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he's nothing like Bryn at all then...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    knocks out that mystery. KBD next

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought KBD is ineligible for a two - way deal? I'd love for the team to bring him back even if that means dumping/buying out Aminu (duh).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not KBD. He makes the team or doesn't. Jeffries could be a two-way guy though, and he showed enough to make that okay. I'd still prefer a PG though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a great signing by the Spurs likely only made possible by COVID rules allowing two-way players to be paid basically as min guys. Still, it shows either a decent amount of trust in the FO (which honestly they haven't earned looking at Weatherspoon and Blossomgame both signing two-way deal but never getting that full deal) or a moderate lack of confidence in his ability to get a min deal elsewhere. I wonder if his SL play is what led to this over him getting a Jones-like contract. In either event, this clears up the roster a bit, bringing the roster compe ion down to 18 players compe ion for 15 spots.

Murray, White, Jones
    Walker, Forbes, Primo
    McDermott, Vassell, Hutchison, Bates-Diop
    Johnson, Young, Samanic, Aminu
    Poeltl, Landale, Eubanks, Collins

There's still a spot on the off-season roster for a second two-way and an Austin send-down. It might be best not to fill those spots, since this compe ion for back-court spots is going to be a bit livelier than normal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good news, tbh. Wieskamp looked decent at times in summer league but not quite good enough to give him a long-term, real contract. Tre Jones' floor was him developing into an okay-ish backup a la Jacque Vaughn so giving him a contract made sense. But for Wieskamp to agree to a two-way contract, that's a whole lot better than him declining the two-way contract and signing elsewhere. He needs a lot of fine-tuning but he probably has a 10-15% chance of becoming an NBA player -- which is better than you can say for most second rounders. Good size, plus athlete who can shoot is a really nice starting spot for a two-way player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, it shows either a decent amount of trust in the FO (which honestly they haven't earned looking at Weatherspoon and Blossomgame both signing two-way deal but never getting that full deal) or a moderate lack of confidence in his ability to get a min deal elsewhere.
    This was a bonus to the Eubanks signing. Eubanks going from undrafted to summer league to two-way contract to long-term contract gave the Spurs someone they could point to as a success story.

But yeah I'm surprised Wieskamp was willing to sign a two-way. I highly doubt the Spurs drafted him with the condition that he was going to sign a two-way. His stock was safely in the 40s so didn't have to agree to that to get drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not KBD. He makes the team or doesn't. Jeffries could be a two-way guy though
    You sure about that? KBD looks two-way eligible to me since he has less than four seasons in the NBA. He's also a two-way restricted free agent, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wieskamp was pretty impressive in passing lanes IMO

Thread Information