Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obamacare critic Rick Perry seeks cash from law

Gov. Rick Perry wants to kill Obamacare dead, but Texas health officials are in talks with the Obama administration about accepting an estimated $100 million available through the health law to care for the elderly and disabled, POLITICO has learned.
    Perry health aides are negotiating with the Obama administration on the terms of an optional Obamacare program that would allow Texas to claim stepped-up Medicaid funding for the care of people with disabilities.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...are-95727.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wondering when the health care lobby would begin to get their way with Mr 'Business friendly.'

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would be stupid not to.

I'm critical of the law but I am going to abuse the out of it.

Whats bad for the country can be good for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC living up to the Boomer legacy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do Texans pay federal taxes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC living up to the Boomer legacy.
    If you are stupid enough to vote for liberal politicians and get them elected I am smart enough to take advantage of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would be stupid not to.

I'm critical of the law but I am going to abuse the out of it.

Whats bad for the country can be good for me.
    So talk the talk, but don't walk the walk? I know you're not a politician campaigning on ideals, so I'm not going to put it on you.

But this is the reason the GOP needs to stop campaigning on non-negotiable ideals. When push come to shove, they don't give a about them. And big picture, it isn't winning them the elections that matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So talk the talk, but don't walk the walk? I know you're not a politician campaigning on ideals, so I'm not going to put it on you.

But this is the reason the GOP needs to stop campaigning on non-negotiable ideals. When push come to shove, they don't give a about them. And big picture, it isn't winning them the elections that matter.
    I don't think either party really gives a about me so that is why it is up to me to look out for me and my family.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do Texans pay federal taxes?
    They sure do. Which is exactly why Perry has an obligation to the citizens of Texas to opt in to the Medicaid expansion the law affords.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They sure do. Which is exactly why Perry has an obligation to the citizens of Texas to opt in to the Medicaid expansion the law affords.
    No disagreement here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think either party really gives a about me so that is why it is up to me to look out for me and my family.
    Sure, behind the smoke and mirrors, the dems are cut from the same cloth. What I don't get is why alienate voters by taking untenable positions they're ultimately willing to compromise on anyways.
    Last edited by ElNono; 08-21-2013 at 09:27 PM.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are stupid enough to vote for liberal politicians and get them elected I am smart enough to take advantage of them.
    Me, myself and I...

No sense of community? Ever had a BBQ with the neighbors?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicken dinner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republican Governors: Shhh, Don’t Call Our Obamacare Money Obamacare!

Perry is in good company among Republican governors, many of whom want billions of federal funds under the law’s Medicaid expansion, but don’t want to call it Obamacare.

One example is Arizona’s Jan Brewer, who used scorched-earth tactics to compel the reluctant Republicans who lead the state legislature to accept the eligibility expansion under Medicaid. After she won the fight, she insisted she was still against Obamacare and came up with her own name for what she had done.

“While I remain opposed to the Affordable Care Act, it has become increasingly clear to me that the status quo is not an option,” Brewer said. Instead, the governor described the expansion as her own plan. “With my Medicaid Restoration Plan, we can continue providing cost-effective care to these individuals — Arizona’s working poor.”

Another example is Florida’s Rick Scott. He initially rejected the Medicaid expansion. But faced with pressure from hospitals, and an enticing offer to insure many of his uninsured residents on the federal government’s tab, Scott buckled and championed the Obamacare provision back in February — only to be thwarted by his Republican-led legislature.

Then he returned to criticizing Obamacare, papering over the Medicaid component.

“The president’s health care law is a disaster. It’s going to be bad for patients, it’s going to be bad for businesses, it’s going to be bad for providers. There’s nobody that wins in that bill,” Scott told the local News Radio 1620 in June.

Well, not nobody, he admitted, calling the Medicaid expansion a “compassionate, common sense step forward,” rather then a “white flag of surrender to government-run health care.”

The governors’ desire to gloss over this contradiction reveals the contrast between Obamacare’s fixture as a conservative bogeyman and the good that the law, flawed as it may be, stands to do for many Americans. The Medicaid expansion is a lucrative offer: states are permitted to enroll new residents up to 133 percent of the federal poverty line; Washington will cover the full cost of the new beneficiaries until 2017 and pay 90 percent thereafter.

Other Republican governors who backed the expansion, such as John Kasich of Ohio and Susana Martinez of New Mexico, downplayed its link to the Affordable Care Act when declaring their intentions. But governors like Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania and Mary Fallin of Oklahoma con uously stressed Obamacare when announcing they’d turn it down.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, one of just four Republican governors to have officially enacted legislation expanding Medicaid, was more forthcoming and didn’t deny that he was embracing a part of Obamacare, albeit reluctantly.

“Let me be clear, I am no fan of the Affordable Care Act,” he said in a budget speech to the legislature back in February, announcing his support for the expansion. “I think it is wrong for New Jersey and for America. I fought against it and believe, in the long run, it will not achieve what it promises. However, it is now the law of the land. I will make all my judgments as governor based on what is best for New Jerseyans.”

This week, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R), also an outspoken Obamacare critic, reportedly pulled his request for funds under the law’s Community First Choice program, the same one Perry is considering for his state, complaining that the Obama administration was not willing to be flexible.

“You can’t rail against the Affordable Care Act at every opportunity and then clandestinely, selectively apply for different pieces of funding for it,” Moriba Karamoko, who runs the Louisiana Consumer Healthcare Coalition, told Politico.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...e-medicaid.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kentucky is geared up with their health exchanges. They are now informing residents of how to get access to health insurance. They market their Obamacare state exchange under the Kynect name. The following reported encounter with a Kentuckian shows the dangers of being misinformed.

A middle-aged man in a red golf shirt shuffles up to a small folding table with gold trim, in a booth adorned with a flotilla of helium balloons, where government workers at the Kentucky State Fair are hawking the virtues of Kynect, the state’s health benefit exchange established by Obamacare.

The man is impressed. "This beats Obamacare I hope," he mutters to one of the workers.

“Do I burst his bubble?” wonders Reina Diaz-Dempsey, overseeing the operation. She doesn't. If he signs up, it's a win-win, whether he knows he's been ensnared by Obamacare or not.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...e?detail=email

Rand Paul's KY! red-state ignorance, per par

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obamacare critic Rick Perry seeks cash from law

Gov. Rick Perry wants to kill Obamacare dead, but Texas health officials are in talks with the Obama administration about accepting an estimated $100 million available through the health law to care for the elderly and disabled, POLITICO has learned.
    Perry health aides are negotiating with the Obama administration on the terms of an optional Obamacare program that would allow Texas to claim stepped-up Medicaid funding for the care of people with disabilities.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...are-95727.html
    and...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono: What's your opinion on the article you posted?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono: What's your opinion on the article you posted?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I didn't see a reply about Texans paying federal taxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps because I never opined that they're not en led to the money?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono: then what's your point? Your comment, I agree with but doesn't seem to go very well with the OP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What part doesn't go well with the OP? We just had Perry campaigning as a GOP candidate running exactly on that kind of stuff...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas pays towars all the red-states that are mooching/taking Fed $$ more than they send.

that explains the benefits, but not the taxes paid to the Feds.

taxes on personal income, earned and unearned, corporate income, mineral royalties, fuel, etc?
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-25-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ lol in boutons' map the le says it's plotting the ratio of taxes paid to benefits received when it's really the reciprocal of that being plotted.

So is TPM another thinkprogress lol?

Thread Information