My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Thinking Shaq "needed" that D-League caliber scrub

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan age 37.

18 points 10 rebounds and 3 blocks per game in just over 30 minutes, per 36 of 21.3, 11.9 and 3.2. Had the 6th highest PER in the league, was the best player on a team that was a missed 3pt shot, an offensive rebound a made ft or another made ft away from winning it all. But yeah, "role player".... And even up until 2015 which was his second to last season, he was still the spurs best postseason player.
    Last edited by TD4THREE; 06-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, fair point as I just said responding to amchang.

The problem with your examples are they don't fit your argument. Both Robinson and Ewing had a couple to a handful of seasons of better statistics than Hakeem. Not entire careers. Hakeem has better overall stats than either. If you want to go season by season, sure each had a few better seasons. Just not overall. And that's why we evaluate entire careers, not just 2 or 3 or 5 isolated seasons.

Shaq is interesting and has a more arguable point especially because of sheer dominance scoring the ball. But the rest of his game doesn't reall stack up, particularly on the defensive end. Really good assist guy and good but not all time great rebounder. An average defender considering his size and athletically ability, especially earlier in his career.

So while I do and already have conceded the point about pace adjusted statistical production, your examples are left wanting.
    Hakeem and Robinson career stats are virtually identical across the board. With as you said Robinson having better peak years. Similar case with Ewing. I use them as examples because during their careers many considered them to be equal or above Hakeem, then he won back to back championships and the comparisons pretty much ended.

Winning matters..You can say all you want about it being a team accomplishment, but look at the players who people unanimously consider top 10 MJ,Bird,Magic,Kobe,Duncan, Shaq, Russell, Kareem, etc. All of them won big throughout their careers, they didn't spend the majority of their careers barely getting their team over .500 and getting dumped in the first round, which is why I think Hakeem is behind all of them.

Thread Information