Page 98 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 3333
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Why spend $20M on a player who won’t help you win?
    2. Why spend $20M on a player who WILL help you win?
    If Collin Sexton ups his game and is on a decent salary he becomes a valuable trade piece

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs were a Sexton away from winning, it could make sense. But they aren't. Especially if/when they trade Poeltl and Richardson, they'll be losing games. But they could use a guy who already knows how to score to give structure to their offense. Sexton had his best year in the season that led to Cleveland getting Mobley. We're talking about whether to spend just as much if not more cap taking back a negative player for the best pick the Spurs could get. They could do that, OR they could use some of that on a guy they should be able to trade or who's probably going to at least be more valuable than the first they're going to get with their cap space otherwise. It's just good asset management. Worrying after the possibility of the Spurs being good due to the young guard they locked into a four-year deal would be like worrying they'll be too good because one of the guys they drafted ends up being an impact player. If that's really the downside of all this, the Spurs are in a great position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spending on Sexton with the intention of trading him.

Plus, taking away minutes and development from Primo / Wesley.

A ty idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Collin Sexton ups his game and is on a decent salary he becomes a valuable trade piece
    And helps us win, which we supposedly don’t want to?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs were a Sexton away from winning, it could make sense. But they aren't. Especially if/when they trade Poeltl and Richardson, they'll be losing games. But they could use a guy who already knows how to score to give structure to their offense. Sexton had his best year in the season that led to Cleveland getting Mobley. We're talking about whether to spend just as much if not more cap taking back a negative player for the best pick the Spurs could get. They could do that, OR they could use some of that on a guy they should be able to trade or who's probably going to at least be more valuable than the first they're going to get with their cap space otherwise. It's just good asset management. Worrying after the possibility of the Spurs being good due to the young guard they locked into a four-year deal would be like worrying they'll be too good because one of the guys they drafted ends up being an impact player. If that's really the downside of all this, the Spurs are in a great position.
    He is coming back from a knee injury. You are stuck with him for a year and a half at least. That is two trade deadlines and and two off-season to get assets for capspace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what makes sense rather than watching the cap space do nothing. Also, he might become the guard we want for the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can't even see the whole jersey and I already hate them. Looks like more low-effort "culture" crap from the FO per usual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what makes sense rather than watching the cap space do nothing. Also, he might become the guard we want for the future.
    You people have the patience of a gnat. We're not even out of July yet, and training camp isn't until September.

Sexton is worse on defense than Forbes. Worse than Forbes. Let that sink in.

There
    is
    no
    hurry
    to
    fill
    the
    cap
    space
    other
    than
    in
    your
    mind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't even know how to embed an image, old man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't even know how to embed an image, old man.
    haha so true I was legit thinking that as I was chirping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a rush to use cap space. The NBA cap doesn't roll over, so space is necessarily ephemeral. There are multiple ways of turning it into assets. One is to take bad money. Another is to turn it into good money. In the Spurs case, they can do both. Unless you're confident that the Spurs need all of their net cap space -- which is basically only necessary for Westbrook, they have the matching salary available to do any other deal discussed here. I would argue that a smaller trade plus Sexton could easily be more valuable than one big trade, or more likely a small trade and floor payments to other players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a rush to use cap space. The NBA cap doesn't roll over, so space is necessarily ephemeral. There are multiple ways of turning it into assets. One is to take bad money. Another is to turn it into good money. In the Spurs case, they can do both. Unless you're confident that the Spurs need all of their net cap space -- which is basically only necessary for Westbrook, they have the matching salary available to do any other deal discussed here. I would argue that a smaller trade plus Sexton could easily be more valuable than one big trade, or more likely a small trade and floor payments to other players.
    They could literally hold the cap space until the next draft, and be a cap player then. It doesn't expire until 30 June 2023.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could literally hold the cap space until the next draft, and be a cap player then. It doesn't expire until 30 June 2023.
    And they could hold onto cap space believing there's no rush, bypassing decent opportunities, only to have nothing good during draft night. Sometimes the first opportunity is best, and not putting all your chips into the basket of hoping the best options are available at the end really helps.

Again, unless you can establish that the Spurs need to use cap all of their cap space in a later move, you aren't actually arguing against using some of it on Sexton or any other smaller/mid-sized transaction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rasta spur I too am intrigued with Facundo as a low key PG pick up for SATX. Is this even feasible?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap space isn’t a binary black and white issue. They can use some on someone like Sexton (not sold that it should be him, but as a straw man) and still have enough space to absorb salary / facilitate something later in the season or before the start of FA next year.

You don’t need to hold the entire amount for a Westbrook facilitation. Spurs can send a small amount out, and trades can add teams in order to grow total number to make matching easier.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be at least a bit tempted to try to steal Sexton on a team-friendly but still expensive deal. Something like $80M/4 but with only the first year guaranteed. Then the second year could be guaranteed after the next draft, and the third year and fourth-year player option could be guaranteed the draft after that. So Sexton sucks or the team needs cap space, he can be cut with no future cap implications, but they also get a second year to look at him/trade him if he doesn't suck. I'm not a person who thinks the Spurs need a PG, but I do think they're a team that could use an offensive guard for a year or two
    Since you agree that they need someone who can credibly create offense, I presume the not needing a PG comment is more so semantics, especially since Sexton is a PG sized SG anyway.

I agree that the possible reward (as you said, giving the offense some structure without being impactful enough to have an adverse effect on the tank and resale value) for bringing him in as a relatively low cost stopgap would outweigh the risk (a selfish gunner, who'd be without a long term guarantee, on a no name bottom feeder could be combustible).

Apparently they have no interest though and that structure more than likely wouldn't get it done anyway.

rasta spur I too am intrigued with Facundo as a low key PG pick up for SATX. Is this even feasible?
    Not only is it, but the most likely outcome is probably signing someone like him or trading for someone like Joseph (Langford?).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Helps us gather unprotected draft picks. We help make him better, then he indirectly helps our draft in future yrs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Helps us gather unprotected draft picks. We help make him better, then he indirectly helps our draft in future yrs.
    How does he help us gather unprotected picks? If he could pull that in a trade, Cleveland would be swamped with offers.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should Spurs fans be cheering for Boston to break the bank trading for KD? I would think yes, as it would imply a shorter window due to KD’s age and mercurial nature. But I’m trying to remember when that trade kicks in…2025? Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should Spurs fans be cheering for Boston to break the bank trading for KD? I would think yes, as it would imply a shorter window due to KD’s age and mercurial nature. But I’m trying to remember when that trade kicks in…2025? Thoughts?
    The pick swap is in 2028.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the lakers insist on their current posture re Brick, there really is no need to hold up doing smaller business.

, if that ESPN article about the Suns’ cavalier at ude toward draft picks is to believed, Spurs should be proactive about helping them get under the tax if it means a decent pick coming back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m highly skeptical anything with Russ gets done. The cost to get off him and get something back is two FRPs with little to no protection.

The Lakers are inclined to focus on health, especially AD and bringing defensive intensity. Darvin Ham is low key a great personality to coach that team. He is an out the mud, hard working, no BS type guy who will actually keep ppl accountable. If they can swing Kyrie for Russ and 2 FRPs than you have to consider it otherwise they are going into the season with this roster and if they look decent 20 games in will be able to add a buy out vet or two as the season progresses.

The Spurs should starts looking elsewhere for opportunities to use some of this space IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m highly skeptical anything with Russ gets done. The cost to get off him and get something back is two FRPs with little to no protection.

The Lakers are inclined to focus on health, especially AD and bringing defensive intensity. Darvin Ham is low key a great personality to coach that team. He is an out the mud, hard working, no BS type guy who will actually keep ppl accountable. If they can swing Kyrie for Russ and 2 FRPs than you have to consider it otherwise they are going into the season with this roster and if they look decent 20 games in will be able to add a buy out vet or two as the season progresses.

The Spurs should starts looking elsewhere for opportunities to use some of this space IMO.
    I wrote this long-ass post talking about how the Lakers would be better off just keeping Westgoob and letting his money drop off the books, and then I looked at their books.

As the inimitable Roseanne Roseannadanna said:
    Nevermind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wrote this long-ass post talking about how the Lakers would be better off just keeping Westgoob and letting his money drop off the books, and then I looked at their books.

As the inimitable Roseanne Roseannadanna said:
    Nevermind.
    I had to google who that was.

Their books are clean come 2023. They can easily re-sign LBJ (especially if he takes a paycut) and sign another max player.

Thread Information