Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Set up a Raspberry pi 3 with some SNES gamepads with retropie. Thing is awesome. I put like 150 games on it, i didn't want too many cluttering up the menu's. NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TG16 so far. I've been playing around with some settings and I've got the N64 working respectable so far. planning on overclocking it just a bit to smooth it out some more. I missed the era of N64, there was a lot of fun games on there. TBH most of the NES games are a 15 minute experience. I bought a lego case for it and my boys built some minion set for it. Lot of fun for us.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Set up a Raspberry pi 3 with some SNES gamepads with retropie. Thing is awesome. I put like 150 games on it, i didn't want too many cluttering up the menu's. NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TG16 so far. I've been playing around with some settings and I've got the N64 working respectable so far. planning on overclocking it just a bit to smooth it out some more. I missed the era of N64, there was a lot of fun games on there. TBH most of the NES games are a 15 minute experience. I bought a lego case for it and my boys built some minion set for it. Lot of fun for us.
    I was going to build one of these, but then I just decided to connect my gaming PC to the TV so I can play GTA V and Dark Souls on a bigscreen, so I just use the PC emulators. Only takes up about 350 times the space the Pi 3 does (next PC build I'm definitely going mini ITX). DarrinS had a thread here about RetroPIE a year or two ago, I know he built one of these too.

Man you gotta get MAME on that system. That plays every great arcade game I can think of from the 80s-90s: Galaga, Zaxxon, Pole Position, Double Dragon, Kung Fu Master, Shinobi, Gauntlet, Golden Axe, TMNT, UN Squadron, NBA Jam, Street Fighter 2, etc.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-26-2017 at 09:17 PM.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I never played hardly any arcade games. Too poor. Obviosly some of those games i have on the console part but is there a huge difference between golden axe genesis vs mame?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never played hardly any arcade games. Too poor. Obviosly some of those games i have on the console part but is there a huge difference between golden axe genesis vs mame?
    They're pretty similar. The graphics are a little better on the arcade than the Genesis. The sound should be much better on the arcade though. I remember Genesis not being great when it came to sound. Shinobi is night and day better on arcade than Master System, and Double Dragon is a completely different (and better in every way) game on arcade vs NES.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got a few pies

Yeah the retro pi is pretty cool. You can take it on the road and

Got a few other pies doing like playing music, reading news, weather , etc

Another vpn router pi

And now building a Tor gateway pi. Since Uncle sam decided to sell my info I say it Im going Dark

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emulators installed to a Fire Stick and a bluetooth controller FTW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emulators installed to a Fire Stick and a bluetooth controller FTW
    You talking about the XBone controller?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You talking about the XBone controller?
    Nah, I have an app at the moment

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    nvidia shield tv emulators and roms ftw the fire stick....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    39.99 > 199.99

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna build one soon with a pi 3. Sounds too awesome not to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    N64 emulation on RPi 2 is sketchy as . The RPi 3 should work.

There are a lot of good emulators for Android. So, the cheapo Fire tablet makes a good portable console (battery life sucks tho).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have suggestions for a good build for this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have suggestions for a good build for this?
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...a-rasberry-pi/

Probably check out the kits on Amazon linked on that site if you want a case, HDMI cable and power adapter. You also need a Micro SD card if you don't have one laying around. Then format the card on your comp with the utility on that site which also installs RetroPie.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    N64 still sketch on pi3. I have mine overclocked, doesn't make much of a differnce. MarioKart plays perfect so i got that going for me.

Since i've last talked to you guys I've discovered how awesome MAME is, plan on building either a bartop or more likely just the joystick box, two player with trackball and ports and controllers in compartments for players 3 and 4. Portable as , just hook up to power and tv.

Probaly plan on switching to HyperPi with an external HD at some point. Can't wait to golden tee it up. My kids love the retro arcade games since they can just toss another credit on there. Took them about $40 to beat metal slug.

Firestick blows ass for gaming. I tried a few years ago on a stick and abox. I used a generic android BT controller then borrowed an Amazon Fire controller. Laggy as all . I should have just bought a wired usb then for the fire tv but i didn't know any better. No way to hardwire anything to stick means no thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Pi 2 / Pi 3 emulate PS1 well? Man I remember there being really good PS1 emulators as far back as like 20 years ago. I could swear I have been playing MAME since 2000 or so also.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Pi 2 / Pi 3 emulate PS1 well? Man I remember there being really good PS1 emulators as far back as like 20 years ago. I could swear I have been playing MAME since 2000 or so also.
    Mine's a Pi 2 Plus or whatever the stop gap model was between the 2 and 3. It emulates everything up to the 64 really well, including 99% of the PS1 games I have on cards, which is about 45 games total. MGS runs pretty much flawless and I guess that and Gran Tourismo would be the best games to judge performance by.

I don't recommend it at all for the 64. 99% of all games lag, bug out to all or just don't work. Haven't bothered with the Saturn one since it doesn't come stock on the retro pi firmware, and there are only like two games I would even want to bother with, Astral and maybe Panzer Dragoon.

Haven't had the time to use it a long while, but I love using the PS3 generic remotes for it, easy to get them to work wireless, but on some of my cards, the wifi adapter didn't take, but got 10 ft charge cords from Monoprice for .75 each. Overall, if you want retrogaming on your main tv, and want from the ps1 and down, you can't find a cheaper, more reliable or customizable unit for the price of a Pi 2. You can save a few more bucks going with a 1 or a B, but I hear the difference between the 1 and 2 is worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mine's a Pi 2 Plus or whatever the stop gap model was between the 2 and 3. It emulates everything up to the 64 really well, including 99% of the PS1 games I have on cards, which is about 45 games total. MGS runs pretty much flawless and I guess that and Gran Tourismo would be the best games to judge performance by.

I don't recommend it at all for the 64. 99% of all games lag, bug out to all or just don't work. Haven't bothered with the Saturn one since it doesn't come stock on the retro pi firmware, and there are only like two games I would even want to bother with, Astral and maybe Panzer Dragoon.

Haven't had the time to use it a long while, but I love using the PS3 generic remotes for it, easy to get them to work wireless, but on some of my cards, the wifi adapter didn't take, but got 10 ft charge cords from Monoprice for .75 each. Overall, if you want retrogaming on your main tv, and want from the ps1 and down, you can't find a cheaper, more reliable or customizable unit for the price of a Pi 2. You can save a few more bucks going with a 1 or a B, but I hear the difference between the 1 and 2 is worth it.
    That sucks about the 64, but cool to hear everything from PS1 on down works well. Didn't Saturn just get cracked a year or so ago? I was surprised to read that system actually sold pretty well in Japan, maybe they got some good games we didn't. Because I remember Saturn being a dog in the US.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks about the 64, but cool to hear everything from PS1 on down works well. Didn't Saturn just get cracked a year or so ago? I was surprised to read that system actually sold pretty well in Japan, maybe they got some good games we didn't. Because I remember Saturn being a dog in the US.
    Yeah, we got our Saturn a year before the Dreamcast came out as we had already dogged out the first PS1 we had and we had already OD'd on 64 party games by that time. But yeah, the Saturn wasn't good here domestically. Crazy that if they had spent a little time making it easier for developers to use both processors, the Saturn had more power than the PS1, but it was a developing on it and there was no easy way to take advantage of the two 32 bit processors in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Used to have to hide my Playstation when I'd leave the house, living in Indian Creek

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to build one of these.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    N64 still sketch on pi3. I have mine overclocked, doesn't make much of a differnce. MarioKart plays perfect so i got that going for me.

Since i've last talked to you guys I've discovered how awesome MAME is, plan on building either a bartop or more likely just the joystick box, two player with trackball and ports and controllers in compartments for players 3 and 4. Portable as , just hook up to power and tv.

Probaly plan on switching to HyperPi with an external HD at some point. Can't wait to golden tee it up. My kids love the retro arcade games since they can just toss another credit on there. Took them about $40 to beat metal slug.

Firestick blows ass for gaming. I tried a few years ago on a stick and abox. I used a generic android BT controller then borrowed an Amazon Fire controller. Laggy as all . I should have just bought a wired usb then for the fire tv but i didn't know any better. No way to hardwire anything to stick means no thank you.

This guy put his Rpi inside the tankstick controller. I think it might get overheated in there.

I followed his other videos to configure the tankstick controller, which is a pain in the ass, btw. My plan is to eventually build a bartop arcade with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That tankstick controller is awesome for playing Robotron 2084.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Didn't want to tankstick because i want to build storage compartments for players 3 and 4 gamepad, need space for pi, plus a HD, storage for long HDMI, and also power cable. My pi is overclocked so i need to keep a fan on it, thought about putting a larger fan on the whole joystick box just becuase everything will get warm.

Plus i want the LED controls.

I just discovered that NBA hangtime is more fun than Jam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I'm finally going to order one of these kits off amazon today. I was really tempted to get an SNES Classic and then I figured well the first thing I'm going to do is hack that to put more games on. Then I thought well I'd like to play NES games on it too. Then I thought dumbass just make a RetroPie machine. I'll probably just buy the $50 kit on amazon with a Pi 3 model B, the two little heatsinks, power supply, and the clear cheap s . Not sure whether I want to use an 8Bitdo SNES30 wireless controller (seems to be really nice quality) or a Wii U Pro Controller though. I like the PS3 controller but I don't want to pay $40 used for one when I can just get the Wii U Pro Controller new for $50.

DarrinS, sickdsm, Chucho

A few quick questions for you guys who have done this:

* Can you configure everything through a bunch of XML files?
    * Have you gotten the Famicom Disk System up and running? I know that one you need to install a BIOS. The Japanese versions of Zelda and Metroid have much better music on FDS than on the NES.
    * If so, is there an easy way to flip the disk? Famicom floppy disks are two sides and games like Doki Doki Panic require you to flip the disk (it's great, it's what the US Super Mario 2 was based on).
    * Are multiple CD games a for PS1? Or is there an easy way to switch discs?
    * How is MAME compatibility? I know that'll probably be a to setup, MAME always has been.
    * There is no decent way to play Saturn, right?

I'm wanting to make one to play Atari 2600, Atari 5200, MAME, NES, Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Master System, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and PS1. I don't want to hook a keyboard up (except for initial config) so I probably won't worry about MSX, C64, Amiga, Atari ST, and DOS.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 10-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Thread Information