Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may call them "sentimental reasons", but I believe they are more than merely sentimental. "Cultural reasons", though much mocked and maligned by some posters on ST, seems like a better designation to me - definitely more value-laden than mere sentimentality. But whatever you wish to call the reasons, Pop is not trading Patty this year, for sure. You even pin-point the cultural abyss beyond Mills when you note that LMA would become our senior statesman after Manu and Patty. He is a beta who wanted a trade a season ago - definitely NOT any conduit of Spurs' winning culture.

And you may call White a combo-guard, but he is more like a modern PG. The bottom line, however, is that of the guards on our current roster, he is by far the best PG prospect. Murray doesn't have anything like White's passing ability, court vision or handles. He has to develop skills that White already has. Plus, he is unlikely to ever develop White's innate ability to see the floor. But by every indication White is the odd man out here.

I agree that Walker is a better long-term prospect than Anderson. But they were both supposedly lottery talents.
    -I never said Mills would be moved this season, if anything, Gasol is a far more likely candidate to be moved if the 3 situation is an issue and the Spurs need to get some help there (i.e DeMarre Carol).

- Aldridge asked for a trade because he was unhappy with his role, that isn't great, however, he went directly to Pop told him what he wanted. After Pop told him that it was in both PATFO's and his best interest to work it out, he and Pop worked things out and Aldrige proceeded to have the best season of his career and drag an untalented team to the 7th seed.

-White will be incorporated into the team, though it is weird that it is likely going to take him to year 3 until he actually becomes a rotation player, given how polished his game is already. White is certainly closer to a PG than Murray but Murray has higher upside, especially if his offseason work on his jumper translates. I still think Murray has is a better passer than he is given credit for but his handles could stand to be tighter. I suspect Murray and Walker is the backup of the future following the DeRozen era with White being the 3rd guard, playing with either and sometimes both.

-There is something to be said about lottery talent varying year to year, that 2014 draft wasn't nearly as good as it was hyped to be with only 1 all-star (Embidd), a few starters (Wiggins, Gordon, Radle, Saric, LaVine, Nurkic, Capella, and Jokic) Anderson would easily be in the top 10 in a redraft but overall that draft was a disappointing one. The '18 draft may very well be a more talented draft; thus, in theory, PATFO viewing Walker as a lottery talent -and their history of selecting players that overperform their draft spots, there is a decent chance that Walker out to be at least a starting a caliber guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are missing the point. Finally, culture helped the franchise to obtain the best possible value. Culture made an uncommitted player leave the team. In the meantime culture made the team win 47 games and be in the playoffs despite losing his best player for the entire season, battling many other injuries and problem by the way. Culture gave us the best of Duncan, Manu, Parker and the beautiful game. Culture brought 5 rings and transformed the Spurs in the best organisation in sport for 20 years (so far). Culture is bringing prospects, good professionals and the best coaches.

Thanks to the culture we are not today talking about wasting our season watching our team trying to lose as much possible in order to, in the best case scenario, create a team of the same level than current one in 4 years. You people not giving value to the Culture deserve 10 years rooting for the Kicks, the Kings or any other of those franchises sucking season after season.
    Culture is fine until you overvalue it. Turning away players with higher upsides and talent for lesser players that fit the system and culture is fine when you have top-tier players to carry them and create offense for them but when those players leave or retire, then it should force a reset or, at least, a reconsideration of those priorities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Culture is fine until you overvalue it. Turning away players with higher upsides and talent for lesser players that fit the system and culture is fine when you have top-tier players to carry them and create offense for them but when those players leave or retire, then it should force a reset or, at least, a reconsideration of those priorities.
    Or, you get top end talent that fits the culture.

it absolutely staggering how many Spurs “fans” have NFI what makes the team so successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, then I have others."

If you are not true to your values you have no iden y. Why do we love the San Antonio Spurs? What makes us follow the team? Championships only? To me, there is something else.

Only young/not experienced people doesn't value the culture. I don't blame them, live takes time to teach its lessons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the people saying this is a good deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta pay the wombat insurance.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be worse. Look at what Teague got, what Georgie will likely get this year, Allen Crabbe....

Happy Patty is staying tbh.
    Damn Mugen, times have changed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta pay the wombat insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12.5 mil for an above average 6th man (which is what Patty is) isn't terrible tbh. You already knowwhat he means to the team culture.

Hopefully it means PATFO are closer to moving away from TP tbh.
    “Culture”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The contract was bearable when Nephew was still around, always was a headscratcher. Now it’s just a full on disaster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this contract and the Gasol contract changed the franchise forever and a lot of Spurs fans knew it then and there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man don’t scare me like that by bumping this thread. All I see is spurs agreed and patty mills and my heart sank. then I realized it’s an old thread lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest question in retrospect is why did they sign Mills to a long term deal after drafting White, then a year later they let Parker walk in order to give White more minutes.

Two years in, he is already redundant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mugen with the banworthy comments. My dude was drinking the Kool-Aid back in ‘17.

Even using the organization's keywords and phrases non-sarcastically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The contract was bearable when Nephew was still around, always was a headscratcher. Now it’s just a full on disaster
    because Kawhi masked the shortcomings of the team? if yes, this contract was not bearable, it was just stupidity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because Kawhi masked the shortcomings of the team? if yes, this contract was not bearable, it was just stupidity
    I forgot this was the same week as the Gasol extension and signing an injured Rudy Gay. How do you do a meh offseason like this after basically dominating the Warriors when Kawhi was healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thing was Gasol actually played at a pretty acceptable level in 2017. He shot the ball very well and was effective in the Rockets series. He turned into trash right after tho

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thing was Gasol actually played at a pretty acceptable level in 2017. He shot the ball very well and was effective in the Rockets series. He turned into trash right after tho
    Because that never happens to guys in their upper 30s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh the Gasol is useful against Houston justification for his contract .

Been a while since I’ve heard that one

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still hurts tbh

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta love pop n rc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude you have to bump the thread at the first midnight of free agency period

Thread Information