Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Why did some burn on Suns ownership when all along they knew they could match and save 46 million bucks?
    They saved their 5th season salary, but the yearly savings on the first 4 years is 2 million.

I know it’s not my money, but to alienate and piss off and break trust in the middle of a legit le run knowing you would be willing to pay Max in RFA is such a stupid Sarver move.

Also, having Ayton signed to Max Extension would have made it easier to trade him thanks to RFA Base-Year Comp rules, making it much harder to use him to get Durant.

Sarver can’t get out of his own way sometimes, even when it’s obvious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They saved their 5th season salary, but the yearly savings on the first 4 years is 2 million.
    Got it.
    Didn't the Suns also Supermax extend Bookerdashian under virtually the same cir stances?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Got it.
    Didn't the Suns also Supermax extend Bookerdashian under virtually the same cir stances?
    Booker is All-NBA 1st team. You can debate that if you’d like, which is every fans right, but he averaged 25-5-5 on much better than League Average percentages from everywhere on the floor. He improved his A/TO ratio and ran facilitation duties to like .800 win percentage when Paul was out.

That got him SuperMax worthy, considering he’s 25, that’s a safe gamble he’ll earn it. He’s improved efficiency often through our career, and his usage isn’t high, so you can easily argue if his usage ever jumped to Top-10, he’s average 30-7-7, albeit on likely lesser efficiencies.

Ayton has a history of improving yearly. And he’s been quite dynamic in several of those areas. But he hasn’t reached anywhere close to those heights, even though his seasonal stats are All-Star quality, he hasn’t been named (and this will still be difficult due to Jokic, Davis, Towns, Gobert, Jackson Jr still out West. Must be nice being Bam whose numbers and metrics are very similar and get All-Star out East.

The main issue with Ayton’s max is usage. He will never be a high usage player in Monty’s 0.5 system or with Paul as a PG. He’s super-utility. But Suns can’t commit to developing Ayton while trying to win as many games as they can. And Paul is so efficient in what he does, it gives Suns their best option.

The other is “Flexibility” as signing Ayton to his 5-year Designated Player Max alongside Booker’s would disallow them from adding another via trade without including Ayton or Booker since a team can only have 2 for some stupid ing reason.

But the 4-year Max doesn’t add this roster limitation.

Anyways. Now I gotta hope he’s either traded to a better situation or Monty grows as a coach.

Ayton’s usage and minutes per have seen significant decline under Monty, despite his raw numbers and impact metrics improving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booker is All-NBA 1st team. You can debate that if you’d like, which is every fans right, but he averaged 25-5-5 on much better than League Average percentages from everywhere on the floor. He improved his A/TO ratio and ran facilitation duties to like .800 win percentage when Paul was out.

Now I gotta hope he’s either traded to a better situation or Monty grows as a coach.

Ayton’s usage and minutes per have seen significant decline under Monty, despite his raw numbers and impact metrics improving.
    Exactly. And Booker seems to have overcome the Kardashian Kurse.
    Wth Monty lowered Aytons usage is beyond me. Pretty sure CPO had a bad influence on that decision.

Popovich Tree Monty means you're gonna have to keep doing some serious hoping. Short of having the leagues best player ala Timmy Duncs, Prime Kwa Leonard, Greek Freak etc these guys just cannot strategize in big game. Krrrist Ime was pathetic in 2022 with the 2-1 lead and ahead by 5 with 5 minutes left in Game 4.

Why couldn't the Suns have simply floated word to Aytons agent in mid season that they were gonna sign him after the match? Corrupt NBA pulls so much other bull with their rigged trades etc. This would seem like standard operating procedure.

Ayton seems legit happy now. Pretty sure anyone should be with 150 million. FFS it's unreal what pro sports dollar amounts have come to.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Sarver is such a cheap petty , when he could have signed Ayton for 4/141 Max immediately following the season, he merely only QO’d him, and allowed the “market” to sign him to a lower 4/133 Max to save 8 million over 4 years on a 23-yo C who openly recruited the Suns to draft him, who has lived in Arizona since High School, and who you determined to match a max offer immediately.

So why risk any tension? Why fuel the bad blood and distrust through disrespect? Just give the kid the offer, say “hey, we know last offseason wasn’t ideal, and I know we had a few bumps in the playoffs, but you’re a HUGE part of our core, we value you, and we won’t let you escape. Here’s a 4-year Max that pays more to you than any other Max will this offseason.”

Nope.

“Go get some team to sign you to it, OBO…”

Sarver is such a ing tool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No surprise from the team that didn’t pick up Jalen Smith’s year 3 option. Penny ante operation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarver is such a cheap petty , when he could have signed Ayton for 4/141 Max immediately following the season, he merely only QO’d him, and allowed the “market” to sign him to a lower 4/133 Max to save 8 million over 4 years on a 23-yo C who openly recruited the Suns to draft him, who has lived in Arizona since High School, and who you determined to match a max offer immediately.

So why risk any tension? Why fuel the bad blood and distrust through disrespect? Just give the kid the offer, say “hey, we know last offseason wasn’t ideal, and I know we had a few bumps in the playoffs, but you’re a HUGE part of our core, we value you, and we won’t let you escape. Here’s a 4-year Max that pays more to you than any other Max will this offseason.”

Nope.

I thought Ayton could get a lot more money if the Suns signed him? I thought the difference is a lot bigger than 4/141 Vs 4/133. How does it work between resigning with your own team or with another team? How are the raises and years calculated? Since he wasn't an unrestricted free agent, does that make a big difference between what the Suns can offer compared to another team?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I thought Ayton could get a lot more money if the Suns signed him? I thought the difference is a lot bigger than 4/141 Vs 4/133. How does it work between resigning with your own team or with another team? How are the raises and years calculated? Since he wasn't an unrestricted free agent, does that make a big difference between what the Suns can offer compared to another team?
    If the Suns signed him to the 5 year Designated Max last offseason, it was like 5/177+

But they refused for the reasons I stated above (Sarver is a piece of /Flexability of DRM contracts).

They floated a rumor they talked to Ayton about the 4/140 max last offseason, but Ayton’s camp declined, which is bull because Ayton’s agent knew it was still the most anyone could offer due to 8% increases, not 5% increases.

The Suns didn’t offer it then, instead floating stories Sarver wasn’t certain Ayton was a max player. So Ayton had his best statistical season in his lowest MPG of his career and hits the offseason and again, isn’t offered the 4/140 Max, and is met with similar Sarver/Suns aren’t sure Ayton is a Max player. Ayton finds a team who says he is, Suns match the Max contract within 2 minutes of receiving the official offer sheet.

Sarver introduced distrust and animosity to a team coming off a Finals because of money. Like a ing chump.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count

Nope.

Facts

Stern would have the balls to Sterling him

No surprise that Suns struggled in postseason as soon as Lil Robby S brought his a-hole face back courtside

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Suns signed him to the 5 year Designated Max last offseason, it was like 5/177+

But they refused for the reasons I stated above (Sarver is a piece of /Flexability of DRM contracts).

They floated a rumor they talked to Ayton about the 4/140 max last offseason, but Ayton’s camp declined, which is bull because Ayton’s agent knew it was still the most anyone could offer due to 8% increases, not 5% increases.

The Suns didn’t offer it then, instead floating stories Sarver wasn’t certain Ayton was a max player. So Ayton had his best statistical season in his lowest MPG of his career and hits the offseason and again, isn’t offered the 4/140 Max, and is met with similar Sarver/Suns aren’t sure Ayton is a Max player. Ayton finds a team who says he is, Suns match the Max contract within 2 minutes of receiving the official offer sheet.

Sarver introduced distrust and animosity to a team coming off a Finals because of money. Like a ing chump.
    Ahh right, so another team such as Indiana can only offer 5% increases so that is where the difference comes from. I also didn't know the Suns could have given him 5 years, so they just didn't think he was worth it and/or wanted to offer anything like that. They were definitely being very cheap. Having said that, I'd be happy with the current contract he's on, but yeah, the Suns have some mending of the fences to do with the way they treated him.

By the way, even though I disliked the Suns during the 2000's due to being rivals, I would've liked to have seen you guys ring last season compared to anyone not named Milwaukee. I still really do not like Chris Paul (pretty much hate the guy due to the way he acted when the Spurs used to play against him in our contending years), but anyway, I wish you well this upcoming season.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Ahh right, so another team such as Indiana can only offer 5% increases so that is where the difference comes from. I also didn't know the Suns could have given him 5 years, so they just didn't think he was worth it and/or wanted to offer anything like that. They were definitely being very cheap. Having said that, I'd be happy with the current contract he's on, but yeah, the Suns have some mending of the fences to do with the way they treated him.

By the way, even though I disliked the Suns during the 2000's due to being rivals, I would've liked to have seen you guys ring last season compared to anyone not named Milwaukee. I still really do not like Chris Paul (pretty much hate the guy due to the way he acted when the Spurs used to play against him in our contending years), but anyway, I wish you well this upcoming season.
    Cool of you to say. Monty nice guy’d and allowed Bud to bully the refs into calling Bucks-slanted games for Giannis and it was more than the Suns could handle. They still had chances and Bucks simply were better, but Suns played just well enough to get beat when things got physical. Ayton couldn’t defend vertically, and Mikal was getting bent my a more physical Middleton or Jrue. Was such a weird time to see them up 2-0 and up after 1 in game 3, and up big in game 4, and then just fold like nothing mattered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool of you to say. Monty nice guy’d and allowed Bud to bully the refs into calling Bucks-slanted games for Giannis and it was more than the Suns could handle. They still had chances and Bucks simply were better, but Suns played just well enough to get beat when things got physical. Ayton couldn’t defend vertically, and Mikal was getting bent my a more physical Middleton or Jrue. Was such a weird time to see them up 2-0 and up after 1 in game 3, and up big in game 4, and then just fold like nothing mattered.
    If I look at it from the Suns side of the fence, you guys really could have won against the Spurs (Johnson was injured in 2005 & the suspensions in 2007 - there's no guarantee you would have won, but those two scenarios could have made a big difference), then also last year being up in the series, plus this year I thought you guys had a great chance and it just all went bad. I really didn't want Goldenstate, Miami, Boston, or any of those teams to win, but again, just didn't work out. Hopefully the Suns have better playoffs next season and a bit more luck.

Back to Ayton, do you think the relationship between himself, the team and the front office can be mended? I'd imagine the owners would be the harder one, then you got the coach, and then his teammates who might not be happy with him from the last game of the playoffs. I feel it's not going to be an ideal situation to start from for his return.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Ayton got real cryptic saying “I see now it’s all a business” which doesn’t feel like something you say if you trust people.

It feels like something you say after being stabbed in the back and betrayed complete with broken promises and having to prove worth rather than be valued.

So, jury is still out on mended relationships. Honestly, I don’t personally, but then, I’m a vengeful person and have walked away and never looked back after employment situations took me for granted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Facts

Stern would have the balls to Sterling him

No surprise that Suns struggled in postseason as soon as Lil Robby S brought his a-hole face back courtside
    Stern Sterlinged Sterling because he was a racist POS, not because he mismanaged his team. He had been doing that for decades.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Stern Sterlinged Sterling because he was a racist POS, not because he mismanaged his team. He had been doing that for decades.
    Pretty sure it was Silver that got Sterling thrown out, too.

Silver is conducting an investigation into Sarver, but I don’t hold out any hope.

For what it’s worth, Sarver’s son is super petty on Twitter blocking random critical Suns fans with both his and Suns official account. So, if a sale isn’t forced, Suns probably stuck with ownership for a long time.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Pretty sure it was Silver that got Sterling thrown out, too.

Silver is conducting an investigation into Sarver, but I don’t hold out any hope.

For what it’s worth, Sarver’s son is super petty on Twitter blocking random critical Suns fans with both his and Suns official account. So, if a sale isn’t forced, Suns probably stuck with ownership for a long time.
    Same reason I call Fer ta "Cajun Sarver"

Thread Information