Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get all the negativity. This offseason has been as good as I could have hoped for given the cir stances.

1. DeRozan, Mills & Gay (OUT) - I would have been happy for DDR to walk for nothing and the fact that we got something’s is a big win. DDR's game is simply too flawed otherwise there would have been other contenders trying to do a sign and trade.

2. Primo & Wieskamp (DRAFT) - 2 solid shooters with versatility. People wanted the Spurs to take a swing on an upside player so here you go. Just because it's not the player you wanted, don't complain about it now. I trust the Spurs talent evaluators and they have shown to find gems in most draft years. I'm pretty excited about Primo after reading and watching more videos about him as person and player.

3. McDermott (FA) - He is not going to move the needle on bringing us to contention so let's not overreact. He's there to space the floor and he's a good cutter and more importantly, he doesn't need the ball to be effective. Who cares about his age?? He's not a longterm solution and is there to be another outside threat so our younger guys can have more breathing room in the lane for drives.

4. Collins (FA) - I haven't been following collins but he was top 10 pick and he's a more modern big than what we currently have on the roster. The salary seems high based on the injury history but I assume the Spur did their due diligence. Could it go bad sure but again, taking a swing on a player they like is ok with me and he's only 23.

Finally, we just need one of these guys to get to an all star level for the Spurs to be back in business. I think it's almost a certainty that it will occur based on what I've seen. I remember the majority of the folks on here saying Leonard could never be a number 1 option offensively and were wrong in every way about his game. Therefore, be patient and trust the process. I think we'll know a lot more about this team this year without DDR & Mills dominating the ball.
    Agree on all points, finally some sense spoken

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get all the negativity. This offseason has been as good as I could have hoped for given the cir stances.

1. DeRozan, Mills & Gay (OUT) - I would have been happy for DDR to walk for nothing and the fact that we got something is a big win. DDR's game is simply too flawed otherwise there would have been other contenders trying to do a sign and trade.

2. Primo & Wieskamp (DRAFT) - 2 solid shooters with versatility. People wanted the Spurs to take a swing on an upside player so here you go. Just because it's not the player you wanted, don't complain about it now. I trust the Spurs talent evaluators and they have shown to find gems in most draft years. I'm pretty excited about Primo after reading and watching more videos about him as person and player.

3. McDermott (FA) - He is not going to move the needle on bringing us to contention so let's not overreact. He's there to space the floor and he's a good cutter and more importantly, he doesn't need the ball to be effective. Who cares about his age?? He's not a longterm solution and is there to be another outside threat so our younger guys can have more breathing room in the lane for drives.

4. Collins (FA) - I haven't been following collins but he was top 10 pick and he's a more modern big than what we currently have on the roster. The salary seems high based on the injury history but I assume the Spur did their due diligence. Could it go bad sure but again, taking a swing on a player they like is ok with me and he's only 23.

Finally, we just need one of these guys to get to an all star level for the Spurs to be back in business. I think it's almost a certainty that it will occur based on what I've seen. I remember the majority of the folks on here saying Leonard could never be a number 1 option offensively and were wrong in every way about his game. Therefore, be patient and trust the process. I think we'll know a lot more about this team this year without DDR & Mills dominating the ball.
    Signing J Collins would have been a disaster.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad to see Demar off the team. No Patty either. Two ball dominant players gone.

Good sign for Lonnie Walker's role .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Lamarcus Deal…wait.
    And Carrolll Deal…wait.
    And Mills Deal…wait.
    And Rudy Gay Deal…wait.
    The Carroll signing and rolling with Forbes was the last straw with me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost in the shuffle is the fact that this was a TERRIBLE trade by the Bulls. Really damn bad. They massively overpaid DeRozan when the market had dried up, traded away arguably their most impactful player last year in Thad Young AND traded away the final first round draft pick they can trade for a while. The second round picks are whatever but that's just an amazingly bad trade by Chicago. All for the upside of being like a 6th seed in the East.

It wasn't a great trade by the Spurs but what Chicago did was the worst move of the offseason so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost in the shuffle is the fact that this was a TERRIBLE trade by the Bulls. Really damn bad. They massively overpaid DeRozan when the market had dried up, traded away arguably their most impactful player last year in Thad Young AND traded away the final first round draft pick they can trade for a while. The second round picks are whatever but that's just an amazingly bad trade by Chicago. All for the upside of being like a 6th seed in the East.

It wasn't a great trade by the Spurs but what Chicago did was the worst move of the offseason so far.
    Which kind of begs the question is: Had CHI not done that, what would SA have done? But timvp, dont worry - CHI can just EASILY trade DeRozan if they need to.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the surface, spending all this cap space to come away with McDermott, Collins, Aminu and Young is disappointing, it’s nice that the DDR trade involves expiring contracts that will allow us to be flexible next year after giving the young core to grow and see where we’re headed. This was an incredibly weak FA class so it made sense to punt for next year.

With any luck, Young gets flipped at the deadline and we end up getting a high lottery pick from Chicago down the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Unlike the Spurs, Chicago is not afraid to tank though. If it doesn't work out, they'll start flipping DDR and anything of value for picks, win 6 games for a couple of seasons and see what the market looks like then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which kind of begs the question is: Had CHI not done that, what would SA have done?
    Probably sign a couple vets to one-year deals. But, instead, the Spurs essentially did that with Young and Aminu ... and got a first round pick that has about a 99% chance of conveying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In an ideal world, Thad Young becomes a leader to these kids, and fulfills his potential. He's a solid talent. It probably won't happen though, but hey, I rather watch him next season than DDR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the surface, spending all this cap space to come away with McDermott, Collins, Aminu and Young is disappointing, it’s nice that the DDR trade involves expiring contracts that will allow us to be flexible next year after giving the young core to grow and see where we’re headed. This was an incredibly weak FA class so it made sense to punt for next year.

With any luck, Young gets flipped at the deadline and we end up getting a high lottery pick from Chicago down the line.
    It's only disappointing if like most people here you haven't a ing clue about basketball. Every one of these moves is for the current talent on the team and moving forward. This site is so incredibly amateurish, so incredibly childish, it's hilarious to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike the Spurs, Chicago is not afraid to tank though. If it doesn't work out, they'll start flipping DDR and anything of value for picks, win 6 games for a couple of seasons and see what the market looks like then.
    Cool, Chicago is a good model to follow. Just look at what they'd do and do the opposite

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No first round picks homie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably sign a couple vets to one-year deals. But, instead, the Spurs essentially did that with Young and Aminu ... and got a first round pick that has about a 99% chance of conveying
    Just curious, why will the draft pick have a high chance of conveying?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing J Collins would have been a disaster.
    Thank god we got Zach instead you son of a , I'm in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In an ideal world, Thad Young becomes a leader to these kids, and fulfills his potential. He's a solid talent. It probably won't happen though, but hey, I rather watch him next season than DDR.
    I don't thing it's an ideal world. McDermott and Young can easily become veteran leaders in the locker room without disrupting the emerging leadership of the young players. By all accounts they are both highly professional and will regarded. Except the geniuses on this board seem to think that's a bad thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank god we got Zach instead you son of a , I'm in
    The way your moron piss your pants about that one.

What a bunch of clowns. This is the den of the stupidest, saddest, clown face Spurs fans on the planet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious, why will the draft pick have a high chance of conveying?
    The Bulls would have to finish bottom 10, bottom 8 and bottom 8 for three straight years for it to not convey. That's pretty damn unlikely. Especially because their core is young enough that they'll be around for 4 or 5 years.

The Hollinger article (the source of the picks conditions) doesn't even say it'd switch into a second round pick after that. For all we know, it could still be a first round pick after three unsuccessful conveys.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way your moron piss your pants about that one.

What a bunch of clowns. This is the den of the stupidest, saddest, clown face Spurs fans on the planet.
    Can you write that first sentence in English please? I can't tell if I'm in yet you son of a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago can afford to send out a G League team out there to win 6 games for the year. Spurs, as a small market, are not in the same position. If we had a owner with deep pockets then it wouldn't matter so much. But the Holts are not that well off, at least compared to other owners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. DeRozan, Mills & Gay (OUT) - I would have been happy for DDR to walk for nothing and the fact that we got something is a big win. DDR's game is simply too flawed otherwise there would have been other contenders trying to do a sign and trade.

1) Not really good. By many measurements, Gay or DeRozan were one of the best players on the team last year. ST is extremely toxic to the team's players, but the team losing its best player isn't a good thing, no matter how much this forum hated them.

2) Draft was fine. I agree. I don't think anyone can credibly say it was bad. There's a wait-and-see thing with Primo for sure. But it was fine and could be very good.

3) Not bad, but uncreative. The Spurs needed to blow up their roster -- not just the old parts. This signing is a major investment in the young players, and that's a bad direction to go. Rebuilding or reloading, they have to cull their flock, not just keep trying to force the knot to get tighter.

4) Horrible.

Overall a bad free agency period. I now basically have no faith in the Spurs to figure out their way through their valley they're in. There are more than two "lanes" they could be in, but they are picking a horrible one right now. Just doing the DeRozan trade and taking Favors would've been a far superior strategy, John Collins or no.

Still, there's still time for more trading. They have too many guaranteed contracts right now, and while they should be willing to have dead money if it means keeping the best guys, they shouldn't piss money away for no reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you write that first sentence in English please? I can't tell if I'm in yet you son of a .
    I don't give a about you or your beliefs.

But this pissing and moaning for giving a shot at a good player with a contact less than league average.

Like literally dude I don't care how stupid you are. You're just one of several dozen of the stupidest people I've seen in one place since the last Trump rally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool, Chicago is a good model to follow. Just look at what they'd do and do the opposite
    not saying it's a good model to follow, just that they're not afraid to tank. They got unlucky with Rose getting hurt, but they had something good going there, for example.

A more reasonable comeback is that they're in a bigger market, and so the comparison is a bit apples to oranges, and I would agree with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago can afford to send out a G League team out there to win 6 games for the year. Spurs, as a small market, are not in the same position. If we had a owner with deep pockets then it wouldn't matter so much. But the Holts are not that well off, at least compared to other owners.
    Agree with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Not really good. By many measurements, Gay or DeRozan were one of the best players on the team last year. ST is extremely toxic to the team's players, but the team losing its best player isn't a good thing, no matter how much this forum hated them.

2) Draft was fine. I agree. I don't think anyone can credibly say it was bad. There's a wait-and-see thing with Primo for sure. But it was fine and could be very good.

3) Not bad, but uncreative. The Spurs needed to blow up their roster -- not just the old parts. This signing is a major investment in the young players, and that's a bad direction to go. Rebuilding or reloading, they have to cull their flock, not just keep trying to force the knot to get tighter.

4) Horrible.

Overall a bad free agency period. I now basically have no faith in the Spurs to figure out their way through their valley they're in. There are more than two "lanes" they could be in, but they are picking a horrible one right now. Just doing the DeRozan trade and taking Favors would've been a far superior strategy, John Collins or no.

Still, there's still time for more trading. They have too many guaranteed contracts right now, and while they should be willing to have dead money if it means keeping the best guys, they shouldn't piss money away for no reason.
    Blowing up this team would have been remarkably dumb. They'd spend years just to get back to where they are now. Usually you're pretty bright, but blowing up and tanking is absolutely not the way to go. Instead they jettisoned their old vets and are retooling to let the youth grow into the players they could become.

Thread Information