Post Count

Matisse Thybulle

School: Washington
    Position: SG/SF
    Height: 6-foot-5
    Weight: 200
    Wingspan: 7-feet
    Draft Range: 20 to 40

Why: Freakishly disruptive defender. Long arms, fantastic anticipation and a good leaper. Averaged 3.5 steals and 2.2 blocks per game for Washington. Has shown potential as a shooter during his four years in college: 35.8% from three-point range on 7.5 attempts per 100 possessions and 78.2% at the free throw line. He's athletic enough to finish well in transition.

Why Not: Washington played a zone defense, so how his D will translate to the NBA is a major question mark. Limited offensive upside; his success on that end will depend on how well he can shoot the three. Averaged only 9.1 points in 31.1 minutes as a senior and shot only 30.5% on three-pointers. His lack of ball-handling and playmaking would translate better to SF but he's short for the position, doesn't rebound well and would need more bulk.

Spurs Fit: He'd have to be a full-time SF in San Antonio. Somewhat a plug-and-play prospect depending on how much the Spurs need defense next season.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Less Skilled Danny Green

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Less Skilled Keith Bogans

College Stats
    Highlight Video
    Tankathon Profile
    The Stepien Profile
    Last edited by timvp; 05-05-2019 at 09:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less skilled danny green?

Ouch.

Dannys only skill in the NBA is three pointing. If this dude is even less skilled..lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less skilled Danny Green? I think Green was drafted in the second round. Should the Spurs even use one of their picks on this guy?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys think of Charles Matthews for 2nd rnd?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/3hMuHZwwFe8

https://youtu.be/sK2_RzOJ7IA

I have compared him to a rich man's Garret Temple or a homeless man's Shane Battier

I don't think he's a starter, but I want him. I want guys I think can win possessions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol that looks awful. How's he the first guy you write about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle? A guy who, if he pans out on defense and gets on the floor, means you’re playing 4 on 5 on offense? Pass. And he’s a negative as a rebounder? Pass. Maybe if you’re a dynamic team on offense with two players like Lillard and McCollum you could afford a player like Thybulle and hope his defense isn’t a mirage created in a zone defense. Pass. Spurs have way above average perimeter defensive players in Murray and White with Walker also having good potential. Thybulle is the last Spurs need to spend resources on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd round pick, but I prefer project big for 49th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want a 3&D guy who could fall to 19 (although likely won't) you might try Keldon Johnson of Kentucky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more shrimps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/3hMuHZwwFe8

https://youtu.be/sK2_RzOJ7IA

I have compared him to a rich man's Garret Temple or a homeless man's Shane Battier

I don't think he's a starter, but I want him. I want guys I think can win possessions.
    I would take Garrett Temple. He is old now but if this guy can be even better than what Temple has been he is worth a look if value makes sense.

Edit: Now looking at the videos. This guy looks like a beast defensively. Could totally see his d translating. Haven't seen his offense but he looks every bit the part of Andre Roberson but a little shorter but looks like he has a better build and mentality and defensive instincts over Roberson. I would take him for sure if he was available for the 2nd 1st round pick probably.
    Last edited by SpursDynasty85; 05-04-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass pass pass, we have enough guard and if they trot out a 6-5 player to play small forward or even small ball 4 I going to puke. I can just see it nw, pop rolling out mills, belli, this scrub with Davis at center.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good podcast on Thybulle and zone defenses on The Red Team Draft Podcast episode 19.

And a write up

https://www.redteamscouting.com/matisse-thybulle
    Last edited by picnroll; 05-04-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass pass pass, we have enough guard and if they trot out a 6-5 player to play small forward or even small ball 4 I going to puke. I can just see it nw, pop rolling out mills, belli, this scrub with Davis at center.......
    Right, because the warriors haven’t won three championships with a 6’6” center.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys think of Charles Matthews for 2nd rnd?
    We think that would be better discussed in a thread led Charles Matthews -- 2019 NBA Draft Prospect

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We think that would be better discussed in a thread led Charles Matthews -- 2019 NBA Draft Prospect

Do we really need to create thread for each player draft prospect?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we really need to create thread for each player draft prospect?
    That's usually the idea when you are making threads for each player draft prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle? A guy who, if he pans out on defense and gets on the floor, means you’re playing 4 on 5 on offense? Pass. And he’s a negative as a rebounder? Pass. Maybe if you’re a dynamic team on offense with two players like Lillard and McCollum you could afford a player like Thybulle and hope his defense isn’t a mirage created in a zone defense. Pass. Spurs have way above average perimeter defensive players in Murray and White with Walker also having good potential. Thybulle is the last Spurs need to spend resources on.
    Exactly. I just do not see why posters covet this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are making a mistake if they think the Spurs need someone to play the three. They don't. They need someone who would have been a three five or six years ago and would now be a solid four. Two of Forbes/Murray/White/Walker will start with DeRozan, and two of them will be on the bench with Mills and Beli. DeRozan will be the small-forward for the foreseeable future unless Pop can find a three who can shoot like Forbes can. They need a guy who can play with those three guards and Aldridge, and that dude can't be 6-5, even with long arms. Maybe at 29 if the team picks up that needed forward at 19 and believes they can sign another with the MLE. Thybulle doesn't solve any problems Murray won't already take of though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adam Hanga clone

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are making a mistake if they think the Spurs need someone to play the three. They don't. They need someone who would have been a three five or six years ago and would now be a solid four. Two of Forbes/Murray/White/Walker will start with DeRozan, and two of them will be on the bench with Mills and Beli. DeRozan will be the small-forward for the foreseeable future unless Pop can find a three who can shoot like Forbes can. They need a guy who can play with those three guards and Aldridge, and that dude can't be 6-5, even with long arms. Maybe at 29 if the team picks up that needed forward at 19 and believes they can sign another with the MLE. Thybulle doesn't solve any problems Murray won't already take of though.
    i agree with you, that's why for me we could add an inside guy who can be a good pf/c and play alognside Aldridge or Poetl. Your definition is more a SF/PF combo i think ? or a small PF ala Brandon Clarke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we had an early 2nd round pick, he'd be my target.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree with you, that's why for me we could add an inside guy who can be a good pf/c and play alognside Aldridge or Poetl. Your definition is more a SF/PF combo i think ? or a small PF ala Brandon Clarke.
    Yeah, I'm not looking for that combo-forward in the 6-8/6-9 range. Rudy Gay's frame is pretty ideal, but dude is too slow to guard on the perimeter, and it's not like he was every a really good defender. I don't think LMA is going to be able to play PF much longer, so getting a seven-footer to play next to him wouldn't be my priority. I think it's a need, especially if that player can play next to bigs against most teams, so I wouldn't be against drafting a mobile center prospect. But I'm looking at Aldridge and Poeltl both as fives, so just bringing over Milutinov or signing a cheap vet fills that role for me. They can always sign yet another two-way guy to be their emergency center depth like they have the past two seasons.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take him at 29 depending whos left on board. I think he's going around 20-24 though

Thread Information