Post Count
    bowens replacment?

and hes a bad free throw shooter

perfect for the spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's obviously the ideal fit, but very unlikely..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We talked about him a few years ago and a big group of us wanted to go after him. That's back when he could have been had for less than the MLE. Now? It's probably too late and he's no longer a buy low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Don't know if the Spurs have the bullets to get him. He seems to love being a Laker. Have to see how the Lakers do this year. The Lakers are well into luxury tax so it is going to cost them double to sign Ariza.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mas uno.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another thing you have to look at..

IF the Lakers don't get him back, somebody will find a way to overpay for him..we can't do that..

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think he's from out west, and the Lakers will likely find a way to pay him. Developing range behind the arc this season makes it even harder to swallow how perfect he'd be here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs can get him, YEAH . The Lakers can most likely only keep one of either Odom or Ariza, and Odom was money in the series against Utah...so who will the Lakers choose if they have to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign Ariza full MLE (yikes) then trade for a big from a team looking to salary dump.

Trade Big/Duncan/Ariza/Manu/TP

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ariza is from Los Angeles, went to school in Los Angeles, and now starts for the le favorite in Los Angeles who will almost certainly outbid any Spurs offer. The Spurs have absolutely no angle to even pitch to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ariza is from Los Angeles, went to school in Los Angeles, and now starts for the le favorite in Los Angeles who will almost certainly outbid any Spurs offer. The Spurs have absolutely no angle to even pitch to him.
    That might not be true, although I agree largely with it. The only chance (albeit a slim one) is for the Lakers to have match a full MLE offer.

If that is the case, the Lakers are already at 74 million with only 9 players on the books. That is with Shannon Brown, LO and Ariza needing to be re-signed. If the Lakers have to match it would almost cost them 11 million per year to resign Ariza for at least the next 2 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs should make an offer just to screw with the lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That might not be true, although I agree largely with it. The only chance (albeit a slim one) is for the Lakers to have match a full MLE offer.

If that is the case, the Lakers are already at 74 million with only 9 players on the books. That is with Shannon Brown, LO and Ariza needing to be re-signed. If the Lakers have to match it would almost cost them 11 million per year to resign Ariza for at least the next 2 years.
    Good point. $74 million in this economy is going to be hard for LA to swallow, and they might be forced to let one of Odom and Ariza walk. I don't see anyone taking Walton or Vujacic off their hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , with the way he played, it would be lovely if they let Shannon Brown walk.

D.I.R.T.Y. till we die manufor3's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if they had to choose, they would pick ariza over odom. he fits better and is cheaper. only way the lakers can keep both is if they get ariza for 5-6 a year and odom takes a pay cut to 8-10 per year. we'll see if odom is about rings or money because hes made over 80 mil so far in his career

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Ariza, but there is absolutely no way he ends up on the Spurs. Just think about the series of events that would have to take place for it to happen.

1. Ariza must not receive an offer in excess of the MLE from a team with cap space.

2. Spurs must clear enough space under the lux tax to make a full MLE offer.

3. Spurs must be willing to spend the entire MLE on Ariza

4. Lakers must refuse to make a comparable offer.

5. Even if you get this far, Ariza would have to prefer an MLE offer from the Spurs over an MLE offer from every other NBA team that may think he is worth the MLE. If Boston, Miami, or Dallas offer the same deal, what are the chances that he chooses the Spurs?

Its like drawing to an inside straight and, even if you hit it, the other guy already has a flush.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Pipe dream. It wouldn't hurt to give a call but I think the Spurs would be better at looking elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if they had to choose, they would pick ariza over odom. he fits better and is cheaper. only way the lakers can keep both is if they get ariza for 5-6 a year and odom takes a pay cut to 8-10 per year. we'll see if odom is about rings or money because hes made over 80 mil so far in his career
    You do realize that if what you say is true (Ariza for 5-6, Odom for 8-10), it will cost the Lakers 10-11M for Ariza and 16-20M for Odom per year for at least the next 2 years. Yikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Odom's only chance to get $8-$10 million this season is to go to Detroit / use them to leverage it out of LA. This is not a seller's market at all this summer with everyone hoarding capspace for 2010. Memphis obviously isn't going to make a big offer to Odom if they were tired of paying Gasol; Atlanta has tons of talented forwards, so throw them out; same with Oklahoma City; Toronto might go after him, but Marion is probably a higher priority for them.

No other team can likely offer Odom anything more than about $7 million starting. It looks like it will be between LA and Detroit. Even Portland looks stuck in that boat unless the salary cap goes up this summer.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I hope he stays a Laker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is great. I am so jealous of the Lakers that they have him.

It would be great to get him, but i think we have a 0.00001% chance of getting him. Someone will offer him a lot. And he will take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we can get him for the MLE but I think he'll stay in LA

Good point. $74 million in this economy is going to be hard for LA to swallow, and they might be forced to let one of Odom and Ariza walk. I don't see anyone taking Walton or Vujacic off their hands.
    Don't forget the Memphis Grizzlies is still in the league. They may trade their 1st round pick for Walton and Vujacic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But if a team like Memphis offered about 6 or 6.5 million I think he might take that.
    seriously that memphis team is going nowhere and wont be competing for a championship anyway, why waste 6-6.5m on ariza.....what the grizz need is a true franchise player to lead them there, which they dont even have. They got most of the pieces already in place.....

Thread Information