Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If I remember correctly, we traded for him for Stack who was a dog at that point. Salary dump type trade. Nobody talked about it at the time.

And I do recall wondering myself about Shawn as he failed miserably in 2010 in our series vs you guys. So his 2011 playoffs sorta shocked me. Did not think he had it in him.

Smart signing by Cuban in 09 though. Where was brilliant PATFO on that one?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I remember correctly, we traded for him for Stack who was a dog at that point. Salary dump type trade. Nobody talked about it at the time.

And I do recall wondering myself about Shawn as he failed miserably in 2010 in our series vs you guys. So his 2011 playoffs sorta shocked me. Did not think he had it in him.
    Video said it was a signing in 09. He was apparently a free agent. Spurs could've used a guy like Marion with Robert Horry having been cut. Spurs were probably risk averse given what it looks like he made:

https://hoopshype.com/player/shawn-marion/salary/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Jason Terry?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No / No

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Carmelo Anthony is going into the HOF, then honestly who cares from there.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What about Jason Terry?
    Outscored Lebron the GOAT in the 2011 finals

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'd take Horry over Melo if I had to select one for the Hall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outscored Lebron the GOAT in the 2011 finals
    Dude had like 9 threes or something stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iggy won FMVP tho
    Iggy was a franchise player in Philly for many years too... Marion though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Melo at least has like 2 gold medals and a bronze, IIRC (and I hate everything about Melo)... Considering it's not the NBA-only HoF, there's some argument there.

But there's really none for these two.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Melo at least has like 2 gold medals and a bronze, IIRC (and I hate everything about Melo)... Considering it's not the NBA-only HoF, there's some argument there.

But there's really none for these two.
    Those are glorified exhibition games for US players.

And frankly, anything short of gold is embarrassing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They were until they lost... again and again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't Marion in the 2004 Olympic team that got Bronze with TD?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were until they lost... again and again...
    The US is beatable, and the other teams have improved. But it's still a pretty hollow achievement for a US player, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marion and Jamison were never superstar caliber, much less HOF, which IMO is a tier above superstar (superstar = not just 20ppg, but relied upon singularly by the team to get them buckets in crunch time, and make the playoffs because of the guy/made the teammates better). If you put every fringe all star in the HOF you might as well make it hall of all star game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Horry over Melo if I had to select one for the Hall.
    No way, Melo took his Syracuse team to the NCAA championship and won, and was a key player on the Redeem Team. Melo was also a clear superstar, and no way the Thuggets make the playoffs when they did without him. Horry was clutch, that's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The olympics back in those days was actually really compe ive. Manu's Argie team had many NBA level players. That's in addition to other good teams like Spain (prime Pau Gasol), Russia (AK47), Germany (prime Dirk), all them baltic countries with their shooters. It was arguably peak international ball in the mid-late 2000s due to the Spurs drafting Euros and opening peoples eyes to talent there / Euro kids being influenced by all the stars who came from there and playing basketball in their youth.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If we're putting Robert Horry in, may as well put in any feel good name that hit a few big shots. Let Steve Kerr and Derek Fisher in too while we're at it, imo. Danny Green had that one big NBA Finals game, I say we make room for him too

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Didn't those Nugz team also have a Finals MVP on it?

No way, Melo took his Syracuse team to the NCAA championship and won, and was a key player on the Redeem Team. Melo was also a clear superstar, and no way the Thuggets make the playoffs when they did without him. Horry was clutch, that's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Bill Simmons at the start of this vid.

I'll take Marion over guys like Carmelo who will be inducted. But come on, really?

Antawn Jamison; don't get me started.

If that's the bar, we got to start talking about Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, Danny Manning, Danny Ainge, Terry Porter, etc.

BTW, Reggie Lewis should be in the HOF. Not his fault he dieded (Well, technically it is; but still).

This is so stupid. Simmons is letting his own biases go in the way again. He has been shown to be a huge mid-00s Suns fans (and Spurs hater) and try to rewrite history.

Manu, Metta World Peace, AK47, Lamar Odom, Rip were all better. Elton Brand was as good if not better, Then there is Andre Miller, Franchise (crazy), Baron Davis (fat and hurt), and turtlehead.

And knocking Brand for not making the all-star team when the other PF in the west were Duncan, Garnett and Weber, I mean, who else should have made it? Even MVPau had to wait.

Then he is trying to throw Duncan under the bus by suggesting Elton Brand should make all-nba 1st over him. This guy is just clouded by his own biases.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The olympics back in those days was actually really compe ive. Manu's Argie team had many NBA level players. That's in addition to other good teams like Spain (prime Pau Gasol), Russia (AK47), Germany (prime Dirk), all them baltic countries with their shooters. It was arguably peak international ball in the mid-late 2000s due to the Spurs drafting Euros and opening peoples eyes to talent there / Euro kids being influenced by all the stars who came from there and playing basketball in their youth.
    No offense to the Argies or any of them; they won because we weren't sending anywhere near our best for the most part. Also a nonsense foul call on a screen by Duncan to foul out him out didn't hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't those Nugz team also have a Finals MVP on it?
    B-b-b-b-b-b billups only has a finals mvp bc that detroit team didn't have a true superstar. TBH it was a team award, split between Big Ben, Rasheed, Rip and Chauncey. Tayshaun in the Bowen role a close 2nd.

No way Thuggets win anything with washed Bullpups as their leader.

AI OTOH is awesome, but was also semi washed by the time he made it to Denver.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    B-b-b-b-b-b billups only has a finals mvp bc that detroit team didn't have a true superstar. TBH it was a team award, split between Big Ben, Rasheed, Rip and Chauncey. Tayshaun in the Bowen role a close 2nd.

No way Thuggets win anything with washed Bullpups as their leader.

AI OTOH is awesome, but was also semi washed by the time he made it to Denver.
    Billups was clutch and that was his locker room

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billups was clutch and that was his locker room

Honestly, I think he probably missed that so bad that it just banked in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billups was a good floor leader who kept things going, for the most part. He was guilty of shrinking in some big moments but that Pistons team played great basketball.

Thread Information