Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet when these kids hear their name called when the spurs pick them they’re just saying to themselves “well ”.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop starting 23-year-old Trey Lyles while 40-year-old proven veteran DeMarre Carroll gets DNP-CDs.

Why doesn't Pop play young players

Pop is the best coach of all-time in terms of integrating young talent. Not even close, tbh. Sure, there's still plenty to complain about but his resume in this regard tops any other coach who has had prolonged success.
    Had to play Timmy...DRob was breaking down and Timmy was the number 1 pick and looked like an all time great out the gate...

Had to play Tony...otherwise it was going to be Terry Porter...

Had to play Manu...Steve Smith was old...Devin Brown was erratic...and Stephen jackson couldn't play 48 minutes a game...bonus points for trying to neuter manu game...lucky for us manu had the balls to keep playing basketball the way pop didn't want him to...

Had to play Kawhi...Danny was the only other perimeter defender we had on the team...

Had to play Dejounte...Parker was at the end of his career AND suffered a devastating injury...

Had to play Derrick White last year...Dejounte got hurt and Derozan was new to the team...

Had to play Forbes last year...Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie got hurt...Forbes was all that was left...

Had to play Lonnie...oh wait he actually hasn't played Lonnie...because pop only ever plays young players when he doesn't have a choice...and he has the option of playing mills and marco in front of him...so that is what he is doing...

Pop's overrall body of work? No doubt an all time great...over the last 3 years? Been pretty severely outcoached by just about everybody...

Who do you think is the worst coach in the nba? Then ask yourself if that coach was up 10 would he put a lineup of 3 of his 4 worst defenders on the floor? Cause that is exactly what Pop did and that is exactly why this was a 2 point game instead of a blowout...

Beckywiththegoodplays can't grab the wheel soon enough...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had to play Timmy...DRob was breaking down and Timmy was the number 1 pick and looked like an all time great out the gate...

Had to play Manu...Steve Smith was old...Devin Brown was erratic...and Stephen jackson couldn't play 48 minutes a game...bonus points for trying to neuter manu game...lucky for us manu had the balls to keep playing basketball the way pop didn't want him to...

Had to play Kawhi...Danny was the only other perimeter defender we had on the team...

Had to play Dejounte...Parker was at the end of his career AND suffered a devastating injury...

Had to play Derrick White last year...Dejounte got hurt and Derozan was new to the team...

Had to play Forbes last year...Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie got hurt...Forbes was all that was left...

Had to play Lonnie...oh wait he actually hasn't played Lonnie...because pop only ever plays young players when he doesn't have a choice...and he has the option of playing mills and marco in front of him...so that is what he is doing...

Pop's overrall body of work? No doubt an all time great...over the last 3 years? Been pretty severely outcoached by just about everybody...

Who do you think is the worst coach in the nba? Then ask yourself if that coach was up 10 would he put a lineup of 3 of his 4 worst defenders on the floor? Cause that is exactly what Pop did and that is exactly why this was a 2 point game instead of a blowout...

Your takes belong in your handle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, doesn't Lyles playing over Carroll complete invalidate your entire (stupid) argument?

Only bad teams just gift young players minutes which obviously isn't Pop's style for better or worse.

Also, I want to see Lonnie supplant Marco and/or Patty too, yet I realize there is 80 games left and plenty of time for him to show out and take their minutes away.

Nah, instead I can overreact and cry like a like all the trolls and fake "fans" on ST.
    I'm obviously exaggerating but we all know that Pop has a history of leaving the superior young player on the bench while playing the worse veteran

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the difference between people who watch the game and people who think they watch the game. You're the later. Murray was guarding Beal. Mills was guarding Isiah. If Mill's doesn't switch, Beal is wide open for the win. Great decision by Mills, and later Murray recovered to contest the drive.

MILLS SHOULD NOT BE IN ANY FINAL DEFENSIVE STAND... it doesn't matter who he guards, he will get cooked... They will either switch to get Mills on their best player (which they did and it worked... Beal passed him like no one was there) or whoever mills is guarding initially will cook him themselves (like Isiah was doing)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi played right from the start. Pop will play these guys if he thinks they are ready.
    Kawhi played because there wasn't anyone that could take his minutes that year... Additionally that was 2012...pop wasn't fully senile yet... This pop wouldn't have thought Luka Doncic was ready, sadly... U really thought pop would have given Luka the green light that the mavs did last year? Nevertheless play him? The first wild stepback Luka did, he would have been sitting on the bench for weeks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird to argue this on a night when we got lit up by a motivated Bert, a hero mode Beal and a typical outside performance from Ish Smith. We needed every last veteran play and that’s what we got to squeak out a win. If we played random young scrubs major minutes we lose this game by 10 and Bert drops 30.
    On a night then their rookie torched us....is they had that mentality u have, they would have benched him and they would have been blown out by 20...what exactly do we have to lose? We aren't NEAR being a contending team... Let our young kids develop so by time we get the trash gone, we have a good framework of talent Saminic was drafted in the same range as many breakout stars like Kawhi and Giannis... Yet he won't get consistent minutes this year... He may not even play... What exactly are we afraid of missing out on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White saw significant minutes in his second year, you are just a hater!
    He was planted on the bench until everyone was injured... Nice try

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic would not have been buried on the bench.

He'd still be Europe like Milutinov.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this stage of recent NBA history, are we going to question how Popovich and the Spurs develope young talent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MILLS SHOULD NOT BE IN ANY FINAL DEFENSIVE STAND... it doesn't matter who he guards, he will get cooked... They will either switch to get Mills on their best player (which they did and it worked... Beal passed him like no one was there) or whoever mills is guarding initially will cook him themselves (like Isiah was doing)
    There was no one else to put in to check Isiah. Not Forbes and not Walker. Mills made the correct switch, took away the 3 and force Beal go inside. Who would you prefer in this situation?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was no one else to put in to check Isiah. Not Forbes and not Walker. Mills made the correct switch, took away the 3 and force Beal go inside. Who would you prefer in this situation?
    I think we all know beli is the next kawhi

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    At this stage of recent NBA history, are we going to question how Popovich and the Spurs develope young talent?

kvetchers gotta kvetch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The guys who do sit in front of their parents’ basement TV playing 2K all day and think young players magically become good, and you can play nothing but young players.

Pop’s success with Murray and White ... yes understand they’re each playing limited minutes right now but remember compe ion and it’s a long season ... should be enough of a sign he can develop late picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many posters on here have to call you out for this ty thread you created? You don't know what the you're talking about. Move on and start another stupid, ing thread.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes PATFO is well known for their inability to develop players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only teams that have the luxury of benching promising young players are championship caliber teams that don't want to mess up their chemistry...

We aren't NEAR that... Why do we bench our young guys?
    Because they want to win now enough to stay viable in small, spoiled market.

Look at the empty prime-level seats every night. It's like a morgue.

Wtf do we have to lose?
    See the above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guys who do sit in front of their parents’ basement TV playing 2K all day and think young players magically become good, and you can play nothing but young players.

Pop’s success with Murray and White ... yes understand they’re each playing limited minutes right now but remember compe ion and it’s a long season ... should be enough of a sign he can develop late picks.
    If spurs drafted Jokic and Pop took three years to give him real minutes, yall would say that's a sign that he is great at developing players... When the reality is that he was holding them back from reaching their peak sooner... Murray this year... A lot of these guys would have had wasted years here if they were drafted by the Spurs... U really think pop would have had the wizards' rookie in a regular rotation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many posters on here have to call you out for this ty thread you created? You don't know what the you're talking about. Move on and start another stupid, ing thread.
    I pointed out a fact... U had nothing to reply with... White was benched until everyone was injured... That's a fact

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Aren't you just giving context to their decisions? Not actually debunking them at all.

Cir stances dictate when/or how someone is integrated into the rotation. Especially, with a team with such prolonged success.

No, we'll go with your thinking have guys perpetually flounder here like in Phoenix, Atlanta, New Orleans, New York, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He averaged over 27minutes in the playoffs, more than Gay, Mills and Beli, you are just a clown or a fake account.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bc spurs must be in playoffs to keep pops streak, i said this before its a big problem of this organization. We dont draft top picks, dont give minutes to young players, dont trade for young guys (best assets we have ever had- kawhi was traded for old ty ddr but not for f.e ingram ball and hart). Spurs are still in the same place, not moving forward. Hope we miss PO this year and pop retire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "they'll play when they're over themselves"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bc spurs must be in playoffs to keep pops streak, i said this before its a big problem of this organization. We dont draft top picks, dont give minutes to young players, dont trade for young guys (best assets we have ever had- kawhi was traded for old ty ddr but not for f.e ingram ball and hart). Spurs are still in the same place, not moving forward. Hope we miss PO this year and pop retire.
    How do you propose to accomplish this without tanking? It's fine if you want to tank but you didn't say that. It's funny that ball is trash, Ingram has a heart problem, and we got poertle and Keldon with ddr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is wrong coach to be developing the talented trio.

Thread Information