Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure they only paid him $50k.
    "Strus had a $415K guarantee on his deal, meaning he is ineligible to join the Celtics’ G League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws."
    https://nesn.com/2019/10/javonte-gre...ver-max-strus/

And the report from when they converted his 2-way: "Boston guaranteed Max Strus $415K. The amount is equal to what the guard would have earned on a Two-Way (salary+ days of service). Second year has an end of June trigger date."

Both could be wrong, I suppose.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "Strus had a $415K guarantee on his deal, meaning he is ineligible to join the Celtics’ G League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws."
    https://nesn.com/2019/10/javonte-gre...ver-max-strus/

And the report from when they converted his 2-way: "Boston guaranteed Max Strus $415K. The amount is equal to what the guard would have earned on a Two-Way (salary+ days of service). Second year has an end of June trigger date."

Both could be wrong, I suppose.
    Yep, the source I read got the numbers confused or I read it wrong. If the guarantee is over $50K, then he can't be picked up by the Red Claws. He's pretty much a lock to go into the G-League draft now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, the source I read got the numbers confused or I read it wrong. If the guarantee is over $50K, then he can't be picked up by the Red Claws. He's pretty much a lock to go into the G-League draft now.

Well I watched him in college, and I liked his stroke. And it always looked to me like he lets them fly with a lot of confidence. But I obviously thought more of him than the NBA scouts, and they have a lot more access. I really thought he was going to make a roster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I watched him in college, and I liked his stroke. And it always looked to me like he lets them fly with a lot of confidence. But I obviously thought more of him than the NBA scouts, and they have a lot more access. I really thought he was going to make a roster.
    Any perspective on Strus vs. Daulton Hommes? They seem kind of duplicative (if the Spurs were to pick up Strus), but I don't follow the college games at all.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Since he's got that money in the bank it should be easy for him to play in the g league for most of the season, at least through the showcase. He could even sit out the draft and choose when to enter the player pool to get the team of his choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don't think that's important to this squad, in particular, I get it. You'd rather have an athletic body for practice than a shooter. We'll see if you still feel that way after a few losses where the Spurs get ruined by the 3P differential.
    Myself, I'd rather have 5 shooters on the court for 48 minutes and win games even if it makes for ugly basketball, so that's not the issue.
    I simply don't believe that PATFO would cut a guaranteed contract to sign a (potentially good) shooter out of college. Just that.
    Hey, I want Beli to play 30 minutes, just because he usually can make shots when needed....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since he's got that money in the bank it should be easy for him to play in the g league for most of the season, at least through the showcase. He could even sit out the draft and choose when to enter the player pool to get the team of his choice.

I love the G-League, because it gives guys a chance to keep playing. (I know you follow the G-League a lot more than me (or most others), so you may see it differently - but a guy like Strus who isn't an athletic freak of nature, and isn't there on an NBA assignment, has a harder time of standing out enough. (I see it sort of like the way the high-flyers dominate the AS game. A lot of good players just fade into the background.) And 10-day callups in the middle of a busy season are a pretty narrow window to try and slip through.

My biggest interest in Strus was because I saw such a glaring need in SA for 3P shooters, especially after they lost Bertans. That, and I didn't think his defense could be much worse than several of the guys already on the roster - so that would be a wash at worst. To me he looked like a natural fit here at this exact point in time. I honestly thought he could be a better-Belinelli. But the truth is, defense is a big part of the reason Javonte Green got the Celtics' last roster spot. I really thought Strus would be able to show a little bit better on that end than he did.

Honestly, having a guy who comes in during garbage time or against deep bench units and hits 2-3 quick 3-pointers isn't going to solve the Spurs problems. If he can't defend well enough to get some floor time with their top 6-7 players and create some spacing there, it's just a few extra points here and there. And knowing all that, I think I'd still rather have him on this roster than Metu. Small ball has proliferated to the point that we're having actual discussions about DDR as a power forward. And Metu shoots worse than even Ben Wallace used to, without any of the plusses. I've pretty much given up hope of Metu getting significantly better. I think there's at least a possibility that Strus could.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 10-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I simply don't believe that PATFO would cut a guaranteed contract to sign a (potentially good) shooter out of college.
    I didn't think they would ever trade Paul George either, and look how that turned out.

No, I understand what you're saying. You're looking at PATFO tendencies and reality. But remember Livio a couple of years ago. Everyone was certain that the Spurs were going to keep him around, because they had given him that contract. I know it's not 100% the same, but the basics are there. The Spurs must think there's still a glimmer of hope for Metu. But look at him in comparison to even someone like Ian Mahinmi - even after the knee problems. I think Metu is a really nice guy, but I don't see much there other than the fact that he's tall.

LOL. I keep listing to myself and thinking, "Well if you're so damn smart, why aren't you on the Spurs' payroll?" But I don't see how the Spurs are going to be more than first round fodder averaging 23 3-point attempts per game.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I love the G-League, because it gives guys a chance to keep playing. (I know you follow the G-League a lot more than me (or most others), so you may see it differently - but a guy like Strus who isn't an athletic freak of nature, and isn't there on an NBA assignment, has a harder time of standing out enough. (I see it sort of like the way the high-flyers dominate the AS game. A lot of good players just fade into the background.) And 10-day callups in the middle of a busy season are a pretty narrow window to try and slip through.

My biggest interest in Strus was because I saw such a glaring need in SA for 3P shooters, especially after they lost Bertans. That, and I didn't think his defense could be much worse than several of the guys already on the roster - so that would be a wash at worst. To me he looked like a natural fit here at this exact point in time. I honestly thought he could be a better-Belinelli. But the truth is, defense is a big part of the reason Javonte Green got the Celtics' last roster spot. I really thought Strus would be able to show a little bit better on that end than he did.

Honestly, having a guy who comes in during garbage time or against deep bench units and hits 2-3 quick 3-pointers isn't going to solve the Spurs problems. If he can't defend well enough to get some floor time with their top 6-7 players and create some spacing there, it's just a few extra points here and there. And knowing all that, I think I'd still rather have him on this roster than Metu. Small ball has proliferated to the point that we're having actual discussions about DDR as a power forward. And Metu shoots worse than even Ben Wallace used to, without any of the plusses. I've pretty much given up hope of Metu getting significantly better. I think there's at least a possibility that Strus could.
    If he stays in the G-League we can see what happens. Jarell Eddie got his chance after one solid and 1/4 insane season of mainly just shooting threes. He ended up in Spain but not until he had stints with four NBA teams.

Seth Curry took a similar route and he stuck. Shooters do get opportunities, but they have to be exceptional.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't build the ing roster. But I know that the only place Metu can play center is in the G-League. Everybody here screams about how he isn't even an NBA player, but you would rather hang onto him instead of a guy who we know can shoot from distance on a min contract?

Last year the Spurs took the fewest 3's in the league - 25.3 per game. People here whined like schoolgirls all season about it. This preseason, they've averaged 22.6 3PA per game. Their 3-pointers made were down from 9.9 last season to 9.0 this preseason. Maybe somebody will step up when the regular season starts. But if they don't, and the Rockets have double the number of made 3's per game this season, and Metu is glued to the bench, neither of you better say a damn word.

BTW - pretty sure I remember you saying that Metu would never be more than a 4th big, and that 5th would be success for him. You don't believe he'll get minutes on this team, you just like to argue.
    At blowing a gasket because I exposed the fact that you apparently lack a shred of common sense.

I'd rather have enough bodies to fill each position than have a player who'd be buried.

Unless you think Aldridge and Poeltl will both be available for every game, Metu (and Eubanks) will play some by default this season.

This nobody isn't usurping Forbes, Mills or Belinelli and if/when they're not available, he's not usurping Walker or Lyles (with Carroll sliding back down a position).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans would be starting right now. Just a reminder.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The 2019-2020 agendas are crystallizing nicely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he stays in the G-League we can see what happens. Jarell Eddie got his chance after one solid and 1/4 insane season of mainly just shooting threes. He ended up in Spain but not until he had stints with four NBA teams.

Seth Curry took a similar route and he stuck. Shooters do get opportunities, but they have to be exceptional.

The Bulls immediately gave Strus a 2-way contract. He played his first game for the Windy City Bulls tonight.

23 points on 8-16 shooting. 5-11 from 3P. 5 RB, 3 AST, and a steal - with no TO's. Yeah, it's the G-League, and it's just one game. And it doesn't help the Spurs. I still think they made a mistake not putting him in silver and black.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strus with 29 points last night, 4 boards, 4 AST, 2 STL, and a block. 9-19 shooting and 5-10 from 3P. He's averaging .423 from 3P so far, on 8.7 3PA per game. Plus getting 1.3 blocks per game.

I know it's G-League, but I'd take him over Beli right now and never look back. Undrafted - all it would have taken was a 2-way to get him.

Thread Information