Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    haven't read thru the thread and i'm not going to but DAF was a bigger believer than almost everyone.

people are given way too little credit for contrarian views. but that's spurstalk.
    Last edited by gambit1990; 12-01-2020 at 02:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad part is Forbes landed a two 2 year/$4.8 mil contract from the team with the best record in the NBA and the Spurs lost him for nothing, while Bertans got a 5 year/$80 mil contract and the Spurs actually got less than nothing for him, taking back DeMarre Carroll, who barely played at all and was then bought out, resulting in him still being on the payroll while not even playing. That's a pretty terrible return for two reasonably appealing role players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how you never answered the question of whether Bertans would do worse than Forbes and Belinelli defending 2s and 3s

It's ok son, you don't need to respond, we all know the answer. Bertans should have got the minutes Forbes and Belinelli got but Pop ed up. It sucks because it would be Nice to still have Bertans, he would have complemented this young team perfectly but it what it is. I will let it go, in fact I had already done so, I just won't let you get away with saying bull like "Bertans doesn't play the 3 in Washington" or "Bertans can't play the 3 or 2 but Belinelli and Forbes can", tbh.
    Yes, he was a worse defender than Forbes or Belinelli on 2s and 3s.

I liked Davis, and I’m glad he got paid, but your paycheck doesn’t always reflect your ability. Teams like the Wiz have to overpay, because they suck every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad part is Forbes landed a two 2 year/$4.8 mil contract from the team with the best record in the NBA and the Spurs lost him for nothing, while Bertans got a 5 year/$80 mil contract and the Spurs actually got less than nothing for him, taking back DeMarre Carroll, who barely played at all and was then bought out, resulting in him still being on the payroll while not even playing. That's a pretty terrible return for two reasonably appealing role players.
    Forbes sucks! He’s the worst player in the history of awful players!

Why did we let him go for nothing?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always been a Betans fan but at the same time I'm not going to tell he was good on defense...the point is that Pop decided to use him (after he demostrate a sort of temper in some games) as a scapegoat anytime he made a mistake while Forbes (probably because of his good behavior) and Belli (probably because of his limited contribution to the le and previously during regular season games, in years past, when he was younger and a better player) were not yelled at...
    The poiny, imho, is that for multiple reasons Bertans, if not better at defense against smaller guys, was clearly with more offensive skills and if put in a situation to be used as a primary outside shooter could have been, in any case, an offensive weapon greatly superior to an old Belly and a midget guard like Forbes.
    That's his role with the Wizards...he simply has a green light for shooting (and its always been clear that he can shoot with wonderful percentages also from high distance, so, in any case, spreading the opposite defenses).
    In the "new" nba this skill is very valuable and in fact its been necessary just one season of green light for becoming an nba asset.
    Unfortunately, while that skill could have been extremely valuable in our new team (with young good people able to run the ball, penetrate the offense and then download the ball to outside shooters) is not that valuable in a team made of people like we were when the ball is managed at a slow rythm and in most cases on the hands of black holes on offense (like LMA, Gay and DDR).
    Franly, while he signed for maybe to much money, I don't think that his new contract would be an overpay in Washington if Wall (known for his high rythm and penetration capabilities) is back to a good level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, he was a worse defender than Forbes or Belinelli on 2s and 3s.

I liked Davis, and I’m glad he got paid, but your paycheck doesn’t always reflect your ability. Teams like the Wiz have to overpay, because they suck every year.
    How? can you provide an example, a reasoning, a metric to support this claim?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How? can you provide an example, a reasoning, a metric to support this claim?
    Any time he switched the PnR, he got toasted. Any.

Can you support your position?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes sucks! He’s the worst player in the history of awful players!

Why did we let him go for nothing?

People around here still wondering why PATFO can't just magically turn a pile of into a lump of gold

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any time he switched the PnR, he got toasted. Any.

Can you support your position?
    Yeah, besides the eye test, metrics indicate that Bertans is the much better defender. And don't come here trying to say "well, those numbers are playing the 4" because A) he played plenty of 3 and B) I would argue that playing exclusively the 3, his metrics would be even better.

And just think my friend: neither is a great one on one defender, but if you had to choose, who would you rather have defending the Kawhis, Durants, Lebrons, Klay Thompsons of this World. Forbes, Belinelli or Bertans? We all know all of them would get killed, but, heart to heart, who would get killed the least? The answer is Bertans. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this. There's no reason to keep shielding for Pop on this one. The three are out of the roster, it is done.

So, considering than Bertans would get killed the least on one-on-one defense, paired with the fact that he would also provide above average help defense, and culminating with the undeniable truth that he was by far the best offensive player of the three, there's just not a single reason to have had Forbes and Belinelli getting minutes over him all these years. None.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What ^ said!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, besides the eye test, metrics indicate that Bertans is the much better defender. And don't come here trying to say "well, those numbers are playing the 4" because A) he played plenty of 3 and B) I would argue that playing exclusively the 3, his metrics would be even better.

And just think my friend: neither is a great one on one defender, but if you had to choose, who would you rather have defending the Kawhis, Durants, Lebrons, Klay Thompsons of this World. Forbes, Belinelli or Bertans? We all know all of them would get killed, but, heart to heart, who would get killed the least? The answer is Bertans. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this. There's no reason to keep shielding for Pop on this one. The three are out of the roster, it is done.

So, considering than Bertans would get killed the least on one-on-one defense, paired with the fact that he would also provide above average help defense, and culminating with the undeniable truth that he was by far the best offensive player of the three, there's just not a single reason to have had Forbes and Belinelli getting minutes over him all these years. None.
    My bad. I saw your 2s and 3s, even retyped it, but my brain saw 1s and 2s.

They were all three bad defenders, and while I wish them well, I won’t miss any of the being blown by, or bullied in the post, on the regular.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me thinks Bertrans would have been useful last year over Carroll. And this year at a reasonable price. Poop is too stupid to find a way to use Davis though.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook might be very good for Bertans, assists for 3s and taking off some of the pressure to rebound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bertans was actually pretty good at defending Zach Randolph in the 2017 series against Memphis. He's just not a good perimeter defender, but he at least has length to be able to contest shots. When Forbes and Belinelli "guard" people it's like they ain't even there. People just shoot over or blow right past them

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Robert Horry would have been a max player in today’s NBA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is a unicorn
    Too wimpy though to guard strongman PF.
    David should have been a 2 or 3 or a 4 when the other teams 4 is a wimp.
    He was not put in position to succeed due to hard headed poop.
    COMPLETELY AGREE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was not put in position to succeed due to hard headed poop.
    That's been Pop's achilles hill for so many years now unfortunately. I swear Pop is just going through the motions in order to collect a paycheck, keep the reigns of power, and occupy his time at this stage in his career. I don't believe his heart is truly in it anymore and I think it's because the big3 was his heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many role players have stunk since leaving Spurs? Spurs missed the boat on this one by trading him away for nothing. It cost them, what one pick potential pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always been a Betans fan but at the same time I'm not going to tell he was good on defense...the point is that Pop decided to use him (after he demostrate a sort of temper in some games) as a scapegoat anytime he made a mistake while Forbes (probably because of his good behavior) and Belli (probably because of his limited contribution to the le and previously during regular season games, in years past, when he was younger and a better player) were not yelled at...
    The poiny, imho, is that for multiple reasons Bertans, if not better at defense against smaller guys, was clearly with more offensive skills and if put in a situation to be used as a primary outside shooter could have been, in any case, an offensive weapon greatly superior to an old Belly and a midget guard like Forbes.
    That's his role with the Wizards...he simply has a green light for shooting (and its always been clear that he can shoot with wonderful percentages also from high distance, so, in any case, spreading the opposite defenses).
    In the "new" nba this skill is very valuable and in fact its been necessary just one season of green light for becoming an nba asset.
    Unfortunately, while that skill could have been extremely valuable in our new team (with young good people able to run the ball, penetrate the offense and then download the ball to outside shooters) is not that valuable in a team made of people like we were when the ball is managed at a slow rythm and in most cases on the hands of black holes on offense (like LMA, Gay and DDR).
    Franly, while he signed for maybe to much money, I don't think that his new contract would be an overpay in Washington if Wall (known for his high rythm and penetration capabilities) is back to a good level.
    We gave up Bert for nothing it was talked about that Washington might trade him and that teams were interested and the asking price was a 1st round pick but they decided to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We gave up Bert for nothing it was talked about that Washington might trade him and that teams were interested and the asking price was a 1st round pick but they decided to keep him.
    Isn't that because the Spurs were looking to dump his salary to sign a better player - yes, the s bag Morris brother is better than Davis - while the Wizards helped increase his value by showcasing him on offense?

Davis was never going to be a featured offensive player on the Spurs & I'm just happy he ended up on a team that better utilizes his strengths while ignoring or living with his flaws (piss poor rebounding, minimal playmaking & below average defense).

Again, context is needed in this entire situation & not blanket statements without it.

Also Davis was originally a throw - in with Nephew on draft night, so one can argue that Davis has always been "undervalued."

Thankfully, he showed out in DC, got paid & I hope he can add a little more versatility to his game still (improved ball handling, playmaking or team defense).

Thread Information