Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to start this thread as a discussion space for the OTHER teams in the lottery since there is a lot of chatter about what they might do in other threads, and we have a vested interest in their movements. The goal here is to narrow in on what we think other teams might do, not really focus on the Spurs. Someone did some perusing around the internet to see what other team's fans were saying, and that context is helpful too if you want to add it.

Here is my initial take on where other teams are. Just going to focus on the Top 10 for now, but may add later. I'll also edit this original post as folks fill in details. I'm hoping to have a one-stop resource for Other Team's needs and strategies to help us build out our takes for what the Spurs should do.

Atlanta
    • Despite whatever rooting interest we have in the Hawks going forward and the Trae/DJM drama, I've got to say that the Hawks winning the lottery is one of the more exciting things that could have happened because it's just so out of the blue and it really shakes things up. So, kudos to the NBA writers for this plot twist.
    • It's almost a forgone conclusion they'll take Sarr because their C depth is a rapidly aging Capela and a 6'8" Onyeka Okongwu. Sarr seems to make a ton of sense. Could they fall in love with Clingan instead?
    • With that said, a SF like Risacher or Buzelis would make a lot of sense as well. I think either guy would slot nicely next to Jalen Johnson and give them a promising front court with length.
    • What does Atlanta do about Trae and DJM? Do they view this #1 pick as a true rebuilding opportunity or do they try to move one of these guys for a useful player as opposed to picks? Could that impact their draft strategy?
    • They have plenty of guard options (too many perhaps) so it seems it really comes down to wing and C
    • 5/20 Update: Hawks brass were in attendance to watch one of Risacher's best performances of the year. It seems highly likely they will choose between Sarr and Risacher.

Washington
    • They "need everything" in the way the Spurs (outside of Wemby) kind of do. No one is really good enough to be irreplaceable on this team
    • With that said, they have plent of wings: Deni, Kispert, Bilal, Kuzma. So that doesn't appear an option unless they want to move some other guys.
    • Center and PG are obvious choices... Do they view Clingan as good enough to take at 2? With Topic now hurt again, I really think Dilly is in play here whereas I thought he could slide all the way down to 8 before.
    • 5/20 Update: There is a possibility Sarr falls to them, but there are some question marks as to whether C would be their preferred direction. Would they view Risacher or Buzelis as a 4 and open room for them (especially if they move Kuzma)? Seems like Dilly and Topic are the primary targets... but maybe a dark horse landing spot for Sheppard?

Houston
    • If it weren't for the fact that we all hate the Rockets, I would find this another fun wrinkle to this draft. I'm fascinated by them at 3 because they don't have any obvious holes.
    • I assume they view their SL as FVV (for now), Green, Brooks, Jabari, Sengun. Amen could slot in for FVV or Brooks.
    • Whitmore and Eason are nice SF/PF guys on their bench... would they dare disrupt things by going Risacher or Matas?
    • Fans want Reed Sheppard, that seems like a fit if Amen moves into the SL for Brooks as a point forward
    • I feel like they are in a really great spot to consolidate some young players and this pick and go make a big move though. Seems up Ainge's alley for Lauri (ugh, I would hate this) or maybe they go back to Bridges or even look at a Khris Middleton.
    • 5/20 Update: Feels like Dillingham is picking up some momentum in the rumor mill/think tanks. I have a hard time seeing them take Sarr (if available) or Clingan. A Top 3 pick for a backup C seems rich, and I don't see Sarr or Sengun as PFs.

Detroit
    • Poor bas s.
    • Seems like big wing is the obvious choice here, and if Risacher, Matas or maybe even Cody Williams is there they have to take them. The have plenty of young, talented guards, and Ausar at SF and Isaiah Stewart at PF. Steward isn't good enough to worry about displacing.
    • Duren looks solid, but is this maybe a sneaky Clingan destination?
    • Really tough spot for Detroit to land in if someone grabs Risacher and the Spurs love Matas. I don't see Holland as fit. Salaun here in maybe a surprise jump?
    • Really feel like this is worst case scenario for Detroit, who needs to pray that one of Risacher or Matas is left
    • 5/20 update: Connections to Matas as surfacing.

Charlotte
    • This team is so irrelevant I forgot about them
    • PG and SF are locked up, but besides that who knows. I feel like they'll resign Bridges, as I don't know that there will be any other homes for him
    • Is Mark Williams THE GUY? Maybe Clingan here?
    • Castle makes a ton of sense, I assume they'll do that but we just found out today that Castle is a lot smaller than expected. Certainly not Knecht, right?
    • 5/20 Update: Castle saying he will refuse to workout for teams with a starting PG in place and that he views himself as a PG. This was the popular landing spot for him... I think Clingan and Sheppard make sense as potential backup options. Buzelis as a PF here maybe? I do think they'll resign Bridges.

Portland
    • rascal promised me they'd get the #1 pick and draft Sarr. Oh well.
    • Guard looks set, but do they move Simons? Grant and Ayton on paper is a decent front court, but could this maybe be another Clingan spot? If not here, maybe Missi or Flip with their #14 pick?
    • This is maybe the biggest mystery to me. I don't appear to have obvious holes, but they also suck ass. Hard to evaluate
    • 5/20 Update: ​Seems like the floor for Holland

Memphis
    • I think this is Clingan's floor and god I hope someone else gets him first, because he's such a great fit here
    • Other than that, they have the luxury of just going BPA and setting up for next year. Knecht here maybe?

Utah
    • Need to caveat that they have the assets to move up anywhere they want, and that is dangerous

• Another BPA kind of situation? Another team where it is hard to pinpoint a glaring hole but it's not like they are good, so who knows?
    Last edited by scott; 1 Week Ago at 05:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a report a few weeks ago that said an anonymous Assistant GM would draft Topic if they had the #1 pick. I looked up some teams who have assistant GM’s and noticed that Washington has one. Washington was so going to draft Topic with their #2, and tbh I feel there’s a chance they still will if they were so in love with him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to start this thread as a discussion space for the OTHER teams in the lottery since there is a lot of chatter about what they might do in other threads, and we have a vested interest in their movements. The goal here is to narrow in on what we think other teams might do, not really focus on the Spurs. Someone did some perusing around the internet to see what other team's fans were saying, and that context is helpful too if you want to add it.

Here is my initial take on where other teams are. Just going to focus on the Top 10 for now, but may add later. I'll also edit this original post as folks fill in details. I'm hoping to have a one-stop resource for Other Team's needs and strategies to help us build out our takes for what the Spurs should do.

Atlanta
    • Despite whatever rooting interest we have in the Hawks going forward and the Trae/DJM drama, I've got to say that the Hawks winning the lottery is one of the more exciting things that could have happened because it's just so out of the blue and it really shakes things up. So, kudos to the NBA writers for this plot twist.
    • It's almost a forgone conclusion they'll take Sarr because their C depth is a rapidly aging Capela and a 6'8" Onyeka Okongwu. Sarr seems to make a ton of sense. Could they fall in love with Clingan instead?
    • With that said, a SF like Risacher or Buzelis would make a lot of sense as well. I think either guy would slot nicely next to Jalen Johnson and give them a promising front court with length.
    • What does Atlanta do about Trae and DJM? Do they view this #1 pick as a true rebuilding opportunity or do they try to move one of these guys for a useful player as opposed to picks? Could that impact their draft strategy?
    • They have plenty of guard options (too many perhaps) so it seems it really comes down to wing and C

Washington
    • They "need everything" in the way the Spurs (outside of Wemby) kind of do. No one is really good enough to be irreplaceable on this team
    • With that said, they have plent of wings: Deni, Kispert, Bilal, Kuzma. So that doesn't appear an option unless they want to move some other guys.
    • Center and PG are obvious choices... Do they view Clingan as good enough to take at 2? With Topic now hurt again, I really think Dilly is in play here whereas I thought he could slide all the way down to 8 before.

Houston
    • If it weren't for the fact that we all hate the Rockets, I would find this another fun wrinkle to this draft. I'm fascinated by them at 3 because they don't have any obvious holes.
    • I assume they view their SL as FVV (for now), Green, Brooks, Jabari, Sengun. Amen could slot in for FVV or Brooks.
    • Whitmore and Eason are nice SF/PF guys on their bench... would they dare disrupt things by going Risacher or Matas?
    • Fans want Reed Sheppard, that seems like a fit if Amen moves into the SL for Brooks as a point forward
    • I feel like they are in a really great spot to consolidate some young players and this pick and go make a big move though. Seems up Ainge's alley for Lauri (ugh, I would hate this) or maybe they go back to Bridges or even look at a Khris Middleton.

Detroit
    • Poor bas s.
    • Seems like big wing is the obvious choice here, and if Risacher, Matas or maybe even Cody Williams is there they have to take them. The have plenty of young, talented guards, and Ausar at SF and Isaiah Stewart at PF. Steward isn't good enough to worry about displacing.
    • Duren looks solid, but is this maybe a sneaky Clingan destination?
    • Really tough spot for Detroit to land in if someone grabs Risacher and the Spurs love Matas. I don't see Holland as fit. Salaun here in maybe a surprise jump?
    • Really feel like this is worst case scenario for Detroit, who needs to pray that one of Risacher or Matas is left

Charlotte
    • This team is so irrelevant I forgot about them
    • PG and SF are locked up, but besides that who knows. I feel like they'll resign Bridges, as I don't know that there will be any other homes for him
    • Is Mark Williams THE GUY? Maybe Clingan here?
    • Castle makes a ton of sense, I assume they'll do that but we just found out today that Castle is a lot smaller than expected. Certainly not Knecht, right?

Portland
    • rascal promised me they'd get the #1 pick and draft Sarr. Oh well.
    • Guard looks set, but do they move Simons? Grant and Ayton on paper is a decent front court, but could this maybe be another Clingan spot? If not here, maybe Missi or Flip with their #14 pick?
    • This is maybe the biggest mystery to me. I don't appear to have obvious holes, but they also suck ass. Hard to evaluate

Memphis
    • I think this is Clingan's floor and god I hope someone else gets him first, because he's such a great fit here
    • Other than that, they have the luxury of just going BPA and setting up for next year. Knecht here maybe?

Utah
    • Need to caveat that they have the assets to move up anywhere they want, and that is dangerous

• Another BPA kind of situation? Another team where it is hard to pinpoint a glaring hole but it's not like they are good, so who knows?
    The one's ahead of us are what I'm focused on so far, although that'll change shortly I'm sure.

Atlanta- i think they're forced to trade the pick or trade Trae. I don't think we're going to want him and it'll suck for them, but i think they just bite the bullet.

Washington- I wouldn't be stunned if they took another wing and move off a couple of they guys on the roster. Deni would be of interest to me of he becomes available. If they take a guard (Dilly), they'll still move at least one of their wings.

Houston- I agree that Utah is the team to watch here with Lauri. If they don't do a dral then Shephard is their guy.

So, both PG's that are healthy will be off the board when it gets to us. Im not disappointed because Matas + Knecht, Holland, or Williams isn't a bad outcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one's ahead of us are what I'm focused on so far, although that'll change shortly I'm sure.

Atlanta- i think they're forced to trade the pick or trade Trae. I don't think we're going to want him and it'll suck for them, but i think they just bite the bullet.

Washington- I wouldn't be stunned if they took another wing and move off a couple of they guys on the roster. Deni would be of interest to me of he becomes available. If they take a guard (Dilly), they'll still move at least one of their wings.

Houston- I agree that Utah is the team to watch here with Lauri. If they don't do a dral then Shephard is their guy.

So, both PG's that are healthy will be off the board when it gets to us. Im not disappointed because Matas + Knecht, Holland, or Williams isn't a bad outcome.
    What would you think about #8 for Deni? WAS might view that as an opportunity to make some rook for an income Wing and accelerate their rebuild a little. We could take Dilly and add Deni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you think about #8 for Deni? WAS might view that as an opportunity to make some rook for an income Wing and accelerate their rebuild a little. We could take Dilly and add Deni.
    Easily. Would I trade Cody, Dillingham, Holland or Knecht for Deni. I will take a for sure thing that’s 23 for that no doubt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I probably wouldn't. I'd rather move Keldon who can play 3/4 and would pair pretty good in that role there and I think Deni fits better here with the SL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily. Would I trade Cody, Dillingham, Holland or Knecht for Deni. I will take a for sure thing that’s 23 for that no doubt.
    So same answer if it's is Deni for #4?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So same answer if it's is Deni for #4?
    Nope - because Risacher or Buzelis I’d rather have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avdija + Kispert for Zach Collins + Branham + Wesley + #8 + #35 + Charlotte pick

Spurs get young vets that fit better at the expense of #8 + minor draft capital, takes Collins contract off the books, and makes roster space for a few contributors.
    Washington gives up 2 young and productive players but takes another swing at #8, gets a look at 2 young guys with potential that fit their timeline, and gambles by some miracle Charlotte makes the playoffs they'll get a mid teens pick in a loaded draft

With #4, Spurs either take Dillingham or Sheppard outright (or maybe Risacher), or if they think they can afford to get one of them at #7, offer Portland #4 for #7 + #14 and still get one of the Kentucky guards plus have a chance to take a swing with anyone who falls (Topic, McCain, Cody Williams, Holland, Collier Devin Carter, etc).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avdija + Kispert for Zach Collins + Branham + Wesley + #8 + #35 + Charlotte pick

Spurs get young vets that fit better at the expense of #8 + minor draft capital, takes Collins contract off the books, and makes roster space for a few contributors.
    Washington gives up 2 young and productive players but takes another swing at #8, gets a look at 2 young guys with potential that fit their timeline, and gambles by some miracle Charlotte makes the playoffs they'll get a mid teens pick in a loaded draft

With #4, Spurs either take Dillingham or Sheppard outright (or maybe Risacher), or if they think they can afford to get one of them at #7, offer Portland #4 for #7 + #14 and still get one of the Kentucky guards plus have a chance to take a swing with anyone who falls (Topic, McCain, Cody Williams, Holland, Collier Devin Carter, etc).
    Now that is tempting ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Where do I sign?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why would WAS ever do that deal? Zollins is a negative asset given his salary. Avdija would be a top 4 pick this year. Kispert, Branham, and Wesley are all a wash. There’s no reason why anyone would trade Avdija for #8, which is what this trade is on its best day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be a fan just for 8, let along adding the other stuff. The Spurs aren't a contender, they don't need cost-controlled role-players. There's a very good chance that there will be a player drafted eighth or later who's better than Avdija or Kispert. The Spurs have to just find him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, this mock I just wanted said the Spurs should take Clingan with the fourth pick. Even though I'm fine with the Spurs exploring options for Wemby playing next to a big, I think this was a bad pick to give them. However, I did get me thinking about the Spurs trading down from 4 to a team like Memphis. The Spurs could get 9 plus additional compensation. There's a legit chance the Spurs still walk away with two of their top-five players, save some salary space and pick up an additional asset. While it's not normal for the Spurs to play draft games, this might be a good draft to try to snag a good deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would WAS ever do that deal? Zollins is a negative asset given his salary. Avdija would be a top 4 pick this year. Kispert, Branham, and Wesley are all a wash. There’s no reason why anyone would trade Avdija for #8, which is what this trade is on its best day.
    It's rather a swing for Washington, there are several 19 y.o. with perhaps higher upside that fit their timeline better and are more cost controlled, plus they gamble on a couple 21 year olds and some picks that likely yield nothing special but maybe not. Spurs basically transfer risk to Washington in exchange for production, Washington goes for upside. But you're right in that it's likely Washington that balks at this.
    I wouldn't be a fan just for 8, let along adding the other stuff. The Spurs aren't a contender, they don't need cost-controlled role-players. There's a very good chance that there will be a player drafted eighth or later who's better than Avdija or Kispert. The Spurs have to just find him.
    You're underselling Avdija, he isn't just a "cost controlled role player", he's instantly the best forward on the team, and a better fit with Wemby than anyone we have. You still have plenty of swings left with #4 plus all the other picks, it makes sense to also add some young vets who can contribute while still have room to grow.
    As for "the Spurs have to just find him"... well, that's kind of the problem, isn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, this mock I just wanted said the Spurs should take Clingan with the fourth pick. Even though I'm fine with the Spurs exploring options for Wemby playing next to a big, I think this was a bad pick to give them. However, I did get me thinking about the Spurs trading down from 4 to a team like Memphis. The Spurs could get 9 plus additional compensation. There's a legit chance the Spurs still walk away with two of their top-five players, save some salary space and pick up an additional asset. While it's not normal for the Spurs to play draft games, this might be a good draft to try to snag a good deal.
    Agreed. This draft seems ripe for value. Either moving up or getting an extra pick if cost is low to get a guy you really like or like you said moving back and still getting 2 of your top guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're underselling Avdija, he isn't just a "cost controlled role player", he's instantly the best forward on the team, and a better fit with Wemby than anyone we have. You still have plenty of swings left with #4 plus all the other picks, it makes sense to also add some young vets who can contribute while still have room to grow.
    I don't see that at all. I see "Mikal Bridges at home" -- a guy filling it up on a horrible team who people are overhyping because he signed a cheap long-term deal. Avdija's stats are not good. He wasn't close to the best Wizard last year. I'm not saying he doesn't still have some upside, but he's being overstated. It's not like if Deni were on the team, I would be pushing folks out of the way to trade for him, but the Spurs either need to aim much higher than this or let the draft work.

As for "the Spurs have to just find him"... well, that's kind of the problem, isn't it?
    Not really? It's the problem in the sense it's the task before them, but it's not an impossible feat. It's really, really important to have both top-10 picks in a draft with so much uncertainty. There's no guarantee 8 won't be better than 4. The Spurs having both picks lets them relax way more during the process. It's a huge contrast to a team like Atlanta who cannot mess up their pick if they keep it or the Pistons who are desperate to get a player who can help lead them out of the bottom of the standings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Pistons who are desperate to get a player who can help lead them out of the bottom of the standings.
    I'm just curious why you see the Pistons as any more desperate to get out of the bottom of the standings that the Spurs? Their playoff drought runs exactly as long as our does, and they don't have a Superstar on their team that you'd think you'd want to start winning around.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Memphis definitely seems like a Candidate to try and trade up (to Charlotte at 6?), as Adams was so good as a space eater that let JJJ roam, and Clingan fills the archetype better than other Centers in the draft (and Clingan is cheaper than Poeltl through a trade).

Even if it's just something like the Indiana Washington trade last year where they swapped 1sts and got Indiana got 2nds, that'd be great business. I'd love to be able to drop back a spot, still get our guy, then use assets to upgrade the second round pick to get Ware / Tyler Smith / faller in a higher tier on the Spurs board X (might be able to do this with 35 and 48, but that's a bit of a stretch).

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a Spur fan wanting a trade that clearly favors the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta will get Sarr and will be a great fit with Trae. They should now look to trade dejounte for a couple of young shooters with potential and some mid to late loterry level draft capital.

With Sarr I believe the hawks will do much better and Trae young’s trade value will shoot up.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WAS probably assumes Tyus Jones will bolt and so Reed and Dillingham could be in play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets want to see the market for the #3 pick, although I don't think they'll see much.

As a note, Castle is just as big as we thought he was.

Washington really likes Avidja. He's like Coby White. These players are not for sale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just curious why you see the Pistons as any more desperate to get out of the bottom of the standings that the Spurs? Their playoff drought runs exactly as long as our does, and they don't have a Superstar on their team that you'd think you'd want to start winning around.
    Huge difference in DET and Spurs despite some seemingly on paper similarities. DET is a panic and on fire right now. FO a mess, getting turned down for interviews, fans completely hopeless after years and years truly tanking/rebuilding. Players not fitting together, new coach not helping/working out.

Spurs fans are excited and team clearly has stability and on upswing during early rebuild. DET was supposed to be much better this season and it was a nightmare.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Hawks - Defense is the prime need and Sarr is the obvious choice, with Risacher the likely only other consideration. Preference is apparently to move Young, Capela and Hunter, but door not closed on Murray or Okongwu.

2. Wizards - Offensive ceiling is the prime need, yet Risacher is the obvious choice, to be utilized to trade down for Topic (pending diagnosis) or Dillingham + as they're in asset ac ulation mode. Not in a rush to move Kuzma, but he's obviously not in the long term plans and Avdija can probably be pried for a "good" 1st.

3. Rockets - Shooting is the prime need and rim protection is next, so Sheppard, followed by Clingan is the likely choice if retained but expect them to shop it for a top starter. Circling back to Nets for Bridges makes sense, especially with their need at lead guard.

5. Pistons - BPA. Duren is not a good enough defensive anchor to not select Clingan and Ivey hasn't shown enough offensively to not pick Dillingham, especially with incoming TBD POBO. That said, Buzelis is the cleanest fit and his agent is the son of their Vice Chairman. Seems like Cunningham is only definite keeper.

6. Hornets - Wing defense, athleticism, rim pressure. This feels like a Castle or Holland team. Bridges will probably be signed and traded.

7. Trail Blazers - Wings and shooting, but really BPA. Maybe a flyer on Salaun. Conventional wisdom suggests Brogdon is traded, but it could be Simons instead. Close to the tax while re-building is a no go.

Thread Information