Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember Walter used to have this huge gold rope chain like the ones Run DMC wore. Can't imagine how much that cost. Thing was heavy as and don't think it was plated or anything.
    Berry was friends with Mike Tyson. He was there when Tyson got into a street fight with Mitch Green.

https://youtu.be/D4eSjbf9Cw4

Anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Berry was friends with Mike Tyson. He was there when Tyson got into a street fight with Mitch Green.

https://youtu.be/D4eSjbf9Cw4

Anyway.
    haha amazing. The Spurs won’t sign a guy with traffic violations these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This one of the earliest for me. I was like 9. My uncle had spent some time in Houston when they went back to back so he was a Rockets fan and bet me $5.

That whole season was badass. I vividly remember the stretch towards the end of the eason where they had a bunch of really impressive wins (Portland two times, Utah, etc). My older brother really feared the Blazers cause they had kicked the Spurs ass earlier in the year and they went into the Rose Garden and pulled off a really gutsy win right before the playoffs. That's when I knew they were going all the way that year.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha amazing. The Spurs won’t sign a guy with traffic violations these days.
    Spurs workout: What car do you drive?
    Player: I don't have a license.
    Spurs: Move him up the draft queue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This one of the earliest for me. I was like 9. My uncle had spent some time in Houston when they went back to back so he was a Rockets fan and bet me $5.

That whole season was badass. I vividly remember the stretch towards the end of the eason where they had a bunch of really impressive wins (Portland two times, Utah, etc). My older brother really feared the Blazers cause they had kicked the Spurs ass earlier in the year and they went into the Rose Garden and pulled off a really gutsy win right before the playoffs. That's when I knew they were going all the way that year.
    Man Rio was exactly what we needed in 99. Tough as fking nails. If they surrounded DRob with more guys like him earlier they would have won a chip before the TD era.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man Rio was exactly what we needed in 99. Tough as fking nails. If they surrounded DRob with more guys like him earlier they would have won a chip before the TD era.
    AJ was just as tough as Mario. But those Spurs teams had such a talent deficiency outside of David when Rodman was being a baby.

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walter Berry also gave my dad a pair of his shoes after a game. Man the Spurs players really loved the fans in the 80s. I'm sure they still did in the 90s and beyond too
    A buddy and I used to hang out after practices at UIW and collect autographs on Skybox and Fleer cards. Everybody was cool except Paul Pressey who was a jerk. Terry mings gave us a couple pairs of autographed shoes. We asked Avery Johnson for a pair and he laughed and said he couldn't afford a pair for every game so he needed them. My friend lived near UIW and Willie Andersen gave us a ride home (think it was a convertible BMW). Avery's girlfriend Cassandra came to pick him up and gave us a ride once also. Terry spotted us at North Star Mall, threw his head back and said "Oh no! Not you guys." and walked his family over and introduced them to us. David Robinson had a similar reaction when seeing us out in the wild somewhere. It was amazing to have two NBA All Stars recognize us, give us these huge genuine smiles, and walk over and mess with us. Not sure what level of player/fan interaction there is these days but I hope there are a couple of other dumb teenagers out there right now getting that same experience from current players. Those were great times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AJ was just as tough as Mario. But those Spurs teams had such a talent deficiency outside of David when Rodman was being a baby.
    haha Rio could both D up and shoot. AJ had his jersey retired because he actually started hitting 12 foot shots in 1999 in part because literally nobody ever guarded him. Still a great PG but he had his flaws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A buddy and I used to hang out after practices at UIW and collect autographs on Skybox and Fleer cards. Everybody was cool except Paul Pressey who was a jerk. Terry mings gave us a couple pairs of autographed shoes. We asked Avery Johnson for a pair and he laughed and said he couldn't afford a pair for every game so he needed them. My friend lived near UIW and Willie Andersen gave us a ride home (think it was a convertible BMW). Avery's girlfriend Cassandra came to pick him up and gave us a ride once also. Terry spotted us at North Star Mall, threw his head back and said "Oh no! Not you guys." and walked his family over and introduced them to us. David Robinson had a similar reaction when seeing us out in the wild somewhere. It was amazing to have two NBA All Stars recognize us, give us these huge genuine smiles, and walk over and mess with us. Not sure what level of player/fan interaction there is these days but I hope there are a couple of other dumb teenagers out there right now getting that same experience from current players. Those were great times.
    Nice. Not surprised to hear that at all about TC, he was always great to his when fans whenever I'd see him. And yeah anyone who ever met David wouldn't be surprised either. I knew his dad better though since my dad would buy books about David that I guess his pops was having published so that we could sell them at baseball card shows his first couple of years. And of course they always sold out so we'd be back to Ambros' office to buy more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha Rio could both D up and shoot. AJ had his jersey retired because he actually started hitting 12 foot shots in 1999 in part because literally nobody ever guarded him. Still a great PG but he had his flaws.
    Too bad the NBA changed the rules as soon as the Spurs rang so you couldn't win with physical guard play anymore, turning Mario from a nice roleplayer to obsolete overnight. But that wasn't a problem when it was Jordan and Ron Harper getting up in everyone's the year before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad the NBA changed the rules as soon as the Spurs rang so you couldn't win with physical guard play anymore, turning Mario from a nice roleplayer to obsolete overnight. But that wasn't a problem when it was Jordan and Ron Harper getting up in everyone's the year before.
    haha so true. Mario Ellie made Bruce Bowen look like a ballerina out there. I personally miss the physicality but I guess I’m just showing my age and I’m only 36.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha so true. Mario Ellie made Bruce Bowen look like a ballerina out there. I personally miss the physicality but I guess I’m just showing my age and I’m only 36.
    I loved all the complaints about low scoring in 1999 even though the 1998 Finals were a bunch of games with scores in the 80s. Jordan's Bulls score 85 points and it's the most exciting thing ever, Tim Duncan leads a Spurs team scoring 85 points and it's so slow and a snoozefest. ing NBA media.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Avery's job was to keep Robinson jacked up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the stories. After seeing many games in the 70's, I was the coach at an area HS and free time was limited. From mid 80's till I guess around 1990 the Spurs brought in area HS teams and had the kids sell cheap tickets and then play a regularly scheduled game prior to the Spurs game and then hang out and watch the Spurs game. We were regularly invited once a year because the kids did a good job of selling tickets. It was fun to be in that environment and of course the kids loved it. The Spurs rep I dealt with was a guy named Lawrence Payne who was on the promotions team . He was really a nice guy and a go getter and was good to us. We really enjoyed those trips to SA for our own game and an evening with the Spurs. Of course Payne moved up to be a big shot in the media department with the Spurs and I believe he retired in 2021. More good memories.
    Last edited by rogcl1; 07-26-2022 at 04:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice. Not surprised to hear that at all about TC, he was always great to his when fans whenever I'd see him. And yeah anyone who ever met David wouldn't be surprised either. I knew his dad better though since my dad would buy books about David that I guess his pops was having published so that we could sell them at baseball card shows his first couple of years. And of course they always sold out so we'd be back to Ambros' office to buy more.

yea david was cool af. When my mom worked at the carver he would play his piano in the library. I asked him if he missed playing basketball once and he said not at all. He was all about spending time with his family

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea david was cool af. When my mom worked at the carver he would play his piano in the library. I asked him if he missed playing basketball once and he said not at all. He was all about spending time with his family
    David, much as he did for the team and community, never burned for the game like Tim did. Tim literally played on one leg for 6-7 years. He still works with the young players at the practice facility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing great about Avery. The dude cost us so many series in the 90s bc he was so ty. I loved Ellie. Named my kid after him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs workout: What car do you drive?
    Player: I don't have a license.
    Spurs: Move him up the draft queue.
    Sochan reference

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan reference
    And Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crap, forgot Manute Bol. I saw him one time just taking a walk outside the Marriott across the street from Hemisfair after a game and he came and walked with my mom, dad, and I to the parking garage when we saw him. He was a really nice guy and it was insane being a little kid and walking and talking with 7'7" Manute Bol. God he was enormous when you're standing two feet away from him. I was so sad to hear the way he died a few years ago after all the money he put into his home town and will always root for his son Bol to succeed.
    Manute was a total class act
    His son really looks like him it's crazy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember hanging out with Danny Green's arm around my waist, and Samuel Dalembert was there too and kept staring at my white pants for some reason. I think I had too much to drink, don't recall much else that night but I couldn't walk the next day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember hanging out with Danny Green's arm around my waist, and Samuel Dalembert was there too and kept staring at my white pants for some reason. I think I had too much to drink, don't recall much else that night but I couldn't walk the next day.
    He show you his pet snake?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He show you his pet snake?!?
    He was like "hey dude, those pants are rockin'" which I knew already, "you must be the guy ing people's wives while they are at work saving up to buy her a new purse".

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was like "hey dude, those pants are rockin'" which I knew already, "you must be the guy ing people's wives while they are at work saving up to buy her a new purse".
    wish there was an MS Paint illustration of this anecdote somewhere

Gone Crazy, be back later CrazyOne's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember starting a new job in early 99 and hanging around on the internet with some Cali girl named Kori and a guy named Mouse...
    Turned out to be a pretty good year for the Spurs, if I remember correctly.
    (And yes, I still feel the pain from that Strickland pass in Portland.)

Thread Information