Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any realistic chance that they'd offer that? I don't see it..
    It depends how desperate Bulls get and whether they’re gonna throw good money at this mediocre core. Best situation is they start well again and they convince themselves they’re a piece away.

— Vuc is clear dead weight for the
    and is basically a 22M expiring now.
    — the crappy POR pick is cost to the salary differential between Jak and Vuc (~13M)
    - the later pick is value for Jak himself (+ Byrd rights)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not really excited to see McBuckets starting at PF. This defeats the purpose of Keldon playing 3 and likelihood of Poeltl again overhelping defensively. I say start Sochan at PF from Day 1. It’s all about developing this year, and no better way to develop than having him play that PF as much as possible, meaning starter minutes.

I really want them to move Doug asap, and avoid losing either KBD or Langford. You can never have enough mobile big in KBD, and there still much to tap in Langford, while Doug is..Doug.

timvp, you didn’t mention anything about Zollins. Is it because he’s not standing out like Tre or Keldon. I think Zollins is also another one that many Spurs fans are excited about. First, if they’re eventually moving Jak, is Zollins a capable replacement? Honestly I like to keep Jak if Sochan/Poeltl clicks. Is Zollins just a 2nd stringer behind Jak? Jak is > defensively while Zollins > offensively and takes some pressure off Sochan as a perimeter shooter, idk.

Primo as a franchise player, but at what position? Tre is the best PG we have. Devin is likewise our best SG and will be a beast at 6’7, Keldon has the starting 3 as long as he wants it. And Primo is doubtful better at PF than Sochan/Toby. So which starting position if Primo is going to be a franchise player?

Any word of trade for picks before season starts? I wish it’s McBuckets they are moving but unlikely at this time, while it might be valuable to move by trade deadline when playoff-bound teams are getting ready to add more pieces. I surely don’t like to lode either KBD or Langford just to be at 17.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Vassell looks like he put some muscle on but I doubt he grew 2 inches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest question: were Manu & TP franchise players? They were vital cogs of championship teams, HoF, but could they carry a franchise by themselves? I think not...
    This is to put into perspective just how high the bar is set for you to be considered a franchise player... I don't really know if they really believe it or they're pulling our leg, TBH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got my ATX tickets for "when the Spurs move to Austin"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest question: were Manu & TP franchise players? They were vital cogs of championship teams, HoF, but could they carry a franchise by themselves? I think not...
    This is to put into perspective just how high the bar is set for you to be considered a franchise player... I don't really know if they really believe it or they're pulling our leg, TBH.
    I think if you put prime TP or Manu on a ty team like Sacramento or Charlotte or whatever and give them the keys to be the #1 option...they would have put up bigger stats and could be viewed as a "franchise guy". Keep in mind there were plenty of "franchise guys" like Steve Nash, Tracy McGrady, or Steve "The Franchise" Francis who never even made the Finals.

Would they be the types to single-handedly carry a team to the Finals? Probably not....but they definitely sacrificed personal stats for the team concept, and still managed to be All-Star caliber players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Vassell looks like he put some muscle on but I doubt he grew 2 inches.
    So the one on NBA.com 6’5 is without shoes? Because I see him 6’7 on other websites.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the one on NBA.com 6’5 is without shoes? Because I see him 6’7 on other websites.
    NBA requires annual measurements (shoeless) submitted by team physicians each fall.

Players who attend the combine are measured in shoes and shoeless. Vassell never attended the combine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA requires annual measurements (shoeless) submitted by team physicians each fall.

Players who attend the combine are measured in shoes and shoeless. Vassell never attended the combine.
    Well at least it’s the unathletic Forbes, Mills. Devins height and reach will be a pleasant change, on top of his smooth offense and plus defender

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there’s more you can get away with defensively at the 4 simply because there aren’t that many freak PFs (if by this, you mean big and physical) in the NBA right now. I think, most times, just having a body there to stop players is somewhat enough defensively as a 4. On the other hand, if a player is assigned to defend quick, perimeter players then the defense completely breaks down and the Center is more likely to get into foul trouble.

so while the bar is low for a 4 to be good defensively, the upside is extremely high. I think that’s why they drafted Sochan to begin with; if he works out for us, the team defense would be extremely good. I can’t think of many elite defensive 4’s in the NBA right now— only guards, wings, and centers. I think it’s an untapped area ever since the NBA changed into what it is now. The NBA hasn’t seen the perfect defensive 4 who can literally guard 2-5 and provide elite help defense. When that day comes (hopefully it’s Sochan), it’s going to be game-changing.
    He, Sochan that is, says he can guard 1-5. He's such a mystery as to fit on thus team simply because we haven't seen him out there and don't know what the coaches have planned as far as scheme goes for him. Really hopeful he turns into more than expected. Still hopeful on Vassell and Primo, btw, if used and developed properly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s probably worth noting the level of compe ion at training camp. Might want to consider the guys who look good are actually playing against lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    heyheymymy

Looks like McD is projected to play the 3 after all! Looks like there is an emphasis to play bigger this year.

Updating my projected rotations:

Tre/ Primo/ Wesley/ Hall
    Vassell/ JRich/ Branham
    Keldon/ McDermott/ Wieskamp
    Sochan/ Roby/ KBD
    Poeltl/ Collins/ Dieng/ Barlow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    heyheymymy

Looks like McD is projected to play the 3 after all! Looks like there is an emphasis to play bigger this year.

Updating my projected rotations:

Tre/ Primo/ Wesley/ Hall
    Vassell/ JRich/ Branham
    Keldon/ McDermott/ Wieskamp
    Sochan/ Roby/ KBD
    Poeltl/ Collins/ Dieng/ Barlow
    The repatriation of our guys to their natural positions is damn refreshing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good heads up thanks! I think McD will still shift up to PF a lot situationally but I agree it's refreshing to see guys seeming like they won't play mad scientist roles on the Spurs this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The repatriation of our guys to their natural positions is damn refreshing.
    Except Primo of course. He's closer to a 4 than a 1. But youre right, if that lineup shakes out, I'll take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except Primo of course. He's closer to a 4 than a 1. But youre right, if that lineup shakes out, I'll take it.
    Repatriate Primo to the G-League where he belongs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^in coming Miss Cleo to infer a bright future if only u are patient

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repatriate Primo to the G-League where he belongs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh so Keldon is going to play the 3 now like some of us have been saying he should have been doing since I don't know...the day he was drafted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh so Keldon is going to play the 3 now like some of us have been saying he should have been doing since I don't know...the day he was drafted
    Yes. Now fast forward to 3 years from now after Primo spends the next 2 years being square pegged into the round hold of playing PG. It'll be deja-vu all over again..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it before but I will say it again after watching pre season: SA needs to trade Jak/Richardson (Doug sucks already so his value is already cooked) immediately or risk running their values into the ground.

I dont see a path at improving their stock. They arent the type of players to put up stats on a bad team - they are great role players that get elevated and help winning teams. There is nothing but downside at this point to holding onto them IMVHO

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it before but I will say it again after watching pre season: SA needs to trade Jak/Richardson (Doug sucks already so his value is already cooked) immediately or risk running their values into the ground.

I dont see a path at improving their stock. They arent the type of players to put up stats on a bad team - they are great role players that get elevated and help winning teams. There is nothing but downside at this point to holding onto them IMVHO
    It’s not just about improving stock.

There will be teams that are buying high right now that could be buying aggressively at the trade deadline. Moves will be made and both those players could push a playoff team into a deeper run. So if you can’t get the value you want now there’s a chance you could at the deadline.

Obviously I’m all for a deal now if there’s one to be made. But it would be stupid to give these guys up for 2nd rounder this early.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not just about improving stock.

There will be teams that are buying high right now that could be buying aggressively at the trade deadline. Moves will be made and both those players could push a playoff team into a deeper run. So if you can’t get the value you want now there’s a chance you could at the deadline.

Obviously I’m all for a deal now if there’s one to be made. But it would be stupid to give these guys up for 2nd rounder this early.
    I agree. People already know what Rich, Poeltl, and Doug can and can't do. None of these 3 are going to play well for 20 games and make a team who wasn't going to give up a first for them...give up a first for them. Spurs best bet is to hang on to them until the trade deadline where there will be one team under performing and looking for a vet to right the ship or over performing and looking for a vet to propel them cause they are better than they thought and might come to realize a future 1st round pick isn't helping them as much as a veteran player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ the only disagreement I have here is that if McBooger shows he can be a high volume sniper some playoff teams might view him more valuably.

With regards to Jak I think sans DJ his job just got alot harder though and he’s going to look worse on the offensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I just don't know if 'improving their stock' is a thing in the NBA when it comes to veterans. Everyone in the league knows what Josh Richardson and Jakob Poeltl can do. It's not a mystery. A good example of how teams actively know what players are even when playing (or not playing) for bad teams is Thad Young last year. Toronto understood him as having value and traded for him.

Thread Information