Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...act-extension/

I'm hoping he has a big season ............ but, yeah, I'm not sold on him enough to back the idea of the Spurs giving him a contract extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man dude went from our future after the rockets game to this💩

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed - as a Walker fan, would love to see Lonnie on a different team next season tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    absolutely agree. i've been hopeful that lonnie has his break-out season three years in a row now so i think it's just best we wait it out and see if he's peaked or finally gets over the hump.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is the real potential star and they need to save money to sign him to an extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seemed somewhat obvious imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    y'all need to see walker play live...you really get an appreciation how bad he is as an NBA player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    y'all need to see walker play live...you really get an appreciation how bad he is as an NBA player
    I can see it on TV. He’s like a lesser version of Ben McLemore, and his best outcome would be lead bench scorer at this point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying Walker is worth a ton of money but who is even out there that would be better? I can only think of Ayton and Boucher.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even worth considering. He's been a replacement level player to this point, they're already extended two sub star guards, Primo already looks more promising and the projected top 5-10 pick could easily yield the best prospect guard since or pre Parker.

Even if he proves to be a solid bench player this season, he's not breaking the bank either way at this point and there's nothing wrong with re-assessing at that point.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *sniff*sniff*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like no extension for Walker. Shamet and Grayson Allen got right around that $10 million per season. Huerter got ~$16 million but he's also a lot better than LWIV. So, yeah, the Spurs likely would have had to give him $10+ million in an extension and were right not to do so, IMO.

That said, hopefully he plays really well this season and the Spurs have to give him Huerter money in the offseason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Anderson was way better than Lonnie Walker IV and he didn't get an extension, so I don't see any reason why Lonnie would get one.

I feel like Lonnie will turn out to be a draft bust, although looking back at the 2018 draft, there wasn't anyone too great that could have been picked instead (Kevin Huerter and Grayson Allen are better, but not good enough to regret missing out on them like Jokic for example). And at least Lonnie showed flashes of potential (the Houston game) unlike Samanic who barely got to play at all. He still has a chance to turn things around but I'm not expecting him to do so this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has all of the tools to be an amazing stand out player but from what he has shown is not the heart to back that up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can get back to finding guys like Jonathon Simmons at the local YMCA no need to pay Walker. The same fools on this board who think Primo is baby Kobe were calling Walker the next D Wade. Time for LWIV to show out. We can’t keep handing out 15mm a year contracts to every nice guy. Even Keldon better earn his payday this season. Not extending Walker is Brian Wright’s first good decision as a GM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see why we took him. He has everything you want in a prospect. He has extreme athleticism. He has a deadly first step. He has midrange and a 3 ball. These are the types of players fans have been screaming for years to take. And yet he has no toughness, heart, or smarts. Hard pass

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we lost Luka and now probably loose another first rounder after this season - Is it the coach it is it the GM?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we lost Luka and now probably loose another first rounder after this season - Is it the coach it is it the GM?
    Lonnie will have an NBA career, his pride may just not allow it to be here. Others we have drafted didn’t cut it here, but still played hundreds of NBA games. Mahinmi, Hill, CoJo, Kyle, none of them went beyond their rookie deals here. Sometimes a player is NBA caliber, but is a poor fit, or redundant. Doesn’t mean it was a bad pick. You go for BPA, always, or at least the Spurs do. Can’t believe dumb s like you are still all about this. If you look at a graph of first round pick positions, and the win shares produced, there is a BIG bump out from 28-30. That’s us. Our end of round pick out produce a lot of teams lottery picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like on his Instagram he’s disappointed he didn’t get an extension. I hope he stays. Outside of Primo and Vassell he probably has the highest ceiling. Would love him to be a huge scoring threat off the bench. Unfortunately I just don’t think it’s going to work out. I hope majority of us are wrong though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the potential everyone sees, and wouldn't be sad to see him go. He can jump and sometimes score, but that's about it. Undersized bench scorer at best, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he has a big season, we RFA him and decide to match/make an offer from there. If not I think you've got to move on. We'll have the cap space to wait and decide. I think it's the right move to not sign him right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can literally see the frustration on the faces of the other players on the court....murray specifically is constantly telling walker where to be on D during time outs...demar did so also..walker is an athletic freak and a smart guy ....he just doesn't have that feel for the game

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can literally see the frustration on the faces of the other players on the court....murray specifically is constantly telling walker where to be on D during time outs...demar did so also..walker is an athletic freak and a smart guy ....he just doesn't have that feel for the game
    Demar shouldnt be dishing out advice since he cant lead by example on that side of the ball. You couldnt of missed it. Can we call it defense? I saw it as a ballerina act that was always off balance or too late. In fact i thought he was the most useless spurs on D where as Lonnie was always engaged 1 on 1.. its was his team defense that was lacking.

In any case im glad to see Lonnie gets to prove his worth. Its make or break this season. Coach pop has to back him though..With Rudy, Patty and Demar gone . Theres a scoring void to be filled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree about his basketball IQ being low and you couple that with his constant uncertainty and you have the player we’ve seen so far.

hopefully he doesn’t wilt due to not getting the extension though. He should go out there and show why he deserves to be paid what he and his agent think he deserves.

I truly hope he plays great this season and earns a big new contract because it will only mean good things for our Spurs.

Thread Information