Page 71 of 164 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 4088
    Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna be a millennial and "manifest" that #2 pick for us.

Let's get Jabari, gang.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope they don't end up with Johnny Davis at 9.
    Why? I think he can change his playstyle. He tries on defense and on the boards, already has an in between game and his off ball looks promising. Young sop re too.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? I think he can change his playstyle. He tries on defense and on the boards, already has an in between game and his off ball looks promising. Young sop re too.
    Seems like he has challenges getting to the rim, which is a concern. But I like his at ude.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last 5 drafts for the Spurs have been horrible,,,,no reason to think this one will be any different. Spurs fans slobbering all over Murray is the only bright spot theyve had and Murray is a poor mans Russell Westbrook,,,
    That's simply incorrect...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like he has challenges getting to the rim, which is a concern. But I like his at ude.
    Exactly, They need a penetrator who can get to the rim. Spurs have enough guys who can knock down a perimeter shot. Spurs need to add more athleticism. The Pelicans looked far more athletic at attacking the basket than the Spurs did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn’t athleticism at attacking the basket, they were making cuts with no one to stop them. This isn’t the fault of the center either— the help defense was abysmal. They need defenders who are good at making stops after the first defense fails.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let's get Jabari, gang.
    I'd rather the spurs land Ivey with the 4th pick. Although Shaedon Sharpe might end up the best player in this draft over the course of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all have our favorite player who we think the spurs should pick, but ...

The draft combine may change how we look a certain players. Some will rise some will fall but it probably will change a bit from what we think
    As the playoffs run their course and some favored team loses early, they may try to make a deal to get into the draft because their priorities have changed after losing
    A team with no draft pick may try to get into the draft
    A player may choose not to enter the draft to boost his stock for next year
    A coach may get fired, so the teams drafting philosophy may change thus selecting a different player
    A combine report may show that a player has some kind of injury lowering his stock
    A team selects a player out of nowhere (the spurs have done this several times before) bumping a favored player down a bit. Now that's luck !
    Trades, Trades, Trades !
    Injuries to a key player make a team draft someone they normally would not have drafted.

Again we all make our semi logical lists that we think how the draft should go, but the reality is that there are so so many variables that can change where a player is actually drafted. The season is over for the spurs so its time for them to put all their draft lists and draft info to good use. Hopefully they make a good choice so that we won't be saying "that player is 2 years away from being 2 years away" come draft night.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn’t athleticism at attacking the basket, they were making cuts with no one to stop them. This isn’t the fault of the center either— the help defense was abysmal. They need defenders who are good at making stops after the first defense fails.
    The Spurs need more athleticism, a go to explosive scorer who is good enough to break down a defense. Murray should not be the top offensive option.

I don't want to see primarily a defensive addition. Those guys are not top 10 players in the league. The spurs need to add a player with a top 10 all star potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need more athleticism, a go to explosive scorer who is good enough to break down a defense. Murray should not be the top offensive option.

I don't want to see primarily a defensive addition. Those guys are not top 10 players in the league. The spurs need to add a player with a top 10 all star potential.
    I didn’t say the Spurs didn’t need the type of player you described. I’m saying the primary reason why the Pels destroyed the Spurs in their matchup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You speak as if you were to pick a few groceries from the store... If you want a top 10 guy you better pick top 3 or get really lucky... probably both.
    In this draft the closest to that are Banchero, Ivey or Jabari Smith (long shot)... not Chet. That would take a top 4 pick, of which we have a 20% chance.
    Maybe Shaedon Sharpe if he's as good as some think (I have no idea, but he'll go very high) or Johnny Davis if he extends his range (only realistic option IMO). VERY long shots at that may be Baldwin Jr or Hardy, who have shown flashes but are EXTREMELY inefficient as of yet and, much more likely than not, busts.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You speak as if you were to pick a few groceries from the store... If you want a top 10 guy you better pick top 3 or get really lucky... probably both.
    In this draft the closest to that are Banchero, Ivey or Jabari Smith (long shot)... not Chet. That would take a top 4 pick, of which we have a 20% chance.
    Maybe Shaedon Sharpe if he's as good as some think (I have no idea, but he'll go very high) or Johnny Davis if he extends his range (only realistic option IMO). VERY long shots at that may be Baldwin Jr or Hardy, who have shown flashes but are EXTREMELY inefficient as of yet and, much more likely than not, busts.
    Yes, Spurs would need to get lucky to get into the top four but I like Ivey and Sharpe as you mention. Sharpe has shone the physical skills already to be a Dr. J type of player depending on his at ude and work ethic. Probably has the highest upside of this entire draft class. Ivey and Sharpe are the type of players that the spurs need to add. I would trade anyone on the roster to get Ivey. Murray is not untradeable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let's get Jabari, gang.
    That would be amazing!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Spurs would need to get lucky to get into the top four but I like Ivey and Sharpe as you mention. Sharpe has shone the physical skills already to be a Dr. J type of player depending on his at ude and work ethic. Probably has the highest upside of this entire draft class. Ivey and Sharpe are the type of players that the spurs need to add. I would trade anyone on the roster to get Ivey. Murray is not untradeable.
    I doubt Murray would be enough. But it would also require some team getting into the top 4 that both needs a PG and has a sense of urgency. The only team I can see who meets both criteria might be New York, which has even lower odds than us (around 10%). But I can definitely see them going for it, were them to get lucky enough. Other than that, the rest of the teams either have a PG or they'd rather take a chance at a higher potential guy.

Maybe a more realistic chance would be to offer our own pick + say Keldon Johnson and maybe something for a top 4 pick, and hope someone bites. I would do that for Ivey, Banchero, or Jabari Smith.
    Last edited by Ariel; 04-16-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Murray would be enough. But it would also require some team getting into the top 4 that both needs a PG and has a sense of urgency. The only team I can see who meets both criteria might be New York, which has even lower odds than us (around 10%). But I can definitely see them going for it, were them to get lucky enough. Other than that, the rest of the teams either have a PG or they'd rather take a chance at a higher potential guy.

Maybe a more realistic chance would be to offer our own pick + say Keldon Johnson and maybe something for a top 4 pick, and hope someone bites. I would do that for Ivey, Banchero, or Jabari Smith.
    If our pick + KJ + another minor asset gets us in the top 4 we'd have to do that....not sure it does though but I'd be all over it if it materialized..

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Knick fan base would revolt if they traded a top 4 pick for Murray.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since when has Dolan cared about his fanbase?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m still interested in Justin Lewis from Marquette with one of the later firsts.

He looks like a little like a more mobile, less chiseled Isaiah Stewart; from purely a physical perspective.
    Just turned 20 a few days ago. Developing outside game. Decent rebounder and defender.

6’7” with just under 7’2” WS. You can see that length on display in this clip, specifically at the 1:12 mark…

He could eventually evolve into a PJ Washington type 4, small ball 5.
    I like Lewis, i discovered him a few weeks before the march madness. Could be a good nba player tough he ended his season really badly.

As for Johnny Davis, i'm not against taking him. I think he'll be better in the NBA than in NCAA where he forced things sometimes and don't have a lot of good teammates. He was really good with Wisconsin imo. He's a guard but if he's the BPA then i'm ok, i think he's a true SG but he can plays some SF.

Reminds be a little bit of Klay Thompson ( defense, pull up, catch and shoot)

Really nice scouting about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Knicks? Doubt they'd revolt. They're all for the quick fix, and Dejounte has been rumored to be of interest to them for a while. They could do a lot worse than a 25 y.o. all star on a cheap contract that meets their most pressing need... in fact, they've done far worse than that... time and again.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading anybody, provided it's a high enough return, thinking long term. If not, sit tight, play our cards right in the draft, and the opportunity will come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If our pick + KJ + another minor asset gets us in the top 4 we'd have to do that....not sure it does though but I'd be all over it if it materialized..
    Me neither, but you never know... you may just come across a team that doesn't value as highly the prospect you're after, and likes someone a few picks later... and if they can add an up and coming forward in the process, they might go for it. It's far from certain, but might happen. I just hope the FO doesn't fall in love with our guys and keeps their options open. There have been some promising signals in that regard with the Derrick White trade and the Poeltl talks, I just hope they stay on that course.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me neither, but you never know... you may just come across a team that doesn't value as highly the prospect you're after, and likes someone a few picks later... and if they can add an up and coming forward in the process, they might go for it. It's far from certain, but might happen. I just hope the FO doesn't fall in love with our guys and keeps their options open. There have been some promising signals in that regard with the Derrick White trade and the Poeltl talks, I just hope they stay on that course.
    Agreed... I think (posted in the offseason thread) with Charlotte now having the 13th and 15th picks that there's real potential for a Poeltl trade there. It could go several different ways depending on what we're willing to do with our cap space..

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Knicks? Doubt they'd revolt. They're all for the quick fix, and Dejounte has been rumored to be of interest to them for a while. They could do a lot worse than a 25 y.o. all star on a cheap contract that meets their most pressing need... in fact, they've done far worse than that... time and again.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading anybody, provided it's a high enough return, thinking long term. If not, sit tight, play our cards right in the draft, and the opportunity will come.
    I can hear the boos now from the Knick's fans. They want the upside star potential of a top pick and not Murray.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, They need a penetrator who can get to the rim. Spurs have enough guys who can knock down a perimeter shot. Spurs need to add more athleticism. The Pelicans looked far more athletic at attacking the basket than the Spurs did.

The Spurs ranked 18th in the league for 3P%, and 25th for 3P Attempted. Together, that put them at 26th for total 3P made. LWIV had the third most made 3's on the team (111), but shot an unacceptable .314. McD had the fourth most (107), and does very little other than shoot 3's.

Is Doncic a guy who can attack the rim? He took 13% of his shots from 3' or less this year. Trae Young? He took 16% of his shots from inside 3'. Keldon and DJ both took around 21.5% of their shots from close range. And they both made 65% of those shots - Trae Young made 63% of his.

The Spurs also gave up 9269 points on the season, which ranks 23rd in the league - 7 from the bottom. What the Spurs need are 3-and-D players, and specifically a stretch 4. What they don't need are one-dimensional guys like McBuckets, or more 6'5" guys trying to defend PF's on a regular basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing the way the Spurs think I would not be surprised if they used the early first round pick on Malacai Branham.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Absolutey this.

As for getting to the rim - DJ and Keldon are providing enough of that. The numbers show how many shots they are taking from inside 3', and their FG% of those shots. A team can't have everyone diving at the time, or the other teams will just clog the paint.

They need defense, just like you say. But they can't be defenders who don't have a serious outside thread... or the other teams will just clog the paint.

Any way you slice it, they need a legit 6'8"-6'9" PF who can defend and can shoot around .330 or better from outside. That's the Spurs' first and most important need. THEN they can think about another 6'5" guy, IF he can be a legit 3-and-D type of player. (D-and-3, if you like the sound of that better.)

Thread Information