Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty lukewarm on Ayton myself. Does he have a consistent mid range shot really? What does he do better than Poeltl? Or I should say, what does he do thats worth $10-$15M more than Poeltl gets? (The range depends on if we're talking Poeltl's current salary or his salary after an extention)
    To me it seems he’s got a much better jumpshot that I saw him flash during the Pelicans series in the first round. They don’t get out of the first round without him and CP3 4th Q heroics, but I was impressed by seeing h8m really pitch in with scoring when they needed him. Obvious he was being set up by CP3, in the spots he liked and he wasn’t posting up or anything but he’s definitely a lot more talented offensively than Jakob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans are hilarious to me. They value someone like Derrick White who's the 9th man on the Celtics, but don't want anybody who'd be the best or 2nd best player on their team, because "character"
    It’s not character, it’s the Aldridge/DeRozan syndrome.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is we either package them to move up from 20 or we move one for a future first down the road.
    I really hope they swap one of the late picks for a future one. Goal should be to have multiple lotto tickets over the next 4 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus carried a couple of poor SA teams to the playoffs… but LMA is actually who came to mind. Different games of course, but just a player that doesn't have a higher gear when you need him.

I do keep coming back to what do you do with 4 picks and some contracts who are really not keepers? This is not about an evaluation of Ayton or Lavine in a ranking of the top players in the NBA. It’s a real world evaluation within context. It’s them versus what you have on the roster.

I do think the Spurs need to turn some of their assets into at least some kind of improvement somewhere. The worst that could happen is that you draft all those 4 guys, none of which has a chance to be as good as Lavine or Ayton right now. And if we are optimistic, let’s say they get one hit, the other 3 are below average, average at best, and nowhere close to the trade targets.

They also have some salary they can turn into a different player. So its a lot about opportunity cost, trying to get better in context, and building around the pieces that you have.

A franchise player is not up for trade, so you can only consider among the options that you have.
    In the absence for landing a FA or trade target, I do think the name of the game here is to do more Derrick White type deals to up your chances of getting more impact players.

I'm incredibly happy to see the Hills, Whites, Greens, Andersons, Berts, Baynes, Bobans, and CJs go one to have respectable careers in other places after they left the team. I will also be incredibly happy to see others currently on the roster be great role players elsewhere too, and I don't think any of those guys can say that the Spurs brand didnt get them PAID (elsewhere).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans are hilarious to me. They value someone like Derrick White who's the 9th man on the Celtics, but don't want anybody who'd be the best or 2nd best player on their team, because "character"
    haha agreed but it’s more just a reality knowing Ayton probably isn’t on our radar given recent developments and yeah he would be the second best player but that is because we are easily in the conversation of least talented team in the league not because he is anything special. I personally could give a fk about character if they can show up on game day. Spurs culture BS has gone waaaaayyyyy too far in recent years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if there's a way to use the cap space to help someone in the contender range get Ayton. Not sure whether Phoenix would deal with the Spurs, but if they don't see another way of losing their center without compensation, they might. I don't get the interest from the Spurs themselves, but trying to pick up pieces with that cap space might work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if there's a way to use the cap space to help someone in the contender range get Ayton. Not sure whether Phoenix would deal with the Spurs, but if they don't see another way of losing their center without compensation, they might. I don't get the interest from the Spurs themselves, but trying to pick up pieces with that cap space might work.
    If we don’t blow our load on stupid contracts like Walker and this summer’s version of McDougal this is probably our best opportunity to allocate capital - facilitating for others in an environment where cap space is limited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha agreed but it’s more just a reality knowing Ayton probably isn’t on our radar given recent developments and yeah he would be the second best player but that is because we are easily in the conversation of least talented team in the league not because he is anything special. I personally could give a fk about character if they can show up on game day. Spurs culture BS has gone waaaaayyyyy too far in recent years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm, earlier I was thinking if there would be any interest in Phoenix and Utah swapping centers but then I recalled Gobert makes almost $10MM more than Ayton will and Sarver doesn't want the tax hit. Maybe fashion something around that?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will also be delicious to see Sarver have to match a max offer on a player who now clearly feels a certain way, while paying a massive tax bill that could result in him potentially waiving Paul next summer. That, or see him have to let Ayton walk for peanuts, a generational player that he took over Luka who just beat his ass in one of the most embarrassing Game 7s ever.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can't sit on their hands on draft day and do nothing with trades like they've done in recent years.

They have draft pick trade assets and should be aggressively looking to deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will also be delicious to see Sarver have to match a max offer on a player who now clearly feels a certain way, while paying a massive tax bill that could result in him potentially waiving Paul next summer. That, or see him have to let Ayton walk for peanuts, a generational player that he took over Luka who just beat his ass in one of the most embarrassing Game 7s ever.
    Paul is fully guaranteed next year and 15mm for 2023-24. There is no chance he is waived.

Ayton is an RFA and will garner something decent in return if they chose to go another route.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do y'all think about Mitc Robinson as a FA target?
    IMO, Robinson is better, and would cheaper, than Ayton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do y'all think about Mitc Robinson as a FA target?
    IMO, Robinson is better, and would cheaper, than Ayton.
    Ayton is a legit 2 way center. Not Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not character, it’s the Aldridge/DeRozan syndrome.
    Ayton does not play like them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton does not play like them
    It’s more the $25-30M treadmill player(s).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s more the $25-30M treadmill player(s).
    true Spurs fans would much rather have 2 older bench players who earn 12-15 million each per year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true Spurs fans would much rather have 2 older bench players who earn 12-13 million per year each
    haha seriously. Spurstalk will support McDermott’s deal and co-sign trading a first and Zollins for Harrison Barnes for a combed 25mm but puke at Lavine as he doesn’t make us a contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about being a contender. It's about getting better. You don't just sit there waiting for a mega star. There's 28 spots between 1 and 30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs really don't need anything major and drastic... we should keep what we have but we desperately need an athletic big. thats all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about being a contender. It's about getting better. You don't just sit there waiting for a mega star. There's 28 spots between 1 and 30.
    no according to spurstalk it's about winning a le and if you don't have a top 5 player you can't win a le so improving is pointless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm alright with the #9 pick in this year's draft. I don't think there's a franchise cornerstone in this one. Hoping the Spurs stand pat with arguably the least talented roster in the league and draft Sochan or Dieng depending on which has the higher BBIQ. Don't make too many aggressive roster additions and we're guaranteed to be back in the Lottery in 2023.

Hoping they'll trade out of this year's draft with picks 20, 25, and 38 and try to bank assets toward next year's Draft -- The Year of Wembanyama. That's the guy I want. Beneath him -- much deeper draft than this year's, and even if the Spurs don't finish in the top 4 of next year's draft, the free agency pool is muuuuuch more interesting than this year's (for example, Joker will be age 28 and an Unrestricted Free Agent in that one).

If we don't screw up this next season by squeezing into the Play-In, we've got a shot for next year's Lottery to be our last for a long time. Gotta get a franchise cornerstone first though, and that won't be 'til next season's draft or free agency period at the earliest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm alright with the #9 pick in this year's draft. I don't think there's a franchise cornerstone in this one. Hoping the Spurs stand pat with arguably the least talented roster in the league and draft Sochan or Dieng depending on which has the higher BBIQ. Don't make too many aggressive roster additions and we're guaranteed to be back in the Lottery in 2023.

Hoping they'll trade out of this year's draft with picks 20, 25, and 38 and try to bank assets toward next year's Draft -- The Year of Wembanyama. That's the guy I want. Beneath him -- much deeper draft than this year's, and even if the Spurs don't finish in the top 4 of next year's draft, the free agency pool is muuuuuch more interesting than this year's (for example, Joker will be age 28 and an Unrestricted Free Agent in that one).

If we don't screw up this next season by squeezing into the Play-In, we've got a shot for next year's Lottery to be our last for a long time. Gotta get a franchise cornerstone first though, and that won't be 'til next season's draft or free agency period at the earliest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is giving up their chance at Wembanyama, and if the Spurs didn't tank now, they sure as won't do it next year. The best chance at Wembanyama is an early and awful Dejounte injury that would have us 9/10 with a 20% chance at him, tops. Not likely and not worth it, so we might as well make the most out of what we have if we like what's available. If not, then yes, trade, but I don't think this draft is worse than the next in the late first round, which is where our extra picks are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is giving up their chance at Wembanyama, and if the Spurs didn't tank now, they sure as won't do it next year. The best chance at Wembanyama is an early and awful Dejounte injury that would have us 9/10 with a 20% chance at him, tops. Not likely and not worth it, so we might as well make the most out of what we have if we like what's available. If not, then yes, trade, but I don't think this draft is worse than the next in the late first round, which is where our extra picks are.
    Completely agree that the Spurs won't tank, if tanking means purposely losing games. That's for sure. But they won't need to tank if they stick with the current roster. There's no one on this team that creates a mismatch game after game. Solid role players across the board but certainly no dawgs who can lead a team to four wins in a 7-game series, much less a championship. But in 2023, that can change. So I'm hoping they stockpile capital and assets toward that.

Thread Information