Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a run... what a run... I look forward to seeing where this team can go. There is definitely something to work with. Lots of sign and trade opportunities, free agent opportunities, or just start playing the youth movement more, (we ac ulated a lot of late-rising talent and have another lottery pick to work with and they made sure to keep high-character guys in the locker room. Well done job.

Also, I’m one hundred percent sure Pop doesn’t care about the personal accolades some people here thought he might have been chasing. Let’s see what happens though. If it’s true, announcement should be made sooner rather than later to prepare for offseason. Maybe day after finals is done?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It probably won't be made official until after the Olympics.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be sad when it happens.

But also, he's been put in a terrible position this year and even last year.

What should be a pleasant twilight where he can be the figurehead and have quality, experienced assistants doing the heavy lifting has become the total opposite. Instead of just teaching the young players, Pop is also forced to teach the young assistants, and that's something I've posted before is just a bad idea.

There's no experience on the bench outside of Becky's modest half-decade. Those dudes are young enough to be Pop's grandchildren and have never done anything else. Last year he at least had Duncan to pass the time with. This is who, Songalia as the former player turned assistant? Why would Pop care about him?

I've long wanted there to be another old guy to just be there for Pop, someone he could relate to and commiserate with, to be a sounding board. Not these freckle faces who are a year away from being unpaid interns.

And what must have made it so much worse during this pandemic season is that there were no more dinners at home or on the road with other coaches and players he's known throughout the years. Just having to sit in a hotel room, alone.

If there was a way to drive him away from coaching, this season's situation with covid and the assistants was probably the most likely way to do it.

I don't think he minds the young players, he probably likes teaching them. But having to teach coaches?

If Pop does come back next year, I sure hope they add some people to bench with experience and a long relationship with Pop to make it as enjoyable as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    prayingdog.jpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't tease me ... when he says he's done, I'll believe it. But, if he's done, he's done completely ... off the bench, out of the front office. Turn the damn page. If Becky is hired, she chooses her assistants. She runs the show. Personally, I'd let Hardy walk regardless. Everytime Pop didn't coach, Becky should have been given the reigns with no hesitation. POP did her no favors, and honestly 'disrespected' her by not showing she was in the #2 chair.

If Becky isn't hired, Kenny Atkinson, head assistant to Monty Williams in Phoenix would be my call. He turned around Brooklyn, he can teach young teams, they play hard for him, his teams play defense, shoot 3s and share the ball. He understands player development, and crafting a scheme to maximize the talent. The Suns made a great hire bringing him onto their staff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no to D'Antoni......

I'm not sure that Stevenson or McMillan would be available, but either would definitely be a good hire.
    I don’t understand the Dantoni hate. I would get it if we were a contender but the dude is a good coach and can take you to the playoffs. Imagine the 10th seed ing bc they got a playoff choking coach like Mike. We weren’t even close to the playoffs and with a young team full of athletes, I think Dantoni system would be great for us

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    If Becky becomes the coach will this be the second or thrid time in history that you'd want to an NBA coach? Becky...Riley...??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If pop is gone Spurs would lean toward the replacement being internal, someone familiar with the young players, their personalities, how they’ve developed and what the long term goals are.
    Yeah, I suspect Hammon would be the leader in the clubhouse.

Don't tease me ... when he says he's done, I'll believe it. But, if he's done, he's done completely ... off the bench, out of the front office. Turn the damn page. If Becky is hired, she chooses her assistants. She runs the show. Personally, I'd let Hardy walk regardless. Everytime Pop didn't coach, Becky should have been given the reigns with no hesitation. POP did her no favors, and honestly 'disrespected' her by not showing she was in the #2 chair.

If Becky isn't hired, Kenny Atkinson, head assistant to Monty Williams in Phoenix would be my call. He turned around Brooklyn, he can teach young teams, they play hard for him, his teams play defense, shoot 3s and share the ball. He understands player development, and crafting a scheme to maximize the talent. The Suns made a great hire bringing him onto their staff.
    Atkinson is an assistant with the Clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't tease me ... when he says he's done, I'll believe it. But, if he's done, he's done completely ... off the bench, out of the front office. Turn the damn page.
    Man, Spurs fans can be a weird bunch. "I won't be satisfied until all the championship knowledge is purged from this team. If he has any connection to anything positive, he needs to be jettisoned ASAP "

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    @mospur02 can u confirm what ive been told that brian wright is being replaced as well...........

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @mospur02 can u confirm what ive been told that brian wright is being replaced as well...........
    Haven’t asked about him or heard anything about him. Sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is true, one of the true statesmen of our time will be calling it a day in the NBA. Pop will still be around basketball ...so that is good. Folks here dont fully understand how much of an ins ution builder Pop has been. Almost every team in the NBA has benefitted or sought to learn from the Spurs way. I just hope he goes to the hall of fame with Manu next year. Wouldn't that be poetic?

If Pop leaves, the Spurs must look for a clear change in emphasis in coaching, in its front office too. They won't be getting FAs now who will just want to play for Pop or for the revered Spurs organisation. Brian Wright and co..must play a more active role in the market besides scouting for a coach with modern ideas.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna be an interesting off-season. Both Bud and Brad might be available when it comes to coaching. Nate McMillan might be an interesting hire as well. Would love to have Dantoni as our coach. There’s many good candidates out there
    We CANNOT bring on Dantoni.

We troll Dantoni. We don't hire him.

I don't want things to change THAT much lol

I don’t understand the Dantoni hate. I would get it if we were a contender but the dude is a good coach and can take you to the playoffs. Imagine the 10th seed ing bc they got a playoff choking coach like Mike. We weren’t even close to the playoffs and with a young team full of athletes, I think Dantoni system would be great for us
    For me, it's alot about history and Spurs lore. It'd be like if Kobe had played for us. Some things just shouldn't be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We CANNOT bring on Dantoni.

We troll Dantoni. We don't hire him.

I don't want things to change THAT much lol

For me, it's alot about history and Spurs lore. It'd be like if Kobe had played for us. Some things just shouldn't be.
    Yeah I get that but it’s not like he ever really beat us. I think Pop is like 5-0 against him. But I think Mike works wonders with youth and teams that don’t have championship aspirations. He also does really well with athletes, fast breaks, and the 3 point ball. I just think he would be a good coach for what we have roster wise and to move into the modern NBA. I also wouldn’t mind Alvin Gentry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D’Antoni is 70 years old. C’mon now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for this thread, it better not be a troll.

That “teaser” thread le is not the kind of thing you usually see on honest news.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pray the Bucks get bounced so Bud comes in. Otherwise this team is ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder the interest of Tony Parker would be as our head coach. He does have two very young children and seems to be enjoying retirement on Instagram. My money will still be on Becky nevertheless. If they hire anyone outside of the organization I can see Udoka getting an interview and being one of the finalists at least.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I get that but it’s not like he ever really beat us. I think Pop is like 5-0 against him. But I think Mike works wonders with youth and teams that don’t have championship aspirations. He also does really well with athletes, fast breaks, and the 3 point ball. I just think he would be a good coach for what we have roster wise and to move into the modern NBA. I also wouldn’t mind Alvin Gentry
    I second Alvin Gentry.

Yes!

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, Spurs fans can be a weird bunch. "I won't be satisfied until all the championship knowledge is purged from this team. If he has any connection to anything positive, he needs to be jettisoned ASAP "
    Spurs fans have been begging for him to be fired for 21 years. Some things just stay the same ����

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I second Alvin Gentry.

Yes!

Jesus Christ no

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

not happening

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Sir Alex Ferguson retired, he chose the coach to take United on, David Moyes. He lasted one year. I hope the selection process is seperate from Pop's departure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What picture of Pop sitting alone is OP referring to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D’Antoni is 70 years old. C’mon now.
    This. I don't understand wanting to replace our old coach with another old one (who doesn't even believe in defense).

Thread Information