Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most likely scenario standing-wise if Durant stayed was going to be

1. GSW
    2. SAS/OKC
    3. SAS/OKC

This meant SAS was going to have to beat both OKC and GSW (both possibly on the road, too). Now, they "only" have to worry about GSW. IMO, statically speaking, SAS chances of making the WCF increased which is necessary for winning the le, obviously.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This doesn't make any sense. The chance of reaching the WCF increased but the le chances absolutely decreased.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. GSW
    2. SAS/OKC
    3. SAS/OKC

This meant SAS was going to have to beat both OKC and GSW (both possibly on the road, too). Now, they "only" have to worry about GSW. IMO, statically speaking, SAS chances of making the WCF increased which is necessary for winning the le, obviously.
    But I like your optimism!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This doesn't make any sense. The chance of reaching the WCF increased but the le chances absolutely decreased.
    This doesn't necessarily make the OP false, IMO.

- depends on much more difficult you think beating GSW is going to be;
    - don't underestimate the value of an increased likelihood of getting to the WCF
    Last edited by ParadoxEN; 07-04-2016 at 10:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome back op. One of the best posters in spurstlak

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This doesn't necessarily make the OP false, IMO.

- depends on much more difficult you think beating GSW is going to be;
    - don't underestimate the value of an increased likelihood of getting to the WCF
    This. Just being in the WCF gives you a better shot to win. What if Golden State sustains an injury? Lots of things can happen. When there is only one other team to worry about it becomes much easier. Also I think we need to try and get the 1 seed this year. Especially if the Durant project starts off rocky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Just being in the WCF gives you a better shot to win. What if Golden State sustains an injury? Lots of things can happen. When there is only one other team to worry about it becomes much easier. Also I think we need to try and get the 1 seed this year. Especially if the Durant project starts off rocky.
    GSW just basically doubled down on what they were already good at. I can see them having problems with certain teams. Also can see Curry fall off a bit from his ungodly shooting. No one can keep that up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This doesn't necessarily make the OP false, IMO.- depends on much more difficult you think beating GSW is going to be;-don't underestimate the value of an increased likelihood of getting to the WCF
    Our chances of beating the warriors in any round went from in these scenarios

In my guess: OKC gets durant: 30%
    SAS gets durant: 85%.
    GSW gets durant: 0.1%
    Nonscientific of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol.man are you positive lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol.man are you positive lol
    You spelled stupid wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if what you are saying is they don't have to GO THROUGH a tough OKC team and then GSW then you are right, but GSW just got a lot tougher..... So their le chances actually decreased but WCF chances increased, which is not a le though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. GSW
    2. SAS/OKC
    3. SAS/OKC

All it takes is one slip on the court in one game by one person to change the entire landscape. That's why you want your team prepped to step up to the plate like Cleveland did with a semi-gimp Curry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas would say their chances increased just for the fact that there is 1 less team to contend with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' have about a 10% chance at the le IMO..that 10% is heavily predicated on a fluke incident, like Curry slipping on Montejunas' back sweat, which changed the landscape of this year's playoffs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if what you are saying is they don't have to GO THROUGH a tough OKC team and then GSW then you are right, but GSW just got a lot tougher..... So their le chances actually decreased but WCF chances increased, which is not a le though.
    Regardless. Even if we arent good enough think of it this way. Getting to the WCF is a great thing. Free agents will take notice, you will be regarded as an elite team that can be put over the top by another player. Also, we will be getting excellent playoff experience and we can build on that. And once again, you cant beat the Warriors unless you play them, as we found out this year. OKC was a major nemesis and now they are gone. Advantage Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game is still played with one basketball. If GS can figure that out then probably 2-3 championships over the next 5 seasons. As the Heat showed a few seasons back, these superstar combos aren't any guarantee of long term success.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' have about a 10% chance at the le IMO..that 10% is heavily predicated on a fluke incident, like Curry slipping on Montejunas' back sweat, which changed the landscape of this year's playoffs
    How so? He was completely 100% against OKC and the Cavs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless. Even if we arent good enough think of it this way. Getting to the WCF is a great thing. Free agents will take notice, you will be regarded as an elite team that can be put over the top by another player. Also, we will be getting excellent playoff experience and we can build on that. And once again, you cant beat the Warriors unless you play them, as we found out this year. OKC was a major nemesis and now they are gone. Advantage Spurs
    Damn right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All it takes is one slip on the court in one game by one person to change the entire landscape. That's why you want your team prepped to step up to the plate like Cleveland did with a semi-gimp Curry.
    That's the point, IMO. Besides the obvious benefits of increased odds at the WCF:

Easier road to WCF => less compe ive games => less minutes for key players before GSW (who were going to be difficult either way).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How so? He was completely 100% against OKC and the Cavs
    no..he couldn't get separation against anybody following his injury..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs should make Durant try to beat them by himself. Lock down Steph and Klay and let Parker and Durant go up and down the floor. The pressure on him not to lose games for GS would be so immense that I think he'd crack. And of course, you pound the out him if he plays the four, which is why I'm still hoping the Spurs find a way to keep Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs should make Durant try to beat them by himself. Lock down Steph and Klay and let Parker and Durant go up and down the floor. The pressure on him not to lose games for GS would be so immense that I think he'd crack. And of course, you pound the out him if he plays the four, which is why I'm still hoping the Spurs find a way to keep Diaw.
    I think Spurs did a decent job on Steph and Klay last season. It was always someone like Barnes, or Iggy, or Livingston beating us....now this season, Barnes/Iggy/Livingston is named Kevin Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs did a decent job on Steph and Klay last season. It was always someone like Barnes, or Iggy, or Livingston beating us....now this season, Barnes/Iggy/Livingston is named Kevin Durant.
    Indeed. And I think that's a good thing. This isn't about a role-player stepping up. This is about a star having to not choke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no..he couldn't get separation against anybody following his injury..
    Oh against the elite teams in the league? Color me shocked

Thread Information