Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The ACLU of Kentucky filed a motion in federal court Tuesday asking a judge to hold county clerk Kim Davis in contempt of court for failing to comply with the Supreme Court and issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

In court papers, the ACLU lawyers note that following the Supreme Court's order late Monday night, the plaintiffs in their case went to the Rowan County Clerk's office at 8 a.m. Tuesday to obtain a marriage license.

"Unfortunately , they were again denied by a deputy clerk who asserted that no marriage licenses would be issued," the ACLU said in a statement. The lawyers argue that Davis has "violated a definite and specific order" and that the Court is left "with no choice but to hold her in contempt."
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/politi...supreme-court/

Lower court enforced SCOTUS order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trainwreck2100

http://spectrum.suntimes.com/news/10...pe ion-stay/

The U.S. Supreme Court has denied Rowan County clerk Kim Davis’s request to have a stay on her refusal to issue marriage licenses while she sought an appeal on an earlier judge’s ruling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday a federal district judge sent Kim Davis, a Kentucky county clerk, to jail after she continued to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples even after the Supreme Court declined to stay the judge’s ruling ordering her to do so. Lyle Denniston covered the latest developments for this blog, with other commentary coming from Howard Wasserman in two posts at PrawfsBlawg, Steven Mazie for The Economist, and Robin Wilson at the Illinois Law Faculty Blog.
    http://www.scotusblog.com/

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that your article lists in the beginning that the aclu filed a motion, and that's different than her crime. She was ordered by a federal judge to give out marriage licenses this particular judge was not a member of SCOtuS. But besides all of that, you're posting the exact same thing we get it. However you said theat SCOTuS doesn't ....Contempt other stuff" paraphrasing. So what did SCOTuS do to her for her being in contempt. I'm not asking what SCOTuS did do put her in contempt I'm saying you made the claim you said it. So once again what did SCOTuS to to punish this lady.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah that was in my original reply to you, go look at it. You're the one who said it was wrong and now you're using it in you own defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah that was in my original reply to you, go look at it. You're the one who said it was wrong and now you're using it in you own defense
    Was SCOTUS directly involved with Kim Davis or not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that your article lists in the beginning that the aclu filed a motion, and that's different than her crime. She was ordered by a federal judge to give out marriage licenses this particular judge was not a member of SCOtuS. But besides all of that, you're posting the exact same thing we get it. However you said theat SCOTuS doesn't ....Contempt other stuff" paraphrasing. So what did SCOTuS do to her for her being in contempt. I'm not asking what SCOTuS did do put her in contempt I'm saying you made the claim you said it. So once again what did SCOTuS to to punish this lady.
    Wrong. Kim Davis asked for a stay from SCOTUS. SCOTUS said no you will do this. She ignores SCOTUS order. ACLU files in federal court for contempt and the lower court honors the SCOTUS decision and jails her.

Lower court didn't order her to do . SCOTUS had already done so twice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was SCOTUS directly involved with Kim Davis or not?
    Once again this is what you said
    You can sometimes get away with ignoring lower courts but SCOTUS doesn't put up with contempt of their decisions.
    So what did SCOTuS do to Davis to show that they "don't put up with contempt of their decisions" Oh that's right they did nothing as you so eloquently posted yourself in post number 202. Because some cases aren't fit for the supreme court. Davis's case was one of them, the Davis case is a case of ignoring a federal judge who ruled against her.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again this is what you said

So what did SCOTuS do to Davis to show that they "don't put up with contempt of their decisions" Oh that's right they did nothing as you so eloquently posted yourself in post number 202. Because some cases aren't fit for the supreme court. Davis's case was one of them, the Davis case is a case of ignoring a federal judge who ruled against her.
    The federal courts work together. You do not appeal directly to the supreme court you have to go up the food chain. SCOTUS rejected the stay after the feds started implementing SCOTUS' order. ACLU filed in federal court.

I know you want SCOTUS not involved but SCOTUS is directly instrumental in the process that brought Kim Davis to the clink.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The federal courts work together. You do not appeal directly to the supreme court you have to go up the food chain. SCOTUS rejected the stay after the feds started implementing SCOTUS' order. ACLU filed in federal court.

I know you want SCOTUS not involved but SCOTUS is directly instrumental in the process that brought Kim Davis to the clink.
    directly involved how

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    directly involved how
    They rejected her stay creating the basis for the contempt case. This should not be hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. Kim Davis asked for a stay from SCOTUS. SCOTUS said no you will do this. She ignores SCOTUS order. ACLU files in federal court for contempt and the lower court honors the SCOTUS decision and jails her.

Lower court didn't order her to do . SCOTUS had already done so twice.

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Rowan County, Ky., Clerk Kim Davis must issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite her personal beliefs.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/...nses/31563001/

looks like a lower court doing something to me i'm sorry let me check and see if he's a member of the SCOTuS.....oh wait he's not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you think the case was seen and her ass was in jail within two days of ACLU filing? You familiar with how a federal docket typically works?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They rejected her stay creating the basis for the contempt case. This should not be hard.
    Scotus also refuses stays for death row inmates. Are they the directly involved in that inmates execution? The court does that it's what they do it's part of their job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/...nses/31563001/

looks like a lower court doing something to me i'm sorry let me check and see if he's a member of the SCOTuS.....oh wait he's not
    Yeah I was wrong on that. Apparently that court had begun administering the SCOTUS order even before she asked for a stay. IOW the order of events was:

SCOTUS rules.
    Lower court enforces.
    Davis asks for stay.
    SCOTUS rejects.
    Davis ignores.
    ACLU files.
    Lower court enforces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you think the case was seen and her ass was in jail within two days of ACLU filing? You familiar with how a federal docket typically works?
    As I posted earlier a judge gave her an order and she refused it, that's what contempt is. Now what did SCOTuS do to show how they don't "put up with contempt of their decisions" besides in this case they doing nothing and leaving it up to the lower court to handle thier own business, because that's what they did

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scotus also refuses stays for death row inmates. Are they the directly involved in that inmates execution? The court does that it's what they do it's part of their job
    Of course they would be directly involved. They made a decision relating to the case.

Are they causative? No but in this case the SCOTUS rule was causative. That is the distinction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I posted earlier a judge gave her an order and she refused it, that's what contempt is. Now what did SCOTuS do to show how they don't "put up with contempt of their decisions" besides in this case they doing nothing and leaving it up to the lower court because that's what they did
    You just seem lost as to how the power structure of the court's works. The lower court is enforcing the SCOTUS order. Because it is a SCOTUS order they are enforcing they can bring the hammer down with impunity. You kind of miss the point of what is going on here. They just fast tracked over 6 months of docket and immediately threw someone in jail.

District Judge David L. Bunning had issued the order to implement the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges after the state’s governor ordered all county clerks to give official permission to gay and lesbian couples to wed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I was wrong on that. Apparently that court had begun administering the SCOTUS order even before she asked for a stay. IOW the order of events was:

SCOTUS rules.
    Lower court enforces.
    Davis asks for stay.
    SCOTUS rejects.
    Davis ignores.
    ACLU files.
    Lower court enforces.
    That was obvious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just seem lost as to how the power structure of the court's works. The lower court is enforcing the SCOTUS order. Because it is a SCOTUS order they are enforcing they can bring the hammer down with impunity. You kind of miss the point of what is going on here. They just fast tracked over 6 months of docket and immediately threw someone in jail.

Did SCOTuS do that or did the lower court do that? How it works is court gives an order(in this case a judge in kentucky), you don't listen to order, you go to jail. That's contempt. She was ordered to do something by a federal judge and she didn't so she went to jail. Which happens everyday probably. Now what did the supreme court do to this lady besides say her case wasn't worth their time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you holding up hope that SCOTUS is going to reverse this or something?

I have no idea what your point is besides arguing minutiae. I don't see the lowers courts order as distinct from the SCOTUS order seeing that the lower court was implementing the SCOTUS order.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the are you two arguing about?

Oregon judge saw how lucrative this is gonna be for Kimmy Davis and has stopped marrying people. Should be fun watching the nutjobs come out of the woodwork.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oregon judge saw how lucrative this is gonna be for Kimmy Davis and has stopped marrying people. Should be fun watching the nutjobs come out of the woodwork.
    There's also that Tennessee judge who stopped divorcing people until the Supreme court outlines what a divorce

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a byproduct of how I troll. I go pedantic asshole and people desperately look to prove me wrong.

He sees the courts as distinct. I see the lower court implementing a SCOTUS order. Overall it's completely ing meaningless but this isn't about KY. This is about him desperately trying to win a point. Any point no matter how trivial frankly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a byproduct of how I troll. I go pedantic asshole and people desperately look to prove me wrong.

He sees the courts as distinct. I see the lower court implementing a SCOTUS order. Overall it's completely ing meaningless but this isn't about KY. This is about him desperately trying to win a point. Any point no matter how trivial frankly.
    Except for that part where you had to admit admit you were wrong. That was so obvious by your statement
    Last edited by Trainwreck2100; 09-05-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information