Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go back and read my statement.
    You are a disingenuous fool who rephrases every punishment L you take.
    Its got a hold of you and won’t let go.

You and the religion of man as a God and knowing everything. wut?
    I think you mixed this up with Christians creating God in their own image saying.

Got the emoticon.
    You are tender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not magic. Social distancing, masking, improved hand hygiene and sanitation have kicked the flu's ass this year.
    But not the china virus so masks then!

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=DMC;10443656][/QUOTE

do you know what it means to know everything?
    do I need to go back and show you where you claim science will bring us to this?
    This is a religion you have produced and you are the head God.

I like the picture, do those instead of emoticons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For any of those interested, and I know it’s in the wrong thread, I think this goofy host gets some very good experimental physicist to talk about their work and then opinions on theory. If you go to about the 40 minute mark, you will miss a lot of the background, but you will get a general sense that physicists are nowhere close and will never get anywhere close too fundamental equations that explain everything about our universe.

The experimental physicist in this podcast also brings up the fact that chemistry and biology kick the fundamental stuff to a much higher level and clearly make it impossible to know everything. There are many more podcasts like this with some physicist holding out hope but you can tell it’s a mess. And honestly what fun would it be knowing everything? That’s one of the cornerstones of my religion. My Christian friends who are in science claim that God has given us endless Christmas presents to keep opening; Yet never getting to the end of the packages. That’s cool with me, just stick to the endless question part.

https://lexfridman.com/harry-cliff/

I got many more but some do you have to listen to too much basic stuff to get to the theoretical that needs to be tested.

*or; crinkle trash*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've been backpedaling for a while now.

"We don't know everything ergo god" is an age old, well debunked argument. The more we know the less "god" there is. Why not just replace "god" with "the unknown" and stop calling it supernatural?

I know, comfort and all.

People all along the political spectrum deny science in favor of comfort. For some it's global warming science, for others its creation or evolution. You won't be successful trying to defend it if you're going to keep trying to use science as a standard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For any of those interested, and I know it’s in the wrong thread, I think this goofy host gets some very good experimental physicist to talk about their work and then opinions on theory. If you go to about the 40 minute mark, you will miss a lot of the background, but you will get a general sense that physicists are nowhere close and will never get anywhere close too fundamental equations that explain everything about our universe.

The experimental physicist in this podcast also brings up the fact that chemistry and biology kick the fundamental stuff to a much higher level and clearly make it impossible to know everything. There are many more podcasts like this with some physicist holding out hope but you can tell it’s a mess. And honestly what fun would it be knowing everything? That’s one of the cornerstones of my religion. My Christian friends who are in science claim that God has given us endless Christmas presents to keep opening; Yet never getting to the end of the packages. That’s cool with me, just stick to the endless question part.

https://lexfridman.com/harry-cliff/

I got many more but some do you have to listen to too much basic stuff to get to the theoretical that needs to be tested.

*or; crinkle trash*
    So you're not ok with "I don't know" and need a god to settle it? How is that remotely scientific?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're not ok with "I don't know" and need a god to settle it? How is that remotely scientific?
    Im okay with Christians saying I dont know AND believing in the supernatural. Thats not my way.
    Because religion and philosophy deal with moral and ethical questions for me (and even "what can we know" questions), which is a lot bigger deal for me when answering questions that deal with a wider range of questions. And I dont use religion to explain physical phenomena. Get it?

by saying you can understand everything using science, you stepped in it and went religious.
    Backpedaling... Your toes are vertically beneath your butt old man.
    "I dont know" is not in your language if you think we can know everything.

For me there will always be I dont knows in science as well, because science uses metaphors and analogies to try to explain phenomena like gravity that just dont work. "well, imagine a ball rolling down a hill" well you know what, things on the level of the very small are very large and far away cannot be explained by analogies used at our evolutionary level of understanding "size" and "time". ie its NOT at all "like a ball rolling down a hill", its like nothing like this at all, it can best be described by math. And then the math starts breaking down.
    Newton and Leibniz invent calculus. Its a method that explains instantaneous speed and later direction. And it opens up a can of worms. One of these creators saw it and said we can never understand God's world, the other said its so beautiful, its God's way of showing us the perfection of "his" world. And now more people get a charge out of using science to rip up other "silly" people who use the Bible to make physical predictions. (I profess guilt in this needling religious people but now I hold back). You obviously take on the notion that religion is an altogether stupid practice. And it is, when it tries to answer questions about PHYSICAL phenomena and say "God did it. the end."

I am saying science itself becomes a religion when people like you think it can solve all the questions we have. Which you did. You think, and this is using biological science as we know it, that an ape evolved for life on grassy plains scattered with trees, can solve all questions. I will admit we are rather special creatures in that we contemplate our own existence and have produced symbolic language that can be used to make analogies with our tiny part of the physical world. This is special. But we will know everything, with the questions we are able to ask...? no way. Thats a religion. The same type of religion you make fun of.
    Last edited by pgardn; 02-28-2021 at 09:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im okay with Christians saying I dont know AND believing in the supernatural. Thats not my way.
    Because religion and philosophy deal with moral and ethical questions for me (and even "what can we know" questions), which is a lot bigger deal for me when answering questions that deal with a wider range of questions. And I dont use religion to explain physical phenomena. Get it?

by saying you can understand everything using science, you stepped in it and went religious.
    Backpedaling... Your toes are vertically beneath your butt old man.
    "I dont know" is not in your language if you think we can know everything.

For me there will always be I dont knows in science as well, because science uses metaphors and analogies to try to explain phenomena like gravity that just dont work. "well, imagine a ball rolling down a hill" well you know what, things on the level of the very small are very large and far away cannot be explained by analogies used at our evolutionary level of understanding "size" and "time". ie its NOT at all "like a ball rolling down a hill", its like nothing like this at all, it can best be described by math. And then the math starts breaking down.
    Newton and Leibniz invent calculus. Its a method that explains instantaneous speed and later direction. And it opens up a can of worms. One of these creators saw it and said we can never understand God's world, the other said its so beautiful, its God's way of showing us the perfection of "his" world. And now more people get a charge out of using science to rip up other "silly" people who use the Bible to make physical predictions. (I profess guilt in this needling religious people but now I hold back). You obviously take on the notion that religion is an altogether stupid practice. And it is, when it tries to answer questions about PHYSICAL phenomena and say "God did it. the end."

I am saying science itself becomes a religion when people like you think it can solve all the questions we have. Which you did. You think, and this is using biological science as we know it, that an ape evolved for life on grassy plains scattered with trees, can solve all questions. I will admit we are rather special creatures in that we contemplate our own existence and have produced symbolic language that can be used to make analogies with our tiny part of the physical world. This is special. But we will know everything, with the questions we are able to ask...? no way. Thats a religion. The same type of religion you make fun of.
    no. You wish. That's like calling atheism a religion and bald a hairstyle.

No idea about the rest of the you're mumbling about. ing internet experts, always trying to impress people with a sermon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no. You wish. That's like calling atheism a religion and bald a hairstyle.

No idea about the rest of the you're mumbling about. ing internet experts, always trying to impress people with a sermon.
    No its not "like" that at all. An absolutely ridiculous simile.
    A sermon smart asses "like" you who think you know it all like you beg for.
    We can and will know it all... gtfoh... old fart
    That is absolutely a religion. The religion of human hubris.

And you still cant understand religion serves questions of ethics and morals.
    I guess that's why you consider yourself a badass. "anyone who is religious is a coward who wants a forever"
    Sure thing old man begging for simplicity. Your religion condemns forever. Thanks. You have made a giant leap for man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can somebody net this out for me, two atheists are big-timing religion, is that right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can somebody net this out for me, two atheists are big-timing religion, is that right?
    I gotta be called agnostic I’m thinking.
    Who thinks it’s very clear we can’t know everything.
    It also should be noted that DMC thinks science overthetop powerful.
    Without knowing the history of OUR struggles to explain the most fundamental things in the universe. When we step it up to chemistry and biology.... I guess we will live forever and or know the exact moment of our death? We will eventually get to that at this rate.

I also believe that religion and philosophy have been very important in creating moral and ethical standards that are important. “Don’t kill people, that’s not good”. Sounds reasonable. Please continue...
    The basic human condition of envy love hate wanting to see other people suffer has not changed that much based on past writings. Many people are raised in some sort of religious environment. The part that seems to stick is ethical and moral. I think this is important. I also think it’s silly to call all people who believe in a god or gods cowards who are afraid to die.
    IMO this all started because the questions that people ask cannot all be answered using science. There are answers that people don’t like so they consider the questions you ill-founded in the first place. So the questions that cannot be answered by the method science are worthless questions. I don’t believe this to be true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the whole thing is kind of silly.
    I just happen to think a whole lot about science and how it is misunderstood.

An atheist and an agnostic walk into a bar... The bar clears out.
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-01-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Thread Information