Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    troll account

Can't you just hand this account to TDMVPDPOY. this board needs more unique personalities
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sign hanga instead of danny (trade him).
    never sign teodosic. he is loser.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holding out is not the way to go, if you're a second-tier player who really needs to get paid to secure his future. If he was one of the most sought-after FA's of the season, sure. But you're right, he needs to jump on a good package early, and not chance having to settle for a 1-year deal somewhere.
    As I just said to SR21, I mean that Simmons would literally have to sign at midnight to screw the Spurs. If he signs at 12:30a.m., the team would likely be fine. I don't think it's normal at all for midnight signings for mid- to lower-tier guys. You expect them to fly in, get their physical and stuff first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gotta go for Ginobili in a PG body.
    Best winning mentality player on the market.
    He could be had for 3-4 million year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gotta go for Ginobili in a PG body.
    Best winning mentality player on the market.

nice..

let's populate our Guard Rotation with Players under 6'0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's go for Campazzo so we can see another taqueria thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol's on the team. I'm not paying to move him if I'm the Spurs. And I don't even think I am inclined to use cap space on a PG. They simply need to stay over the cap from here on out. I can understand not wanting Teodosic (even though this was always going to be his contract range), but the team needs to realistically address its guard issues.
    I just don't see that your take makes the team better.
    Maybe that is bc I don't know Teodosic much other than hype and I am not hyped about him at that price/3 years.
    I have been disappointed on Gasol.
    I don't see you acknowledge the possibility Millls and Simmons are not both affordable. Simmons has proven more valuable than Gasol in some series/games so to not acknowledge conflicts in retaining all these dudes $ doesn't paint a realistic picture to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people are reading too much into Dedmon's demotion. With the need to up Aldridge's minutes and play small some against the Rockets/Warriors, either Lee or Dedmon was going to get squeezed and in typical Pop fashion, he went with the veteran over the playoff neophyte (to be fair, they needed as much offense as possible).

I think they want Dedmon to be the starting center going forward. Next season, if re-signed, he'll be in his second season as a Spur, be making the MLE and Lee will be gone, all of which will guarantee a rotation spot throughout.
    I'd like for this to be true.
    Though this is probably wishful thinking... but I was hoping Dedmon bet on his improvement after an offseason and having spent time in the system.
    Others here have said he's likely gone.
    It's hard to tell. If he wanted to come back, I'd like him back for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. I don't think Simmons is going to be a high priority for many teams. There are a lot of big FA's this year, and quite a few of them are legitimately in play. I just can't see him getting a really fat offer sheet during the moratorium, or as a first move after it's lifted. I'm sure the Spurs would like to have him back at a reasonable price, and I expect they will offer him a reasonable price (but not fat) up front. The real question is whether him and/or his agent think it's a good idea to hold out and wait for something better. I think it would be really dumb for Simmons, given his place in the league pecking order. Maybe he could score a better deal by waiting. But he could wind up screwing himself really easily. He needs a three year deal now that sets him for the future. A 1-year deal could be a disaster if he has a bad year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice..

let's populate our Guard Rotation with Players under 6'0

What population? Mills is as good as gone, Parker wonīt be here, you have Murray and nothing else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's go for Campazzo so we can see another taqueria thread.
    Thatīs the spirit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its also in his interest to sign earlier before market dries up/funds run out... especially if he plays himself into a good sized deal
    heh
    Even Cory Joseph got a quick deal that summer that Aldridge was signed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone said that there was a tweet or article stating Dedmon was unhappy with the Spurs' culture earlier in the season. So I'm not sure. I think he'd really need a good plan to stay on. Dude's also going to be 28 and may only have this one contract to set himself up. I think the full MLE is more than fair (would like the third year to be partially guaranteed and the fourth completely non-guaranteed), but I could see a team offering $50M/3 easily trying to get their Moreyball center.
    The only thing I could think of, would be that they might disapprove of his emotional outbursts and may have even went so far as to attempt to quell them. Despite that, he strikes me as more of a Spur than Simmons.

Even if true, they still check all boxes generally most important to players, so unless someone offers appreciably more than the MLE, I've got to think he'd be inclined to stay.

If not, then turn to Reed, who's of the same ilk and expected to come cheaper.

I'd like for this to be true.
    Though this is probably wishful thinking... but I was hoping Dedmon bet on his improvement after an offseason and having spent time in the system.
    Others here have said he's likely gone.
    It's hard to tell. If he wanted to come back, I'd like him back for sure.
    It's probably 50/50, but people pull this chicken little act with virtually every prospective Spurs free agent of any consequence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol has been pretty damn good off the bench. That's too much to pay for a bench big, but the money is already committed. He's got at least another year at this level, playing against other bench bigs. I can't imagine the Spurs just dumping him, only to get another player of (hopefully) the same level. And if he's really as bad as you're saying, why would any team give full contract value for him?

I think he's pretty close to inevitable next year. The big question is whether the Spurs can score a C who is good enough to be a legit starter.
    He was paid that much to be a starter, not to be a 6th man so he's definitely overpaid. And now the Spurs have to pay others in addition to him so it gets crowded and difficult $-wise.

In the playoffs, when the Spurs have to play smaller lineups more he's not even giving full value. I wasn't in agreement with the singing initially bc I saw precisely the outcome we are having. Spurs cannot play all their "alleged" best players together at the same time. Also, in the Grizz series Pau was getting benched for Lee. In the Rockets series Pau had maybe 2 or 3 good games, the rest of the games JSimms was a lot more impactful and ate minutes. In the GSW game (the only one we have to go by) Pau was the worst player on the court the last game and for the season, he didn't play well against GSW in general. I have issues with that for sure. If he's going to be a good regular season player exclusively he's not worth that much to me.

Things being what they are though, Spurs may just have to live with it, but he has not lived up to his contract and his sizable contract may prevent other moves or potential improvements to the roster (or even reupping guys the team currently has).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was paid that much to be a starter, not to be a 6th man so he's definitely overpaid. And now the Spurs have to pay others in addition to him so it gets crowded and difficult $-wise.

In the playoffs, when the Spurs have to play smaller lineups more he's not even giving full value. I wasn't in agreement with the singing initially bc I saw precisely the outcome we are having. Spurs cannot play all their "alleged" best players together at the same time. Also, in the Grizz series Pau was getting benched for Lee. In the Rockets series Pau had maybe 2 or 3 good games, the rest of the games JSimms was a lot more impactful and ate minutes. In the GSW game (the only one we have to go by) Pau was the worst player on the court the last game and for the season, he didn't play well against GSW in general. I have issues with that for sure. If he's going to be a good regular season player exclusively he's not worth that much to me.

Things being what they are though, Spurs may just have to live with it, but he has not lived up to his contract and his sizable contract may prevent other moves or potential improvements to the roster (or even reupping guys the team currently has).
    I think that Gasol isnīt such a bad contract, while he sucked in part, he was effective in a role for half the season, and his contract while overpaid, is not attrocious, he could be a very good trade bait in case he opts in. And is a contract that can get you some interesting players, a 16 million expiring contract of a serviceable player is usually a very, VERY, tradeable asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I could think of, would be that they might disapprove of his emotional outbursts and may have even went so far as to attempt to quell them. Despite that, he strikes me as more of a Spur than Simmons.

Even if true, they still check all boxes generally most important to players, so unless someone offers appreciably more than the MLE, I've got to think he'd be inclined to stay.

If not, then turn to Reed, who's of the same ilk and expected to come cheaper.

It's probably 50/50, but people pull this chicken little act with virtually every prospective Spurs free agent of any consequence.
    I seem to remember Dedmon's comment was not about the Spurs organization or the players, but rather about the lifestyle in San Antonio not being to his prefernce.. maybe he needed to adjust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's no good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take it with a grain of salt. That's not Chinooks strength tbh... Apparently he still thinks Murrays future is at SG ( go figure).

His strength is in the CBA.
    Mills isn't a PG. Murray isn't a SG. But Mills is smaller than Murray so may play okay together on crossmatches.

Gasol isn't going anywhere, and if he opts out the Spurs may be worse off. They'll be at the cap if not slightly over when taking into account Mills' cap hold (and Simmons' for that matter which is small). Even if Dedmon and Lee fall off the books by signing elsewhere (both have cheap holds) it'd be hard to create lots of cap space. Very likely they operate over the cap and only have the MLE. As I mentioned elsewhere, Spurs could still flip the Gasol salary to bring someone else back in.

Chinook, wouldn't the MLE need to be used on Simmons or does Early Bird obviate the need for this?

Only theoretical way would be if Gasol does opt out wanting a longer deal - though will be hard to find for that money. In that case, Spurs could open near max cap space by stretching/moving Parker (only happening if he's not playing next year).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was speaking in terms of shooting potential. Manu's mechanics is suspect if he was rookie a today.

I'm saying his shooting mechanics makes it a bit more difficult to believe he can improve it to around 37% at a decent volume.
    Manu was already a good three pt shooter when he got to the Spurs, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His cap hold is so small that pretty much any scenario can include keeping him. Mills is medium because the team has his Bird rights. Dedmon will likely take cap space, which means letting a lot of players go. Huge opportunity cost there.
    No idea of what you just said, tbh.

I'm just gonna say that I wouldn't commit to Simmons long term, dude has a pretty low ceiling, imho. His lack of shooting will get old very fast, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather have Teodosic at 8 than Mills at 10

Start Murray, Teodosic as backup and third guard.

For those asking about Hanga, he'll be good as a wing that should be able to switch on anything, with length.

That's what they need in the new NBA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather have Teodosic at 8 than Mills at 10

Start Murray, Teodosic as backup and third guard.

For those asking about Hanga, he'll be good as a wing that should be able to switch on anything, with length.

That's what they need in the new NBA
    What if Hill wants to come back to SA so bad that he's willing to sign for the MLE?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What you said was that you don't even want him on the team. He's a damn good backup C. The problem isn't whether to have him on the team, it's that he's getting paid too much for a backup big man. But... like I already said... the money is already spent. Try and ditch him, and you wind up in even worse shape.

And, yeah, it's going to be difficult $-wise. You guys are going to start to get a taste of exactly where I said they would be at this time, back in pre-season when I said they needed to take one year to re-build. Now they're in cap , with seriously aging assets and a big contract on a backup center.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more soft Euros or white Americans. We need players from the hood like Kawhi and Simmons, players that are tough and athletic. Not inferior races.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you said was that you don't even want him on the team. He's a damn good backup C. The problem isn't whether to have him on the team, it's that he's getting paid too much for a backup big man. But... like I already said... the money is already spent. Try and ditch him, and you wind up in even worse shape.

And, yeah, it's going to be difficult $-wise. You guys are going to start to get a taste of exactly where I said they would be at this time, back in pre-season when I said they needed to take one year to re-build. Now they're in cap , with seriously aging assets and a big contract on a backup center.
    A back up big is Davis and Dedmon. He's paid like a starter and a near star.
    Anyways, as you said the money is spent, but it wasn't well spent.
    ... they may need to face reality in rebuilding bc I think Manu retires, Tony is doubtful and the rest of the guys they have are roleplayers and 4 of them need to get paid. (lee, Dedmon, Mills and JSimms.) To even bring this same crew back.. they can't afford them.
    I will be here through thick and thin supporting the team. But I do dislike them making moves for guys well past their expiration date when Kawhi's supporting cast already included a lot of guys past their due date. ah well. I don't know what they can do at this point.

Thread Information