Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interesting, seems like has improved a lot from his Phoenix days. I always thought he was worth taking a flier on and he's certainly better than Eubanks, but I can't get over the broken leg thing.
    I think players who had the same injury, fractured tibia (or worse) are the following:

Gordon Hayward
    Paul George
    Shaun Livingston
    Julius Randle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think players who had the same injury, fractured tibia (or worse) are the following:

Gordon Hayward
    Paul George
    Shaun Livingston
    Julius Randle
    you can definitely recover from it, but it takes a while. But why sign him when he's on an expiring with a broken leg? Do they want to resign him? I'm curious to see if they will let him walk or maybe offer him a 2-way deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can definitely recover from it, but it takes a while. But why sign him when he's on an expiring with a broken leg? Do they want to resign him? I'm curious to see if they will let him walk or maybe offer him a 2-way deal
    Not sure, but from the little I've seen, he seems close to ideal to what we want from the backup C position provided he makes a full recovery. The guy can shoot 3s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knew nothing about this guy, so read around a little bit. I understand it was a money transaction, but is there truly no chance for him to sign with the Spurs next season? Some Warriors fans seem genuinely pissed that their team let him go. Really wondering why as I thought he was just some end of the bench scrub. They apparently want their team to sign him again (one suggested a 3 year deal) when he becomes a free agent. I'm sitting here and asking myself why?
    Chriss jumps high and does cool dunks so he has his fans. Just like there were Spurs fans up in arms when the Spurs let go of James White and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. I wouldn't put too much stock in that, tbh.

For the record, I wouldn't be upset if the Spurs re-sign him. He's young and his elite athleticism makes him more interesting than a typical end of the bench project.

That said, I wouldn't go much higher than a minimum contract to sign him. He's been a hugely negative impact player so far in his career. Chriss was a spectacular bust for a Suns team that traded a whole lot to get him. Low basketball IQ and poor work ethic nearly caused him to fall out of the league completely. Sure, there's a chance that he matures and becomes a useful player ... but do I want the Spurs spending salary cap space on him? No, not unless they get desperate and can sign him to a one-year deal. A high end outcome for him would be something like a JaVale McGee career arc -- but he'd have to do a whole lot of maturing to reach even that level. And even then, an athleticism-based backup center isn't even that valuable nowadays.

Would the Spurs actually look to re-sign him? I just don't see it. If Pop got mad at Davis Bertans for sticking up for a teammate, imagine what they think of antics like this ...

Low basketball IQ, poor work ethic, noted hothead, pouter ... that's a lot to overlook.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read his draft bio a couple of positive things:
    1. One of the youngest guys drafted
    2. Super athletic has a quick step faster then most players
    3. Can score in the paint and mid range and has a good 3 ball stroke

The Bad:
    1. Didn’t start playing basketball until 14
    2. Fouls A lot was disqualified 15 of 34 game’s
    3. One of the worst rebounders to go this high in the last 30 years
    4. Never boxes out
    5. To emotional and can take plays off

Before he was drafted an article came out saying “ Biggest Gamble” as he could go from 5 to 22 in first round

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ timvp - Yeah, I get Pop's reluctance with hot heads. But I like it. This current team can be ing soft. No one defended White (or Lonnie?) when that dirty looking asshole Cauley Stein pushed him while he was trying to land.

Just my guess but it seems the way the Spurs are trying to construct the roster is to put as minimal as possible cap spending on centers. Poeltl, Eubanks, then Chriss at $3 mil per year is about $18 mil total a year for that position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chriss jumps high and does cool dunks so he has his fans. Just like there were Spurs fans up in arms when the Spurs let go of James White and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. I wouldn't put too much stock in that, tbh.

For the record, I wouldn't be upset if the Spurs re-sign him. He's young and his elite athleticism makes him more interesting than a typical end of the bench project.

That said, I wouldn't go much higher than a minimum contract to sign him. He's been a hugely negative impact player so far in his career. Chriss was a spectacular bust for a Suns team that traded a whole lot to get him. Low basketball IQ and poor work ethic nearly caused him to fall out of the league completely. Sure, there's a chance that he matures and becomes a useful player ... but do I want the Spurs spending salary cap space on him? No, not unless they get desperate and can sign him to a one-year deal. A high end outcome for him would be something like a JaVale McGee career arc -- but he'd have to do a whole lot of maturing to reach even that level. And even then, an athleticism-based backup center isn't even that valuable nowadays.

Would the Spurs actually look to re-sign him? I just don't see it. If Pop got mad at Davis Bertans for sticking up for a teammate, imagine what they think of antics like this ...

Low basketball IQ, poor work ethic, noted hothead, pouter ... that's a lot to overlook.
    Yeah.. "Money trade". One of the worst non-moves that the Spurs have made in a long time ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow, what a scrub. Smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

James White!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did Chriss go from a salary dump save money move to actually becoming a part of spurs future?

I’m still in the group that thinks he’s nothing but the former.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did Chriss go from a salary dump save money move to actually becoming a part of spurs future?

I’m still in the group that thinks he’s nothing but the former.
    Pop even admitted it was a money transaction. Chriss will be kept on board because his contract is paid by insurance. He's supposedly a good guy off the court so they will probably allow him to travel with the team, etc., if he wants/can.

But to view Chriss as anything more than a money transaction is just hopeful thinking. Sure, there's a scenario in the universe where the Spurs fall in love with him off the court and make it a point to bring him back. But, in reality, he's just about the most un-Spur-like player in the league so expecting him to ever suit up is mostly fantasy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could have swore there's been relatively recent talk of his maturing (or at least pretending to once he realized he had fallen to the fringe of the league).

If he doesn't regain almost all athleticism his NBA career will be over in short order. And unlike McGee, who always had elite positional measurements to fall back on (7'1'' 270 7'6'' wingspan), he doesn't even have that going for him (6'9'' 250 7'0'' wingspan).

He'll probably have to compete for a spot on a roster in training camp. Couldn't hurt to take a look, but this team doesn't need another undersized center who can't shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people freaking over this? You cannot expect a for-profit organization (which the Spurs are), to pass on free money.

Chriss's salary is covered by insurance. The Spurs got paid. Cash considerations, could be up to $5 million. This is saving the warriors something on the order of 20 million in lux tax, see the table at the bottom here This. The warriors are $40M + over... if they can save $20M by paying $5M, they'll do it too.

Does it hurt the Spurs as a basketball team, NO. They still have a roster spot (LMA has been bought out) to check out D leaguer's and 10 day guys... And given LMA gave some money back, enough salary cap space to do something if they want to.
    and me thinking that the goal of a basketball team was to win basketball games, my mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and me thinking that the goal of a basketball team was to win basketball games, my mistake.
    that goal is long gone my friend. The Spurs now worry about people being nice guys or over 35 and almost out of the league to cutting them a paycheck because "class"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by Dejounte; 03-27-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Chriss has a chance to stay is mainly because of his good relationship with DJM...that could give him a chance to show what he can do. Word was he matured enough to become a decent nba contributor and for a reserve role that, plus his elite athleticism (if he recovers perfectly), could be enough. True that's only 6.9 but true too that for his athletic skills only he was a top ten draft pick...athletic talent is something you can't buy nor teach nor find so easily. And maybe he'sm still young enough to be coached in a way that could make him become a real player (if I remember correctly he started to play very late, at 14 years old...). Imho it all depends by him and his behavior...and willingness, from now on, to learn and work. If that's the case (and in thiis his relationship with DJM, if truly friendly, can contribute a lot for puting him in the right state of mind), he could have found the best place in NBA for becoming something comparable with nba draft expectations...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop even admitted it was a money transaction. Chriss will be kept on board because his contract is paid by insurance. He's supposedly a good guy off the court so they will probably allow him to travel with the team, etc., if he wants/can.

But to view Chriss as anything more than a money transaction is just hopeful thinking. Sure, there's a scenario in the universe where the Spurs fall in love with him off the court and make it a point to bring him back. But, in reality, he's just about the most un-Spur-like player in the league so expecting him to ever suit up is mostly fantasy.
    ummm Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Stephen Jackson. Pop was okay with them mixing it up in the good ol’ days. This team needs some raw... and not DDR getting t’d by throwing a little girl temper tantrum in the clutch. Like Mario Ellie, Jerome Kersey, Kevin Wills type guys who will mix it up. The whole Spurs character bullsh!t is overdone. Could care less if he ever suits up, but tired of this garbage of only good guys. They are paid to hoop not do community autograph signings at the local HEB and obligatory coffee runs with the fellas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’ll be like the Josh Huestis situation. Spurs will help him rehab and give him a tryout when he is ready. Maybe even go to our G-League team to get in shape.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm telling you, this was bad. If Chriss were a young but not good player like Kabengele, that would be one thing. If this trade came with some type of Bird rights, that would be one thing. If getting cash added to the amount of cash a team could send out in a subsequent trade, that would one thing. But there's literally no basketball benefit to doing this, and it will make it hard for the Spurs to replace LMA with another player. Remember, they could've used this spot/money on a prospect the whole year and chose not to. It's bad. It's not a nothingburger. The only hope is that this is a one-time thing and not how the FO is going to (be forced to?) run from now on.

oh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Spurs could keep Chriss in the building and rehab him and all that after waiving him. There's still not a basketball reason to do this trade. The "sniffer" point of view should be to just hope this was a one-off rather than trying to dress this trade up. It happened. Now we just have to try to move forward with the team.

It is a cash benefit trade. No doubt. You can argue it's bad for the culture. But it has not much effect basketball wise. Again not like there is an all star free agent out there that will sign with us.

And now with dieng spurs waive chris's. Collect the net cash. Done. So it's really not a big thing to be angry about

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a cash benefit trade. No doubt. You can argue it's bad for the culture. But it has not much effect basketball wise. Again not like there is an all star free agent out there that will sign with us.

And now with dieng spurs waive chris's. Collect the net cash. Done. So it's really not a big thing to be angry about
    It was absolute, top-level, vintage cliff-jumping from SpursTalk. I'm actually surprised my guy Chinook was so hot-headed on his take on this, before seeing how all the chips fell down.

Now the dust has settled - Spurs got extra money for doing GS a solid, still waived Chriss at the first chance (putting to bed the "insurance payout" theories) in order to make room for an actual FA that wanted to sign here over playing for contending teams, and which they managed to lure (further discrediting the -talking about inep ude so often directed at the FO nowadays). No impact to the "culture", no impact to the team (which came out with excellent energy last night), and the Spurs came out of the deadline/buyout market with an improved roster and addressing arguably the biggest hole the team had, especially after letting go of LMA.

It's still TBD how well Dieng will play for us, and how much we'll pay him for having chosen us as a FA. But one thing remains unarguable - the FO could've perfectly done nothing at all, and stayed put. This was a basketball winning move, and a damned good FA get in paper. So long to those theories about "for-profit organization" and penny pinching and whatever , but who am I kidding, trolls will be out of the woodworks any second now, once they manage to spin this into a negative move...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs unable to waive Chriss combined with Aldridge only giving back $2.7 million would make this the worst trade deadline in Spurs history. Holy is that bad
    OMG, sounds like the Spurs can't waive him. The source was right
    Turning into the phoenix suns without the lottery picks tbh
    Delicious ing food, I love you ST, never ing change worst trade deadline in history

Man, didn't think I'd see the day where I had to bump a timvp cliff-jumping bad take... How the times change....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a huge sucking got.
    Agreed tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never seen a poster so preoccupied with others' sexual orientations, tbh, it's frankly fascinating (and hilarious). You really spend more time fantasizing about other people sucking , than you do posting good takes that won't get ridiculed in a week on here, huh...

Freud's calling, my guy, gonna pick it up? Or are you scared of what's behind that door...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, didn't think I'd see the day where I had to bump a timvp cliff-jumping bad take... How the times change....
    Weird definition of cliff jumping or having a bad take, tbh. Everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away after the trade. By all indications, the Spurs were planning on keeping Chriss for the insurance money unless something fell into their laps. And it did.

I agreed with Chinook that the most troubling aspect of the trade was that it could mean that ownership was putting finances ahead of winning. I don't think anyone said that was 100% the case. But, as it turns out, the Dieng moves points to a scenario where the Spurs positioned themselves to basically sell a roster spot if they couldn't improve. They were able to improve and pulled the trigger. Good turn of events

Thread Information