Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/expendable...purs-veterans/

The Gist: Taking a look at the potential trade values of DeRozan, Gay, Mills, and Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good article for discussion.

Nobody else wants the Mills contract. There are teams that would take Mills, himself, but they don't want to pay him that much.

Same with Gay. His contract salary is too high.

The Spurs shouldn't consider trading LMA unless they can get a big to replace most of what he does. Maybe somebody knows of such a player.

The Spurs are on track to have a delightful amount of cap space in the summer of '21. Cutting into that for the sake of an extension for DDR would be lunacy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think LMA is the only one anybody would want. I can see the Warriors offering us a 1st rounder next year for him. I think Milwaukee would do the same next year. Portland might roll the dice as well depending on who they draft this year. They can’t afford to waste another year of Lollards prime. So I say 50:50 LMA is gone next year.

Rudy Gay: Nobody wants that corpse. Maybe Marks would do us a favor and trade for Gay to “strengthen” his bench next year when the Nets are contenders. They won’t really be contenders tho and KD is done being elite. There’s no other scenario I see of a team wanting Gay. 10% chance he’s gone next year.

Mills dude is a lifer

DeRozan hopefully opts out of his contract and bolts. The dude looks done this year anyways. He is mentally checked out. I’m actually low key proud of DJ with his constant positive at ude and his desire to win even though this is a lost year. If he does decide to opt in then nobody will trade for him anyways. It will be the exact same situation as last year. None of the good teams will want him and none of the bad teams will trade for him bc they no he won’t sign with them. Maybe (and I say maaaaybe) Toronto takes him back after losing in the 1st round this year. 100% hope he’s gone at the end of this year but if not 90% chance he stays with the Spurs the whole contract

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    at the very least, move demar and gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article
    They will all be expiring contracts so no long term commitment for the buyer.
    I come to think DDR is probably going to play out his contract. I suspect his market value is limited. As pointed out earlier by TIMVP the Spurs with a lot of tweaking have made him productive- not just empty stats. Can't see a team going for him
    Such an unusual player, just doesn't fit today's game very well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think LMA is the only one anybody would want. I can see the Warriors offering us a 1st rounder next year for him. I think Milwaukee would do the same next year. Portland might roll the dice as well depending on who they draft this year. They can’t afford to waste another year of Lollards prime. So I say 50:50 LMA is gone next year.

Rudy Gay: Nobody wants that corpse. Maybe Marks would do us a favor and trade for Gay to “strengthen” his bench next year when the Nets are contenders. They won’t really be contenders tho and KD is done being elite. There’s no other scenario I see of a team wanting Gay. 10% chance he’s gone next year.

Mills dude is a lifer

DeRozan hopefully opts out of his contract and bolts. The dude looks done this year anyways. He is mentally checked out. I’m actually low key proud of DJ with his constant positive at ude and his desire to win even though this is a lost year. If he does decide to opt in then nobody will trade for him anyways. It will be the exact same situation as last year. None of the good teams will want him and none of the bad teams will trade for him bc they no he won’t sign with them. Maybe (and I say maaaaybe) Toronto takes him back after losing in the 1st round this year. 100% hope he’s gone at the end of this year but if not 90% chance he stays with the Spurs the whole contract
    Mills and Gay combined are $26.5M in expiring contracts. You could trade them for a less than desirable contract and make that team give you a 1st rd pick for taking on the contract. Good examples would be Al Horford and Kevin Love.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nobody else wants the Mills contract. There are teams that would take Mills, himself, but they don't want to pay him that much.

patty has been >>>>>> gay this year for << money

tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Aldridge is actually the most trade-able tbh. I still think Miami and Portland are the most obvious options, particularly Miami.

They can trade their 1st after making a selection in this year's draft but the Heat and the Spurs can agree on the framework of a deal before-hand. Miami can also absorb Aldridge into their cap space, if the deal is completed on July 1st though they may want the Spurs to take back Olynyk's expiring.

Portland would have to move Ariza, Hood, and Collins to match salaries for Aldridge. Ariza quickly declining, Hood will miss most of next season and Collins has yet to stay healthy enough to breakout, three seasons in. The Spurs would need a first too but Portland might still do that deal; Lillard, C.J, LMA, Nurkic is pretty damn good core tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs shouldn't consider trading LMA unless they can get a big to replace most of what he does. Maybe somebody knows of such a player.

The Spurs are on track to have a delightful amount of cap space in the summer of '21. Cutting into that for the sake of an extension for DDR would be lunacy.
    - Disagree, Mills remaining contract is actually not bad plus his shooting could help a playoff team if they had expendable salary to acquire him. Spurs wouldn't trade him however.

-Gay for a bad contract makes sense for a playoff team. He's been pretty bad but is still pretty versatile. He did get some trade interest for that reason but the Spurs asked for a too much. He is probably worth a couple of low seconds.

-Disagree, tbh. If they can get a first for him then they'd be crazy to keep him. Have Poeltl start and Eubanks, Metu, or an FA as his backup.

-DeRozan has been fantastic this season, extending him for a season or two may actually increase his trade value if they were to shop him during the 2021 trade deadline. Spurs shouldn't operate as if they are going to be some FA destination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Disagree, Mills remaining contract is actually not bad ...

It's a crazy contract, twice what it should be. No other team would pay Mills anywhere near that much. He is far too much of a defensive liability.

-Gay for a bad contract makes sense for a playoff team. ...

The Spurs should trade Gay's bad contract for a different bad contract? To gain what?

The Spurs would have to give up draft picks to convince another team to take that contract they gave Gay. The "too much" that the Spurs were asking was probably the value of that contract. They found that nobody wanted it. Of course.

-Disagree, tbh. If they can get a first for him then they'd be crazy to keep him. Have Poeltl start and Eubanks, Metu, or an FA as his backup.

We saw against the Nets tonight what happens to the Spurs without a capable big man. Not pretty. The Spurs should not let LMA go unless they have certainty of getting another capable big (who's much better on offense than Poeltl.)

People have an inflated view of the worth of first-round picks. They aren't really that valuable.

-DeRozan has been fantastic this season, extending him for a season or two may actually increase his trade value if they were to shop him during the 2021 trade deadline. Spurs shouldn't operate as if they are going to be some FA destination.

DDR has never been fantastic. He doesn't even try to shoot 3s, he's a poor defender, he gives points to opponents with his moronic techs, and in the closing minutes of close games his brain locks up.

Extending DDR would be horrifyingly crap cranium stupid. It's the kind of thing a senile drunk would do.

I will tell you something about free agents coming to the Spurs: they won't If. The. Spurs. Can't. Pay. Them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills and Gay combined are $26.5M in expiring contracts. You could trade them for a less than desirable contract and make that team give you a 1st rd pick for taking on the contract. Good examples would be Al Horford and Kevin Love.
    I agree with that sentiment but I don’t want any part of longer tier contracts just for the 25th pick. I should’ve clarified that I meant trades I was ok with.
    Although I would take the Cavs one in a heartbeat, I don’t think they would give away the 3rd pick in the draft just to unload Love.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with that sentiment but I don’t want any part of longer tier contracts just for the 25th pick. I should’ve clarified that I meant trades I was ok with.
    Although I would take the Cavs one in a heartbeat, I don’t think they would give away the 3rd pick in the draft just to unload Love.
    Mills/Gay for Love and swap 1st Rd Picks. That’s probably more realistic for the cavs to take it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA will be traded to Portland for their number one and salary fodder. We will combine our number one along with Portland to move up in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA will be traded to Portland for their number one and salary fodder. We will combine our number one along with Portland to move up in the draft.
    Not sure what that trade would look like. Looks like they want to resign Whiteside this summer. You could play LMA at 4 and Whiteside at 5. That combo would fit better together that Nurkic and Whiteside.

Maybe...
    Nurkic/Hood/Collins for LMA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what that trade would look like. Looks like they want to resign Whiteside this summer. You could play LMA at 4 and Whiteside at 5. That combo would fit better together that Nurkic and Whiteside.

Maybe...
    Nurkic/Hood/Collins for LMA
    When healthy Nurkic was big for them, doubt they'd choose Whiteside over Nurkic.

Ariza, Collins and Hood for Aldridge work, financially. That would probably be the framework if a deal were to happen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at this team I am all for trading and getting rid of everyone serious not one player has been consistent all season. We had a good run but I am all for ripping the band aid and blowing this up and build through the draft ie Tanking hard for two or three season.

Look at trading anyone for future draft picks I don't care if it's a late one or early or late two just start trying to get more draft picks. Need to pray like we all did when Timmy and David were coming out into the draft!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a crazy contract, twice what it should be. No other team would pay Mills anywhere near that much. He is far too much of a defensive liability.

The Spurs should trade Gay's bad contract for a different bad contract? To gain what?

The Spurs would have to give up draft picks to convince another team to take that contract they gave Gay. The "too much" that the Spurs were asking was probably the value of that contract. They found that nobody wanted it. Of course.

We saw against the Nets tonight what happens to the Spurs without a capable big man. Not pretty. The Spurs should not let LMA go unless they have certainty of getting another capable big (who's much better on offense than Poeltl.)

People have an inflated view of the worth of first-round picks. They aren't really that valuable.

DDR has never been fantastic. He doesn't even try to shoot 3s, he's a poor defender, he gives points to opponents with his moronic techs, and in the closing minutes of close games his brain locks up.

Extending DDR would be horrifyingly crap cranium stupid. It's the kind of thing a senile drunk would do.

I will tell you something about free agents coming to the Spurs: they won't If. The. Spurs. Can't. Pay. Them.
    Yeah, I disagree on just about all of that.

-Trade Rudy's bad contract for another to gain second rounders. Thats what bad teams do to gain assets. There was definitely interest in Gay, its possible that they wanted a first for him, which is obviously too high.

-Mills may be slightly overpaid but certainly valuable, his shooting could definitely help a team. Moot point because the Spurs wouldn't trade him.

-The whole point of moving Aldridge and or DDR is to start a rebuild. That means getting worse. Poeltl is fine offensively, he's obviously not Aldridge but he doesn't need to be to effective. 1st's are a valuable commodity, not sure why you wouldn't value them, teams certainly do. Their essentially lottery tickets, given the spurs track record, I'd say that their more valuable to the Spurs than to an average team given that they consistently find talent in the 1st round.

-He's a bad defender and doesn't shoot 3's doesn't mean he isn't valuable. He could be better if he did those things but, as is, is still a pretty damn good offensive player. He definitely has to be better at controlling his emotions. Still, we're talking about 11 techs, and 11 points over 59 games. That's negligible.

-Technically true, I guess, but whats the point of being cap conscious if their not a destination? Significant cap space looks a uva a lot different to a big market team than it does to San Antonio. Spurs could re-sign him and shop him at the trade deadline, not saying that he has to be a Spurs for the next three years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I think we can easily get a first for LMA and DEROZZ the only question would be would it be protected or unprotected and a old vet or a young player with potential.

As I said before we only have 2 NBA starters on our team LMA, and DEROZZ everyone else so far are bench players.

1. Walker has potential but the way he plays I am always thinking he is going to tear his knee again
    2. White I thought he would be our starting PG but looking more and more like a good backup
    3. Murray has been hot and cold and to me should be moved as a SG
    4. Luka two years away
    5. Keldon I would keep I like his toughness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Trade Rudy's bad contract for another to gain second rounders. ...

The Spurs would have to give up draft picks to get rid of Gay's contract. Where'd you get the idea it's only the other team that would have to give draft picks? That just isn't true.

... There was definitely interest in Gay, ...

Sez who? You'll notice he didn't get traded, so the interest obviously wasn't that great. Nobody wanted that contract.

-Mills may be slightly overpaid ...

Mills is grossly overpaid. His contract is at least twice what it should be.

-The whole point of moving Aldridge and or DDR is to start a rebuild. That means getting worse. ...

So you're talking about intentionally doing things to make the Spurs worse than they are now.

Myself, I'm more interested in ways to make them better. Guess that's just me.

Poeltl is fine offensively, ...

5.3 ppg. No, he is not. Not even close. He can do a layup. He can do a little push shot/floater kind of thing sometimes. That's about it.

1st's are a valuable commodity, ...

Sort of. Not as valuable as people think.

-He's a bad defender and doesn't shoot 3's doesn't mean he isn't valuable. ...

It sure as heck hurts DDR's value. A "shooting guard" (or whatever he is now) who doesn't shoot 3s, in this era. C'mon now.

DDR will most likely pick up his team option because he'll find that nobody else will pay him nearly that much. Unless, he's disgusted enough with the Spurs he mostly just wants out. The latter could happen.

-Technically true, I guess, but whats the point of being cap conscious if their not a destination? Significant cap space looks a uva a lot different to a big market team than it does to San Antonio. ...

Nonsense. Don't believe everything you read on ST. The reason the Spurs have trouble getting free agents is because they usually don't have the money available. And you want to make sure that continues?

So what do you want to spends the team's money on - giving Forbes the supermax?

One more time: good free agents will not come to the Spurs If. The. Team. Can't. Pay. Them.

That is true. Really. It is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No great players do not want to play for Poop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would have to give up draft picks to get rid of Gay's contract. Where'd you get the idea it's only the other team that would have to give draft picks? That just isn't true.

Sez who? You'll notice he didn't get traded, so the interest obviously wasn't that great. Nobody wanted that contract.

Mills is grossly overpaid. His contract is at least twice what it should be.

So you're talking about intentionally doing things to make the Spurs worse than they are now.

Myself, I'm more interested in ways to make them better. Guess that's just me.

5.3 ppg. No, he is not. Not even close. He can do a layup. He can do a little push shot/floater kind of thing sometimes. That's about it.

Sort of. Not as valuable as people think.

It sure as heck hurts DDR's value. A "shooting guard" (or whatever he is now) who doesn't shoot 3s, in this era. C'mon now.

DDR will most likely pick up his team option because he'll find that nobody else will pay him nearly that much. Unless, he's disgusted enough with the Spurs he mostly just wants out. The latter could happen.

Nonsense. Don't believe everything you read on ST. The reason the Spurs have trouble getting free agents is because they usually don't have the money available. And you want to make sure that continues?

So what do you want to spends the team's money on - giving Forbes the supermax?

One more time: good free agents will not come to the Spurs If. The. Team. Can't. Pay. Them.

That is true. Really. It is.
    - It really isn't, if you think that's how the league work kinda naive tbh. Small markets don't generally get top tier FA's. Certainly not bad teams. The main reason why Aldridge came was because the Spurs were really good and he is from Texas.

-Where are you getting the idea of the Spurs having to give up picks to get rid of Gay??

-1sts are valuable, not necessarily to you apparently but they are valuable. If they can get a first for Aldridge or DDR, then they should jump on it. This team is going no fast. Why worry about "replacing" Aldridge when they'd essentially be subbing Aldridge out and another player into a bad situation.

Makes more sense to just tear down and rebuild, that requires be bad, acquiring high draft picks- as well as additional picks- to begin rebuilding. Spurs could still go the cap space route, though I don't expect that to yield a big FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When healthy Nurkic was big for them, doubt they'd choose Whiteside over Nurkic.

Ariza, Collins and Hood for Aldridge work, financially. That would probably be the framework if a deal were to happen
    not bad imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would assume that a protected 1st would have to be included for it to make sense for the Spurs but Portland might still do that deal imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - It really isn't, if you think that's how the league work kinda naive tbh. Small markets don't generally get top tier FA's. Certainly not bad teams. The main reason why Aldridge came was because the Spurs were really good and he is from Texas.

The main reason Aldridge came to the Spurs is because they found a way to pay him. I guess you weren't around then, to remember all that.

You don't recall, or don't know about, Tim Duncan taking about half the money he could have made on the open market, so the Spurs would have cap space to pay other players. You don't know about Tony and Manu also taking less, for the same reason. You don't know about the Spurs delaying Kawhi's post-rookie contract until the 2015 offseason, to have cap space as they looked for Duncan's replacement (who turned out to be Aldridge, and who the Spurs were able to sign because they were able to pay him.)

For you to pooh-pooh the idea of being able to pay players, well, it makes you appear less than bright. I think you really know better. You can't be that naive.

The money really does matter. Seriously. No foolin'.

-Where are you getting the idea of the Spurs having to give up picks to get rid of Gay?? ...

From his stinkin' contract, of course. Lol.

Gay's contract is for $14 M. How do you get another team to take him, when that team would only willingly pay him 8M or 9M? Think about it.

-1sts are valuable, ...

Not as valuable as people think.

... Why worry about "replacing" Aldridge when they'd essentially be subbing Aldridge out and another player into a bad situation.

What? You worry about replacing Aldridge so you can field a team that's not totally hopeless.

What is it you're talking about?

Makes more sense to just tear down and rebuild, that requires be bad, acquiring high draft picks- as well as additional picks- to begin rebuilding. Spurs could still go the cap space route, though I don't expect that to yield a big FA.

I will point out that the Spurs look pretty well torn down now. Out of the playoffs. How low do you want to go?

Thread Information