Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Burn The Thread. Horry Hipcheck's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the rest of the threads right now are doomsayers having circle jerks, I'll open this floor for discussion about strategies for Game 3. This isn't where we predict outcomes, or decide that the game is a formality for an inevitable 2-1 hole.

If YOU were head coach, what would you do to give the Spurs the best shot in this game?

Discuss.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many times did we see our guys run them off the three point line only for them to drive past us and then have the defense collapse and they end up getting a wide open three anyways? If they are getting open looks, we might as well just not overplay and just stay in front of them and force them to make threes.

When we run them off the 3 point line, they drive, everyone rotates off their man, and the Warriors are kicking it to a cutter or a wide open three. How many wide open threes did they get last night?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can hope and pray.

Burn The Thread. Horry Hipcheck's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Far too many, that's for sure. I agree that the defense needs to stop collapsing into double teams down low. They're not Dwight Howard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stay with your guy. If they beat us one on one so be it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our Defense is doing just fine. Our Defense got us back in Game 1 and pretty close in Game 2, the difference between the two games, was the fact that in Game 1 we made 3's and in Game 2 we weren't making our open shots. We just need to match their energy in the first half and not let them get a big lead. Our D needs to be there from the start. We can all say that our Spurs aren't playing there best, we need to move the ball around, that's the way we won all those regular season games, but after we move the ball around then we need to make shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get in the paint at will if the jumpers aren't falling.. Scratch that! Get to the paint right from the jump! And don't stand there and watch GSW outrebound you.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensively - Stay with the shooters and force them to drive the lane and finish at the rim. The only help defender allowed to peel off is whoever is guarding Draymond Green. Force him to go 10-10 from the 3 point line. If he does, GS deserves to win.

Offensively - Make open shots. Green and Leonard got plenty of open looks, just have to knock them down. If Splitter is healthy, force more pick and roll with him and make their defense collapse for kick outs. If Green and Leonard can shoot 35-40% from the 3 point line, we will win.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, start Leonard on Thompson and Green on Curry defensively with the strict rule not to help off of them. Force GS to post Barnes on Parker and use Splitter sporadically as a help defender if he proves he can consistently score in the paint. If he can get 30 on post ups, so be it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play much more active in the beginning of the game. Our D picks up during panic time. Bring that from the get-go. Keep it steady on offense. Just gotta convert the same looks we've been knocking down all season. Also, don't double Harrison Barnes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, you right. If the jumpers aren't falling, then they need to drive it end, and create contact, get to the foul line, anything to change the momentum.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many times did we see our guys run them off the three point line only for them to drive past us and then have the defense collapse and they end up getting a wide open three anyways? If they are getting open looks, we might as well just not overplay and just stay in front of them and force them to make threes.

When we run them off the 3 point line, they drive, everyone rotates off their man, and the Warriors are kicking it to a cutter or a wide open three. How many wide open threes did they get last night?
    Exactly. Running someone off the three point line implies that you were out of position to have to run them. Good teams can turn those into a better shot because you break down your own defense by overplaying.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, you right. If the jumpers aren't falling, then they need to drive it end, and create contact, get to the foul line, anything to change the momentum.
    Jumpers shouldn't be the first thing you're trying to do, especially against a better jump-shooting team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jumpers shouldn't be the first thing you're trying to do, especially against a better jump-shooting team.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever we did in the second half.

Put splitter in the lineup. That lineup should have earned a half in this series at least for what it did in the season.

Jackson said hes not afraid to play his bigs. I think whether hes bluffing or not our frontcourt is our best advantage offensively andi defensively. Splitters best at rolling, Duncan at popping. We could convert on alot of pick n rolls

More discipline on defense. I think having splitter backing up Duncan can help with their driving.

Also think we need to shorten our rotations. Neal has to play back up pg or alot less.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would feel alot better even If we lost knowing that we played our brand of basketball. Tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The opposite of what we tried to do in game 2. In other words, let Curry get his and keep everybody else on the team bottled up.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw must have been vary sore for game #2 after a long layoff before game 1 which he played intense minutes.

I would like to see him back.

And it is possible we might actually stay close, or even get a lead so we don't have to climb out of a virtual abyss?

Pop, the Mastermind superjames1992's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the rest of the threads right now are doomsayers having circle jerks, I'll open this floor for discussion about strategies for Game 3. This isn't where we predict outcomes, or decide that the game is a formality for an inevitable 2-1 hole.

If YOU were head coach, what would you do to give the Spurs the best shot in this game?

Discuss.
    I would have the Spurs score more points than the Warriors, tbh.

LOL.

#1 poster - @chazley
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glue Bonner to the bench. He has no use in this series.

Give Blair some minutes. We need his physicality. Test him for 2-3 minutes and if he's causing some havoc out there leave him in for a bit.

Stop comforming to the Warriors. Start Splitter/Duncan like we've done all season.

This team is getting out-competed and it's hard to watch. We played panicked defense in the second half of game 2, but if we can't play that way for 48 minutes we aren't stealing one on the road.

Refs were terrible in game 2. I'm never one to complain about this kind of stuff, but Warriors picked up a bunch of ticky-tack fouls in game 2 and it seemed like the Spurs couldn't get a whistle to save their life. To compound that, Warriors were knocking down 35% shots at a 60% clip. Not sustainable, and law of averages will catch up to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just play like what got them here.

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look for the pass and stop the iso hero ball bull . Our high octane offense is predicated on the pass which we did all of 5 minutes worth last night. We'd screen, throw one contested pass to someone who takes a contested jumper which they'd miss. Everyone else just standing around watching.

I'd force a minimum of three passes before shooting unless you're just wide open. And everyone moves off the ball, cutting and twisting the defense. Very little of which I saw last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make shots.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glue Bonner to the bench. He has no use in this series.

Give Blair some minutes. We need his physicality. Test him for 2-3 minutes and if he's causing some havoc out there leave him in for a bit.

Stop comforming to the Warriors. Start Splitter/Duncan like we've done all season.

This team is getting out-competed and it's hard to watch. We played panicked defense in the second half of game 2, but if we can't play that way for 48 minutes we aren't stealing one on the road.

Refs were terrible in game 2. I'm never one to complain about this kind of stuff, but Warriors picked up a bunch of ticky-tack fouls in game 2 and it seemed like the Spurs couldn't get a whistle to save their life. To compound that, Warriors were knocking down 35% shots at a 60% clip. Not sustainable, and law of averages will catch up to them.
    Good post.

By starting Splitter and playing him as many minutes as he physically can play, it makes the Warriors have to make a decision (when he's alongside Duncan): either go big and mess with their spacing or go small and risk getting pounded down low/on the glass. And if they go with the latter, which they inevitably would at times, then Splitter should be able to attract a double team with Barnes or Green on him. On the other end, I'm not worried about Barnes or Green doing damage off the dribble and having the Warriors attempting to force that is a win in and of itself.

I wouldn't bother with playing Blair, though. The rotation needs to be condensed. I'd have Joseph on a short least and if it's apparent during his initial stint that the stage is too big for him, I'd go down to eight. If Neal doesn't start looking like an NBA player again, I'd go down to seven and a half.

Thread Information