Page 91 of 171 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 4270
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree; i look at kai in the 1st round or even jericho sims in the 2nd and I see them doing things that Poeltl already does better. even if jones has more upside, how long does he take to develop?
    Drew Eubanks is already far better than Kai Jones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An example would be:

Having a #12 pick is like having $20k in hand to use on a new car or SUV, while already having a 2016 Camry and a 2016 RAV4. The vehicles available are a 2017 Camry and a 2017 RAV4. Your wife constantly complains about your 2016 RAV4. If you go for the 2017 RAV4, not only do you have a newer car but your wife is also satisfied.

On the other hand, having the #6 pick is like having $40k in hand and your options are a 2020 Camry and a 2020 RAV4. But wait, a 2021 Mercedes SUV has a special discount that became available to you for $40k. You don’t get that opportunity with only $20k in hand.

There are no 2021 Mercedes SUV’s coming down with a discount to $20k when you’re picking at #12.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 06-29-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That explanation would have been more entertaining if it replaced cars with drugs or strippers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An example would be:

Having a #12 pick is like having $20k in hand to use on a new car or SUV, while already having a 2016 Camry and a 2016 RAV4. The vehicles available are a 2017 Camry and a 2017 RAV4. Your wife constantly complains about your 2016 RAV4. If you go for the 2017 RAV4, not only do you have a newer car but your wife is also satisfied.

On the other hand, having the #6 pick is like having $40k in hand and your options are a 2020 Camry and a 2020 RAV4. But wait, a 2021 Mercedes SUV has a special discount that became available to you for $40k. You don’t get that opportunity with only $20k in hand.

There are no 2021 Mercedes SUV’s coming down with a discount to $20k when you’re picking at #12.
    None to sure I believe that idea. The history does not support it. In the last 10 or so years, the names Kwitter (15), Giannis (15) and Jokic (41) come to mind. (Not to mention Mithc and Booker at 13, Bam at 14, Gobert at 27 and Butler at 30). There is no guarantee a first option level player will be available, but there is definitely a chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None to sure I believe that idea. The history does not support it. In the last 10 or so years, the names Kwitter (15), Giannis (15) and Jokic (41) come to mind. (Not to mention Mithc and Booker at 13, Bam at 14, Gobert at 27 and Butler at 30). There is no guarantee a first option level player will be available, but there is definitely a chance.
    If you also look, there have been little to no star caliber point guards drafted past the #10 pick. In my earlier post, I said the talent level of the available wings at #12 usually surpasses the talent level of the available guards. From your list, there are no point guards listed. The guys in your list are the 2017 RAV4’s in my analogy— the vehicle you wisely spent your money on while also making your wife happy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you also look, there have been little to no star caliber point guards drafted past the #10 pick. In my earlier post, I said the talent level of the available wings at #12 usually surpasses the talent level of the available guards. From your list, there are no point guards listed. The guys in your list are the 2017 RAV4’s in my analogy— the vehicle you wisely spent your money on while also making your wife happy.
    You're seriously arguing that picks that became actual league MVP's are used RAV4's, not 2021 Mercedes's... Don't know what to say here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're seriously arguing that picks that became actual league MVP's are used RAV4's, not 2021 Mercedes's... Don't know what to say here.
    I don’t know what to say either. These are arbitrary cars that I chose. No one is literally getting the car. The point is, with the right decision, you can make your wife happy which is added value (which can lead to her cooking you breakfast or sexy time) than if you had chosen the other option.

Breakfast = High end role player
    Sexy time = all-star
    other option = marginally better player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know what to say either. These are arbitrary cars that I chose. No one is literally getting the car. The point is, with the right decision, you can make your wife happy which is added value (which can lead to her cooking you breakfast or sexy time) than if you had chosen the other option.

Breakfast = High end role player
    Sexy time = all-star
    other option = marginally better player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im definitely warming up to giddey. Sure that shooting touch needs work,but having a naturally tall&gifted playmaker opposite white couldn't hurt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im definitely warming up to giddey. Sure that shooting touch needs work,but having a naturally tall&gifted playmaker opposite white couldn't hurt
    Seen a couple mocks that have him going to New Orleans at 10. Would actually like that as it would push someone down to us, potentially Bouknight who is one of my pet cats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giddey’s weird hitch in his shot combined with the fact that he’s going to be a significant defensive liability (dude is going to get destroyed in the PnR imo) is why I’m not high on him. Hopefully another team reaches on him before we’re on the clock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seen a couple mocks that have him going to New Orleans at 10. Would actually like that as it would push someone down to us, potentially Bouknight who is one of my pet cats.
    That would be an incredibly stupid, yet unsurprising move by New Orleans. They have no concept of roster building. You would hope they’ve learned by now to surround Zion with shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giddey’s weird hitch in his shot combined with the fact that he’s going to be a significant defensive liability (dude is going to get destroyed in the PnR imo) is why I’m not high on him. Hopefully another team reaches on him before we’re on the clock.

An aggressive scorer wouldnt hurt for sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nbabigboard.com/p/podcas...-draft-combine

Chad Ford Pod. w/ Jeremy Woo from SI.com

Discussed players who rose through scrimmages, testing etc.

Last 15 mins though, they talked about players who really helped themselves with combine interviews.

Names mentioned who did well in interviews:

Quentin Grimes, Trey Murphy, Scottie Barnes, Isaiah Todd (humility and realistic expectations cited), David Duke

Both agreed that Jalen Johnson had to excel in interviews as there are still a few questions there.
    Unfortunately, while he didn't appear to do anything to damage his stock; he didn't help it enough. Teams were still left a little wondering.
    Playing cards close to his vest - can be frustrating for GMs.

I'd say the Spurs chances of drafting JJ are unlikely.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one knew that at the time. He’s talking real market value. Today. No one knows who might be a sleeper all star 5 years from now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If your drafting Giddey then your expecting him to be the main ball handler since that what he does best I don’t know how the will work with Murray and White. Also I think he would work best with players who like to shoot the 3 ball or a rim runner big which we don’t have

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BPA takes on a different definition when you’re drafting at #12 unless a top projected pick falls into your lap. There are no guys expected at #12 who is really set apart from the others. Especially no point guards.

It’s very even at that point. And I’m saying that with a huge favoritism for Wagner, Moody, Giddey.

If we were picking at #6, your comment would be more applicable since there’s a chance a true BPA falls.
    BPA is determined by the our FO. We aren't privy to it and I'm not speaking of general consensus, I'm strictly speaking of the FO view of who's BPA, not our opinions of BPA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BPA is determined by the our FO. We aren't privy to it and I'm not speaking of general consensus, I'm strictly speaking of the FO view of who's BPA, not our opinions of BPA.
    Fair enough. I’ll just say that it is extremely unlikely that the Spurs’ elite scouting can defy what’s been historically consistent, and that is why I think they’ll take the direction I expect them to. Could be wrong, but we have 30 days to find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mo7888

Ignoring the number of star caliber PG's drafted in the #10-#20 range (or lack thereof),

Teams generally avoid drafting PG's in that range.

Data set:

Counted each position:

Pie graph:

The question we ask is, why do teams avoid drafting point guards and centers in that range?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mo7888

Ignoring the number of star caliber PG's drafted in the #10-#20 range (or lack thereof),

Teams generally avoid drafting PG's in that range.

Data set:

Counted each position:

Pie graph:

The question we ask is, why do teams avoid drafting point guards and centers in that range?
    I would posit that the answer to that question is there are very few elite PG's and C's in any draft so they go early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would posit that the answer to that question is there are very few elite PG's and C's in any draft so they go early.

True, especially if youre going position specific

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun and Turkey just tipped off.

Sengun starting at the #4. Looks leaner. Moving well on D so far. Be huge for him if he can guard consistently on the perimeter.

Early days obviously….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, which means it would be the wrong move to go after a PG in our range, regardless of if they were "BPA" or not. Best to gamble for a wing, when there has been an abundance of them that have turned into stars. I know you disagree, and that's okay.

And you stated that elite PG's and C's come from the top. You are correct. Teams choose PG's and C's at the top as a result.

Data set

Counted each position

Pie graph

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, which means it would be the wrong move to go after a PG in our range, regardless of if they were "BPA" or not. Best to gamble for a wing, when there has been an abundance of them that have turned into stars. I know you disagree, and that's okay.

And you stated that elite PG's and C's come from the top. You are correct. Teams choose PG's and C's at the top as a result.

Data set

Counted each position

Pie graph

No it doesn't mean that at all... it means that you should trust your scouting. While the odds are low that a PG or C is the BPA at #12 if your scouting says he is then you pick him.

Thread Information