My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hit Houma

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The eyewall never hit New Orleans. It was well west of the city. We’re still without power but there’s minimal structural damage. The main damage was to the west of the city. Power restoration is the biggest challenge here but once restored recovery will be fine.
    yeah I heard people were crying for help on roofs at La Place and Metairie

Fortunately poor and flood-vulnerable places like the swampy northern New Orleans and the 9th ward got spared for the most part. Levees kept Lake Pontchartrain out of the city this time.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    yeah I heard people were crying for help on roofs at La Place and Metairie

Fortunately poor and flood-vulnerable places like the swampy northern New Orleans and the 9th ward got spared for the most part. Levees kept Lake Pontchartrain out of the city this time.
    LaPlace yes, it’s not in the levee protection system and completely flooded. There’s also huge structural damage there because it took a direct hit. My parents live in Metairie. They lost roof shingles from the wind but Metairie didn’t flood. It’s levee protected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we saw with the Snowpocalypse in Texas, regulatory capture has screwed the public again.

(many embedded links in the text)

Consumer groups say the now familiar post-disaster face plants of U.S. telecom networks are completely avoidable, and the direct result of industry lobbying to eliminate meaningful oversight of the sector on the state and federal level.

Three years after 2005’s Hurricane Katrina caused widespread wireless outages, the FCC approved new rules requiring that all cell tower sites have a modest 8 hours of battery backup in the case of a power outage—effectively the bare minimum.

Backed by the Bush White House, the cellular industry successfully lobbied to scuttle the rules, claiming they would have created “a huge economic and bureaucratic burden” for the industry. Sprint, now part of T-Mobile, complained at the time such rules would have created “staggering and irreparable harm” to the wireless industry.

In short, the U.S. wireless industry, which charges some of the highest rates in the world for mobile service, didn’t want to pay for fairly modest reliability upgrades. The industry’s successful bid to dismantle those rules would come to haunt victims of Hurricane Sandy in 2012, as well as victims of California’s historic 2019 wildfire season.

Incompetence by the local power utility (PG&E) helped kickstart that year’s disasters, and incompetence by the regional telecom companies perpetuated it. Shortly after the fires, FCC data showed that nearly half a million wireless subscribers lacked access to wireless phone service, again thanks to a lack of reliable backup power at many tower locations.

“Nobody likes to pay for emergency preparedness,” Harold Feld, a wireless policy expert and lawyer at consumer group Public Knowledge told Motherboard at the time. “That's why you need rules to force companies to spend the money. Companies will spend as little as they think they have to, which is why regulators need to tell them how much they have to spend.”

None of this is unfamiliar territory for the U.S. telecom sector, where companies routinely neglect aging infrastructure despite billions in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks, and regulatory favors. Instead of holding telecom operators more accountable for these failures, the trend has largely been to strip away both state and federal oversight of regional telecom giants.

“After Hurricane Katrina and Superstorm Sandy, both Congress and the FCC took a hard look at widespread outages,” Leo Fitzpatrick, a lawyer at consumer group Free Press, told Motherboard. “Instead of issuing a regulatory regime to address the identified vulnerabilities, such as a recommendation to require backup power on cell towers which carriers fiercely resisted, the FCC punted and put its faith in a voluntary regime devised by the industry.”
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyv9...ne-ida-outages

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like Katrina tbqh. Thousands stranded cant even leave home. No power no water. Alligators invading.

No help. Pretty soo. Im sure well see sign of SOS on rooftops.

Nothing has changed in so many years. Americans especially poor are always going to get ed and left to die.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like Katrina tbqh. Thousands stranded cant even leave home. No power no water. Alligators invading.

No help. Pretty soo. Im sure well see sign of SOS on rooftops.

Nothing has changed in so many years. Americans especially poor are always going to get ed and left to die.
    As usual you're talking out your ass.

Flooding isn't the big problem this time, it's power getting knocked out. The levee improvements kept Lake Ponchartain out of NOLA. Too bad for the other side of the lake though.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Power is back for a few areas. I'm kind of liking Austin, though.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Power is back for a few areas. I'm kind of liking Austin, though.
    Funnily enough, in the 9th Ward (Upper, not Lower though)

LaPlace yes, it’s not in the levee protection system and completely flooded. There’s also huge structural damage there because it took a direct hit. My parents live in Metairie. They lost roof shingles from the wind but Metairie didn’t flood. It’s levee protected.

Metairie including upscale areas still with no power, and it's 95+ with 110+ heat indexes. They need to GTFO until the power is restored because otherwise they'll die of heat strokes.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That (Brownie) guy that Bush2 used is better than what guy Biden has going. Where's Biden with all his ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cray

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 200 year flood nine years after Sandy.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That smart ass chick that took over for AC ain't so big shot this morning.

What's the matter babe, don't it float?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Texas snowpocalypse was kinda like that too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Texas snowpocalypse was kinda like that too

Our country is ed and un able.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Our country is ed and un able.
    The lightning strike?

Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *resemblance intensifies*

I was hired by the City of New Orleans to investigate why their power company, Entergy, simply can’t keep the lights on while citizens’ electric bills soar. That was in 1986.

In 35 years, nothing has changed my official conclusion: Entergy is a racketeering enterprise parading as a power company.

This week, Entergy lost 2000 miles of high-voltage power lines. I’ve worked on power systems worldwide and you won’t see that type of disaster in Bangladesh after a typhoon.

Why? To Entergy, hurricanes have become a profit center.

Here’s how they did it after Katrina. Entergy wouldn’t get the city’s lights back on for over a year. Not that they didn’t act swiftly: Just three weeks after the hurricane – Entergy took emergency action…by tossing its New Orleans subsidiary into bankruptcy. It was a nice trick to duck liabilities for its negligence and avoid fronting the cost of repair.

Yet, immediately after Katrina, Entergy posted a breathtaking 24% jump in profits for the quarter that it attributed to “weather.” But you don’t need a weatherman to know that this story blows: With New Orleans drowned, Entergy sold off the city’s electricity allotment elsewhere at a huge profit.
    https://www.gregpalast.com/louisiana...ct-of-entergy/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing DeBlasio

basement tenements are illegal precisely because they are fire/flood traps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another Snowpocalypse parallel. the hurricane has passed, but the danger to people remains.

(also, mass death in the Northeast put slow motion deaths in NOLA in the shade)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks, Joe

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    thanks, Joe

But at least Joe has 'em not raping one another in the "Superdome" this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information