Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only teams that have the luxury of benching promising young players are championship caliber teams that don't want to mess up their chemistry...

We aren't NEAR that... Why do we bench our young guys?

Like I said in the game thread, if Hachimura was on the Spurs, there's no way he would get consistent playing time...

Jokic would have probably been given the Lonnie treatment and wouldn't have grown into arguably the best center in the league... No WAY brogdon would have won rookie of the year... No WAY Luka (mavs version) would have started last year... Might not have even played... But we look at the young guys on other teams and marvel at their young stars...

U really think Pop would have played Siakam enough minutes to become who he is? If we had Siakam, he probably would have been like Metu.

Sometimes teams are developing one young player away from being a contender (see nuggets/ raptors / bucks/ etc)

Wtf do we have to lose? Currently at BEST we are first/ second round fodder...

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is exactly why the Spurs need to get rid of DeMar. Lonnie and the others are not going to get playing time with this veteran scrub around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where’s the dummy who was arguing with me about Pop playing Marco over Lonnie? He said it was a good thing lol. Now we have Pop playing Mills over White. But but Mills brings so much vet experience to the game Too bad he doesn’t bring defense and point guard play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has no prob playing young players; Manu, Tony, Kawhi and DJ (before he got injured) played on their rookie seasons. Trey is starting for us and he is young player, Jakob is also young, Bryn, Derrick and the list goes on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Were there better more promising younger players sitting on the bench during those times?
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's Pop. He's a senile idiot. We should be used to it by now. If the player is over 35 he'll play no matter how bad he is. If it's a rookie, he can watch from the bench. Talent doesn't matter, that's not the criteria that determines playing time in his "system"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is playing mills and beli it’s killing our defense we have giving up 110 + in each of the last two. Scoring isn’t the issue we have over 240 points scored. We need to lock down on d

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has no prob playing young players; Manu, Tony, Kawhi and DJ (before he got injured) played on their rookie seasons. Trey is starting for us and he is young player, Jakob is also young, Bryn, Derrick and the list goes on.
    Don't bring up those guys... This pop is different from the pop that coached the big 3...thats very clear...

And I'm talking about actual playing time like most rookies get... Being part of the rotation every game... No spurs draft pick knows whether they're gonna play or not in the first couple years... The only reason he played white last year was because he literally had no choice with every point guard getting injured

Lyles has been in the league for four years... That's VERY different from giving a rookie or a second year player consistent playing time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is playing mills and beli it’s killing our defense we have giving up 110 + in each of the last two. Scoring isn’t the issue we have over 240 points scored. We need to lock down on d
    The guy had freaking patty mills guarding Bradley Beal for the final play of the game... Even I could guard Beal better than patty did on that play

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy had freaking patty mills guarding Bradley Beal for the final play of the game... Even I could guard Beal better than patty did on that play
    Pop can’t put Murray on Beal for the last play of the game. I use to think highly of pop.. but it’s like he is on drugs. And not the good kind. His decision making is well I don’t have to elaborate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop can’t put Murray on Beal for the last play of the game. I use to think highly of pop.. but it’s like he is on drugs. And not the good kind. His decision making is well I don’t have to elaborate.
    This is the difference between people who watch the game and people who think they watch the game. You're the later. Murray was guarding Beal. Mills was guarding Isiah. If Mill's doesn't switch, Beal is wide open for the win. Great decision by Mills, and later Murray recovered to contest the drive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, when the Spurs needed to shed salary, why chose one of the the best three point & +/- guys, who actually performed well in a limited necessary role rather than one of the three or more unnecessary excess guards? There are nine guards. It makes no sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi played right from the start. Pop will play these guys if he thinks they are ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, when the Spurs needed to shed salary, why chose one of the the best three point & +/- guys, who actually performed well in a limited necessary role rather than one of the three or more unnecessary excess guards? There are nine guards. It makes no sense.
    Caroll, Gay, Morris would make it hard for Bertans to get minutes. Atm, Walker is the odd man out on the wing. Even if Beli was dump instead and Walker became in the rotation, who is behind Walker? So it kinda made sense to dump Bertans in this situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird to argue this on a night when we got lit up by a motivated Bert, a hero mode Beal and a typical outside performance from Ish Smith. We needed every last veteran play and that’s what we got to squeak out a win. If we played random young scrubs major minutes we lose this game by 10 and Bert drops 30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's Pop. He's a senile idiot. We should be used to it by now. If the player is over 35 he'll play no matter how bad he is. If it's a rookie, he can watch from the bench. Talent doesn't matter, that's not the criteria that determines playing time in his "system"
    Um, doesn't Lyles playing over Carroll complete invalidate your entire (stupid) argument?

Only bad teams just gift young players minutes which obviously isn't Pop's style for better or worse.

Also, I want to see Lonnie supplant Marco and/or Patty too, yet I realize there is 80 games left and plenty of time for him to show out and take their minutes away.

Nah, instead I can overreact and cry like a like all the trolls and fake "fans" on ST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m glad we won but you’re right. we need to at least be attempting to integrate the young guns. it’s ing ridiculous. I don’t care that we’re 2-0 knicks and wiz are ing dog we should beat them

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s time to start white and Carroll we need better defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I see a thread started by Duncan2k5 I know it’s going to suck ass. Thankfully this thread did not disappoint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the difference between people who watch the game and people who think they watch the game. You're the later. Murray was guarding Beal. Mills was guarding Isiah. If Mill's doesn't switch, Beal is wide open for the win. Great decision by Mills, and later Murray recovered to contest the drive.

Pop shouldn’t have played Mills in the first place in that situation. We needed a stop and he put in one of our 2 worst defenders. Bad coaching tbh and we are lucky it didn’t go to overtime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do we put in instead? Walker? Beli? Forbes? Remember they are marking Isiah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't bring up those guys... This pop is different from the pop that coached the big 3...thats very clear...

And I'm talking about actual playing time like most rookies get... Being part of the rotation every game... No spurs draft pick knows whether they're gonna play or not in the first couple years... The only reason he played white last year was because he literally had no choice with every point guard getting injured

Lyles has been in the league for four years... That's VERY different from giving a rookie or a second year player consistent playing time
    Derrick White saw significant minutes in his second year, you are just a hater!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop starting 23-year-old Trey Lyles while 40-year-old proven veteran DeMarre Carroll gets DNP-CDs.

Why doesn't Pop play young players

Pop is the best coach of all-time in terms of integrating young talent. Not even close, tbh. Sure, there's still plenty to complain about but his resume in this regard tops any other coach who has had prolonged success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop starting 23-year-old Trey Lyles while 40-year-old proven veteran DeMarre Carroll gets DNP-CDs.

Why doesn't Pop play young players

Pop is the best coach of all-time in terms of integrating young talent. Not even close, tbh. Sure, there's still plenty to complain about but his resume in this regard tops any other coach who has had prolonged success.
    couldn't find a single minute for scola tbh

Thread Information