Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that's pretty much what he averages when he gets starter's minutes so he wouldn't be needing to improve anything, just get the minutes.
    Lol and we’ve come back full circle. I didn’t randomly choose games in my first post. I chose the games that he started. Like I said, I just want consistency. Not 19 one game and 2 the next and then 14 and then 4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol and we’ve come back full circle. I didn’t randomly choose games in my first post. I chose the games that he started. Like I said, I just want consistency. Not 19 one game and 2 the next and then 14 and then 4
    You said you wanted 8/10 ppg from him. Well, he averages that when he gets starter minutes. Actually a bit more. I don't understand the problem

If you want him to score 8/10 pts every game, that's not how basketball works son. DeMar averages 20 ppg, sometimes he scores 30, sometimes he scores 10. It has been like this with every player since the beginning of times, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said you wanted 8/10 ppg from him. Well, he averages that when he gets starter minutes. Actually a bit more. I don't understand the problem

If you want him to score 8/10 pts every game, that's not how basketball works son. DeMar averages 20 ppg, sometimes he scores 30, sometimes he scores 10. It has been like this with every player since the beginning of times, tbh.
    Difference with DDR is for the most part I know what I’m getting from him. His 10 points would be Jakobs high average btw so it’s not fair taking that into account. It does make a difference bc Jakob starts from 10 and then gives me 2. Demar starts from 20 but gives me 10. It’s garbage when DDR does it, but atleast he is still giving me double digits

My very first post said I wanted consistency and then you randomly brought up about how I care about stats. Consistency on offense is what I want. Bc idk which Jakob is the real offensive Jakob. Bc it’s like every other game for him. If DDR was giving me 30 one game and 10 the next every other game I would complain about his consistency too btw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t need scoring from Jakob.

yes we do. He needs to punish guys on the pick and roll especially if the big is shaving off him too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Difference with DDR is for the most part I know what I’m getting from him. His 10 points would be Jakobs high average btw so it’s not fair taking that into account. It does make a difference bc Jakob starts from 10 and then gives me 2. Demar starts from 20 but gives me 10. It’s garbage when DDR does it, but atleast he is still giving me double digits

My very first post said I wanted consistency and then you randomly brought up about how I care about stats. Consistency on offense is what I want. Bc idk which Jakob is the real offensive Jakob. Bc it’s like every other game for him. If DDR was giving me 30 one game and 10 the next every other game I would complain about his consistency too btw.
    You are the one that brought up stats when you said you wanted 8/10 ppg from him, tbh. And what you are asking from Poeltl is unrealistic. When was the last time you saw a consistent 10 ppg player? 10 ppg role players are all inconsistent by nature because they aren't given the chance to create for themselves. They work with what others create for them. Sometimes they get plenty of looks, sometimes they get none. That's why they give you 15 pts one night and 2 the other.

For real, go back in time and check for any role player you want and try to see if you can find any 10 ppg guy that scored around that much every game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for reference, I leave here the '05 game logs of arguably the greatest role player in Spurs' history.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...1/gamelog/2005

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for reference, I leave here the '05 game logs of arguably the greatest role player in Spurs' history.

My God! Look at the inconsistency!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bowen never averaged 10 points a game. Ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did it matter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can we start calling this version Jakob 2.0 the same way we did for Diaw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet, his jersey is hanging from the rafters. Further proof that we don't really need Poeltl to score as much as you are asking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can we start calling this version Jakob 2.0 the same way we did for Diaw?
    too soon but must admit I was way wrong on him to start the year. Hopefully he keeps this up. Would love to see him start aggressively finishing around the rim with some fire. Sometimes a basket isn’t just 2 points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet, his jersey is hanging from the rafters. Further proof that we don't really need Poeltl to score as much as you are asking.
    Especially if we get Luka to step up at the 4 position... That's four highly talented scorers who all need their touches. Having Jakob pointlessly get touches to score an arbitrary 10 points is unnecessary.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-18-2021 at 05:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mean, don't you know what you're getting with Poeltl as well? High-level defense, rim protection, and yes, inconsistent offense. The same way that DD provides you (somewhat) consistent offense, but inconsistent D, and looks engaged on defense one night, and totally clueless the next one, players aren't machines and won't be completely consistent in their production. Definitely agree with DAFfy here. Also lol at "it's gargabe when DDR does it, but atleast he is still giving me double digits", why is the bar for good production suddenly to score two digit points? If we're relying on DDR to score, and he gets 11 points, it's a performance no matter what, and it's not significantly worse if he gets you 9 instead of 11.... Weird threshold to have.

I think Jakob can be as consistent on offense as our guards are. Y'all clowned on me (not just me, I wasn't the only one saying this) for saying we should wait until White is back before judging Poeltl's offense, and it's turned out to be, unsurprisingly, a correct take. White is an excellent PnR ballhandler and Jakob feasts as a rolling big, he can score much easily there thanks to his good touch around the rim than if you just dump the ball to him in the high paint and expect him to back someone down, or worse, do a turnaround-floater that he likes so much. I can absolutely see Jakob scoring 8-10 points a night consistently if he's given starter minutes and PnR action - but I also see that number dropping if Dejounte starts taking on more ball-handling action. They just don't have anywhere near the same level of chemistry.

Overall..... I want to see my Spurs playing again, tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, don't you know what you're getting with Poeltl as well? High-level defense, rim protection, and yes, inconsistent offense. The same way that DD provides you (somewhat) consistent offense, but inconsistent D, and looks engaged on defense one night, and totally clueless the next one, players aren't machines and won't be completely consistent in their production. Definitely agree with DAFfy here. Also lol at "it's gargabe when DDR does it, but atleast he is still giving me double digits", why is the bar for good production suddenly to score two digit points? If we're relying on DDR to score, and he gets 11 points, it's a performance no matter what, and it's not significantly worse if he gets you 9 instead of 11.... Weird threshold to have.

I think Jakob can be as consistent on offense as our guards are. Y'all clowned on me (not just me, I wasn't the only one saying this) for saying we should wait until White is back before judging Poeltl's offense, and it's turned out to be, unsurprisingly, a correct take. White is an excellent PnR ballhandler and Jakob feasts as a rolling big, he can score much easily there thanks to his good touch around the rim than if you just dump the ball to him in the high paint and expect him to back someone down, or worse, do a turnaround-floater that he likes so much. I can absolutely see Jakob scoring 8-10 points a night consistently if he's given starter minutes and PnR action - but I also see that number dropping if Dejounte starts taking on more ball-handling action. They just don't have anywhere near the same level of chemistry.

Overall..... I want to see my Spurs playing again, tbqh
    I don't think Jakob's increased offensive production was a result of White feeding him necessarily. I think White being back with the team on the court in general and off the court in the locker room, has increased Poetl's confidence on offense. Maybe someone can pull up the stats, but I'm not so sure Poetl's scoring has been on assists by White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it mattered. If the Spurs had more consistent scorers we never would’ve lost to the Lakers in 04. in 05 Parker, Manu, and Tim combined for 98 of our 105 points against Phoenix. They had to go God mode for us to win. When one of the big 3 struggled is when we lost bc we had no other consistent scorers. I mean Tim used to routinely score 40 in the playoffs and lose. Y’all may not remember those days but I do. 40 against the Lakers and we were swept. 40 and 15 in game 7 against Dallas and we lost. If Bowen could make a free throw then they don’t do hack a Bowen and we lose.

The point of him bringing up Bowen makes zero sense bc we don’t have 3 hall of famers anymore. We have zero. We don’t even have an all star. We have a buncha maybe all stars in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it mattered. If the Spurs had more consistent scorers we never would’ve lost to the Lakers in 04. in 05 Parker, Manu, and Tim combined for 98 of our 105 points against Phoenix. They had to go God mode for us to win. When one of the big 3 struggled is when we lost bc we had no other consistent scorers. I mean Tim used to routinely score 40 in the playoffs and lose. Y’all may not remember those days but I do. 40 against the Lakers and we were swept. 40 and 15 in game 7 against Dallas and we lost. If Bowen could make a free throw then they don’t do hack a Bowen and we lose.

The point of him bringing up Bowen makes zero sense bc we don’t have 3 hall of famers anymore. We have zero. We don’t even have an all star. We have a buncha maybe all stars in the future.
    Everyone can’t score 20 points every night. The good thing is, we have like SIX GUYS who can and have. Everyone doesn’t need to score. Some guys have other jobs. Jakob sets world class screens, rebounds like a maniac, and both quarterbacks the defense, and protects the rim.

There are young players who put the ball in the hole pretty well, but do nothing else. I’d rather have someone who does everything else, and maybe doesn’t score so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You don't like Bowen as an example? Ok, name me any 10 ppg role player that puts around 10 pts consistently every night. It can be anyone in history. I'll be waiting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We don't know what our players will become. It's foolish to say we knew what Tony and Manu would become this early in their careers either. That's a cop out argument.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone can’t score 20 points every night. The good thing is, we have like SIX GUYS who can and have. Everyone doesn’t need to score. Some guys have other jobs. Jakob sets world class screens, rebounds like a maniac, and both quarterbacks the defense, and protects the rim.

There are young players who put the ball in the hole pretty well, but do nothing else. I’d rather have someone who does everything else, and maybe doesn’t score so much.
    man the points are just going up and up lol. All I asked is for less games of 2 and 4 points from Jakob and now everyone is saying I’m expecting 15 and now 20 points. We have these scorers now but what about next year was my point. Gay will be gone. LMA. Patty. DDR. That’s 60 points a game just gone next year. Just no more 2 point games please. Especially next year bc we will lose those games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man the points are just going up and up lol. All I asked is for less games of 2 and 4 points from Jakob and now everyone is saying I’m expecting 15 and now 20 points. We have these scorers now but what about next year was my point. Gay will be gone. LMA. Patty. DDR. That’s 60 points a game just gone next year. Just no more 2 point games please. Especially next year bc we will lose those games
    No more 2 pts games, what's the barrier? 4, 6? Just so we know, tbh.

I hate to be a (not really ) but sometimes you gotta admit when you realize you weren't making a very good point, tbh. I think you realized this but instead of acknowledging it, you are going down with the ship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. If Jakob can get his FT percentage up before the Spurs again are playing meaningful games (i.e. playoffs, with a serious chance to advance), then that's all I really ask of him. Otherwise, he fits his role well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was always of the opinion that the most important positions are the 1 and the 5 unless your wings are two-way players. I like some of the things Poetl brings to the table but if we are talking about championship contention we need to see more offensively, a go to post move for example, a solid mid range jumper for some pick n pops when LMA is gone. He needs to add some things if he's our starting 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more 2 pts games, what's the barrier? 4, 6? Just so we know, tbh.

I hate to be a (not really ) but sometimes you gotta admit when you realize you weren't making a very good point, tbh. I think you realized this but instead of acknowledging it, you are going down with the ship.
    My first post literally said my name parameters but since you don’t know how to ing read I had to explain it in like 15 posts. In my first post I said I wanted consistency and you went off on this long ass weird tangent where I’m expecting 15 points a game from him. And at bringing up stats in an argument. I don’t like him being good one game offensively and then extremely ty the next game. Pretty clear stance. I never mentioned a point total until YOU brought it up randomly.

And then you randomly brought up Bruce Bowen when a) it was a different era. b) it was a completely different offense. And c) we had 3 hall of famers in their prime to offset his ty ass scoring. Also Avery ing Johnson and Johnny Moore are in the rafters. That doesn’t mean anymore when you dilute it like that. But if Bowen could score we wouldn’t have lost in 04 to LA where they triple teamed Tim and he kicked out to ty shooters and in 06 where Nelson took him out of the game by hacking him and once again he couldn’t shoot worth .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't know what our players will become. It's foolish to say we knew what Tony and Manu would become this early in their careers either. That's a cop out argument.
    I see you dropped the whole “did it matter?” sarcastic response Bc as a Spurs fan it was annoying af watching Tim get doubled only for Bowen, Turk, Horry, and first year Finley miss every open jumpshot and we lose 2 very winnable series/championships. The fact that Tim only won 4 in his prime is a travesty. We also should have 3peated.

And it’s not a cop out. I mentioned that the youngsters could evolve but for us to be successful next year, I believe Jakob is going to have to step it up offensively. It’s not some grand statement.

Thread Information