Page 205 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 1051551952012022032042052062072082092152553057051205 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 40770
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People die every day and have since people have lived. Are you calling the seasonal flu results "inevitable carnage"?

You sensationalize it for whatever reason, perhaps you have a doomsday, Alex Jones type outlook on life.
    You seem to pride yourself on knowing what anonymous posters are really like. It's adorable

I have a special file for free paychoanalysis from strangers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People die everyday, why was WWI such a big deal anyway?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People die every day and have since people have lived. Are you calling the seasonal flu results "inevitable carnage"?

You sensationalize it for whatever reason, perhaps you have a doomsday, Alex Jones type outlook on life.
    What's your proposal for society right now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the 1st two are roles, the 3rd is a service. Imagine the LE was run by multiple organizations, each bidding for contracts. Let one of their officers shoot an unarmed person. That wouldn't just lead to someone being relieved of duty - it would lead to loss of contract for the entire company. Stretch that to the military as well. What private company could spend enough to outfit carriers, air forces and land forces in hopes of landing a contract? Meanwhile, there are doctors who can open private practices without needing 400 billion as a down payment. Sure it's something we have to have to survive, but so is food. Should grocers be federally run? What about housing? Should that also be owned by the feds so everyone has the same house and there are no private builders?
    Not really, no. All 3 are services. Both our LEO and Defense are professionalized, they're jobs and they get paid for what they do. Yeah, they have a mission that goes beyond money making, that's primarily why they're run by the government (although contract defense companies and private security are both a thing). When we used to have a draft and we forced kids to go to war, that was role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But sure, how far do you want to take the 'higher than money making' missions, and is healthcare one of them. Fair question.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have great research but we in no way shape or form have the best healthcare. You can pick whatever metric you want to show that, and none of them show the United States as the best. I just don't know how you would make this argument and back it up in anyway.
    Because we can cure special folks that have very special disorders.
    But I’m not ready to defend our entire healthcare system because the basics are way more prevalent.
    We still have an unusually large % Of our pop that does not understand basic preventative hygiene.

But as I reread my post I see I did give that impression. I should have said this is the way some feel because they had a very tricky disorder fixed here and only here. It is rewarding. But the mundane old flu still and dehydration still kicks our butt. People don’t even know basic hydration of their infants. On and on... basic stuff is boring, but highly prevalent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never bet against America.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A massive corporation has issues with not getting free money? I'm shocked.

Nathan, what was going to be your cut from the pie if this passed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But did you hear about the grenade Pelosi done threw at it?
    No, what happened?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing I'm just mocking Nathan's tweet post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People die everyday, why was WWI such a big deal anyway?
    It was the first time people shot at each other with pistols, from planes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the 1st two are roles, the 3rd is a service. Imagine the LE was run by multiple organizations, each bidding for contracts. Let one of their officers shoot an unarmed person. That wouldn't just lead to someone being relieved of duty - it would lead to loss of contract for the entire company. Stretch that to the military as well. What private company could spend enough to outfit carriers, air forces and land forces in hopes of landing a contract? Meanwhile, there are doctors who can open private practices without needing 400 billion as a down payment. Sure it's something we have to have to survive, but so is food. Should grocers be federally run? What about housing? Should that also be owned by the feds so everyone has the same house and there are no private builders?
    Some Libertarians actually believe privatized law enforcement would be more efficient and accountable because the profit motive would demand them to be.

The last sentence is engaging in a bit of that all-or-nothing thinking. Just because this one thing should be federally run, doesn't mean everything should be federally run. Also, I don't see any reason why privatized healthcare and universal healthcare can't co-exist? (how it is in Germany). Same way you can buy a gun and hire a bodyguard to protect you or have the police protect you, or use both.

And I would argue that grocers should be federally run if they're a show and are constantly running low on supplies and overcharging for the quality of their goods and services (relating this the healthcare/insurance industry jacking up prices on things like walkers).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inside the COVID-Denialist Internet Bubble

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-bubble-142960

^ hilarious/sad read, tbh...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OT: if I have on major gripe with media in this emergency is the fact that they all left their paywalls enabled. Information at this time should be readily accessible, IMO. I've seen some, very few, outlets do it.
    NYT, wapo, FT, afaics, have exempted their pandemic articles from paywall

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYT, wapo, FT, afaics, have exempted their pandemic articles from paywall
    At least with the NYT, you still need to create an account and give up your info. No thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LATimes still has the paywall.

EDIT: same for Financial Times. Just clicked on their article on the stimulus, got rewarded with a menu of paywall options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: 'We're going to be fine'

https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-lau...210318391.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: 'We're going to be fine'

https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-lau...210318391.html
    China ENFORCED "stay at home" with cops, military, drones. Not gonna happen in other countries, esp not US of A! Freedom!

China is NOT an instructive example, except for Trash who echoed China's suppression of and lying about the crisis.

USA can't even test, only a few states have stay-at-home mandates

The more USA tests, the more infections it finds.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    China ENFORCED "stay at home" with cops, military, drones. Not gonna happen in other countries, esp not US of A! Freedom!

China is NOT an instructive example, except for Trash who echoed China's suppression of and lying about the crisis.

USA can't even test, only a few states have stay-at-home mandates

The more USA tests, the more infections it finds.
    Until you can prove to me the Bat soup has been X'd. No more shielding for the Chinaman

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least with the NYT, you still need to create an account and give up your info. No thanks.
    The good old times when all you needed to do was turn your browser to incognito.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany is reporting lots of deaths now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never bet against America.
    Nathan89 is.

Anyone who's wants to cure profits before people is too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Any Trump decoders out there tonight?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Any Trump decoders out there tonight?
    Trump's willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of Americans for Wall Street profits and for his perceived electoral prospects.

He's freaking out, when all he has to do is act soothing and follow the advice of people who know better than him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just Wall Street winehole. We are gonna be looking at massive economy disruptions. Maybe even great depression level despair. My initial optomism is long gone. This IS a war and like a war, there will be losses. The safest plan with the least loss of life to covid19 would probably be nationwide shelter in place for six to nine months. The tradeoff would be the total destruction of the world economy. There will ultimately be a compromise between total safety and trying to keep the world economy from self destructing. As an individual you always have the option of staying home.

Thread Information