Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turning the attention to teams attaching assets to move contracts for a moment... We've discussed Horford... but what about the Kemba contract? How much would they need to attach to move it into our cap space?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turning the attention to teams attaching assets to move contracts for a moment... We've discussed Horford... but what about the Kemba contract? How much would they need to attach to move it into our cap space?
    Kemba Walker?? Contract price of $36 mil next year.

Hard pass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kemba Walker?? Contract price of $36 mil next year.

Hard pass.
    That's the point...he's got an awful contract and they'll have to attach assets to get him...play him or buy him out it doesn't matter... I'm looking for what assets they'd need to attach to get rid of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the point...he's got an awful contract and they'll have to attach assets to get him...play him or buy him out it doesn't matter... I'm looking for what assets they'd need to attach to get rid of him.

Well, to start with, I’d want every draft pick the Celtics have, from now to eternity, before I’d take that Kemba contract. Then, if they’d also toss in Brown for free, agreeing to pay his salary themselves, we could talk.

But seriously, I don’t think the Celtics have anything, that they’d let go, which would make the Kemba contract acceptable. Looking at their roster, nothing there is that attractive.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Dejounte here as our starting pg, I imagine it would take a lot of moves for it to happen or make sense. But I would love for the FO to at least consider big moves if it made sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, to start with, I’d want every draft pick the Celtics have, from now to eternity, before I’d take that Kemba contract. Then, if they’d also toss in Brown for free, agreeing to pay his salary themselves, we could talk.

But seriously, I don’t think the Celtics have anything, that they’d let go, which would make the Kemba contract acceptable. Looking at their roster, nothing there is that attractive.
    It's hard to know what they'd attach now that Ainge is out of the picture but, suffice it to say, they are goingbto try very hard to move him and they are going to attach assets to do it. I'm not particularly enamored by their roster either. It would need to be picks for me to be interested.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id want 2 1st round pics for kemba at least

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id want 2 1st round pics for kemba at least
    That's kinda what I'm thinking too...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to know what they'd attach now that Ainge is out of the picture but, suffice it to say, they are goingbto try very hard to move him and they are going to attach assets to do it. I'm not particularly enamored by their roster either. It would need to be picks for me to be interested.
    Most likely, Kemba will go to another team that has a bad, very expensive, contract to move. I’m sure there must be ways to finagle a bad contract trade so that both teams benefit.

People can say what they want about the Spurs, but at least our duds have not been THAT expensive. For example, LMA this last year ended up costing only half of that Kemba contract price. It easily cudda been worse, with the way things are around the NBA.

I don’t see Kemba coming to the Spurs, because we don’t have any contracts that bad to move out. I don’t know who does, offhand, but I’m sure there’s some around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely, Kemba will go to another team that has a bad, very expensive, contract to move. I’m sure there must be ways to finagle a bad contract trade so that both teams benefit.

People can say what they want about the Spurs, but at least our duds have not been THAT expensive. For example, LMA this last year ended up costing only half of that Kemba contract price. It easily cudda been worse, with the way things are around the NBA.

I don’t see Kemba coming to the Spurs, because we don’t have any contracts that bad to move out. I don’t know who does, offhand, but I’m sure there’s some around.
    I don't think he goes for an equally bad contract. They'd just keep him if that were the case. I'm also NOT predicting he comes here because I don't have any idea of what direction the FO wants to choose. I'm just talking about it IF the FO chooses to take the option of acquiring assets for bad short term(2 years or less) contracts. If they go that route Kemba is a possible target.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would only trade Kemba for an upgrade. This dumping thing for 2 picks does not make sense cause they would be getting worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would only trade Kemba for an upgrade. This dumping thing for 2 picks does not make sense cause they would be getting worse.
    It assumes that they have another player somewhere they want to acquire with the space or in a secondary trade... you're correct that they aren't doing it in a vacuum for just empty cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs wanted a wrong side of 30 sort of Star with a longish contract, they’d just re-sign DeRozan. The reason they won’t is that they’re keeping their powder dry for 2023. Kemba blows that out of the water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he goes for an equally bad contract. They'd just keep him if that were the case. I'm also NOT predicting he comes here because I don't have any idea of what direction the FO wants to choose. I'm just talking about it IF the FO chooses to take the option of acquiring assets for bad short term(2 years or less) contracts. If they go that route Kemba is a possible target.
    A bad contract for one team may not look quite so bad to somebody else tho. It depends on cir stances. Just as a wild - and maybe screwy - example, say that the Mavs decide they seriously want to move Porzingus. (sp?) And they want a veteran shooter to pair with Luka. Then the Mavs and Celtics might talk about Porzi for Kemba. Their contract prices are within 5 mil.

Not offering that as an expected trade, but just as the kind of thing I mean. Possibilities exist, is all I’m saying.

For the Spurs, thank goodness we don’t have any junk to try to move out at 30+ mil. Since the Spurs are looking at so much cap space, it might not be astonishing if they took a contract that another team sees as bad. But I’d expect a contract, or two, in the mid-price range. Closer to 15 or 16 mil. So it doesn’t hurt too much if it doesn’t work out. Call me cautious. (And hopefully forwards.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm adding Reggie Bullock as another target since the Spurs need 3 point shooters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bad contract for one team may not look quite so bad to somebody else tho. It depends on cir stances. Just as a wild - and maybe screwy - example, say that the Mavs decide they seriously want to move Porzingus. (sp?) And they want a veteran shooter to pair with Luka. Then the Mavs and Celtics might talk about Porzi for Kemba. Their contract prices are within 5 mil.

Not offering that as an expected trade, but just as the kind of thing I mean. Possibilities exist, is all I’m saying.

For the Spurs, thank goodness we don’t have any junk to try to move out at 30+ mil. Since the Spurs are looking at so much cap space, it might not be astonishing if they took a contract that another team sees as bad. But I’d expect a contract, or two, in the mid-price range. Closer to 15 or 16 mil. So it doesn’t hurt too much if it doesn’t work out. Call me cautious. (And hopefully forwards.)
    I agree that possibilities exist... and we are in pretty good position contract wise....we just need put FO to pick a direction and pursue it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm adding Reggie Bullock as another target since the Spurs need 3 point shooters.

Definitely somebody to look at. Over 40% on 6+ three attempts per game. Superb at the ft line, over 90% this last season, altho on few attempts. But he can shoot. I don’t remember watching him play, but the advanced stats look good for him on defense, too. Last contract was 4.2 mil, and he’s unrestricted.

A Patty replacement??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that possibilities exist... and we are in pretty good position contract wise....we just need put FO to pick a direction and pursue it.

About picking a direction, amen brother. Either reach for the stars, or take the plunge. This bit of trying to maintain the status quo, and hoping to make the playoffs, it sux. Lose 10 of the last 12 games when you’re NOT trying to tank, and playing the veterans, jeez louise. It’s just plain depressing.

But I’m not really talking about tanking outright. I really mean letting the youngsters play. A lot. If it were me — which it isn’t, but anyway — I’d play Vassell 24+ minutes per game next season regardless of what happens. Same with Luka, 24+ minutes. Regardless of how it goes. We need to know if they can play in the NBA. It’s important information. If the W-L record gets even worse, so flippin what. We’re not in contention anyway, and we’d learn some things. I could cheer for the kids, and I’d understand what was happening and why. I think that should already have been done, this season. Last season. All I mostly saw last season was that Rudy can do Rudy type stuff, and Patty can do Patty type stuff, and the same with DDR, and , I already knew that. I could say a lot more too.

My rant for the day.

About free agents, or trades, it doesn’t appear that true stars are available this year that the Spurs could get. If an honest to goodness star was available I’d toss everything in the pot to try to get him. Otherwise, caution.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given their predicament, they should be casting a wide net. This is something they should be exploring more than pursuing, but as others have said, the Celtics are in a precarious spot with Walker (just as the Mavericks are with Porzingis), in that as much as I'm sure they'd like to move his contract, they're also trying to win now and sacrificing draft capital to get off of it is not going to help on that front.

They'd be out assets, still lacking flexibility and the free agent class is weak anyway.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bullock but the questions I would have is a what price and what position does he play.

The spurs are pretty much set in rotation at the guard and small forward spot. Between Dejounte and Derrick starting, Jones and Lonnie off the bench, Keldon and Vassel, the 1 2 and 3 positions don't have any real minutes for someone new unless somebody already on the team is not getting minutes. Luka might get some minutes at the 3 as well for when Pop wants to go ultra big.

This is a bit of a problem with all this cap space. The only thing we really NEED is an offensive big cause Poeltl is such a pussy, and a back up big for when Poeltl gets into inevitable foul trouble. Anybody that doesn't play the 4 or 5 is just going to eat into somebody else on the team minutes, and i think a lot of those minutes are set in stone. Bullock isn't going to play the 4 or 5 for us so then the question becomes how does he get minutes over our other guards and wings and then how much money are you paying him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO Spurs will improve internally but I still think (hopefully with 2 of 3 - DeRozan, Patty, Gay gone) Spurs need more 3 point shooting at SG-PF position. In today's NBA it is quan y over quality; it can never hurt to have more shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chris Haynes
    ChrisBHaynes
    1m
    San Antonio Spurs will not extend a qualifying offer to young guard Quinndary Weatherspoon and he’ll become an unrestricted free agent, league sources tell @YahooSports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chris Haynes
    ChrisBHaynes
    1m
    San Antonio Spurs will not extend a qualifying offer to young guard Quinndary Weatherspoon and he’ll become an unrestricted free agent, league sources tell @YahooSports.

Not really all that surprising considering Tre already jumped over Weatherspoon in the rotation, but I still thought they'd keep Q for another year or so before letting him go over to greener pastures. Ride on, cowboy. A lot of memories were made.... right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    E. double post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chris Haynes
    ChrisBHaynes
    1m
    Not a surprise to me, anyway. I think his ticket was punched when Tre was drafted and signed to the big club roster.

Thread Information