Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game Recap

The Spurs played one of their better defensive halves of the season in the first half, allowing 44 points. And although, they gave up 56 in the second half, that seemed to be more the result of playing at a comfortable pace as they handily finished off a victorious game that never seemed to be in doubt.

Grades

Kawhi Leonard - C-

For the first quarter and and a half we largely saw a 2011 Kawhi; and not the 2011 Kawhi that made his corner threes and did the intangibles; rather, we saw a timid Kawhi that was not assertive and vanished offensively. Some of this is because he just didn't seem to have his shot tonight. This happens to everyone. But eventually he played like the veteran leader he has became and sought to make plays against inferior plays, and his game steadied. And in the second half, he was a steadying force as the Spurs kept the Wizards out of reach. If he was another player, I might go as high as a B; however, more is expected of him, and I'm grading him on a reverse curve. And I'm taking him from a C to C+ to the C- based on his one rebound performance. Has he ever had that poor of a rebounding game?

Danny Green - C+

Like Kawhi, he was just lost on offense in the first half. But like his wing counterpart, he did play solid defense to justify his time on the court. Though, I'd have to rewatch the game to figure out how much of the Wall/Beal 46 pt on 19-39 FG is on them. But when I was watching them, they seemed to make the right plays. Though, DG came out lazy on the first defensive possession, he seemed to tighten the screws after that. He was reliable from the outside, and that's why he's in there as Pop says. Despite not finding many flaws in DG's game, I can't go into the B range on a night when the SG couldn't muster 5 shots though.

Paul Gasol - C-

His defense produced mixed results. I don't recall him ever being in a defensive crouch all night long though. Offensively, he made some shots; but he looked flustered and unassertive at times. The bright spot was his rebounding; he finished with 10 boards.

LeMarcus Aldridge - C+

I know that the box score looks pretty good for him at 27/7 on 9-17 FG; but his lack of tenacity at taking the ball against a soft defense was telling. Whenever he made strong moves to the basket, he had the defense on its heels. Yet, he only did that 6 or 7 times in the entire game.

Tony Parker - A-

"Patented Parker" as the announcers said. He was doing spins and getting to his spot for made shots, and he did well defensively even. And when he got a little hot, he didn't press his luck at the cost of the team like in the past. Though, he didn't do much in terms of setting up others. Nonetheless, he created a good pace on offense.

Patty Mills - B+

He was crisp and got to his spots and shot efficiently. His 5 points right off the bench in the 1st set a good tone and seemed to deal a blow to the Wizards, who never seemed to believe they could win this game.

David Lee - C+

Seven boards in twenty minutes is nice; but he never seemed to make a mark on this game.

Jonathan Simmons - B

He gets a B based on results; but on any other night this type of execution could've led to a D. His lack of mid range game is telling. it's always a shot off a screen from a foot inside the three or attacking the basket. This makes him easy to defend. And defensively, he just does not anticipate what a team is going to do. On an up-note, he did well on the drive and kicks.

Davis Bertans - D

Defensively, he was soft. Offensively, he clumsily ran through motions and even confused teammates on plays that led to turnovers. I'm going to be lenient in that perhaps his presence helped to spread the floor, and he still ended up with a plus four.

Kyle Anderson - C-

You'd think a guy averaging under 2 a game and wanting minutes would do the little things like make his free throws. Though he didn't do any horrendous plays that I saw, he did not seem to be a game changer whatsoever either.

Bryn Forbes / Nicolas Laprovitolla / Dejounte Murray - C-

They came on in garbage time and did nothing to speak of. But I can't go lower than this grade for a minute of relatively meaningless play short of something horrendous occurring.

Pop - B

I'm going to assume he got in this team's ear and told them that their recent losses to this team were simply due to a lack of effort. He didn't have any crazy rotations tonight. He didn't have too much to stress about either. However, he did not rally the troops to close this game out sooner; so, he was in cruise control as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With those scores you'd think they lost the game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up Spurt, I might have given the at least a B but you seem to be wanting/expecting more from him, not just hating. He was the high scorer in a win, that usually merits at least a B-. We got great contributions from the PG position tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With those scores you'd think they lost the game.
    Ha was thinking the same. Tough grader.

Appreciate the writeups though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the work, Spurtacular. Glad to see soccer didn't call you away this time. Not loving your grades, though. I think outside of Tony, you graded everyone pretty harshly given that they blew out Washington. Guess you have high standards for them, though. Wall and Beal going off had a ton to do with those guys playing so many minutes. Simmons wasn't good defensively this game at all, though his plus-minus wouldn't suggest that. I did think Parker was fantastic in this game. And I loved the defense inside the paint. The amount of balls the Spurs managed to get their hands on was amazing to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough grader tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee only put up 4 shots tonight, in 20 minutes, but he made half of them. And I thought he did everything else pretty damned good. I'm not going to write a book on it, but that grade puzzles me.

Simmons? For who he is, and what he is expected to be at this point, about the only negative I saw from him tonight was the fouls. He made 5 of his 6 shots, one of them being a 3, and he got 4 FTA's and made all of them. Best of all, he had more AST's than Parker, and just as many as Patty. His 2 steals and 1 block are sort of cherries on the cake. B is a reasonable grade, or at least close enough. But I can't figure why this kind of performance would earn a D on other nights. Sounds like you don't like who he is, but this is who he is. He's obviously worked on using his penetration to get other guys good shots, and it's paying off.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on 27/7 is good enough for at least a B

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please, whoever is in charge of allocating the grade threads, don't let this happen again, tbh..

I'm Calm
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. I'm glad you were never one of my teachers in school.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. I'm glad you were never one of my teachers in school.
    Reminds me of my Soil Mechanics teacher in College. Toughest grader in history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades man

Pretty harsh I'd say. If I hadn't watched the game, I would have thought that the Spurs lost the game by 20

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on 27/7 is good enough for at least a B
    24/7 I mistyped. And probably it was good enough for at least a B upon some extra reflection. I had to rush my grades and write-up because I have an unexpected happening and I have to leave the house, and I didn't want people waiting til ungodly hours for the grades. More on all this later.....

Though to add, I think I had it in my mind that I didn't want him too far ahead of Kawhi when I don't think he necessarily had even more of an impact on the game than his 'alpha' counterpart.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on you for not inflating grades like some other people. I agree with most of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd give Aldridge a B for his bail out jump shooting in the first half,a well as how he looked to attack Morris in the first and Peter on the second halves.

Lee gets an A- he set some great screens and played well on d.

Simmons is a B+ he didn't turn the ball over as much as he would have in the past, even though the rest of the team was Sloppy with the ball. He also want great on d but his weaknesses didn't cost him and he had some nice steals/blocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please, whoever is in charge of allocating the grade threads, don't let this happen again, tbh..
    Next enrollment period will start on 12/20 or so. First come, first served for folks who want to donate their time. I'm not turning down anyone who wants to contribute. As you well know, grades take time and effort.

You're welcome to throw your hat back in the ring if you can fit it into your schedule. Some of the new posters don't know how good of an analyst you actually are when you type more than a couple of sentences puntcuated with emojis or acronyms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fiends don't let fiends grade games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had anyone not seen the game and just looked at the OP's grades, they should still think we beat the Wizards........in 2OT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can tell he put some work on it, and that's appreciated, tbh, thanks...

but it's difficult to take these seriously...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW - I did comment in the game thread that I still haven't figured out a player that LMA can post up. Maybe Fathead, but he's on the same team. A guy who's 6'11" and supposed to be a star in the league should have some pretty lofty expectations, including being able to post up second-tier big men. I don't blame you one bit for giving LMA a C+. We've talked about the grades being somewhat based on expectations. LMA certainly didn't put in more than a middle of the road performance for a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write up, but I'm also not a fan of some of the grades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades!

Kawhi that was not assertive and vanished offensively. Some of this is because he just didn't seem to have his shot tonight.
    AN UGLY .16 3P%.

I just read and like some thoughts on Kawhi tonight. If any of them are yours...Sorry guys, I steal them!

"If Kawhi is #1 on FG% Drives and #1 on PPP as Pick and Roll ball-handler why he takes so many bad three-point shots?"

"He should attack more instead of settling for 3's. 1-7. How many missed 3PA he needs to realize that?"

Me: F*cking Agree.

"Kawhi drawing fouls like an easy diet for him"
    Me: That's what I'm talking about.

"Only Kawhi Leonard has better clutch plus-minus than Mike Conley this season."
    Me: This means nothing but I like it.

"Kawhi's assist damn look sexy"
    Me: Well, he was the team leading assist guy.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 11-27-2016 at 12:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Simmons - B...And defensively, he just does not anticipate what a team is going to do. On an up-note, he did well on the drive and kicks.
    Some athleticism on D is welcome...His block was nice. But I agree with you, most times he looks lost on that end.

Offensively, it's great to have at least one of Simms/Davis doing well, that can hide some Parker's or Manu's bad performance in the future.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People hate on LMA for no reason had a great game today too..

Guess they're just trying to fit in lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad grades. Poor writeup.. (This forum has really tanked btw, such mediocrity). Its as if the OP watched a different game. The Spurs are playing an NBA team. The Wizards aren't a JV league squad. And they were playing them on a back to back. All things considered, it was a good win and a good performance. And Simmons played well today, taking jumpers that he was avoiding in the previous games. Should give him "confidence...baby.. confidence".

Thread Information